Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MRI false negatives?

Options
worried4sis
worried4sis Member Posts: 1

My sister over two weeks had a mammogram, then an ultrasound and yesterday a contrast dye MRI due to two solid masses - one large, the other smaller - the radiologist said he doesn't see anything that makes him think she has cancer.  Does anyone have information on the conclusiveness of MRI's?  I thought I had heard about MRI's having false negatives, but being overwhelmed trying to find information maybe it is false positives.  Can we relax now with these results?  Thanks!

Comments

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    edited February 2009
    Options

Well, it does sound like cysts, but what I don't understand is why she isn't being referred to a breast surgeon.  They should be seen by one and she should bring all the mammo screens, USs, MRI reports and/or screens forwarded to surgeon and let him make a final diagnosis.  This could be a "yes, they are nothing" or a "yeah, we should biopsy them and see for sure".  No way to tell without that.

I would not leave it at that...If a radiologist says it most likely is not cancer, then she can most likely rest easier, but I certainly would get a referral to a good breast surgeon for definitive answer.

Good luck to both of you!!

• staceyr
    staceyr Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2009
    Options
    It's my understanding that MRIs are so sensitive they tend to actually produce a lot of false positives.  It sounds like she's probably in the clear.
  • faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424
    edited February 2009
    Options

I don't know about 'relaxing'

but my MRI produced a false positive as determined by the subsequent MRI guided biopsy......

so they certainly do happen.

• maryannecb
    maryannecb Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2009
    Options

Sorry to say I am one of those....despite large lump...alll of the tests said i had fibrocystic disease. biopsy 2 weeks later as grew again proved 9cm IDC.

Best to have lumps biopsied.

The radiologist was horrified...but not as much as i was.

But here i am 3 years later...still...OK and back at life.

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2009
    Options

My breast surgeon ordered an MRI before surgery - from mammo, ultrasound and biopsy, we already knew I had an approx. 2 cm IDC. She was puzzled by the results of the MRI - she said that it showed nothing indicating cancer in the breast. Two lumpectomies and a mastectomy later, we knew that I had a 2.2 IDC, a smaller IDC and two ducts of DCIS. NONE of it showed up on the MRI. I think false negatives are rare, but they obviously do happen.

• comingtoterms
    comingtoterms Member Posts: 52
    edited February 2009
    Options
    To my knowledge, each of these tests: MRI, Ultrasound, Mammography -  have their own special capabilities, but nothing can tell you whether you actually have cancer other than a biopsy.  Been there, done that - the radiologist doing my core biopsy actually told me not to worry, "it doesn't look like cancer."  Three days later he called, incredibly uncomfortable and embarassed to tell me that he was wrong - I have IDC.  The pathologist tells you whether you have cancer.  I just had an MRI that showed another very small spot in a different quadrant of my breast - they are now sending me for an MRI guided biopsy.  It could well be "cyclic" - I am 48, still menstruating, and the MRI was done just before my period, but I am happy that they are being so diligent.
  • taraleec
    taraleec Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2009
    Options

I had a big(I think) lump in my Lt for over 2 years since I had my son(who's 3, my mistake, I let it go, but I had precancerous cells in my uterus which I had surgeries for also) anyway, my mammo & breast ultra said I had cysts.  After lumpectomy, turned out 5+ cm, LCIS, complex sclerosing lesion(radial scar), intraductal hyperplasia & sclerosing adenosis, which I had radiation for. Just proves, mammos and ultras aren't exact/precise/correct.  Then I had a lump in my Rt which I felt, but surgeon couldn't feel 'til 3 mos later, mammo and ultra said clear, lumpectomy was done, but was adenosis.  Soon after I felt lump around 6 o'clock area in Rt, but surgeon said 'probably just scar tissue'.  I TRIED to forget about it, it's grown & 2 mos later in 2 more separate areas there are more lumps, which my GYN & ONC can feel but my current surgeon '"can't feel, nothing 'jumps' out at him to be concerned with". Again mammo & ultra are clear.  MRI says 'multiple foci present,but doesn't look cancerous, needs to be redone at different time of menstrual cycle'.  The one at 6 o'clock is much larger since October, and there's 1 at 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock.  I personally don't believe in these tests. I've never had fibro or cystic breasts.  I can feel these lumps/spots and I am paranoid that my LCIS is spreading, possible progressed or is something more serious.  My ONC says if next MRI doesn't define/determine these lumps, I should have a MASTECTOMY. I'm seriously considering it, I'm also going to see another surgeon who specializes in breasts and it's a woman, I don't think some male Drs are too great with breast issues. Just look out for yourself.  If you feel something you're concerned with, keep at it, try more Dr's or surgeons.  Good luck to you.  

• comingtoterms
    edited February 2009
    Options

It is becoming more and more obvious as I read all these postings that much is found during surgery that was not picked up during testing.  It just goes to show that technology can go just so far - we still need human beings at the helm of the ship, using their hands and eyes to find and see what is really there- it is easy to become paranoid when technology has previously "let you down." - I would insist on a biopsy, taraleec.

• KathyAlex1960
    KathyAlex1960 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2009
    Options

My MRI was negative.  A false negative.  I had the biopsy 2 days later.  Invasive lobular cancer, Stage II.  Hmm Hmmm  Only the pathologist can give a true result after looking at the cells.  I was so happy when the MRI was negative..............

• ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited February 2009
    Options

If your MRI was negative, what did you biopsy?

I recently had an MRI. The radiologist said that the tiny spot (less than 5mm) deep inside the breast appears to be a vascular thingy (okay..she didn't say "thingy"). I was just at the onc today who read the report (she's the second onc to read it) and she said it's all clear and not to worry about it. More than that, it was recommended to have another MRI in a year and the onc said "we will talk about it at your next appt". She said I should have a mammo, this same radiologist (best in our country I was told) will read the mammo and decide from that. I have dense breasts and for two years now the radiologist who was reading my mammos says she just sees all white.

I don't know who to believe!

• comingtoterms
    edited February 2009
    Options

Wow- two scary postings - so similar to my situation - premenopausal women's breasts are just way too difficult to read - we typically have dense tissue - so if you are told that the cancer you have has probably been there for eight years, then why would it take eight years, eight mammograms and finally a biopsy to detect it?   I think that dense breasts should be included as a risk factor for breast cancer - how many of us have been told that they "just couldn't see it until it was too late?"

• Misawa47
    Misawa47 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi ravdeb, I had an MRI where they found a 6mm mass. The doctor recommended an ultrasound and a biopsy "just to make sure". I have to travel for procedures; however, my local hospital here can perform the ultrasound. My long-distance doctor said that if the ultrasound did not reveal the mass as something other than a cyst, he would like to perform another MRI in 6 months to see if there are any changes. I would at the very least request an MRI in 6 months to watch this "thingy" "just in case" .

• comingtoterms
    edited February 2009
    Options

We need to be very proactive about taking care of our bodies - If there is a mass, the only way to diagnose it is through a biopsy - plain and simple - I would so very much encourage you to insist on a biopsy if the ultrasound determines it is a solid mass - MRIs do show false positives, it's true, but otherwise you will spend six months worrying about something that could be cleared up right now.

• KELLYJ1971
    KELLYJ1971 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

In need of some help and advise , I had a yearly routine mamo done about a month ago which read as follows

" exam shows fibroglandular densities in both breast, there are some bengn-appearing calcifications inner lower right breast due to a previous reduction performed in 2005 as per patient ,,, then goes on to say "a nodular asymmetric density in the UPPER OUTER ASPECT of  right breast new since prior sudy in 6/2011 "

I was sent for a Compression mamo the following week which read as follows

" there is a 1.3 right UPPER OUTER breast focal asymmetric density with irregular margins confirmed on the CC focal compression view but is not confirmed on the additional views as to a true mass in more than one projection although this may be a focal asymmetry in one view only it rasies the possibilty of an occult mass obscured by the scattered fibroglandular parenchymal densities therefore a biospy is strongly recommended along with referral to breast surgeon"

I then was sent for a MRI which reads  "

Examination shows some patchy breast tissue in the deep 12 oclock postion of the left breast and the LOWER OUTER right breast ,,fat necrosis OUTER LOWER ASPECT RIGHT breast with patchy parenchymal tissue, benigin and yearly follow up suggested"

Here is my concern the compression mamo states the 1.3 cm focal asymmetric density was found in the UPPER OUTER right breast ,, there is nothing in the MRI report that addresses this area only the LOWER OUTER right which we already know is calcifications from the routine mamo this is from my breast reduction i had back in 2005, should i be happy the results from the MRI didnt mention this area the mamo found? Did they just not see it because of where its located (i cant even feel a lump), also i was referred to a breast surgeon that i wont see for two more weeks, I did a little research on the internet and some of the things i found that seem to go along with my findings from the CC are NOT good also just some things i have been experiencing like recent (last 8 months or so)tingling of the nipple in my right breast which i thought was from the reduction ,, Im scared to death because I have heard so many stories of women that their doctors have told ohhh its no big deal we'll watch it ,,then 2-3 years later they find out they have stage 3 4 or 5 , I have been having mamos every year since the age of 33 (im now 41)without ANY question even after my reduction not even a "blip" It was reccomened by my GP due to not knowing my history because of being adopted ,, where do i go from here and should i been worried ????

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2013
    Options

My research on breast MRI's has lead me to understand they are very well know for  false positives, not false negatives.

• marie5890
    edited January 2013
    Options

(my apologizes...I didnt realize this was a very old thread dating back to '09)

• BrandieMcAdams
    BrandieMcAdams Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2013
    Options

It is old Marie, but I'm glad you commented as I had a similar question about false negatives on MRIs as well. I have a palpable lump that ultraound dx as "A complex Cyst" (and later my BS raised the question of tumor) but yet my MRI just says I have dense breast tissue...no lump or abnormalities.

very odd to me.

ps, I'm 26 with dense tissue so I wonder if that affected it

• marie5890
    edited January 2013
    Options

MRI's are best done for young women like you with dense breast tissue, or any woman with dense breast tissue. 

Each of the imagining (mammo, U/S, MRI) give a different view of things. Im not sure a cyst would be pick up on and MRI.

From what I have read about MRI's (I had one myself) I would be relieved upon hearing that your MRI picked up nothing. 

MRI's are extremely sensitive, that is why they are notorious for false positives and why insurance companies baulk at their use prior to a diagnosis. But they are very helpful for women like you with dense tissue...

• BrandieMcAdams
    BrandieMcAdams Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2013
    Options

The BS I am seeing decided to do an excisional biopsy. Should know more after surgery 

on Friday.

• marie5890
    edited January 2013
    Options

Good luck with the surgery!! The waiting period so sucks....