Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation-Induced Pleurisy?

Options
2»

Comments

• mbrandes
    mbrandes Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Options

I am SOOO glad to see this information.  I am just done with radiation but noticed a few things that became lke a band around my chest earlier in the week, not getting better,  sounds like what is described as pleurisy.  Terrible pain, thanks for all the info I will be going to my oncologist to discuss this, as the radiologists said no way it ws linked to radiation, how the hell do they know!! Something is up and it's not good.

• dogeyed
    dogeyed Member Posts: 84
    edited September 2011
    Options

I am familiar with pleurisy, I had it twice waaaay back before I quit smoking and wound up with pneumonia twice and at another time pleurisy twice.  The pleurisy is rather painful, sharp sensation, kind of on the outside side of the bottom of the lung, feels like it's under the lower ribs at bottom and on side.  When you breathe, it hurts.

Fast forward to my visit with my radiologist (rads start Tuesday).  She told me I might get pleurisy, and since I knew what that was, I understood.  So, there you have it, ladies, SOME radiologists know about this stuff.  So, I fully expect to get it, and if so, one thing I did gain from reading this thread was the use of steroids (prednisone) helps this thing a lot, as well as taking deep breaths to expand those lungs.  I cannot recall what I took when I had it years ago, but it did indeed go away with treatment.

I appreciate all who shared on this forum, even tho most of this thread was a year ago.  And I just wanted to add to it, since I have had pleurisy unrelated to radiation, and also that MY radiology doctor TOLD ME I might get pleurisy from radiation.  It does hurt to where a person is uncomfortable, a sharp pain every time you breathe.  It's a collection of fluid around the lung, and it does require treatment.  GG

• Unknown
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi - all good information and I am glad you all take the time to respond.  I am a year out from radiation and was just diagnosed with radiation pleuritis.  I had pneumonia like symptoms not associated with cold for a month and got a CT scan to determine the cause.  Will be treated with steroids (prednazone) for 2 weeks.

• Stily1
    Stily1 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hello!

I'm probably a bit unusual on this forum, being male and all, but I wanted to post to say thank you for sharing all of these stories (I've not read them all), and that chest pain following radiation is not limited only to cases of breast cancer treatment. I'm 3 months out from chemo and radiation for a tumour between my left lung and aorta (started in my lymph system there) and while my treatment has gone very well and I am enjoying full clinical remission, I *have* developed radiation-induced pleurisy.

Generally this has been slowly abating, but once in a while it flares up, like this morning. It's 3:30 a.m. and I'm up on the couch here in London UK (I'm from San Francisco, California) with two kittens as the pleurisy made it too painful to lay down to sleep.

Rather bad pleurisy was my first indication of a problem early in the year, which lead to diagnosis of my tumour. I didn't have any trouble with the pleurisy *during* my treatment (three chemo sessions followed by 'polishing' radiation), but it came back following radiation. Perhaps I have some tendancy towards pleurisy? Heck, it may have saved my life as in my case it's what got me back in to see my oncologist. This tumour was a 2+ year metastatic recurrence of tonsilar squamous cell carcinoma that I had treated in Canada in 2010.

Ah well, ONWARD THROUGH THE FOG!

-Seth

• Cldroberts
    Cldroberts Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Options

I'm so grateful to have found this page. I too experienced what many of you went through. After treatment 10, I woke up at 1am with horrible chest pain. It was a crushing pain on my upper chest that made me very nauseous. Hurt to breathe and I thought I was having a heart attack. My husband called an ambulance and I was off to the ER. After a CT scan, chest X-ray, and blood work the 2 ER Drs and the on call radiologist came back with the diagnosis of radiation induced pleurisy. They prescribed prednisone and naproxen. I spoke with my Onc later that day and she said the pleurisy was from an infection not radiation. That it couldn't be radiation induced.

I had developed a dry cough a couple of days before and it arrived with an excruciating headache. I believe this was the beginning of the problem that resulted in pleurisy. I spoke with my Onc about the cough when it started and she said it was likely a cold. Though no one around me was sick and I had no other symptoms, i accepted this at face value until the ER visit.

It seems like the entire medical community accepts that radiation is damaging during treatment with the glaring exception of radiologists. Why is that? Why do radiologists insist that damage can only occur after radiation is complete?

It defies logic to assume that bad side effects can only manifest 1-6 months after treatment. These rare side effects can occur during treatment. The question for me now is should I stop treatment or try to continue. At this point I am deeply worried about developing pleurisy again and it leading to permanent scarring, pulmonary fibrosis, or a blood clot in my lung. It feels like I'm having to choose a medicine that could be worse than the disease.

• Minercm
    Minercm Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options

Just left ER with exact same issues. On steroids and can't take a deep breath without pain. Hot flashes are back since I had to stop estrogen. I am 11 days into radiation. I cancelled rad today. I'm sure my rad dr will disagree also. TY for sharing.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited June 2016
    Options

We are so sorry to hear what you are going through, Minercm. Unfortunately, this is an old topic, but yes, it does happen. We hope you find help and support from your radiation oncologist, as well as from our community!

• HBK
    HBK Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2016
    Options

Finished radiation at the end of August. Diagnosed with pleurisy in December, 4 months after radiation.

Relieved it wasn't a heart attack or blood clot. Very scary symptoms, especially since I had a small panic attack from being scared and made it seem worse. Told everyone in the ER about my radiation treatment. No one mentioned the connection. But the stabbing pain centers on the very spot on my lung that the radiation Dr. had told me they couldn't avoid hitting. And it branches out from there. On Motrin, which is helping.

Humidity helps my pleurisy. Feel susceptible to the condition as a former smoker and suffered from bronchitis as a kid. Condition brought on under cold, dry conditions - driving north from Florida to New England. Car heater, hotel heat, both very dry

Very thankful for this forum. First helpful advice I've gotten. My doctors never warned of this side effect. Very frustrating how they won't be straight with us.

Love and strength to all of you.

HB

• celand
    celand Member Posts: 223
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi,

Completed radiation treatment 11 of 30 scheduled treatments. After very first treatment I experienced a flu-like feeling. I told the rad techs about it and they said that it couldn't be due to radiation this soon as fatigue doesn't set in until about 3rd week. The nurse told me that same thing, I told the RO as well but did tell her that I noticed that I felt better after taking a walk. She didn't say anything. Well, now, after the past two treatments, I have noticed that I have a runny nose following my treatment that lasts a short time, as if I am catching a cold but doesn't develop into a full blown cold. I am going through some shortness of breath spells and not really sleeping well at night - it comes and goes. I have not noticed pain yet but I am concerned about this getting worse - is stopping radiation an option?

I did tell the RO a couple of weeks ago that I will take as many radiation treatments that I can tolerate, she looked at me and said "you will be able to tolerate them and finish".

I don't know - this is definitely scaring me.

Celand

• longsam007
    longsam007 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

Just now seeing this post of yours from 2008. I had a similar attack, several months after having had breast cancer radiation. My radiation ended in mid-2016, and the attack was in March of 2017. I wanted to die! It was worse than the pain of FOUR natural childbirths I went through! I have received varying responses from the several doctors who treated me, beginning with the ER physician. The ER physician said, "Your heart and lungs are fine, but you have inflammation of the sac around the heart. I'm a lightweight with meds, so I opted to just take Aspirin. Still experiencing dull pain two months afterward, I was switched to Naproxen. I brought up the possibility of radiation influence after reading about it online. My GP said, No chance. Still having pain 5 months afterward, I was referred to a Cardiologist. Interestingly, he let me SEE the visuals from the initial ER visit and pointed out the plethera of spots on THE LUNGS. I was confused as to why the original doc didn't mention the pleurisy on the lungs,

I hope you are all okay now. I am concerned that mine will not be going away soon. I have been switched to Colchicine (sp?) just 3 days ago, and I do hope this makes it go away.

I wish you the best.

• sdianel
    sdianel Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2017
    Options

I had radiation in May 2017. Have had many horrible side effects for 5 months! Latest one: A week ago developed severe pain in ribs around to spine. Hurts when I move or breathe. On pain meds. So bad that even 10 mg oxycodone only dulls it somewhat. Also taking 1000 mg Tylenol every 12 hours. Radiation Oncologist said referred pain from breast lymphedema pain because I’m sitting crooked?? Don’t think so. Much different pain. No X-ray or scan to diagnose. Also put me on pentoxfylline and vitamin E. Using heating pad and hug pillow when I move. Can’t take nsaids because have ulcer. My experience at major cancer center is they either lie or are incompetent when it comes to side effects. Also There is no ER when there are complications. Once the radiation is over, you’re on your own! Would never do radiation again!

• mimie
    mimie Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2017
    Options

So relieved to find this blog. I finished radiation 9/20 and was rushed to ER 10/1 with chest pains. After 5 hours of tests they found nothing. I spoke to RO following day and he recommended 600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours. We were going on a 3 week Mediterranean cruise and the RO said to go. I was miserable. After the trip saw a cardiologist who ordered blood work (SED rate and C Reaxtive Protein) and echocardiogram. He thought it could be pericarditisand started me on a 5 day decreasing pac of prednisone. It helped at first but 2 days after I was finished it was worse. Echocardiogram was normal but blood work indicates severe inflammation so he consulted with MO, and tried to talk to RO. MO said it sounded like inflammation of chest wall and put me on 40 mg.of prednisone (hard to sleep on that dose). Down to 10 mg 3 weeks later and RO told cardiologist to add back the ibuprofen. RO said he didn't get anywhere near chest wall during radiation. I see him 12/28. This is so dipilitating. I can't exercise am fatigued. As others have noted lying flat is painful as is bending forward. I'm being treated at a major cancer center in Miami and my MO has only seen this one other time. They were clueless at the ER associated with the cancer center, and RO doesn't seem like he wants to step in and get involved

• mimie
    edited December 2017
    Options

if anyone who reported having this please let me know does it eventually go away

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited December 2017
    Options

I had pleurisy just before my diagnosis. It went away with antibiotics. Have they tried that? Do you have pleural fluid? Have they mentioned doing a biopsy of the fluid? In general I was told lung damage from rads is not permanent. As I was being radiated front and back (for spine mets) they expected 10% of my lungs to get damaged but that it would heal. It did heal although I can't say how long it took as I didn't really feel it and the pleurisy did not recur. I hope your RO has some answers for you.

• mimie
    edited December 2017
    Options

Heidihill - thank you so much I will ask RO about antibiotics and inquire if I have pleural fluid. We really need to advocate for ourselves. Glad to hear it went away in your case.

• sdianel
    edited January 2018
    Options

Mimie, mine went away after 2-3 weeks. I did go on Pentoxifylline and vitamin E the last week of pain but not sure if that helped or not. Hugging a pillow or brace seemed to help. My daughter had a Velcro one that she used for exercising but that was too limiting. The pillow and heating pad helped. I also took deep breaths even tho it hurt really bad. I did have pain meds because I was going to PT for lymphedema and fibrosis. I had to demand another RO and demand they do something! Call patient advocate or Dept Head. Show them this thread! After 7 months I finally feel better. As soon ad chest pain subsided, I got severely sciatica for 4 weeks! My body isn’t dealing with inflammmation anywhere! The ER not at cancer center gave me prednisone and anti inflammatory shots and Valium for 3 days. Prayers for you.

• mimie
    edited January 2018
    Options

sdianel- thanks for sharing your experience. I was referred to a Rheumatologist, which at first I was very skeptical about, but the treatment seems to be working. I'm taking Naproxin (instead of ibuprofen), 7.5 mg of prednisone, methotrexate, folic acid, and colchicine. After two weeks I feel a lot better. I'm lucky that my cardiologist took an interest in my case and wouldn't stop until we found a solution.

• Newaican
    Newaican Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi. I am so glad to have read topics on side effects of radiation and adriamycin. I recently had a bout with pneumonia and experienced breathlessness. It is difficult to determine when my symptoms began but I had breast cancer in 2005 for which I had Chemo therapy and radiation. A few years later I had Lung cancer and had the lower part of my right removed. No treatment required. My recent experience with breathing problems seemed to be exacerbated by contracting pneumonia. I must also note that I have always maintained a cough after the lung surgery with no explanation why it never goes away. I went on a heavy antibiotic with no reduction in symptoms. After going to the ER I find I have fibrosis and fluid behind the lung which I was told is a side effect of radiation treatment. I have also been diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure from the chemo treatment. I am currently on heart medication for the heart but has any one else experienced these symptoms after being cancer free for more than 10 yr

d

• TammyWhammy
    TammyWhammy Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    Options

I'm was afraid radiation therapy would ruin my body. I'm eight days into radiation and I have a form of pleurisy. My chest started to hurt more and more, than breathing in & out was hurting, sleeping on my side at night was hurting. I called the radiation nurse to tell her that I'm canceling radiation today due to this. She said this does not happen due to radiation. I know the onset of this was from the radiation. This is Thursday. I told the radiation nurse my chest was starting to hurt on Tuesday. From there, the pain increased daily. I went to my Family Dr today and they put me on ibuprofen 800mg/day and Steroids (prednisone 10mg, 4-3 days, 3-3 days. I thought I was going crazy until my son found this forum and I knew this is what I was experiencing. I'm very healthy and run and workout consistently.

• sdianel
    edited May 2018
    Options

Tammy, the RO told me it was “referred pain” from my breast pain! I said that I had breast pain from radiation 4 months before the rib pain! It’s called chondritis I think. The cartilage in the ribs is damaged and creates inflammation. I found it in 10 minutes on the internet. 2 doctors outright lied to me and did nothing to help. I can’t take ibuprofen and Tylenol did nothing. I had it 3 weeks! So painful!! After that I got severe sciatica for 6 weeks! I have had sciatica before but usually only lasted week to 10 days. It’s like my body can no longer that care of inflammation. I was in pain almost bedridden for 8 months. Thankfully in January I started feeling better. Hang in there and do your own research.

• sdianel
    edited May 2019
    Options

update on my rib pain: The RO told me it was "referred" pain from my breast. I argued with her and explained my breast pain was soreness and my rib pain was stabbing.. She did NOTHING. She didn't do xrays or scans. She didn't give me any pain medication. I had the pain in Oct 2017. My radiation was May 2017. The pain lasted 6-8 weeks. I couldn't function. Had to hold a pillow to my ribs to move at all. Right before my radiation I had a CT scan for diverticulitis. Fast foward to April 2019. I had another CT scan for a kidney issue. In that report, it showed SEVERAL HEALED BROKEN RIBS!!! I did nothing to break several ribs in 2017!! My ribs spontaneously fractured. I believe it was due to the radiation. Please insist the RO do more tests if you have rib pain!!!! You can Google chondritis and rib fractures following breast cancer radiation. I found it in a few minutes. I sent the cancer center an email telling them what happened so it wouldn't happen to anyone else!!

• Augustkm
    Augustkm Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thank you all for your posts. My radiation dr at first said I was suffering from anxiety and must see my primary care dr. A few hours later, a PA called and told me I have pleurisy. With Covid 19 rampant, the best I can do is a telephone call tomorrow with primary care. I have had only 4 radiation treatments and great pain. Cancelled one when I could not pull myself out of bed. When I went for the treatment where the dr. reviews my "progress", he said all my positioning and calibrations had to be redone because my breast shrank over 3 ounces. That was before I unloaded my symptoms. I asked if I could return to my first office after the recalibration and she said they never did that. The settings only applied to that one machine. I reminded them that they calibrated in one office and treated in another already for me. A problem? I don't know if I should continue.

• Augustkm
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thank you all for your posts. My radiation dr at first said I was suffering from anxiety and must see my primary care dr. A few hours later, a PA called and told me I have pleurisy. With Covid 19 rampant, the best I can do is a telephone call tomorrow with primary care. I have had only 4 radiation treatments and great pain. Cancelled one when I could not pull myself out of bed. When I went for the treatment where the dr. reviews my "progress", he said all my positioning and calibrations had to be redone because my breast shrank over 3 ounces. That was before I unloaded my symptoms. I asked if I could return to my first office after the recalibration and she said they never did that. The settings only applied to that one machine. I reminded them that they calibrated in one office and treated in another already for me. A problem? I don't know if I should continue.

i

• Augustkm
    edited April 2020
    Options

I have stopped radiation after only 4 treatments. My primary sent me to the ER and they diagnosed pneumonia. They said it was community pneumonia despite my normal white cell count and prescribed antibiotics. The meds do not seem to be doing anything but at least the radiation stopped and I feel my body struggling to survive.

• SAL21
    SAL21 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2020
    Options

I am glad I found this thread. I had the same thing happen. After my 10th treatment, I woke up with sudden chest pain in the center of my chest. And pain was much more intense when lying flat. I thought I was having a heart attack, or had COVID. Went to the ER, they ran tests for lungs, heart, bloodwork looking for infection and all came back clear. They told me it was probably pleurisy caused by radiation. Sent me home with 600 mg ibuprofen, pain meds and a heartburn med. GP on my one week follow up agreed that it was likely due to the radiation and she prescribed a muscle relaxer which helped some also. Radiologist told me that they did not think the radiation caused it. She would not say it was not possible, but said she had never seen it in a breast cancer patient before. She said she had seen it rarely in lung cancer radiation patients. It took a couple weeks on the ibuprofen for the pain to go away. The pain moved during this time. It started in the middle of my chest, then moved under my left breast down by the rib, then directly under my breast with some stabbing pains and breathing problems. Also pain in my upper left side back/neck that was really bad and stiffness in my left shoulder. The back/neck pain took longer to go away than anything. So, I finished my radiation and was feeling better, now 5 weeks later after finishing radiation it suddenly showed up again in the exact same places. After 3 or 4 days on ibuprofen and pain meds it has calmed back down.