Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone on AIs when recurrance happened?

Options

Comments

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited August 2017
    Options

I just got diagnosed with diverticulosis. Back in the spring I got a UTI. For about 2 mo prior I had on and off, mostly on. lower abdominal pain (left, left center, right). I was given Bactrim abx and as soon as I popped that for the UTI, that discomfort was gone. So I think at that point it was mild diverticulitis and now it's in remission so it's called diverticulosis. No cure, just given a pamphlet on high fiber foods.

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited August 2017
    Options

Mine was diagnosed as mild also but I seem to have gotton the overkill treatment; CT, Metronidazole, Levofloxacin. Horrible side effects (including "black tongue", a bizarre but harmless side effect.) I will try tostay away from emergency rooms at all costs from now on.

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hello Everyone, thank you for your inputs. As I mentioned earlier, I started having discomfort started under the area of the right breast, kinda right center, run down to lower abdomen. This started since past Friday. It's kinda hard to tell in the beginning, and I stopped drinking my usual tea and stop taking vitamins & supplements. The discomfort gets subsided over time. Now it's Tuesday and I kinda narrowed the soreness at the right side of my stomach, near the navel, at the waistline. Still haven't been able to see the doctor yet. Anyone has any ideas, experience?

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited August 2017
    Options

14 causes of pain near the belly button

https://helpyourback.org/health/pain-around-your-b...

I think your abdominal aorta goes that way too...

http://medicine.yale.edu/aorta/disease/index.aspx

When do you see the doctor? Basically it could be anything so be watchful.

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited August 2017
    Options

If you are 50 or over or high risk for colon cancer and you haven't had a colonoscopy, I'd do it. Almost 53 and had discomfort all over my lower abdomen on and off and was diagnosed with diverticulosis as well as having a precancer polyp gastro took out.

• Houston2016
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi Everyone, due to the hurricane, places closed, my Dr. Apt got cancelled twice. My stomach feels little bloated too, that's what's I forgot to mention. Although it has discomfort, I was able to daily activities. Does AI causes Ovarian cancer? Thanks.

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi Houston,

Hope you are safe at least. Sorry see on the news all the devesation there. There is a link on the main page with side effects with a cool side-by-side chart you can look up here: http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/com...

• marijen
    edited August 2017
    Options

I would go by the sides at drugs.com or the FDA and still there are studies that show other problems, not shown on that link. If you get a side, then look it up. Public med does not require sign in to check studies

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thanks Marijen, I'm lucky my house is in the area that's high and dry, just lots of rain. I get to be off work for a week, thru Labor Day, but throughout all of this I have to deal with the discomfort in my abdomen, center to right side. I initially had an apt on 08/29 then it got cancelled, finally saw a Dr. Yesterday for liver function test, but ultrasound will be next Tuesday. This Dr is an internist and pressed exam on my abdomen said he doesn't feel anything. Today, I went online to check on my AST and ALT levels they were 17 and 19 in 11/16, prior to taking Anastrozole. In Jan.25, 2017; it went up to 39 and 52; yet the OC comments Good and did not want to order any blood test in f/u in April and July. That is Red Flag right there. Now I'm having symptoms that can be related to liver and I'm sure the AI cause my liver enzymes to be elevated. Just did another blood test yesterday, have to wait. Does anyone have liver problems with Anastrozole and had to stop taking it? What can you take to help your liver while taking Anastrozole? Thank you.

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Thanks Marijen, I'm lucky my house is in the area that's high and dry, just lots of rain. I get to be off work for a week, thru Labor Day, but throughout all of this I have to deal with the discomfort in my abdomen, center to right side. I initially had an apt on 08/29 then it got cancelled, finally saw a Dr. Yesterday for liver function test, but ultrasound will be next Tuesday. This Dr is an internist and pressed exam on my abdomen said he doesn't feel anything. Today, I went online to check on my AST and ALT levels they were 17 and 19 in 11/16, prior to taking Anastrozole. In Jan.25, 2017; it went up to 39 and 52; yet the OC comments Good and did not want to order any blood test in f/u in April and July. That is Red Flag right there. Now I'm having symptoms that can be related to liver and I'm sure the AI cause my liver enzymes to be elevated. Just did another blood test yesterday, have to wait. Does anyone have liver problems with Anastrozole and had to stop taking it? What can you take to help your liver while taking Anastrozole? Thank you.

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

Here's just a few of the side effects at drugs.com under "professional" and yes they do include the liver. You could stop the pills for a few days, it won't hurt.

Print it all and bring it to your doc. I read today when the liver is overwhelmed it can't process the estrogen well anyways, more ends up in the blood. I am reading "What the Doctors Won't Tell you about Breast Cancer". Not that your doctor is one of them, but maybe. Chapter five and six are all about estrogen. At Amazon.

From Drugs.com. You can click the 6.2 link, get more. But don't worry, it's just three days. You can always go to ER if it gets worse? Maybe not if you're in Houston. A disclaimer, I'm no expert, I just look things up and try to learn

Adverse Reactions

Serious adverse reactions with Anastrozole tablets occurring in less than 1 in 10,000 patients, are: 1) skin reactions such as lesions, ulcers, or blisters; 2) allergic reactions with swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and/or throat. This may cause difficulty in swallowing and/or breathing; and 3) changes in blood tests of the liver function, including inflammation of the liver with symptoms that may include a general feeling of not being well, with or without jaundice, liver pain or liver swelling [see ADVERSE REACTIONS (6.2)].

Common adverse reactions (occurring with an incidence of ≥ 10%) in women taking Anastrozole tablets included: hot flashes, asthenia, arthritis, pain, arthralgia, hypertension, depression, nausea and vomiting, rash, osteoporosis, fractures, back pain, insomnia, headache, bone pain, peripheral edema, increased cough, dyspnea, pharyngitis and lymphedema.

In the ATAC trial, the most common reported adverse reaction (>0.1%) leading to discontinuation of therapy for both treatment groups was hot flashes, although there were fewer patients who discontinued therapy as a result of hot flashes in the Anastrozole tablets group.

Because clinical trials are conducted under widely varying conditions, adverse reaction rates observed in the clinical trials of a drug cannot be directly compared to rates in the clinical trials of another drug and may not reflect the rates observed in practice.

PS It's amazing to see what's going on in Houston, great people

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

Anastrozole-related acute hepatitis with autoimmune features: a case report
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC30762...

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hello everyone, I went to do ultrasound today but the LFT came back normal. But as days progressed, I started to feel aches here and there, and sudden weakness on the lower part of my leg to my ankle while standing. I haven't feel that before until this last 2 weeks. Does anyone feel weakness on their lower extremity or hip pain as a result of taking Anastrozole? Thanks.

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

So Houston, did you get the ultrasound report yet? Did the doctor talk to you or do you have an appt. Not sure what LFT is? Liver enzymes? Was it a liver ultrasound or an abdominal US? Did it include your gallbladder. Did you tell the doctor about your ankle and the weakness? I think you need to get more information to figure out what's going on and you need to talk to the doctor.

My ankles hurt like they are about to break, I think it might be bone loss from the letrozole I was on. And it also aggravated supposed arthritis in my hip, which is a little better now since I've been off it.

Good news if your liver if it is normal but what about the higher enzymes? It's not clear to me what you've posted last.

Do you go to the anastrozole topic

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi Marijen, I went to see an internist on Friday, 09/01; explained about the abs discomfort the previous week, so he examined me and said he didn't feel anything. Remember this whole "feeling" started 08/25. It's weird, as time goes on I feel something different. Dr.ordered liver function test and abs US. I went to US today so no results yet, the bloodwork on 09/01 shows ALT is 39 and AST is 31. The AST is lower than in January 2017 but in November 2016, the numbers were 17 and 19, pre-anastrozole. So I figured the current number is normal to the Dr.

The ankle and slight weakness I felt once or twice last week, didn't tell the internal Dr. Cause I thought it all has to do with Anastrozole. But this week I also felt something around my waist to the back and left hip. Then I read symptoms of bone Mets include weakness in the legs and arms. I freaked out. I always think of the discomfort result from AI. My OC today said she read the lab and tells me to f/u with PCP. I need to mention that for several weeks I've been cleaning the house like crazy, due to 2 cats and 8 kittens. Don't know if that has to do with anything. I just pray it not being another Mets.

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

Houston, can you get a copy of the US report today? When do you see your PCP? I don't think falling down is from the anastrozole, you should tell the PCP everything though. How long have you been on it? And of course the anastrozole can increase your enzymes. You'll have to wait for next labs to see if it goes up some more.

You may be having symptoms from two or more different causes. You might have pulled something cleaning. So no more pain in your abdomen? It's all still a mystery, please keep us updated, ok

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Marijen, I called about the ultrasound and the Internal Dr. called me back said I have fatty liver and a small growth in Gallbladder, he suggested that I repeat US in 12 months, just to monitor. Dr. Said nothing major. My CBC is very good, WBC and RBC went up. So I was pretty relieved about the liver thing. Must be exerted my muscles when I tried to squat and cleaned. Now I have to worry about the weakness on the legs. I have an apt with OC on 09/19, maybe a bone scan?

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

Houston, great you are making progress. You should do a search on fatty liver, it can be reversed with exercise and diet. I was thinking that the AIs can cause dizzyness, not exactly weakness but still might be a cause of unbalance in your legs. No mets in the liver and if you get a bone scan you can rule out no mets there. It's always easier to get a scan if you have a symptom. Good job

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Marijen, I have mild feeling of weakness on left ankle that comes once while I was standing doing things, but I can still walk. I talked to some on Bone Mets board and she said it sounds like Degenerative Disk and I actually feel like that. I always think of the worse scenario. I'll meet with my OC and let's see how things go. Thanks.

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Marijen, actually I have not so good news about my abs US. Dr. said my gallbladder has small growth, and it's nothing to worry about, just wait for 12 months to see if it gets larger. When I read the test result, it said polyps and I researched it and it says if the polyps is 1cm is bigger then it's definitely cancer. So they want me to wait it out to see if it's cancer? Meanwhile I'm starting to feel general malaise and body weakness since yesterday, more a continuation of previous symptoms. Wonder if I already have cancer?Has anyone have gallbladder removed due to cancer? What other treatment included?

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

You are right that is not good news. How big is your growth? I suggest tomorrow you send what you read to the doctor, or call. Do you have a link? It needs to be from a reliable source. I would tell him there is no way you will be comfortable waiting a year. Egad! I'll look it up and get back to you. Yes people have their gallbladders removed all the time, mostly too many stones. My mother died from gallbladder infection. Do not eat cabbage it stimulates the gallbladder. Especially soup. But don't worry, she was 93.

So you need to know how big the growth is and which doctor was it? MO? Internist? OR PCP

Here is a good link, sorry it's not pretty but it may be nothing so stay calm

https://www.cancer.gov/types/gallbladder/patient/g.../_50

I have 2 4mm nodules on my thyroid and have to wait 7 months to find out if they've grown. Also must be 1 cm. It's called standard of care (by the book). They won't even give me thyroid tests! Probably from radiation

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Marijen, The Internist I went to see about the abs discomfort, he ordered the Abs US. He followed up with me over phone and he said a "small growth" but it's not major yet. He didn't tell me the size, it's a quick phone call. So I looked up the test results today myself and it said polyps. Nothing else. I called the GI and got an apt for tomorrow afternoon. I will decide on surgery whether cancer or not. I can't take any chances.

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

I am glad to hear your are taking action Houston. I hope you have more news tomorrow. Can you get a copy of you US report by email or online? Let us know

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

Bosumblues, I understand what you mean. Just when you're recovering from one cancer, now another. I just don't understand how this happened. They said avoid greasy fried food which I have been doing, don't eat pork or beef. I haven't been exercise much lately, and I should stay away from carbs, but I love bread and rice.

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

Sometimes gallbladder disease runs in families. How is your cholesterol Houston? And if you have a better diet it doesn't necessarily reverse what has already started? Do you have gallstone? Cholesterol or calcified? My dh had his gallbladder removed and felt like a million bucks afterwards but that was for gallstones

• Houston2016
    edited September 2017
    Options

My dad had kidney stone that was removed back in 1975. Other than that no one has. I may have slightly high cholesterol which during a yearly physical, Dr. Did the test, since I had Dx with BC, no one runs the cholesterol test. This really frustrated me, do I have to act on or initiate everything for my health. No wonder people with recurrence because Dr. Don't let you know what to eat, do your blood work, nothing. I had to find out everything from the internet. Dr. Don't tell you anything unless you asked. I read that gallbladder polyps caused by cholesterol deposit. See, I didn't know that! No one runs test on me and advise me to take fish oil. My DH takes fish oil daily cause he had high triglycerides. My PCP never says anything. On another note, I read about Omega 3,for positive hormone breast cancer before, it says something about er+pr+ should avoid it. What are your views on Omega 3 fatty acids. I do eat fish like tuna, salmon but that's not enough.

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

I read the same thing, not to take fish oil so I have a full bottle of it here. I will have to look it up again. I know the feeling they don't tell me anything, they don't seem to know anything when it comes to radiation and AIs. Why aren't you taking AI? And they don't offer too many tests. You should have VitD test. They have given me folate and B12 and magnesium. I think the only reason my magnesium was ok is because I've been taking it a year or two now. I was told to take Ultra Tums for my bones two times a day. But no mention of K2 and magnesium which is necessary for bones to absorb calcium. So you have to ask for the tests and give them a reason. I don't get why they are willing to spend thousands on scans and will avoid all the little tests. You do get Metabolic and CBC I hope? When is your DR appt today?

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited September 2017
    Options

Marijen:

I take a Magnesium, Vit K and Calcium in one. I also take Omega 3 and Turmeric, prescribed by my alternative MO, who is also a BC survivor.

So those are both not great for ER+? So many conflicting bits of advice from doctors!

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited September 2017
    Options

Oh, I also take Vit D and have for years. After my mother's oncologist told her to. My levels are good.

• marijen
    edited September 2017
    Options

Yes EastcoastTS those things are good in general. I'm not an expert on supplements for BC. Sorry.