Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mirena IUD/breast cancer

Options

Comments

• lauriesh
    lauriesh Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Options

Mama peg,

I also had a tumor that grew very large very fast ( within 6 months) and never had a Mirena. Her2+ tumors are very aggressive and grow very fast.

I am not saying that Mirena didn't contribute to getting cancer, obviously there is no way to know that, but there are thousands of women diagnosed with an aggressive breast cancer that had no family history and never had a Mirena .

Laurie

• gentianviolet
    gentianviolet Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2013
    Options

Since the Marina IUD uses a synthetic progestin instead of natural progesterone, could it be possible that it is the synthetic progestin that is causing an increase in BC for many users?  Did they not find that HRT with just natural estrogen did not cause an upsurge in BC however when the synthetic progestin was added into the mix there was an increase in breast cancer.  Do they even make an IUD that uses natural progesterone, as the difference chemically (between progestin and progesterone) is very real.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Sending good thoughts

• caddyusa
    caddyusa Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    Options

Hi, I had Mirena put in feb 2008 and in sept 2008 I was diagnosed with a stage ll of bc with a 4cm tumor...age of 35 no family history or bracca positive , Like many of u I wondered if mirena has something to do with my bc, even thou I was triple negative with my ob doctor at the time removed right away after my diagnose , I did get in contact with a lawer with told me that my case did not qualified for the lawsuit that is going on....

• Cica
    Cica Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options

I was diagnosed with BC In 2009 at the age of 34 (barely). Stage 3B 6.7cm 4/26 lymphnodes positive. BrCa negative and no family of cancer AT ALL.

Double mastectomy (radical on the left side) 4 months of AC chemo +26 taxil treatments and 8 weeks of daily radiation. I had to have bowel reconstruction because my colon perforated from chemo and I was sick as a dog for a solid 10 months of treatment. Also opted to reconstruct with skin expanders and I now have silicon bags for boobs ;))

I had the Mirena placed after the birth of my daughter because my doctor told me that it was a better option for me while breastfeeding my daughter (in summer of 2004.) I was actually going to get the Mirena replaced and found the lump during self breast exam. After much kicking a screaming I was able to get a mammo and ultra sound both of which didn't come back conclusive BUT I did have a few micro calcifications so the radiologist said that if I wanted a biopsy he could order it but it wasn't necessary. I opted for the biopsy and was diagnosed 5 days later with stage 2b BC. It was not until my 4 hour mastectomy surgery turned into a 10 hour nightmare that we realized how advanced the cancer was (on chest wall and lymphs despite a negative MRI for those things).

Angels were definitely guiding and watching over me!!! Then I walked through hell and back. 4 years from my diagnosis I am just starting to deal with the emotional part of survival. I have two kids 9 and 11 and my husband is my hero. Whether or not Mirena was the cause, I appreciate everything so much more. I truly feel I'm lucky to be alive but have lived in constant fear of the cancer coming back. I have contacted an attorney to discuss my options. I am relieved to know that there is a real possibility that my advanced metastasized cancer may not have been my fault or a fluke (that's what my doctor said it was) but instead there may be an explanation!!

I am convinced that the Mirena was a factor and tell all of my friends that they should consider alternative birth control.

Love to all my BC survivors and all of those who have passed. We are all blessed to have found each other!

• Ducky4724
    Ducky4724 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Options

I had the Mirena iud put in in 2009 I had it for about 2 years. I started having severe pelvic pain, I saw my doctor she told me PID. I then one night had pain so severe I went to the ER. The Er doc immediately removed my Iud. I then went on to the doctor I have now and she suggested endometriosis. I then went in for laparoscopic surgery to confirm endometriosis and found I also had interstitial cystitis (chronic bladder disease) I've tried Elmiron , Lupron depot shots, bladder instillations and nothing helped. Monday I will be having a hysterectomy. I believe there is a direct link here as well as what you all describe. I do not have BC but I fear now I may want to get that checked out as well. I was perfectly normal before the iud and within two years (30 year old mother of two) my health has drastically gone down hill.

• shillbrick
    shillbrick Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    Options

Believe it or not, Erin Brockovich is investigating the Mirena. Everyone please login and tell your story..

http://www.brockovich.com/projects/mirena-iud/

• AnyaD
    AnyaD Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Options

I had lunch today with my treatment buddy and another lady She knows.....the 3 of us were talking and we all had the Mirena in for almost 5 years when we were diagnosed with breast cancer, the 3 of us all had high grade extremely aggressive tumours resulting in mastectomy and lymph node removal.

I just printed in 'Mirena links to breast cancer' as a google search and found this site and forum.

I have pondered on the Mirena and it's relation to my cancer as my cancer is hormone fed, the Mirena is still a much used contraceptive and given the ages of us 3 with the breast cancer it is alarming.......is the Mirena safe???!!!

• decorshoppe
    decorshoppe Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Options

I am 41 and have had the non hormonal IUD for 10 years. About 1 year ago I switched to Merina. While I loved that I had no periods, my breast have been tender (like when I was pregnant) more often then not. I just found a large palpable lump, Dr. confirmed it to be a cyst, had a normal mammogram, but my ultrasound shoed "echoes" meaning it is complex (not necessarily water fluid filled). I am headed to a breast surgeon tomorrow to have it either biopsied or removed and biopsied. Not sure what the Dr. will recommend. I don't feel I'm being paranoid. I strongly think the Merina caused this. My breast had always been so "normal" and then suddenly I have this terrible swelling and now a cyst formation? Fingers crossed that it is benign.

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2013
    Options

I was told that Mirena and other progesterone based birth control most likely caused my cancer.  Altogether, I was on a combination of them for almost 20 years.  Onc said progesterone is worse than estrogen.  It's difficult knews to accept, thinking that if I'd only pushed harder for my own tubal ligation or husband's vasectomy, things might be different.  Onc said a large number of women are showing up in her office after Mirena.  

• julz4
    julz4 Member Posts: 1,373
    edited December 2013
    Options

I have been reading this for a long time.  I was never on this Pill.  BUT I have been on & off for many years other brands.  The later years because of abnormal bleeding.    Then I had to off because of blood pressure problems.  So I was put on the Depo shot to help stop the bleeding.  Also was given provero the last few months daily  along with extra Depo shots until my Hysterectomy.  6+ years later I was DX with Triple Negative  breast cancer.   A year or so after my Hysterectomy I had my first bad mammo & had to have a biopsy.  All was good until I found my cancer same breast same side of breast that was biopsied 4 years before.  I have seen a few references between the Depo shot & Triple Negative Breast Cancer.  Things that make you go mmmmm.

• Srh242
    Srh242 Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2014
    Options

Bump

• Robbiegail26
    Robbiegail26 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    Options

I had the Mirena. I was diagnosed with BC in November, 2013. I am going through chemo right now. My genetic testing was negative. My tumor was 94% progesterone fed. I have been trying to research to see if the Mirena has anything to do with my BC and I stumbled upon this website. Can anyone give me any other information? Is there a class action lawsuit going right now?

• angel443
    angel443 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2014
    Options

hi . i had the mirena coil for 5 years then had it removed and had another one fitted , i too am thinking there is a connection between mirena coil and breast cancer .

• katherine1602
    katherine1602 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2014
    Options

I had my IUD put in about a year and a half ago. I'm now experiencing soreness and tenderness in my breasts. It could be due to the fact I have been sexually active whithin the last week. I'm scared because the only reasons I can come up with are that I may be pregnant or have breast cancer. The only other reason to have this procure is due to hormonal changes. I feel like hormonal changes are the least on the reason chart. I hope that someone can help me figure out whats really going on.

• macb
    macb Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2014
    Options

This mirrors my own thoughts that using Mirena caused my cancer to some degree. I had it put in after my second daughter was born because I was talked into it by my OB. I had it in for almost 2 years and then was getting ovarian cysts. I was depressed and moody while using it, at times I felt suicidal., I also couldn't loose weight no matter what I tried. Then I put "problems with IUD's " into Google and saw a site with thousands of complaints about Mirena, but almost none about the Copper IUD's. I had it taken out and got a copper IUD, but I still had weird problems and then I got my hormone levels tested and my estrogen levels were about 3 times higher than they should have been.  5 years later I was the first in my family to be diagnosed with bc. I had what is known as estrogen dominance after using the Mirena. I think it caused my innocuous left breast to go berserk and grow an enormous 11 x 9 cm ILC tumor. I would love to be able to sue the bastards as they profited from the misery of millions of women like me. 

• ginafish
    ginafish Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2014
    Options

I am just waiting for biopsy results now, but can't help but feel that mirena is responsible for my lump. I has my annual in November and no lumps detected then. Mirena inserted in December and discovered lump 2 weeks ago (swollen lymph nodes also found in the area). I am 38. I really feel mirena is responsible and if others have gone through something similar I would like to know if there is a class action suit against mirena. If anyone has any input, please let me know.

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited April 2014
    Options

I too had Mirena.  Dx with a huge 5cm + IDC  . I have  been told there is no link. But, I do wonder.

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2014
    Options

See my response to your other posting, ginafish.

• Tessy
    Tessy Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2014
    Options

Ladies,

I know this is an older thread but I just found this and wanted to comment. I too had a Mirena for several years. I had no family history of BC and was so confident that my risk for getting BC was low. I breastfed both my kids for 2 1/2 yrs each and never smoked and maybe had a few drinks a year. Average weight, so-so diet and exercise. I am a nurse and a lactation consultant, I KNOW BREAST WELL! How this got past me for so long upsets me. Lobulars are sneaky little devils. I just wish that someone would have informed me of the BC risk. I should have done my homework also. I am convinced that the Mirena was a contributing factor to my BC. I was 95% ER+/PR + also. I am so angry. I hope that they pull the Mirena off the market. I have been telling all my friends that have one to get it taken out!

• Srh242
    edited July 2014
    Options
  • jj02
    jj02 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Options

I had the iud put in over 5 years ago two weeks ago I was diagnoised with breast cancer. But with triple negative breast cancer. Has anyone been diagnoised with triple negative?

• Monicafick
    Monicafick Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    Options

I am 38 years old. Had the marina IUD put in 2 years ago and was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago. Breast cancer does not run in my family. I am Er and Pr positive. Any link with the IUD?

• Monicafick
    Monicafick Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    Options

Yes, I am 38 and had the Mirana in for 2 years. Was just diagnosed 3 weeks ago wit breast cancer.

• Tessy
    Tessy Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2014
    Options

Monicafick,

I am convinced that is what caused mine! Of course the MO and BS would not come right out and agree with me on that. I am sure there is a link.

• Srh242
    edited August 2014
    Options

There was a new study linking the iud and breast cancer,.

• inks
    inks Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2014
    Options

This topic has bothered me awhile. So today I had a visit with a gynecological oncologist for prophylactic oophorectomy (BRCA1+) and asked what he thought about Mirena since I still had it. And he replied that since I'm progesterone negative it could not effect my BC. So hopefully this clarifies it up for some of the PR- women who are blaming Mirena for their BC.

• Srh242
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi Inks: thanks for the clarification. Did he said it was ok to keep the mirena in ?

• inks
    inks Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2014
    Options

Srh242 - He said there is no harm in keeping it since I'm PR-. And he is a very intelligent gyno onc, he talked to the FDA last fall about the morcellation mess. But I will get my ovaries out because of BRCA+ and he will remove it then. But here's another thing that puzzles me about the BC Mirena connection - it is used to treat thickening of the uterus in women who are on Tamoxifen. Obviously we need more and larger studies.

• Srh242
    edited August 2014
    Options

thanks Inks. It might be that the mirena study didn't took into consideration braca or type of cancer, but I don't know. Maybe the mods can look at it.

• AmberWilson073180
    AmberWilson073180 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    Options

I have a really similar story. I had the mirena IUD in for 5 years. When it was time to remove it I decided to get on birth control pills. 1 year later I found a lump in my right breast that turned out to be stage 2 breast cancer at the age of 29 almost 30. The doc said that it probably had been growing for a year but to me it literally felt like it grew overnight.I tested negative for the BRCA gene. The type of tumor I had was ER+PR+ receptor. I def think hormones is why I was diagnosed so early in life. I also think since I have been researching there is a correlation between the mirena IUD and women getting breast cancer at a early age!