Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Will I ever stop itching?

Options
2»

Comments

• pamfightson
    pamfightson Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    Options

That's interesting to know. I am almost 6 weeks out of a UMX and my affected side gets itchy.

• cattywompus
    cattywompus Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    Options

I had a mastectomy w/recon about 1 1/2 years ago. I still get a rash under the breast that last a couple of days. The PS has me put a cream on it to help with the rash but I'm also suppose to keep up with putting a moisturizing lotion on the breast and it seems that will bring on the rash too. Sometimes it's just a no win situation with the rash. Wish I knew how to get it to stop too.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited February 2015
    Options

I think you are describing Phantom Itching Pamsfightson, I had it too, for quite a long time. My Surgeon told me it would dissipate by the 12 month mark. I still get it occasionally and I am over 2 years out now. The only thing I can suggest for you is to get a fairly rough towel and rub your back as though you were drying it after a shower. That is about the only thing that gives me any relief. My Surgeon said the Phantom Itch is caused by the regeneration of the nerves from the back, to the front where they were severed in the surgery, so this rough towel treatment can usually satisfy the itch at the front, if you scratch the nerve that is causing it at the back.

I think your rash is a completely different thing cattywompus. I wonder if it may be worth trying something really simple, like cornflour, the next time you get the rash. It may be caused by warmth and perspiration and the cream is making it worse. Just a thought.

• cattywompus
    cattywompus Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks Ariom. I'll try the cornflour next time I get a rash and see if it helps!

• mckatherine
    mckatherine Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2015
    Options

Just an update - I finally realized the itching I was feeling was actually my shirt seams rubbing the numb skin under my arm - and the sensation I felt was referred almost around to my back! I gently rubbed the skin on and off for a few days to de-sensitize it (after spending a very interesting day trying to not let it be touched at all!) and that really helped.

Hope you are all doing better!

• LJS1995
    LJS1995 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Options

I've had two Mastectomies: Left 1995 and Right 2006. I went through the expander process and implants with out any real complications on both sides. I use to be able to go braless because the fake girls were in there proper place. While in the Bahamas approximately 2010, I developed an intense intense intense (did I say it enough) itching mainly in my left side (first surgery). Eventually over the week, the second side also started itching. I lived on Benadryl (internal and external). When I arrived home, I made an appointment with my surgeon and she noticed my breast fell (thank you gravity). Her thought was to add a "shelf" to my ribs for support (more surgery) or considered having the DIEP reconstructive surgery. As time went by, the itching basically stopped. At times it flared up, but wasn't horrible. Since I was not looking forward to more surgery plus needing a hysterectomy, I made the call the let it go.

Now...May 2015, the deep itch is back and is actually waking me up at night! As you can see from my timeline, I've been dealing with breast cancer since Jan 1995 at the age of 31. Now 52, and surgery has made me pay a price...but I'm the only survivor in my family so I have zero complaints.

Is there any one out there who has a similar situation? I'm actually have a consultation tomorrow to discuss options. I'm considering removing the implants. I do not want to have another surgery and the problem continues.

• tesskimmey
    tesskimmey Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    Options

its been six years and the sporadic itching seems to be getting worse. this time it started last night, but not too bad. continued throughout the day today, became increasingly more intense towards evening and by bedtime was non-stop.i have the numbness, you can't feel scratching kind, over an area covering my right underarm and continuing to radiate downward and around to my back, approximately a six inch square area. tonight i cannot get to sleep at all, it is so bad. it is 2:30 AM and i am writing this. i am so desperate. i will try the pepcid and the cortisone ointment as soon as the stores open. going crazy!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited August 2015
    Options

tesskimmey, please let us know if the creams helped you. Have you discussed this with your doctor as well? Terrible not to be able to sleep from this!

• KittyL
    KittyL Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ran across this forum by accident, looking for advice for thoracic central neuropathy from osteoporosis microfractures & worried about exacerbations from upcoming surgery. I wonder if the same drugs that work for secondary neuropathy (diabetes, amputations-no pun intended) would help get you over the hump if it's that intense & caused by nerve damage, not skin irritation. I take Lyrica (no generic & horrendously expensive copay) to damp down lower limb neuropahy (numbness, intense(!) itching, excruciating scalding pain) from back surgery, to keep it damped down but have to be careful because can cause vertigo & I don't need to tilt, fall & break. There are couple of other drugs in the same class. Also consider allergies. Some things to discuss w/your PCP or MO...

• MamaWheaton
    MamaWheaton Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had a bilateral mastectomy almost 6 years ago. I finally decided to see if I was alone in this itching thing! I'm glad I'm not the only one, but at the same time, not happy about the fact that others are suffering from it either. I wish I could tell you that it goes away, but in my case... NOT! Honest to goodness I think I'm going to lose my mind at times. To me it feels like a tickle behind the implant, against my chest wall. I can't get to it! Sometimes I flex my breast (lol) and it feels like it takes care of it for that moment :-) My right breast has done this pretty much all along, but now my left one has kicked in. Lord have mercy! I really don't mean to fuss and carry on, but I'm itching right now :O ...... I really do thank God that my cancer is gone and that He's been with me through it all. I guess I'll just have to just deal with the itching.
  • JEQ
    JEQ Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Options

I had a bilateral mastectomy just under a year ago, following a lumpectomy and radiotherapy ten years ago. I only itch on the side of the radiotherapy and at times it has kept me awake at night. Recently tried Rescue Remedy and it completely stopped the itch. Hope it is of help to others out there.

• Spin1
    Spin1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Options

So glad to find this topic & your post LJS1995! My op was 16 years ago & I had a lot of itching & sensitivity over the first 5 years as the nerves healed. In the last few weeks I've been having physiotherapy on my neck & shoulder & low & behold the itching is back along with a feeling of tightness in my breast! It's such a familiar feeling & I can only presume that the physio has upset the nerves again. I still have numbness under my armpit & the back of my upper arm & shoulder. I had a lot of trouble with swelling in my arm 3 years ago too. Heyho - it's a long job!

• moderators
    edited April 2016
    Options

Spin1-

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We hope you start to get some relief soon, and you're right, it is a long job!

The Mods

• Unknown
    edited April 2017
    Options

I hate to disappoint anyone but I had my mastectomy 25 years ago and have had the itching off and on since then. Occasionally I would get lucky and find a place to scratch that helped relieve it but for the most part I have just had to wait it out. Devil

• moderators
    edited April 2017
    Options

s57sunny, have you discussed this with your treatment team? part of the healing process (albeit, long)?

• fishywishy
    fishywishy Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2018
    Options

Well I had a double mastectomy this February so six months ago without reconstruction. I have had about two transient bouts of itching but two weeks ago I felt a large lump beneath where the cancer had been and it turned out to be a seroma, a sac of blood serum and blood probably caused by a damaged blood vessel. So they drew out 140 cc of fluid on Thursday. On Saturday I swam my 80 laps, it didn't occur to me to wait a bit. By Sunday I was going insane, terrible itching way below the surace with nothing apparent on the skin. It is marginally better today but a great effort of will not to claw it. Going to try a pressure band tonight. Please God it was the activity and that this will not be a feature of my life.

• PrettyInPink579
    PrettyInPink579 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018
    Options

AAAAH I found this forum by googling "post mastectomy eczema". I had my DMX with expanders placed 10 days ago, and yesterday my left side got all red and hivey-looking, and started itching like fire. I was terrified it was cellulitis. Got in to see my PS and he declared it contact dermatitis. I have a history of eczema so wasn't terribly surprised. Benadryl helps some, both PO and topical. Now the right is a little bit involved too. Bawling It SUCKS! I'm still a little worried that my incision is getting infected. The left is a little oozy. All in all, I just want to hang out at home topless and let it all air out, but I have two little kids that I don't want to traumatize.

• moderators
    edited September 2018
    Options

Dera PrettyinPink579.

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for your diagnosis and your subsequent dermatitis but we are glad that you found us. With the exception of the post prior to yours this topic, although it matches your concern, has not seen recent activity. Feel free to start a new topic in this forum if you do not receive any responses. Sometimes new topics alert members and your post may be more readily seen. As moderators we are here to help you to get connected and to navigate your way around. Let us know how we can be of help. The Mods

• peacelovedogs
    peacelovedogs Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2019
    Options

OMG!!! I am many years out now and today - ALL DAY - I have been itching like CRAZY. My breasts are still numb (reconstruction was in 2012 I think) and today I feel like there is an insect biting me. HOW CAN I MAKE IT STOP?? Nothing is helping. :( This isn't fun at all.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited July 2019
    Options

I use Aspercream with lidocaine for the itchy. It numbs it. Benadryl or like products don’t work for me.

• oreo1231
    oreo1231 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2020
    Options

I am almost 5 years out after my exchange and the itching under my implants, sternum and somtimes on the side of my rib cage is still there but only at night time. My oncologist said it was the nerves trying to regenerate and the only thing that relieves it is gabapentin. I try so hard not to take it but the itching drives my insane. I wish i can find some answers because I've tried everything .

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,085
    edited September 2020
    Options

oreo - weird question, but why in the world would your MO think nerves are spontaneously trying to regenerate after 5 yrs? My neurologist said if there's regeneration, it happens in the first 2 years.

Also - I thought gabapentin was for pain? I'll have to ask my doc about that.

My dermatologist prescribed Des Owen Lotion, which didn't help much and Fluocinonide cream, which sometimes helps. She also suggested trying Sarna - an OTC lotion which I haven't tried yet.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited September 2020
    Options

MinusTwo, my PS (I think it was my PS, not my BS) prescribed Gabapentin for itching.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited September 2020
    Options

Gabapentin helps nerves - typically for pain though it makes sense for itching too if it's nerve-related. Typically nerves regenerate the most during the first year though it can occur up to 2 years... 5 years does sound like an awfully long time.... Edited to add 5 years is a long time for nerve regeneration to occur... nerve related itching can occur with various types of medical issues lasting for indefinite periods of time.... I would just be surprised if it's regeneration at 5 years - we're all different though....

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited September 2020
    Options

My favorite for itching is aspercream with lidocaine. Stops it for hours. Even on insect bites. Sounds crazy I know. Had a squamous lump taken off my LE hand last month. Lots of zingers and itching. Aspercream helps.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited September 2020
    Options

I have erythromelalgia. I've used Aspercreme and Lidocaine in the past for the itching and burning that accompanies that. Nowadays I use Voltaren gel. I've read on a breastcancer.org thread and also on an eczema forum I belong too others have found success with Vagisil for itching in various body parts. Apparently has 20% benzocaine (if I have that part right?) which other products don't. Who knew? I found that interesting and helpful.... I'll keep these things in mind. My BMX itching is much improved though I had more of that insatiable itch and the itch that feels an inch down below with all the numbness overlying it the first couple of weeks.... I'm only 3 weeks out now and still have itching though not at that deep level and milder at the superficial level thankfully! Hope it stays that way....