Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chest tightness - post Bilateral Mastectomy

Options
13»

Comments

• Lovegolf
    Lovegolf Member Posts: 75
    edited February 2011
    Options

For the nerve pain I had a pain doctor Rx a special cream/paste that numbed the nerves but was not a drug that made me sleepy. It goes right where it hurts.

• hipchik47
    hipchik47 Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi Golf long time no see.  What is the name of the cream so I can ask  my pain Dr about it.  Thanks, Hip

• Lovegolf
    edited February 2011
    Options

It is compound. I have it at home.  Will post the % on the jar later.  It is great.

• Lovegolf
    edited February 2011
    Options

It is 10% keta  4% gab 6% Lid.   IF you give that to doctor they should know. It has to be made at a compounding Rx

• sheri56
    sheri56 Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2011
    Options

I had a mastectomy (left breast) and axillary dissection Oct 2010 so I am now 4 months out. I still suffer from chest and under arm tightness. It's better in the morning but by bedtime it is so uncomfortable. I have been pushing myself to do stretches and massage everyday and I must say it seems to be helping...

My question for those of you experiencing chest tightness is..... what type of bra and prosthesis/form are you wearing? For me, I experience the most pain/discomfort when wearing a bra/prosthesis? It's hard to imagine being pain free but I pray that day comes.

Thanks for listening!

sheri

• hipchik47
    hipchik47 Member Posts: 113
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thanks for the info Golfy.  I will run it by my pain dr next month. Hugs Hip

• JanS
    JanS Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Options

I had a unilateral mastectomy (no reconstruction) in July, and I felt chest tightness within a couple weeks of surgery.  The RN in the BS office gave me stretching exercises, which I did every day.  It helped, but after 5 weeks, I felt like the scar tissue was adhering to something underneath.  A co-worker who previously had mastectomy recommended a massage therapist who works for PS practice.  It was a huge help, she broke down or softened the underlying scar tissue.  I went once a week for 6 wks, then reduced to every other week for 6 wks.  When I recently told the BS (at my 6-month post-op follow-up), he said the tight feeling was because my nerves were regenerating after having no sensation along the scar line - implying that the massage wasn't necessary.  But having walked in those shoes, I would definitely recommend massage.  It worked for me.

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98
    edited February 2011
    Options

I agree with Jan - a good massage therapist is a big help in breaking up the tissue adhesions.  A breast cancer patient should also be referred to physical therapy (you need more help than those at home exercises they start you out on), and once PT is finished, a exercise program that builds core strength and flexibility.

I've been there, done that, and had to buy new tee shirts. Wink

• anamerty
    anamerty Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2012
    Options

I see that these posts are quite old now, but I hope somebody still replys to them (or mine lol). I am 4 weeks out of bilat mastectomies,and still have that terrible tightening going on. On top of that it feels like sandpapper rubbing across my chest almost constantly. That is my big issue. I have bought a bra and use it when I go out cuz I guess I haven't come to terms with it all yet. I opted for no recon. The bra is a soft cup and I just use the pads that the cancer clinic gave me until I guess I heal enought to get a proper bra.But how can I relieve that painful sandpaper rubbing?I imagine that it is the nerves but how long will it last?Is it safe to put on a cream to massage my chest or should I wait to see surgeon. That will be on Wed. Tomorrow I see the medical oncologist. maybe he will know?...Thanks....

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited September 2012
    Options

I had a bmx with tissue expanders placed immediately on September 5. I have that sandpaper scraping/burning feeling too. It's horrible. Any fabric feels rough and irritating when I have flare ups, even my soft camisoles. My doctor just prescribed Neurontin, as the pain is caused by all those cut nerves. I was afraid to take it after reading the side effects, but this morning I was so uncomfortable, I took one. It's supposed to takes days before you feel results, and maybe it's just in my mind, but I feel "slightly" better. Tired though. Perhaps you should ask your doctor about Neurontin? It's worth a try! Good luck, and I hope you find some relief soon.

• cinnamonsmiles
    cinnamonsmiles Member Posts: 67
    edited October 2012
    Options

I am not a doctor, but had a BMX with node dissection and no reconstruction. I am 19 months out from surgery. I have severe PMPS and still have problems with scar tissue adhesions and now can add LE to the pot. I have numbness, pain in different forms, still get the shocks,feelings like I was beat with a baseball bat/like someone is rubbing their knuckle in me, pain when I put on deodorant (I found I need to use either a gel or roll on with a wide ball like Ban), my chest feels icky/scratchy.

I would suggest that you first see an occupational or physical therapist who is good at dealing with breast cancer patients. I have found it is a waste of time and money for me to see someone who has little experience or training. Scar tissue can be a bugger and it took me months of myofascial release and stretching to get it in check.

I have been seen at a pain clinic since June 2011, have been getting lidocaine IV infusions every 6-9 weeks, saw a wonderful pain counselor on how to live with chronic pain, and am on a number of medications.

THere is a good forum topic here called PAIN. There is a subtopic called PMPS in which many of us have been discussing our symptoms, treatments, beefs, etc. 

I have found that I need to be VERY specific in exactly how the pain feels, where, and how much. I write it down before the appt since I have other issues.And I think doctors took me more serious for some reason.

Try posting with us in the PAIN forum and PMPS forum. 

• Likea
    Likea Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi I just had bilateral mastectomy on August 23rd and I hate that tightness feeling across my chest. I find it helpful putting my whole hand on my chest where the incisions are and slightly massage it slowly that helps a little ,and don't worry that tightness feeling will go away in time, hang in there my friends. It also helps talking to Jesus to take it away, he will answar your prayer and keep you strong.

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited September 2017
    Options

Malikia - This is an old Thread that had not been posted on in 5 yrs. You could start a new Thread with your experiences that might get more responses.

Also the is a Prayer and Spirituality Forum would be a good place to talk with others who have similar beliefs to you.

• Likea
    Likea Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hi, yes I know the feeling, I had a bilateral mastectomy on Aug 23rd 2017. it feels like you have on an iron bra it feels awful, but the good news is eventually that chest tightness will go away. you just have to do stretches. stretching and massages helps. I have a question regarding stitches after surgery, I had the kind that dissolves on their own. dose anyone know if it's normal to have skin folds and deep grooves on one side, and other side not as much? Also, Will these folds ever smooth out? I feel the doctor butchered me.

• Tanzietiger
    Tanzietiger Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2017
    Options

I had masectomy 2013 All the stretching massage trying to exercise still dosnt so much I have to stretch gently 3 times a day I went through chemo and radiation and hysterectomy all by 2015 after that I was destroyed feeling especially so tired

I gained weight from being bed ridden so I need to lose 10 kgs so I can do reconstruction

When I read your post I was in same shock as you I'm not really sure how I'm surviving this rehabilitation

Getting a physio therapist who actually massages is something you need to do once a week to keep scar tissue from getting to hard

I am at a level where the scar tissue has grown to my armpits and cuts off circulation to my arms Very painful I wear compression sleeves and gloves which I got from hospital Everyone has a different level of masectomy outcome Not everyone has had it as bad as m

• Tanzietiger
    Tanzietiger Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2017
    Options

also any skin folds the plastic surgeon will fix when u get reconstruction or you can get scar tissue remova

• premmious
    premmious Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

I had a radical mastectomy with immediate reconstruction September 2016. I was experiencing so much pain and so many complications that I finally had the implant removed February 2017 and I still have chest tightness and so much pain. Something strange occurred though during the removal of my implant. The doctor went in and under the implant and Alloderm, the doctor discovered a large amount of dark,thick scar tissue and large layers of thick inflammation present. The doctor removed as much of this tissue as he could and for a very short while I felt relief. But here it is 11 months later and it feels like that tissue has returned. I can barely raise my arm it’s so tight, even after months of both PT and OT. My arm and pecks gets stretched and less than a hour later my chest and arm pit is tight again.

• Bonjh
    Bonjh Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2018
    Options

what kind of work dud you do at the gym? I am 8 months from the same surgery and still very tight

• ladykathy
    ladykathy Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hello Ladies-Thank you all for the HELPFUL information regarding chest tightness & constricting of my chest. So....nice to know w are not alone!! I had a lumpectomy in January of 2017 & then a bilateral in 3/2018. Its been 9 months and still am very uncomfortable. I did see a therapist & she also did massaging.(Which really helped) The tightness & constricting are a constant thing. My chest is a weather indicator. The slightest temp change or little chill I may get brings it on. Sounds like everything we are still going through is part of the package. I have this discomfort from the bottom of my , say bra line to up to my clavical (neck area) & from left to right arm. MY WHOLE CHEST AREA!! I exercise daily, (alot of stretching) and that I HAVE to because it gets so....tight! No pain, but miserable everyday. I think we just need to get used to the new us!!! Its hard ladies, but I still feel like I'm very blessed. Hang in there girls ( I could cry reading all these notes from all of you) WE ARE TOUGH GIRLS AND WE WILL PREVAIL!!! you are all in my prayers!!!! Happy New Year also!!

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited January 2019
    Options

Have you been checked for truncal lymphedema, ladykathy? The symptoms you're describing are exactly like my truncal lymphedema. Tightness and swelling across my entire chest area, as well as muscle spasms across my abdomen (because of my DIEP flap reconstruction)

If it is lymphedema, you need to gave a certified therapist teach you lymphedema massage. It will really make a huge difference.

Good luck.

Trish

• ladykathy
    ladykathy Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi Trish

Both my oncologist & physical therapist said I do not have Lymphodema. I personally feel they took out to much tissue. You can see my ribs & breast bone big time. Also, where my breast were, very concave! My chest bone gets cold all the time. I could not, or they reccomended not to radiate because I have localized scleraderma (connective tissue disorder). So I feel they took excessive tissue out maybe so they would get it all.

Does anyone out there have any issues with the tomoxifen? I had uterine discomfort after being on the Tomoxifen for only 5 monthes. My lining is 1.8 CM thick. Shouldnt be over 5mm. All my tests came back good so far. I go back in March for another ultrasound. They did a biopsy but had a hard time getting tissue. Then they did a saline ultrasound & expanded my uterus for a better view. All the test were very uncomfortable. I 'm wondering about a D & C.... to be on the safe side. I have until March to get a game plan. I'm 61 years old and need to be on the tomoxifen for at least 4 more years. I'm worried about the thickness in that time frame.

Thank you Trish for responding!! I will bring it up on my next doctor appointment.The whole breast cancer process is a challenge! Take care girls

• dlittkemann
    dlittkemann Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2019
    Options

I had bilateral nov 12 and still tight and so achey across back too. Hoping massage helps that. Think it's tension from surgery and all the stress w the whole "c" word situation. I booked first massage. Back one w peppermint oil for Thursday and can't wait. Hope it helps

• RobinG
    RobinG Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Options

I am 1 mos out of dbl masectomy the tightness was driving me crazy so i took situation in my own hands i take 1 aleve in the am, i rub plain vasilene on the suture lines, yes they are healed and I started low impact cardio and static stretching 3 x day, I have seen a Huge improvement in just 1 wk,