Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Laryngitis...anyone?

Bmarie
Bmarie Member Posts: 14

Anyone have laryngitis along with Taxotere or any of the Taxanes? I have had it for three and a half weeks.....it's getting very old! I am now off the weekly Taxotere and on to every 3 week Abraxane. Any thoughts? Thanks!

~Barb

Comments

• chainsawz
    chainsawz Member Posts: 113
    edited June 2010

I thought it was just me!!  I had a horrible case of laryngitis....for over three weeks while I was on taxotere.  I happened after my 4 round, but my blood counts were good and my scans and xrays of my lungs looked good.  I was also short of breath but that got better after I was off the taxoterrible :>  It took a month or so, but I did get back.  I don't have any experience with abraxane, so hopefully that one will be kinder to you!!!

• DARLENEDENISE
    DARLENEDENISE Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010

Yep, had it while on Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin.  Saddly for those near and dear to me, my voice did come back!!!

Good luck with the Abraxane....Darlene

• jenn1975
    jenn1975 Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2010

I got it too while taking Abraxane & Avastin

• Bmarie
    edited June 2010

I am soooo happy that it does come back! I was at the drugstore yesterday...was kinda upset, but no use trying to argue with a whisper.  They had better watch out....... :)

Thanks for your input!!!!!

• heatherpalmerton
    heatherpalmerton Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2010

At one point or another i do get laryngitis, Sometimes worse that others. I also think allergeries cause some of mine too. If I talk to much it will happen too,.

• RegulJ
    RegulJ Member Posts: 9
    edited June 2010

Dear Bmarie-

I had 6 rounds of Taxotere and although I didn't get laryngitis I did notice a change in my voice. I thought I sounded like a long term smoker I also discovered that I wasn't able to sing (not that I am very good at it).

After the 6 doses I also noticed that the upper part of my throat was sore for the longest time. I had trouble swallowing breads and "stiff" foods. Finally it has gotten better.

Good Luck!

• LorettaM
    LorettaM Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010

Yep, I'm on Taxotere and Xeloda right now and lose my voice after every Taxotere treatment.  So irritating--especially since the steroids make me want to talk nonstop, lol.

• Anne45
    Anne45 Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2010

I was on taxol and lost my voice too.  I still have a sore throat and have been off taxol since Feb.

• FightnF8
    FightnF8 Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2010

I had 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxin and got laryngitis after round 4.  Could have made a fortune being a phone sex operator!!  Ended up with bronchitis a few weeks after that.  Felt better after antibiotics and cough medicine with codeine.  Last chemo was March 25 and I am still celebrating being done with it!!!  Those last weeks were rough.

• Bmarie
    edited June 2010

It's amazing when you ask the docs about this....they act like they have never heard of it....thanks, once again, everyone for letting me know that I am not the only one dealing with this! 

~Barb

• lauraslady
    lauraslady Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012

Started Taxol four weeks ago and two weeks ago completly lost my voice my doctor is blaming it on allergies. I have since found out that laryngitis is a side effect of taxol what other side effects are doctors not telling us about. Haven't lost to much hair although it is nice not having to shave me legs.

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited April 2012

It would be nice if we, the patients could easily report our SE's. We're the ones that have them. The SE's that usually are listed are from the clinical trials before the med went official.

• bhd1
    bhd1 Member Posts: 173
    edited April 2012

i have it ,  started when i was on navelbine.   still have it, on xeloda/tykerb.  onc says it is allergies which are worse because of chemo

• K-Lo
    K-Lo Member Posts: 826
    edited April 2012

Thank you, Bmarie....   the onc was like, "Wha?, who told you chemo causes a hoarse voice?"

i see a pulmonologist tomorrow, and will ask him to look at vocal cords.  Ill let you know if he has an answer!

• Anko66
    Anko66 Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2012

Ladies, I am at an out of hours clinic right now with, yes, you guessed, suspected laryngitis (week 12 of taxol).

• kayfh
    kayfh Member Posts: 79
    edited April 2012

When I was doing Taxol I had a very weak and raspy voice. I was referred to an ENT because my onc claimed never to have seen this. My taxol ended and a few weeks later my voice returned. Mmm

• kayfh
    edited April 2012

When I was doing Taxol I had a very weak and raspy voice. I was referred to an ENT because my onc claimed never to have seen this. My taxol ended and a few weeks later my voice returned. Mmm

• K-Lo
    edited April 2012

Here's my update from pulmonologist: he does NOT see carcinomatosis on my scans.....real good.news. re.the hoarse voice, I have to see ENT. Hmmm! Anyway, he thinks it.could be from reflux.but ENTER should look at vocal cords.just in case. Apparently there's a territory agreement where pulmonary only scopes below the larynx! :*)

• kayfh
    edited April 2012

The ENT looked at my vocal cords, nada. Thought perhaps was reflux. Maybe yes maybe no, but the raspy weak voice is gone, gone, gone!

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited April 2012

started on Xeloda.. still with me and a bit worse with Abraxane.. it's so irritating.

• K-Lo
    edited April 2012

I guess its better to gave no clear answer than the kind of answers we often get. :*/

• K-Lo
    edited June 2012

Dear Friends with laryngitis.

ENY looked at my vocal cords Friday.  I was thinking there was a polyp or worse making my voice go out.  The cords don't open much.  So they think my shortness of breath is due to tight vocal cords.   Tight vocal cords most likely due to pressure on nerve that opens them.  Nerve that opens them comes from chest.  Chest has disease.  

Now, the hoarseness issue.  Is it due to coughing to get my breath through tight vocal cords or unrelated GERD (reflux) or ? My Dh thinks they said cords are strained to create an audible voice.  We need to take a tape recorder!

Hoping that the 6 week break in Halaven for rads did not let things go crazy in the chest.   

Why so complicated?    80% of  my body is capable of living, having fun, helping others.  Not ready to let the 20% stop the rest ......

• Jahaage
    Jahaage Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2015

I just came down with it. I thought I was getting a cold. Couldn't keeo up with hydrating. It's been hot here in Chicago! But now I'm straining to be heard. Glad to hear it's not uncommon.

• Liveinthepresent
    Liveinthepresent Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2020

I was on Xeloda and started with Laryngitis in December. Made it worse by overusing my voice with my dog on an activity. Since then, my voice has been very weak-laryngitis coming and going. Diagnosed with reflux and then saw an ENT who looked at my vocal cords-no problem with nodes. He said it was from reflux-but I still have it and it's worse. Now I'm on Abraxane-have had 3 months of treatment with 3 to go but I have very little voice. I'm writing notes to my husband and using text messages to my friends. Trying not to say anything to give my voice a complete rest. No throat pain but it feels tight. I do have a cough. I'm on medication for the reflux and that is slowly improving. Anyone else suffering with laryngitis? My doctor says it can't be from the chemo but I do believe it is. I see others have posted a problem with it too.

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited May 2020

It is very distressing to lose one's voice. I became hoarse in 2011 due to a chest lesion that was found to be pressing on the laryngeal nerve which in turn caused vocal cord paralysis. After my treatment began working my voice gradually came back. There are also outpatient bulking procedures that can be done to help the paralyzed vocal cord meet with the non-paralyzed vocal cord so that a better degree of sound can be made when speaking.