Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited June 2009

I went in and they rescheduled my appt for next week. I was not happy,

I keep saying I am going to change, I was going to see today, Now I have

another week. I wish you all well, Take care, Debbie

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited June 2009

Sweet Dreams to all my "older" friends.   Thanks for saying I am not selfish.  

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited June 2009

This is where we were last night and today..

It is Waterton Canadian National Park..heading back to the States this afternoon

• fransavin
    fransavin Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2009
    I am just catching up with the posts- been busy working and going to doctors- it seems because I have crohns and Lupus- and diagnose with Breast cancer last year-the dr's are much more concern then before of me developing cancer in other areas- Having Crohns for almost 29 years-my odds of having stomach/colon cancer jumped up to over 60%, having acid reflux and gerds for almost 15 years- esophagus cancer is more likely, now my uroloigst is checking for bladder cancer since there is a history of family bladder cancer and blood in the urine- because of lupus- I generally have blood in my urine but the count went up this year so he a little more concerned- but otherwise I am doing fine- family time this weekend- having my family over for dinner- 23 people tomorrow nite- hope everyone is doing okay too!!!Smile
  • lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2009
    SoCalLisa  - all I can say is *** sigh*****  - keep those photos coming! They lift the spirits!
  • amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited June 2009

Hi Ladies,

I started school last night so my posts will be less frequent.  Barely have time to breathe as I am taking two courses this session.  The faster this is over with the better I like it.  

Lisa, as always beautiful pictures, they really do my heart wonders.  Thanks.

Nancy, YOU are NOT selfish.  You are just putting yourself first which is something we should all do for ourselves all the time.  I was told I have nothing to give anyone else if I am not happy with myself.  

Debbie, just keep trying.  You can't give up on trying to do what is best for you.  You just have to deal with what is best for you.  When you get a new doctor and he is treating you correctly you may just want to kick yourself for not making the move sooner --- so don't give up.  One foot in front of another.

Allison, I was off my computer for 5 days when I moved.  It was a blessing.  One thing I didn't have to worry about.  The worst part was sleeping on odd things, couches, chairs, until beds were up and fending for food cause dishes were all packed.  But then again, it was fun and interesting putting things where I wanted to and decorating again.  My biggest problem was that new houses always cost money so we have an "we need" list that we are going to dwindle down as we go along.  It will be fun to buy some new things.  My next purchase is going to be a mat for under my chair in my office.  I have my new desk but the office has a rug in it so it is hard to roll on over to it.  

Zometa is treating me quite well this month.  I can't remember (CRS) did I tell you all my CA numbers were 12.  Yippee.  He was happy.  Welllll ---- lol, ---- so was I.  ;-)

OK, I have studying  to do and I am having problems getting into one of my seminars so I have to call a Tech at Kaplan to work on it.  Busy, busy, busy, lots better then sitting around worrying I'll tell ya that much.

Have a great one Ladies.

Hugs, Pam

• Cheyanne
    Cheyanne Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2009

I'm working on my doll house hobby this evening.  I buy fixer-upper doll houses on ebay, clean them, redecorate and furnish them with furniture that also comes from, of course, ebay.  I am putting the finishing touches on a house and I'm going to take photos of it to share with my doll house Internet group.  Then I have to get out the next house and start on it!  I have fifteen on display here at the house.  I have given away some to friends and family.  I need to have my son build me some more shelving.

Tomorrow I'm in a performance with my seniors drama group.  We are putting on a variety show at one of the assisted living places in town here.  We have four more shows to do this summer. 

So nobody has to ask me what I do to keep busy.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2009

Fransavin - will send up many prayers for your comfort and strength as you walk this difficult journey.  Blessings.

I've been very tired mid-afternoon the last 2 days.  Have only been lurking these boards; not posting too much. 

Turning in early tonight - cheers everyone!

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2009

Good Evening Chooks!

First, thanks to all of you for the encouragement while I was in the "pits."  I'm back up, now and ready to go for Taxol #6 tomorrow.  (And Nancy, I'm going to drink lots of water immediately before they access the port.)  With all of the bad economic news, stressed out people everywhere, dissension, and people struggling in so many areas of their lives (and we do know about that...), to be able to come here and let it all out is truly a blessing.  Thank you so much for being there for me.  (And thank you for making nice comments about my grands--I love being around them and wish we lived closer).

Lisa, Your pictures look like post cards--don't think I have ever seen blues like that.  Rita, Glad you are back, please post pics! 

Chooks, I'm done in tonight.  Heading for bed as this will be the last rest until I start to crash from tomorrow's steroids about Sunday evening.  Maybe I'll get some windows washed Saturday!

Take care, all--Helen 

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010
  • Momushka
    Momushka Member Posts: 16
    edited June 2009

I wasn't here for a few days - too busy or not feeling the need, I guess.  There are so many posts that I would like to respond to personally, that it's just too much - you are each just SO special.  What an amazing amazing group of women.  Pam, I'm in awe of you that you can write that you're not getting out of this alive, but are happy that your plants are growing!!!  You take my breath away!  Not looking forward to this journey, but am SO happy I've found you guys to help me through.  I only hope that one day I'll be able to help someone as you guys have helped me (and I'm still pre-op!).  Think I'll go have a little cry now - the good kind. 

• GramE
    edited June 2009

Hugs, Momushka.  Think of those tears as washing the windows to that inner place, where your TRUE feelings are, where the REAL you is.  Let it out, let it shine.   You, we, I am allowed to be sad and happy.  We might not know how good the good is unless we had some bad mixed in there.  However, I wish you ALL lots of good and the bad as a distant memory.   I like to think of these things as detours, pot holes, on the road of life.   And I do try, and succeed most days, to think of the cup as half FULL, and not half empty.    HUGS,   Nancy

• patoo
    edited June 2009

LeftyAKANancy - you made me tear up; your words to Momuska are just beautiful.  So uplifting.

Momuska - {{{ HUGS }}} - sorry to meet you in this forum but glad you found it.  It will make the journey more bearable.

JO - you sound as though you are apologizing for making a decision that is right for you.  No need.  We will all have to make that decision sooner or later and I THANK YOU for sharing your experience. 

Maire67 - I think we have to make allowances for those who have not had to take this journey.  Remember how clueless we were initially.

Gramof3 - This is "pits" central; what better place to hangout!

Okay, guess better do some work.  Later my friends.

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2009

OH Patoo, so glad I found you, I missed you in the other thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehehehe

• patoo
    edited June 2009

Hey Deb, I'm lurking all over these boards.  Think if I don't stay one place too long then that bc bullet won't be able to find me (see the hilarious thread about what caused our cancer!)  LOL

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited June 2009

Hey Jo! Nothing new to report, have done 4 of my 30 rads now..and just chasing Patoo all over so she knows she is loved too.........LOL.............She's a hard one to keep up with!

Hugs!

• Deb-from-Ohio
    edited June 2009

Patoo you can run but ya can't hide, well from me anyway! LOL.u want to see funny, check out the Trhead about Houseworking...........those women are nuts!

• patoo
    edited June 2009

Hmmmmmmmmm, don't know - I'm kinda allergic to housework. 

Okay, I'll take a look - maybe the arimidex will protect me from breaking out in hives.  (wonder if there's a clinical trial for that!)

• patoo
    edited June 2009

JO - 5 years on arimidex - ever break out in hives?  No.  See it does offer protection.  Off to the housework thread.

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited June 2009

To all the wonderful people here, Please take care and be good to yourself. Pam, I will do my

best when I see the Dr, I need to be good to myself, Not worry about a Dr that can cancel alot.

We are all winners on this line, God bless you, Debbie

• fleecewood
    fleecewood Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2009

Hello Ladies

I have not posted for quite awhile, and when I did it was rather minimal- but always enjoyed your wisdom.  I finished my 6 weeks of rads on May 15th and am now just on Femara-(for the next 5 yrs) but doing great! Barely even sun burned anymore..

I have a question for all- and would like your input.  My last 2 weeks of treatment I had the fortune of staying at a Hope Lodge- which they have all over the US, sponsored by the American Cancer Society, free for those doing chemo/and or rads, for any kind of cancer.  Anyway- I would like to start something special for those who stay there.   If you were to receive a beautiful lacy shawl, hand knit in Merino wool, while you were going thru treatment- would that bless you?  Or make you feel like someone cared, and maybe feel more feminine?  I thought it could be raffled off one per week, if I could generate interest.   Or maybe some other item?  I am just trying to formulate an idea, because I really want to give back to those who are also on this crazy journey.  We raise Merino sheep and I thought maybe I could get some knitting groups fired up, cause I certainly can't do it all on my own.  Any ideas you could throw my way would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.Susan

• GramE
    edited June 2009

Susan,  check out the "blessing scarf" thread.   I will "bump" it up so it at the top of Active Topics.   I do  not know how to knit, but a shawl sounds like a lovely idea.  I have several I take/wear often and one that is hand made would, could show the bond, the love and support we all need.

• ddlatt
    ddlatt Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2009

i'm not sure if this has been addressed before, but i received this from dana-farber cancer institute's newsletter. this is the gist:

"Standard chemotherapy is more effective than an oral drug, capecitabine, following surgery in older women with early breast cancer, according to a study co-led by Dana-Farber researchers."

the link to the article:

http://www.dana-farber.org/abo/news/press/2009/standard-chemo-proves-best-for-older-women-with-early-breast-cancer.html 

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited June 2009

We are still on the road,but back in internet territory..

Long time out of it , no TV either..

Here is a view from last night..

right out of our window..

then this the night before that..

• fleecewood
    fleecewood Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2009

SoCallLisa

Your photos are absolutely breathtaking! What a gorgeous place!  Are you a professional photographer?  Looks like it.

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2009
    SHE'S BAAACK!!! We are really and truly almost finished with the d#@** move. I can't even count the number of trips to the  local dump that cleaning out the basement and attic have involved. I haven't been able to find our Xmas stockings for 2 years and now I have them! Thanks to Arimidex I've gained 30 lbs. since January and I even found some of my "fat" clothes which I thought I'd already gotten rid of - that's a good thing. This house has a huge attic and so far nothing has gone up there. It's really quite liberating. I'm going back over there tomorrow to finish the kitchen and then on Monday with  my cleaning lady for a few hours and it will all be over. Cleaning out has complete erased any emotional feelings I have about the old place and that's good news! Like Pam, I enjoy the decorating, hanging pics, etc. part so that will be fun. I'm too tired to read the paper every night and we still have no tv, even after 3 visits from the cable company, so if anything terribly important is happening in the world, please let me know. More to come and my too funny moving day story. See ya in a couple of days!
  • illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,263
    edited June 2009

Hi everyone and glad to see you made it Allison.  I am now deeply envious of you as I am still working on my liberation.  I stopped ( for the umpteenth time it seems ) my packing up to get outside and try and get our siding washed down.  It's so dirty and I found ( only on north side ) some areas where mold was beginning---again which is what prompted me.  Dh is always going to GET to this, but never seems to make it.  Unlike your trips to the dump or even Goodwill.....that will come later for me, most of my things are being packed in boxes to go down to the local auction house.  Even though they take a percentage.....they get so much more than you would in a yard sale --- and they get rid of it all -- no unwanted leftovers....someone always wants the stuff for something.  I think some people low-bid and put it in their yard sales later.  Ok by me as long as I am able to get it out of here.  I will be so pleased. 

I don't know what psychological thing seems to take so many of us over and we become our own warehouse keeping things that become easier and easier to forget the longer they are in the **storage** area.....and all the while adding to our **stuff** by the new and improved thingamadoodle that just came out...so something else still quite usable goes into one of the storage boxes.  I need to do a major excision and will --  just hope that after the siding I don't get too many other major chores to handle that take lots of time and energy. 

Hi to all of you and hope you are going to be having a wonderful Sunday doing what you love.

Hugs,

Jackie

• GramE
    edited June 2009

I lived in the same house for 36 years.  Moved exactly on the date we had moved in, but that was not planned -   it was the day the van could get here.   There is not one single thing I threw out, gave away, or sold that I miss -- OR have needed since I moved to an apartment.   Since I live alone, I think that made it much easier than trying to do it with other family members wanting, needing certain items.   There are still boxes I need to weed thru, but they are sitting there, not in my way and one of these days i will get to them.   I think my bundt pan is in one of them, but when I could not find it, I made a sheet cake instead...   (cinnamon struesel cake).

Today is Flag Day, so display your flag if you have one.  Hugs,   Nancy 

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited June 2009

Susan,

What a wonderful idea about the shawl!  I know there is a group of gals on bc.org that crochet squares and then somebody attaches them together into afghans and sends them to gals who need some special love and comfort during their journeys.  One of the gals, LauraGTO, on the Illinois thread is involved in this.  She would be glad to share pictures and ideas with you.  I also feel that it's very important to give back, but I am not gifted in the "artsy" or "needlework" way so I try to give back by doing the walks, volunteering for the American Cancer Society, etc.  Maybe one of these days I'll find another niche for me and a new way to help.  I salute you for trying to come up with a way that works for you! 

I need to get moving.  I'm helping out with the St. Jude golf outing today.  One of my friends, and another bc survivor, is one of the main chairs for this event and needed a few more hands to make it go smoothly so I need to get moving!

Hugs to all of you!

Travel safely Lisa.  Jo, I'm very interested in how you do as you come off the Arimidex!

Rita

• Blundin2005
    Blundin2005 Member Posts: 27
    edited June 2009

SoCalLisa--What a fantastic trip!  Sometimes there aren't enough superlatives to cover the descriptions of our country.  I can almost smell the clean air in these pics.  Thanks so much to share them.

Marilyn