Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemotherapy for Stage IV

Options

Comments

• Reneepals
    Reneepals Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2011
    Options

Poohfan,

You definitely have to be off the Avastin for a month. I usually heal super quick.  When I got my port, I was taken off all treatment. We think a little to soon. The Avastin that I started, actually helped push my port right out of the healed incision on my chest. It caused so much grief. I ended up getting a infected port, it had to be pulled and another placed. For me, they kept me off the Avastin longer than a month and now, I hardly even know my new port even exists in my body. I would have never believed that Avastin can cause your body not to heal, if it didn't happen to me.

• waves
    waves Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2011
    Options

Aloha!  My liver has shown progression so I am coming off Abraxane.  My oncologist is going to try Halaven and something else.  The anti-depressants have helped.  

Marybe I hope the new Chemo regiment is kind to you.  I too have not chemo for a few weeks.  It sure has been a wonderful break.  I do feel some possible issues coming up.  As we all know with cancer you are never sure what physical pangs are normal or cancer.  One thing cancer does it make moments of life so much sweeter.  

Live the day well!   

• Towny
    Towny Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2011
    Options

Dear Waves

Can you get on a PARP trial there are some in california.. I think at Sanford!!! Tell your oncs to find something for you asap!!!

Good luck we are all praying for you

• IVBCSIS
    IVBCSIS Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Fionaz: I am new here too and am here for my sister. She was diagnosed with stage IV, ILC in the fall of 2006. I don't know all the details as some of you do. My sister either doesn't ask for all the details or she doesn't share them, I am not sure which. I do know that she went through a clinical trial of Abraxane and Xeloda combined back in 2006. She also took a hormone blocker, not sure which one. Her scans were eventually clear and she did not have a recurrence until fall 2010. It was stated then that the hormone blocker was no longer working. She went back on chemo in Dec 2010 beginning with the combo, then just xeloda and now just abraxane. Trying to find the most effective solution with the least toxic results. You are welcome to email me (preid@sti-k12.com) if you just want to communicate. I don't know that I have a lot of knowledge to share but am told I am a good listener. I wish you the best possible results with your treament.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

Waves.  There is a halaven thread.  I get my second dose of it tomorrow and then will have the following week off.  I think this is the week I get the neuprogen shot, but maybe I won' t need it.  So far, no real SEs that I can detect....I had some odd muscle spasm thing going on Sat in the middle of the night, but think maybe it was something else because I took a muscle relaxant and the next day was just fine. 

• IVBCSIS
    edited May 2011
    Options

Marybe: You are such an inspiration and what a wonderful person to share your experience here with all the ladies. I know just enough about my sister's diagnosis to keep me utterly confused,  frustrated and in tears often. I can not imagine my sister participating in a forum such as this so it has been beneficial for me to read all of your posts. I appreciate you all but specifically you considering the years you have dealt with stage iv cancer!

Phyllis

• IVBCSIS
    edited May 2011
    Options

My sister's beast cancer is ILC which I understand only makes up about 10% of breast cancers so I guess that is why I don't see posts from others with that same type. As strange as it sounds her breast cancer was found in fall of 2006 due to a mass in her colon which turned out to be a metastasis (did I spell that right?) of the breast cancer. From what I undersatnd, no tumor was ever detected in the breast. She did not have surgery or radiation, it was chemo from the start. So, she had mets to the colon and the chemo zapped that. I believe she also had mets to the bone and I want to say stomach too. At some in early 2007 her scans were clear so she was being maintained on hormone therapy only (Femara, I believe) until fall 2010 when apparently the Femara quit working. I believe they tried her on one or 2 others before going back to chemo.  I don't get real precise details and what I do get is 2nd and 3rd hand details that are pretty vague or watered down. For instance, "the scan showed a change in the bone, so we should change the hormone therapy drug". "The scan showed a thickening of the lining of the stomach which is indicative of active cancer, so we should begin chemo again." So, I then deduce that means, mets to the bone and to the stomach. Wow I have learned so much and still have so much to understand. Thank you all! 

• sharalou
    sharalou Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2011
    Options

Why chemo and why not? This is so confusing? I have a mass in the supraclavicular area, and my onc. (since 2005), wants to zap it then surgery, along with fasoldex (2nd one tomorrow). Went for second opinioin, and she was chemo, no surgery. WTF? I am so confused, don't know which way to go.  Any thoughts out there?

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

I just posted and lost it.....Grrr.  Sis, Lobular is more rare, but oddly enough I have two local friends who were diagnosed just last year.  Both had double mast and chemo and the one rads after.  As of now both are fine.  Maybe your sister doesn't remember everything the onco says....I know I don't....is it possible to go with her sometime?   Two sets of ears are always better than one  You are a good sister to be so involved.

Shara....If the two opinons are too varied, why not go for a 3rd?  Sort of a tiebreaker.  If it is systemic, meaning in more than one area, in your system so to speak, chemo hopefully goes after all of it, whereas surgery would only fix the area being operarted on and there is always a chance it could return there or go elsewhere. 

• IVBCSIS
    edited May 2011
    Options

Marybe, I'm glad your friends are doing well. As far as my sis, It is very possible that they don't hear or remember everything. Her husband always goes with her, which is a good thing. He has been an awesome husband to her for sooo many years! It is also possible that they don't ask for a lot of the specifics as you all discuss here. I believe it is their way of handling it. Me going with her is not an option since she lives about 6 hours away and I can't casually offer to go, it would have to be a planned trip. She has not accepted any offers of the family coming to visit oe to help. She knows I would jump in the car or on a plane in a heartbeat but she says she doesn't need anyone to come sit with her. She hasn't agreed to let her own daughter come with or without the grandchildren. They haven't seen eachother since Dec. She has a friend nearby that takes her to the doctor if her husband happens to be out of town. Thank goodness for her friend!

Shara, I am with Marybe, go for a third if that is an option and do what makes most sense to you. Dang, why can't this be an exact science? I feel so much for all of you and the decisions you must make. As my 22 yr old would say, "which sucks less??" LOL

• sharalou
    edited May 2011
    Options

??? What drugs do they use after they have used adramycin, taxotere and cytoxin?

• Mary-CT
    Mary-CT Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi ladies- I have not been on the site in quite some time, but I wanted to get back to it because we all really understand what each other is going through and provide amazing information and support. I was diagnosed stage IIIA in 3/2006. Had a Lumpectomy, 20 nodes removed of which 15 were positive. Adriamycin, cytoxin and taxol and 37 radiation treatments followed. Tamoxifin and then Aromasin daily. I was clear for 2 years and then in 3/2009 my tumor markers spiked and a PET showed a metastatic spread to the nodes in my mediastinum, spine, hip ,sternum and on the hilum going to my lungs. Tried Femara, Faslodex, Xeloda, and Gemzar each for 3 to 4 months w/o being able to stabilize the disease.I also get Zometa every 6 weeks or so. In January I started Halaven and was so very optimistic about this. Dealt with the SE but my breathing has deteriorated and I am not able to walk more than a short distance w/o being winded. Also started Prilosec as I was vomiting and the ENT diagnosed Acid Reflux. Prilosec has helped and the hoarseness of my voice is improved. I am on oxygen at home, but I dont take it with me to work (still working F/T as I am the family medical benefits) .Petscan 2 weeks ago showed more spread and now it is in both lungs. My onc started me on Abraxane. About 48 hours after my first treatment on 4/26 I started with bone/joint pain that kept getting worse. The scary part was that it kept progressing and I didnt know when the pain would stabilize and then start to diminish. I was taking percoset every 4 hours and it wasnt even touching the pain. 48 hours on percoset and you can guess the constipation that accompanied it. Anyway, that has passed. About 10 days after the first treatment, I started feeling crappy. Counts were down so I got a nupigen shot and seem to be OK now. Have another Abraxane next Tuesday. Has anyone had experience with the SE on subsequent treatments? My onc said they may be a little easier, but I did have some trouble with taxol  SE back in 2006 so he is not really sure.But now I know what to expect and  will be prepared. Any info( and cheerleading) would be greatly appreciated.  When I read this it sounds a little woe is me, but after 2 plus years of 5 different chemos and the SE damage they have done w/o even stabilizing my cancer I keep hoping the next treatment I try will be "the one". My good wishes and prayers go out to all of my stage IV sisters that their present treatment is "the one" that will make a difference. Thanks for providing a place to share this kind of info with people that truly understand because you have been there or someplace quite similar.

• Reneepals
    Reneepals Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2011
    Options

Mary,

Hugs Sista. I did Abraxane & Avastin recently (Aug-Dec). It is hard to tell what s/e are from what drug. But I will tell you, the Abraxane was not nearly as bad as Taxol was regarding neuropathy. I still got it, but not as bad as when I did Taxol, when first Dx'd.

• sweetangel
    sweetangel Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2011
    Options

Voted for you Marybe...I hope you win. Goodluck.  Just came home from my 3rd cycle of CHEMO......still no SE from it....hopefully it stays the same till I am done with 6 cycles....:-)  I need more strength for my baby....not a good day for her to get sick :(....she started havin fever this morning......:(

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

Sweet, thanks, I still have a long way to go,but since people can vote every day I am still hoping....I posted a few other threads asking for help.  I hope your baby is not too sick and you don't catch anything yourself.  How may doses make a cycle.  I get next week off, but go for my xgeva shot.....also get neulasta tomorrow.

Mary,  Abraxane was a rough one for me, but it did shrink my tumors.  I now take nexium instead of protonics.  I started halaven last week and so far no SEs.....it is amazing how we all respond differently. 

Sharalou,  There are tons of drugs out there....gemzar, xeloda, navelbine.....hormonal if you are ER +.....herceptin if you are Her2nu +.......all kinds of treatments and combos. 

• Treso
    Treso Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2011
    Options

Phyllis:

I, too, was diagnosed ith ILC in June 2008 (Stage III at that time).  I did chemo, bilateral mastectomy, radiation and DIEP Flap Reconstruction.  I was on Tamoxifen until I was diagnosed with mets to my bones in August 2010, had my ovaries out and did Faslodex and Zometa until a PET scan last month showed a small lesion on my liver.  I just started Xeloda and Taxotere since I wanted aggressive treatment.  This is just my first of three cycles.  Crazy me but I hope chemo will continue for a while as I feel like I'm actively fighting the cancer.  I am nervous when I'm just on a hormone blocker.  But, since this is all relatively new, I'm hoping that feeling of wanting to do active chemo will pass and I'll be okay when I'm on the hormone blocker once these lesions are stable.  I'll have a PET scan at the end of June to see how well I'm responding.  I am very lucky in that, so far, I have tolerated all treatments very well.  I have the typical side effects but nothing that keeps me down.  I feel great other than some minor digestive issues and the typical pain in the bones to which I have mets but even those feel better these days.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it (I have to, it's still my turn!).

I don't know what I would have done these past three years if it had not been for my sister.  She has been my guardian angel.  She attended every appointment with me (I let her off the hook for chemo-hey, the woman had to work sometime), was my ears, my rock and my voice of reason and hope.  She researched every drug, treatment and surgery I received.  She bought me a notebook for my doctors' appointments and then took all the notes when I couldn't see through my tears.  She stayed with me in the hospital during my reconstruction (six loooooooong days).  She has kept my spirits up with cards, some funny, some serious but always what I needed at that very moment; somehow she just knows.   She has her entire church praying for me.  She has helped me financially, emotionally and spiritually.  She would be with me in a heartbeat when I needed her (she lives 1 1/2 hours away but it seemed like 1 1/2 minutes because she makes herself so available).  I want to thank her but gestures and words seem so small compared to what she's done for me so, I will love her fiercely.  All my mom wanted from life was to raise a loving family.  I believe she got her wish.

I tell you this because it sounds like you, too, care so much for your sister.  It's too bad that you live so far away.  I certainly hope she knows how much you care.  We are lucky to have family we would choose as friends.

Treso

• Treso
    edited May 2011
    Options

sharalou:

I am currently doing two chemos (Xeloda and Taxotere) when I really only need to do one.  I am going aggressive.  I know that more isn't always better but my onc agreed to the two since I am young and in good health (well, except for the bc, of course).  I agree with Marybe; sounds like a third opinion may be in order.

Sending you good thoughts...

Treso

• mom2acat
    mom2acat Member Posts: 87
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies;

I haven't been here much lately but you are all always in my prayers.

I'm still doing the Navelbine; the worst side effects for me continue to be the constipation and the fatigue. No hair loss with this one though!

• IVBCSIS
    edited May 2011
    Options

Treso, you and your sister seem to have such a wonderful relationship. How awesome for both of you! Yes, I love my sister dearly and she knows it. She knows I would do anything for her. She actually has 2 sisters, 3 brothers and a mother who would do anything for her, but she isn't reaching out or accepting help from us. Maybe she doesn't want or need it at this point. We are trying to respect her wishes and privacy. I have found the best way I can help so far is to be there for her daughter and grandchildren. Filling in for her I guess you could say. That is an easy job since I love them too!

I read your concise journey from 2008 until now and it amazes me how your journey is sooo different than my sis'. It is so great that you are tolerating chemo so well. I will keep you and your sis in my prayer journal.

• sharalou
    edited May 2011
    Options

Just wondering, had taxotere and cytoxan (finished in Dec)-2nd time around, and developed supraclaviclar ca.  What chemo is there to use, if they decide to use again?

• sharalou
    edited May 2011
    Options

Also, to add to mine, my onc. says rads first, surgery, then maybe chemo? SHIT!

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

I am still trying to get votes and am putting this on every thread I post on and apologize for possibly driving you all nuts, but I really want to get as many votes as I possibly can so I can say I gave it my very best shot.  There are only two days left to vote and then I will get back to posting about breast cancer....not my favorite subject, but also part of my life.  The new chemo is not causing me any SEs so far, but that neulasta shot was a killer....sent me to bed for over a day!

DREAM & REDEEM from American Express apps.facebook.com Check out my photo at the Memorable Miles photo contest from American Express. Vote for my entry and help me win 100,000 miles!     

OK, ladies, a non BC related request and I won't bug you any more after tomorrow at 11:59 PM....I am in this contest to win miles....I will not win, but I am up to 23rd place and am pretty proud of that....all you need to do is click on dream and redeem and then a page comes up that will be facebook and if you wait a sec a pic comes up on the memorable miles page and it is a picture of me with my friend Kathy when I went to MDAnderson, post chemo hair....all you have to do is click on the red VOTE box....it will say thank you for voting....but then again you probably have to use your facebook login , then it will tell you thanks for your vote.  If you are not on FB, maybe  you know someone who is.  This is petty I know compared to cancer and the SEs, but I like to concentrate on the little things and honestly think doing the everyday life things are what has kept me going for so long.  You can vote today and again tomorrow and then it's over. Thank you.

• Treso
    edited May 2011
    Options

Marybe:

I clicked on your link but didn't get to the vote page.  I tried logging on to facebook to the contest but, no luck there, either.  I'm trying!  I have 1 1/2 hours left, I believe.  Help!

Treso

• Treso
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Phyllis:

If your sister is anything like me, it was very difficult for me to ask for or accept help until I realized that those around me just didn't know what to do.  My family and friends have been unbelievably supportive but felt helpless at the same time.  I started accepting help (it's often still difficult but, I'm working on it...) and found that it helped us all.  My family and friends felt like they were doing something and my burdens were being eased.  I have always been an "I can do it myself" so this has been good for me to work on, too.  It sounds like you're doing all that you can right now.

It's really something how everyone is so different with the same disease.  I will keep you and your sister in my prayers as well.

Treso

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oh Treso, thanks for trying....they always say every vote counts, but at that point I do not think it would have made a lot of difference.  I came in 16th and thought that was pretty good since I got a late start and there were over 3,000 entries.

Well, yesterday my hair started coming out....not a lot, just hairs here and there, noticed them lst on the keyboard of the computer and knew they did not belong to any of the pets.  I saw the onco yesterday and my white count is up from the neulasta shot which makes me happy since I would hate to have felt that rotten and had it do nothing....it is up to 39.9 which I guess is really high.  The nurse said I really showed a response to it so next time she would imagine they will half the dosage which is fine with me.  No other SE....constipated, but was used to that from the last two chemos.  I got an Xgeva shot Wed. but no chemo since this is my week off.  Treatment #3 will be next week.  So far halaven has been very tolerable, but that neulasta shot was a rough one.  Hope you are all doing well. 

• waves
    edited May 2011
    Options

Aloha Everyone!  

Please advise any helpful remedies you can think of for those on Xeloda and Ixempra.  Wednesday I started my first cycle and I am absolutely floored.  I am having terrible tummy cramps and the tips of my fingers are burning a bit. 

I have read through all the information packets and nothing is so bad to stop taking the medication. I am really wondering if the side effects get less?  Or what real actions have helped others.

Thank you for any advice! 

• ksingh0
    ksingh0 Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2011
    Options

Waves,

I am hoping someone comes along soon on your exact regimen....  I was on Xeloda for a short while (taxotere + xeloda, now just taxotere).  Xeloda gave me terrible tummy cramps and bad diaherria.  I also had trouble with my hands.  They gave me some good meds for my GI issues that finally worked but we could never fix the hand issue.  They lowered the dose and then eventually took me off of it.  I hope someone comes along with better advice.  In the meantime I hope your are doing OK and wanted you to know that you have my support.  =)

• waves
    edited May 2011
    Options

ksngh0,

That is exactly what is troubling me so much.  Terribly tummy cramps.  I have not had the runs.  Thank you for posting.  Just knowing that someone has experienced such symptoms and it is not necessarily from cancer.  

I hope you are on a good treatment now,

Carolyne  

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Options

I know someone from the boards who is on Xeloda and tolerating it well, but she does not get the Ixempra.  A young woman just posted on the thread I am on for us who just started chemo in May and her mother was doing Ixempra, but I think she is now off of it and looking for new options.  However, I do not know of anyone doing the combo together.  Maybe you could start a thread and get some info that way?  Be sure to call you doctor's office and tell them the SEs you are having....maybe they could phone in a Rx or will adjust the dosage of the premeds and treatment itself. 

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    edited May 2011
    Options

Scan results after 3 TCH-breast tumour shrunk by half-still attached to chest wall though. Liver tumour went to 3mm/barely visible and all small surface tumours gone. Some lung tumours have changed size and density-others that have not changed are now presumed to be old scars from undiagnosed lung issues. Tracheal, supraclavicular and axillary nodes are now all normal size, shape and density.

I couldn't have asked for more. I will get the oncs impressions tomorrow. His phone message was short and sweet "Fantastic results-I am so happy for you!!"