Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Book Lovers Club

Options

Comments

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited November 2010
    Options

LWD - As I mentioned earlier, the DH loves Lee Child.  Here's what he said about where the character Jack Reacher got his name from:

"Unusual name for a character. Where'd that come from? As a stay-at-home writer, I was available for errands. One day we were at the supermarket, and a little old lady said, hey, you're a nice tall gentleman [Child is 6-foot-4, just an inch shorter than the fictional Reacher], could you reach that can from the top shelf for me? My wife said if the writing thing didn't work out, I could be a reacher in a supermarket. People think there's some deep psychological dynamic to his name, but no."

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 112
    edited November 2010
    Options

Just finished the new Grisham - The Confession. I enjoyed it and it seemed to be more like his early novels that I enjoyed so much. My son (age 32) tells me that Greg Isles is the absolute best at legal thillers - much better than Grisham. Guess I'll have to start on those. I'm impressed with all your "heavy" reading - I read purely for entertainment. I think because my mind is toast!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2010
    Options

Thanks voracious for me the Franzen was a real slog I'm going to donate it to the library as they have about 200 on the list for it.  Alpal Greg Isles is fabulous and I don't know if anyone likes Harlan Coben but his "Gone for Good' is one of my all time favourites and I know what you mean about the "heavy" I have a friend who loves John Sanford - one was enough for me after they were drilling holes in someones feet yuk no no no!!!

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited November 2010
    Options

I second the vote for Greg Isles.  Will add Steve Berry

• mradf
    mradf Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2010
    Options

hbcheryl:  I returned the latest Sandford - and I'm a Sandford fan - after the first few chapters, and "Freedom" as well.  I never did get the whole Oprah bandwagon thing.  Although she's a perfectly lovely woman, I'm a middle class, married mom and she is not, so I have so little in common with her.  

I have a personal policy that if I do not look forward to reading or don't give a damn what happens next, it goes right  back to the library.  Too many books, too little time.

I'm waiting for the new Grisham to become available.  Meanwhile, I will check out some other suggestions posted here. 

Love this thread!

Be well,

Maria

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,030
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I have never cared for the Oprah suggestions either; they usually are depressing, depressing, depressing (and boring, boring, boring besides). Once I picked up a book solely because it was entitled So Many Books, So Little Time. Other than the suggestion to quit reading if you are not enjoying or getting something out of a book, it was NOT noteworthy, and it was the last book I finished just because I started it!!!
  • badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited November 2010
    Options

Ruth I'm with you on the Oprah books...love her but not her taste in literature.

Cheryl mentioning a new Jan Karon (I like Father Tim too) reminded me of the Elm Creek Quilters series by a Madison author, Jennifer Chiaverini.  http://elmcreek.net/index.php

In most of the books, the main character is a master quilter named Sylvia Bergstrom Compson. She and her young friend Sarah McClure open a quilters' retreat at Sylvia's family estate, Elm Creek Manor. Sarah and Sylvia run the "quilt camp" with the help of their friends, the Elm Creek Quilters. Other books are historical, featuring Sylvia's ancestors and earlier residents of the Elm Creek Valley.

I especially enjoyed The Runaway Quilt which taught me how women in the Underground Railroad communicated with one another via quilts.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The first volume of the Autobiography of Mark Twain has just come out. It is only coming out now because Twain stipulated that it not be published until 100 years after his death. According to the review in Time magazine, 'he was concerned that it was too full of Twain unchained'. They go on to say 'at times this book reads like the one we all expected Keith Richards to write'. Sounds interesting!
  • hbcheryl
    edited November 2010
    Options

Badger I love the Elm Creek series, last one I read was the Aloha Quilt and I loved the Runaway Quilt, she weaves the stories so it really doesn't matter what order you read them and am anxious to find out if Sarahs twins are boy/girl girl/girl or boy/boy.  Another favourite writer for me is Maeve Binchy.  I agree with everyone I love Oprah but I don't like her taste in literature although I have to say Ken Folletts "Pillars of the Earth" is probably my all time favourite read and when I traveled to the UK I looked at cathedrals in a completely different way after reading it.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I liked Pillars of the Earth too. And also Maeve Binchy.
  • hbcheryl
    edited November 2010
    Options
    See we are sistersLaughing
  • ruthbru
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I know we are!!! And of course, great minds think alike Wink.
  • hbcheryl
    edited November 2010
    Options

Okay Ruth here is a morbid confession, as you know Maeve Binchy is no spring chicken (heck neither am I) BUT a couple of years ago I bought a hardcover book of hers and put it away to read after she passes away.  If I go before her it's my loss and I know she has a new one coming soon.  But I still have that book tucked away.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2010
    Options

That is a new one to me......when I have a really good book; I morbidly read it fast, so I can't get hit by a bus or something before I finish it!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited November 2010
    Options

cheryl, I am with you, I love maeve binchey, all but "Firefly Summer"..that was way too depressing. All her others I love. her short stories are fun too.

• hbcheryl
    edited November 2010
    Options

Lisa short stories are how I found her.  I'm from Australia and I used to ride the bus to work 35/40 years ago and they used to sell short story books which were perfect for the bus.  If you go on to her website she puts up short stories there.

• socallisa
    edited November 2010
    Options

thanks cheryl..never been to her website

I also just read

Sarah's Key

Painted Ladies

South of Broad

• hbcheryl
    edited November 2010
    Options

Lisa just about every author has a website these days.  I also like Lisa Scottoline and she writes a fun newspaper column.  I just want to tell you that you are an amazing photographer I love your rose photos.

• voraciousreader
    edited November 2010
    Options

Ruth & Cheryl -

You both reminded me of my 92 year old uncle,  who is also a cancer survivor and voracious reader.  Speaking of macabre, not only does he insist on finishing a book QUICKLY, because, he says, at his age, "YOU NEVER KNOW," he also gave his kids a hard time about buying him a new laptop for his 90th birthday.  He was afraid the warranty would outlive him!  Surprised  Recently, I told him it was time to get rid of the laptop and  tell his kids it was time for an IPAD!

Ruth, speaking of autobiographies, I received an email from my library yesterday, telling me that the new Margaret Trudeau book, Changing My Mind is waiting for me.  Several years ago, she disclosed that she was bi-polar.  I read some interviews and watched some videos as she described her ordeal and want to read more about her life.  Before reading the book, I've already done a 180 on my opinion of her.  Taught me a lesson already.  Not to be soooo judgmental about others.  You never know what's going on behind the headlines.  I have a profound respect for her for coming forward about her illness.  Reminds me of Patty Duke.

• socallisa
    edited November 2010
    Options

I just started Harlan Coben's book

" Long Lost"

we shall see, I do like his other books..

this one is for you cheryl

• lwd
    lwd Member Posts: 234
    edited November 2010
    Options

Thanks, VoraciousReader,

I'm passing the Jack Reacher name info on to my daughter.  She loves the Lee Child books, also.

• lwd
    edited November 2010
    Options

I've kind of lost track of Maeve Binchy.  I read so many of her books years ago.  Will have to get into those again.  I think I read too many in a row and got a little tired of them.  But, now I think I'm ready once again!  Thanks for the reminder!

Have just started This is Where I leave you, by Tropper.  Am loving it so far!

What would we do without books?  (and a little knitting on the side, for me!)?  Actually, I feel like I'm now living the retirement life - albeit 10 years early - that I dreamed of years ago.  Feeling very well most of the time.

Lane

• ginadmc
    ginadmc Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2010
    Options

Here are a few books that I recently read. I thought they were good reads, not great works of literature but good for leisure reading.

A Soft Place to Land - Susan Rebecca White

A Scattered Life - Karen McQuestion

Promise Not to Tell - Jennifer McMahon

Now, I'm reading A Secret History by Donna Tartt that was recommended by others on this thread. So far, I'm enjoying it.   Gina

• socallisa
    edited November 2010
    Options

Lane, I knit too...mainly laprobes for the wounded veterans in wheel chairs..

I knit them and donate them to the VA hospital here..

When i was in college, I would sit in the back row and knit sweaters..

• lwd
    edited November 2010
    Options

SoCalLisa,

Great idea, the laprobes!  Years ago I knit like crazy - lots of sweaters.  Then, I kind of got away from it.  Recently taught my daughter to knit, have been doing easier things like hats and scarves.  Lots of fun.  A good thing to do when you just need to just sit and think.

Have you read any of the "knitting mysteries" by Maggie Sefton?  They take place in Fort Collins, CO, but they call it Fort Connor in the book.  Anyway, my "neck of the woods", so lots of fun for me.  Very easy reading and they make you want to knit!  Love the names- Needled to Death, A Deadly Yarn, A Killer Stitch, Fleece Navidad. 

Lane

• lwd
    edited November 2010
    Options

Gina,

Have you read The Little Friend, also by Donna Tartt?  I enjoyed both of those books!

I'll put the other 2 you mentioned on my growing list!  Thanks,

Lane 

• socallisa
    edited November 2010
    Options

Lane, I have read the knitting mysteries..fun

also on knitting ..we do hugaghans for BCOers

who really need them...check it out  under

moving beyond cancer time to circle the wagons

• lwd
    edited November 2010
    Options

Thanks for the info on hugaghans!  I've posted there to get further info. 

Lane

• Unknown
    edited November 2010
    Options

Wow, Am I the only one who liked Freedom?  It may have started out slow, but I really thought it was good,and thought provoking and I honestly was thinking this one friend of mine who is so infatuated with this guy who in reality would never make her happy should read it, but she probably would not see herself at all.  I just finished one I got at the airport by Wally Lamb...Wishin and Hoping....It was a scream.  I did not go to Catholic school, but have heard tales from my friends who did and I think anyone who went to a Catholic school would find it hysterical.  I also read Room....very strange book and I do not think the author did a good job telling it through a 5 yr old....don't have children myself, but i was reading things outloud to my friends who do, asking Now would a 5 year old say this?....granted thid kid certainly did not have a normal upbringing, but I just didn't buy it.  Oh and I also read Ape House and although it was not as good as Water for Elephants, I liked it. 

• voraciousreader
    edited November 2010
    Options

For those of you who are interested in Franzen's book Freedom, he taped his Oprah appearance.  It will be shown on December 6th.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/in-new-interview-winfrey-and-franzen-trade-hatchets-for-hugs/