Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Book Lovers Club

Options

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,851
    Options

I found the first Amanda Cross in Kindle form and downloaded it to my Libby app on my IPhone. I read it on the IPhone and found it "different" in the mystery genre. Not a lot of complexity to the plot.

DH and I have watched a couple of Harlen Coben's books adapted to film on Netflix, both in foreign countries. So I downloaded one of his many books on Libby and am reading it. I was familiar with his name but had not read him. He does spin tangled webs of people and happenings.

Our library allows me to borrow 20 ebooks for 21 days. The books go to my Amazon library. I download them to my Kindle, then turn off the wifi on the Kindle. Then the books can be returned to the library and still remain on my Kindle for as long as it takes me to read them, no harm to other borrowers.

I decided recently to read the Bible, starting with Genesis and have made it through Numbers. I am reading out of interest in the history and geography. I downloaded several reference books, too, that provide background information. I read on my laptop, using a Kindle app, for about an hour or so in the afternoon.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,986
    Options

I grabbed a book off a shelf in an airport and stumbled into a wonderful series. It's called 'Being A Jane Austin Mystery' by Stephanie Barron. The author takes recently discovered diaries, letters, her own knowledge of Jane Austin and the period; and weaves the real people she knew, places she went, and things she did into a plot that involves Jane solving a murder. There are 15 books. The first one starts after she rejects a suitor (a very shocking thing for a woman to do in those days), and I believe ends with her death at the age of 42. I've read the first 3 books and am on #4. They are delightful with lots of twists, turns, and suprises. Kind of a Nancy Drew for adults who like mysteries and learning about life in another time.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

I love Louise Penny books. I have also enjoyed Keigo Higashino detective books- they are Japanese and very different than many US authors.

Another good book I just finished was "Horse" by Geraldine Brooks- so well written and interesting.

And "The Sentence" by Louise Erdrich- so good, I have loved most of her books.

If you like magical realism "The Man Who Could Move Clouds" by Ingrid Rojas Contreras. it is a memoir of her life growing up in Colombia with her magical family - she came to USA years ago escaping from Pablo Escobar.

• carolehalston
    Options

DH is hooked on Louise Penny books. He downloads audiobooks from our library and listens to them through his hearing aids when he goes to the gym and also when he's busy in his woodworking shop. I read one or two but do not enjoy the characters as much as he does.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

Carole- It is so interesting when one person loves a book and I don't. I do think that Louise Penny books work better if read in order. many of the same characters are in each book.

I read a lot on audible from library while taking walks or sewing.

• ruthbru
    Options

This afternoon I went to the movie 'Are you there God? It's Me, Margaret'. It's based on Judy Blume's 1970 middle-grade novel by the same name. The movie was true to the book, a sweet coming-of-age story.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,101
    Options

Love Judy Blume. Thanks for the recommend.

Love my T-shirt that says "Any book worth banning is a book worth reading."

• carolehalston
    Options

Ironic that Blume's book is being banned while she is being awarded the Pulitzer. We live in a time when people want to impose their values on everyone else. I haven't read the book but love the title.

I might look for the t-shirt, Minus.

• ruthbru
    Options

Ironic, indeed. What a sad world we are living in.

• ruthbru
    Options

No wonder the world is going to hell in a handbasket!

• minustwo
    Options

Ruth - That is AMAZING. I didn't realize the stats were so horrible.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Just got a book that I am dying to read. The book is called Monster Fire at Minong: Wisconsin’s Five Mile Tower Fire of 1977 by Bill Matthias. I got the book after learning about this fire and that my Daddy was one of the many men who helped fight it as a member of the volunteer fire department where we lived at the time. I was skimming through it as soon as I got it and cried when I discovered Daddy’s name. I had a brief conversation with his best friend recently and was told that Daddy not only helped with fighting the fire, but also was part of the mechanical support and helped repair the equipment needed at the fire.

• ruthbru
    Options

Wow, that is very cool

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Yes it is Ruth. Never knew that about my Daddy.

• minustwo
    Options

m0mmy - you'll have to report back after you read the book. It's neat to find a book that intersects with your personal history.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

I will. I was going on two at the time of the fire.

• carolehalston
    Options

Definitely cool, reading about your dad in a book.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

I read the book in one day. Even used it as a book to talk about in a previous class and the professor and the “Teacher’s Pet” of the course ripped me over using it because it wasn’t something they thought was worth being used for a class discussion on books.

• ruthbru
    Options
  • m0mmyof3
    Options

So accurate for me!

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,154
    Options

Buying books is like eating potato chips, who can stop at one?

• m0mmyof3
    Options

For real!

• minustwo
    Options

Especially at our monthly library sale, where hardbacks like new average $2.00 each. I always come home with 20+ books.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

The last book I read was The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead. Wasn’t reading it for fun, it was for class

• carolehalston
    Options

Mommyof3, what kind of class are you taking?

I know Minus will be glad if we activate this thread. I'm reading an interesting book in the mystery category but I'll have to look at my Kindle for the author and title. I check out 20 ebooks from our public library and then turn off the wifi on the Kindle so the books can be returned to the library but remain on the Kindle. I pick out some unknown (to me) authors because I have already read so many of the available books by authors with whom I'm familiar.

Minus, what are you reading? Or should I ask how many books are you reading at this time? LOL.

• minustwo
    Options

Carole: Right on! I even bought myself a T-shirt as an early Christmas present: Books, the original Hand Held Device.

I'm not good at reading more than one at a time, but I am reading several each week. (ah retirement). I really liked "The Girl Behind the Gate" by Brenda Davies. Starts in 1939 when a 17 year old gets pregnant out of 'wedlock' and won't name the father. She is committed to an insane asylum as a moral degenerate and is stuck there for 40 years. Then I read "Heart of Ice" by Lis Wiehl. Set in Portland, OR with a crime reporter, an FBI special agent and a prosecuting DA working together. Amazing "book group" questions to think about: what do you believe is purpose of the justice system, and should teens be treated differently, and do you believe some people (sociopaths) are born without a moral center?

Found another author new to me - Robert Pobi - winner of the 2020 Best Foreign Crime Novel of the Year. I started with "City of Windows" and quickly got the library to find me the next two in the Lucas Page series.

Read a Lisa Jackson/Nancy Bush (500+ pages) but loaned it to a friend & can't remember the name. I do know that I read all night one night. I kept telling myself 'just one more chapter', but by 6am the die was cast. Took a short "nap" and then finished the book the next day. Needless to say nothing else got done. Also that's only possible because I live alone so I don't really have any interruptions.

Oh - and I did buy a copy of Emily Dickinson's COMPLETE poems. I only had an old copy of the Modern Library "selected" poems. I like the idea of opening at random and putting my finger on one each day.

You all do know … it's not hoarding if it's books!!!!

• minustwo
    Options

The Lisa Jackson book was "Wicked Lies". I'm really not reading anything serious right now except some very thought provoking articles in The Atlantic and Harpers. And I'm one of those people who still depends on the delivery of my daily newspaper (emphasis on paper) instead of TV news.

I did purchase a copy of Evelyn Waugh's "Bridehead Revisited". My original copy disappeared many years ago and for some reason I think I need to re-read that. And I have the latest Louise Penny waiting on the shelf for my Christmas reading.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

I was reading that book for a Multi-Ethnic Lit class. So happy it’s over as its not the kind of stuff I would normally read. I really struggled with it. At least I got to read a lot of Shakespeare for my other class, which I love and excelled at.

• m0mmyof3
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hoping this week I can start a book I got recently. its called Sudden Sea: The Great Hurricane of 1938 by R.A. Scotti. Its about the Hurricane of 1938 that devastated New England in September 1938. My step-grandmother and her sister were girls at the time and my grandma told me about that storm. The funny part of their stories was that my step-Great Aunt was worried about their mother who was working at the time and they didn’t know if she was stuck at work or on her way home, but my grandma was more upset about all the candy that was floating past their house from the nearby candy store! Of course, my grandma was only eight at the time, so I can understand her being upset about the candy.

• minustwo
    Options

Great that you got to hear those memories mOmmy.

I'm currently re-reading Waugh's "Brideshead Revisited". Haven't even thought about this in 50 years but I keep seeing it listed as "one of the best…." Interesting accounting of a place in time. Those of us that are older usually say the time "between the wars" - referring to WWI and WWII. Likely picked it up from my parents. Dad was born in 1911 & Mother was born in 1914.

For light reading, I recently finished Cemetery Girl by David Bell and Ruth Rendell's Speaker of Mandarin and Louise Penny's A World of Curiosities.