Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Drinking cold things feels weird after mastectomy

Options
124»

Comments

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    edited October 2019
    Options

It is an odd sensation. A SE of the surgery. It does go away completely. I can no longer recall exactly, but I think it took a number of months. With time, all the odd zingers, phantom itches and weird sensations do go away.

• angelamia
    angelamia Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2019
    Options

What a relief to read that other people experience this, too. I had a double mastectomy on 10/07/19 and have been having the same sensations. So bizarre! Feels like my insides are on the outside. Glad to know I am not alone.

• Denise420
    Denise420 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2020
    Options

bilateral mastectomies March 31,2020. I have been having this cold feeling in my chest when I drink cold fluids too. So relieved to see I am not alone. Thank you

• mountainlover
    mountainlover Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2020
    Options

Thank you for this thread! I found it before my surgery and it helped me so much to know, when I first experienced this weird feeling, that it was completely normal. I mentioned it to one of the PS and he had never heard of it. I wish I had been prepared for all of the other weird sensations which keep cropping up! Anyway, it's good to know that they should get better.

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited September 2020
    Options

I have this too and my surgery was Aug. 31. It's like an ice cube is slowly moving through my esophagus and then sits for a few seconds half way down.... So glad you posted this question!!!

• mollymae065
    mollymae065 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi,

I recently had my Mastectomy on 3/21/24 and had my 2nd drainage tube removed today. I am experiencing the cold feeling when I drink. I was afraid to mention it, so I spoke to my daughter about it today and here iam. She found this thread and im so glad I'm not the only one. I thought if I mention it, others will think I lost it. Thanx for sharing.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Welcome, @mollymae065! We're so sorry you find yourself here, but we're so glad you've joined us so you know that you're not alone, even when it comes to not-so-common side effects after surgery. We hope your recovery is going well!

Also, we want to let you know we offer very supportive, moderated Virtual Community Meetups. There are a number of different groups and times, so if you're interested, please check them out here: Virtual Community Meetups.

We’re here for you,

The Mods