Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

after mastectomy - how long were your drains in?

Options

Comments

• Twinmom77
    Twinmom77 Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Maryellen, the original post was in 2010 so I sure hope she has her drains out by now! lol.  As for me, on the other hand, I am 6 weeks and 2 days out from my BMX and I STILL have one damn drain left!  Had four originally, two came out after the first week, #3 just came out last week. I see my PS tomorrow but I'm still putting out about 25-30 cc a day so I have no hopes that it will come out tomorrow. Yell  That means I'll be going on 7 weeks with this f******g thing!  I'm about ready to pull it out myself!
  • IndigoMont11
    IndigoMont11 Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2012
    Options

So far thinking about the drains are the part that is bothering me the most.  I'm trying not to gross out about it, but I've never had anything like that before.  Trying to suck it up... Those of you who clipped them to a lanyard -what kind did you use?  I have the one I wear to work; when I sit it hangs below my knees if I don't put it in my lap, so maybe that will work - they just said they have to not be too high....

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited March 2012
    Options

The bmx I had was just over a month ago and there were two drains, one on each side.  They were removed together 1-1/2 week after.  Remember, your mileage may vary.  We are all different human beings with different physical responses.

Hope that helps.

• Twinmom77
    edited March 2012
    Options

Indigo - I am about the most squeamish person I know...can't look at blood, pus, snot, and other unsavory body fluids without gagging.  I have no problems emptying my drains. It's not disgusting at all.  I mostly hate them because they're just a pain. I can't wear normal/snug fitting tops and my last one has been in so long that the skin is growing around it and I can't stand the pulling/tugging feeling.

As for tying them up, the hospital gave me long strips of this terrycloth-like material.  I tied that around my waist and then safety pinned the drains to that.  I never really liked anything around my neck cause it would bounce/rub against my chest and bother me a bit.  You can always just safety pin them to the inside of your shirt too.  Good luck!

• Cats134
    Cats134 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2012
    Options

I sympathize with all of you!  I had my PBMX on 12/19, had 4 drains, one stayed in 4 weeks. No showering while the drains were in.  Dealing with the drains was awful and once they all came out, wow... that first shower was a gift from heaven.  And the next shower was even better!  <grins>

So hang in there...think of those little bottles as your baby kangaroos.  I would pin them to an oversized t-shirt, and then tuck the shirt into my panties/pants, forming a little pouch.

(Funny story about my last drain...I was down to 2.5cc a day and called my BS office on a Thursday.  They told me he couldn't fit me in until Tuesday!  I threatened to pull it out myself.  They told me to come down ASAP.  His office is about a 45 minute trip, it was a warm rainy day.  Here I am, wearing a sweat suit, no shower, no deordorant, driving like a crazy person down the highway to get to the office in time.  I had on a rubberized raincoat on.  When I got to his office and took off my raincoat and sweatshirt, all I can say is peeee-uuuuu!  I was trying to wipe my underarms with the gown when my BS walked into the room.  I said "I need a shower".. and he looked at me and laughed and said "yeah...you do!"  But... I danced out of his office...stinky... but drain free! 

• fitzdc
    fitzdc Member Posts: 755
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi 30yomama --- I understand.  I had 3 drains total, however the last one for 7 weeks.  Yes, seven weeks!  I too grew frustrated that others seemed to have out in weeks or even days.  But we are all so different and our bodies react differently.  You will get through this. I know it is not easy but you can do it!

• mmswarowski
    mmswarowski Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Options

Ladies, as an update at my appointment today the drain on my right side was removed....I totally feel like a new woman! Now just to get rid of the one on the left...lets all just send thoughts out to the universe for next Tuesday....I so don't want to go back to work with the darn drain! LOL

Maryellen

• Twinmom77
    edited March 2012
    Options

Yay!!!! Congrats Maryellen! I have good news too - my last drain was removed yesterday!  It's so nice not to worry about finding something to wear...no more hiding under giant sweatshirts!

I'm sending those positive thoughts out for you now! Thanks for the update :)

• beth1965
    beth1965 Member Posts: 203
    edited March 2012
    Options

One month and 13 days for my drain and still counting. I started with 3 drains got out two because i got pneumonia they left one. I developed a fluid build up within days of taking out the two and had to get drained by needle and i got infection and have needed IV antibiotics for 7 days now. So it is not worth it to take out too soon. I am most annoyed at not being allowed to shower all this time. I have become very good at spongebaths but they are not the same as a shower.

Good luck to you AmyK i hope yours come out soon but like i said do not not rush it you do not want that fluid roaming around your chest cavity. The portable IV i had at home for infection was a much bigger annoyance than the drains by far.

My doctor says the drain or drains slow down when your body is ready on its own there is no rushing it. My last drain has to be bellow 20 for 3 days before i get it out.

• Twinmom77
    edited March 2012
    Options

beth1965 - my goodness, you've had lots of extra excitement. I can imagine you're quite ready to be through with it all...the abx, the drains, etc.  I had an infection too and now I'm having a reaction to the abx I've been on for 3 weeks and can barely move my head. I am very ready to just have an uneventful week for once! But you're right, as discouraging as those drains are, there's no use rushing them.  Hoping you get rid of your soon though!

• beth1965
    beth1965 Member Posts: 203
    edited March 2012
    Options

I did not realize this was such an old post.

twinmom-it definately sounds like things have not gone smoothly for you either. The last thing you need right now is to be having a reation to something i hope you will be okay be careful as your body has been through alot. And YES i would so love an uneventful week too. I might be getting last drain out next week so hopefully thats the only event i experience. As i said please be careful with yourself.

• IndigoMont11
    edited March 2012
    Options

Omg - LMAO!!!  Cats, I loooved your story although my heart breaks for you a little!  When I first had to go in for the diagnostic mammo and ultrasound, my appt was first thing in the morning and I was fresh out of the shower, but I was terrified and since they tell you not to wear deodorant, every time I had to raise my arms for them to do something and I could smell myself, I just about died!  I kept apologizing to the techs for my "b.o.", and they just laughed and said they've smelled worse.  I always took deodorant with me so I could put it on as soon as they were done.  I just hope... because I tend to swell a lot with sprains and stuff, that doesn't mean I'll make a whole bunch of fluid....

• IndigoMont11
    edited March 2012
    Options

Twinmom, thanks for the advice.  I found a lanyard thingy that can be worn in ther shower, but if it's not comfortable enough I'll get the nurses to give me some gauze.  I had to go without real showers for a couple of weeks after my bunion surgery on 12/30/2011, and while I took a sponge bath every day and managed to wash my hair, there just isn't anything like a real shower!  I have a pretty good feeling, though, that shampooing won't be doable for awhile since I'm having a BMX, so I am strategizing how to deal with that for now.  Or at least to avoid blow drying but preserve my vanity.  (I live with 3 "man's men" guys, and I don't see them styling my hair!).

• iswimibikeirun
    iswimibikeirun Member Posts: 469
    edited March 2012
    Options

Wow!  It's amazing to see the variations in keeping drains in.  My BMX with immediate DIEP is scheduled for Monday.  I was told that I will get my first 2 out the following Tuesday (8 days out) and the hip drains out on the following Friday (11 days out).  And, that I am supposed to shower by Friday (4 days out) while in the hosptial.

• Twinmom77
    edited March 2012
    Options

I'm surprised at the number of people who aren't allowed to shower!  I was never given any shower restrictions, I guess because they used something fairly new on my drain openings called Biopatch. It was a little disc with anti-microbial meds in it that covered the drain hole and fit around the tubing. Then they would put really tight clear tape over that and it kept me dry in the shower. Had I not been able to shower for 6 weeks I would have been a smelly raging b**ch!

Indigo - you might be surprised - I was able to wash my hair with one hand after about 5 days and with two hands after a week. Blowdrying took a few more days.  But it felt soooooo good, blissful even, to be able to get both hands above my head and into my hair.  I was giddy!

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited March 2012
    Options

Wow so many drains, I remember my 2 drains,not fun. I had a bmx with TE on 2/13,I got a drain off the end of each TE and a pain pump around my neck which wired into my stomach and my IV and the nurse expected me to get into bed and go to the bathroom by myself. Gosh dont bother the nurse! I did not complain until the hospital called and asked me how my stay was. I loved the student nurses someone to actually help. i went home and was very careful with my drains and pain pump. The pain pump ran out of medicine it pumped into my stomach automatically so the home visit nurse took it out and then I got Ty with Codeine. One drain fell out and the PS took the other one out 2 wks after surg. You got to be careful, I washed my hands and then put on rubber gloves and washed those and then I used wet ones and peroxide on my hands and gloves. Afraid of infection. I slept in a recliner covered with a washable blanket and I am still sleeping there cause my TE hurt.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited March 2012
    Options

Ask your PS about walking. I walked every day about a block or 2,forgot to mention it at first but moving around I think helps it all drain faster and I pinned my drains to the bottom of my pants legs even tho everyone said gravity didnt matter and be sure to roll them up and make sure they are caved in after you empty them cause they gotta have suction to work. Thats all I can remember,anyone else have some fond memories?

• kltb04
    kltb04 Member Posts: 234
    edited March 2012
    Options

I haven't had my BMX but I have one drain for the re excision that my BS had to do for my infection from my SNB. I had surgery Wednesday and hope it comes out Monday. What a pain! I am terrified of infection so I am being super careful. I received next to no post op instruction on how to care for the drain site so my mom has just been replacing the gauze once a day and dabbing a little antibiotic stuff on it. She washed her hands about 98 times during this process and wears gloves. Does this sound ok?? I am on oral antibiotics as well. As far as the drainage itself it is only about 15 cc a day. So surely by Monday it will be ok and they can take it out and I can start chemo. Fingers crossed. I now know one of the things I will abhor after I do have surgery in a few months. Stupid drains. Someone told me there are Camis you can get with built in pockets. Right now mine is pinned to a sports bra with a tank top over it. Another question. Where is the little bubble supposed to be as far as related to the drain site? The post op nurse pinned mine to my bra near the strap area so I have used that location.

I am not risking showering but luckily am not going anywhere and can just have dirty hair a few days. I did sit in a couple inches of water today just to freshen up but it was literally just enough to cover the ahem essentials. lol. The rest of the time I am just sponging off with a washcloth.

PS hi Indigo!

• Mopsy
    Mopsy Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Options

I had UMX w/o reconstr 2/29.  Both drains removed after 1 week, there was almost no fluid in them.  Then 1 week later 60cc syringed out by BS.  Now 4 days later I am sure I have 70 cc built up, and 3 days still to go before next BS appt!  Hope drains are not reinstalled, but don't understand why all this fluid is building up now.

• kltb04
    kltb04 Member Posts: 234
    edited March 2012
    Options

Mopsy, I really can't help since I haven't actually had my BMX yet but I would think that you should call and ask tomorrow when your BS office opens to see if they can see you sooner...

• Twinmom77
    edited March 2012
    Options

Well, lucky me...got cellulitis in the left breast last weekend and ended up going into surgery and had two drains placed again.  I was drainless for less than a week! lol. It's better than having cellulitis again though.

• kellymama
    kellymama Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Options

After my UMX, I had the drain in for 8 days. A few weeks later, I had to have an axillary dissection. The drain stayed in for over 3 weeks! Last Friday, I developed chills and a fever. With no other symptoms, my surgeon decided the most likely source of infection was the drain itself. My husband (an MD) pulled it out for me, and I was started on antibiotics. Feeling much better this week!

• icefishinglady
    icefishinglady Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2012
    Options

I had BMX surgery on March 16th. Fortunately, only two drains. I saw the PS yesterday; my output has been getting lower but is still not where he wants it (40). It's okay; I'd rather deal with this than seromas. He thinks by next week they should be able to come out. It will be a happy day :-). I've had some bad reactions to the adhesive in the tape - rash, horrid itching, blisters. Yesterday they put some ??Tagaderm?? on instead and it seems to be helping. Forward!

• icefishinglady
    icefishinglady Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thrilled to say that mine came out today, exactly two weeks post-op. Hooray!

• iswimibikeirun
    iswimibikeirun Member Posts: 469
    edited March 2012
    Options

I was supposed to get my chest drains out on day 8, but didn't get to.  One fell out any way (I think I tugged so it wasn't positioned where it could catch the fluid) on the 8th night.  I got my other 3 out today!!!!  Day 11 post.

Of course, the breasts are still a little swollen and they gushed when they snipped a suture on each side.  I'm to milk them a bit longer, but having no drains is fab!  I can live with the maxi pads taped to my chest (I hate the wet feeling of gauze). 

• IndigoMont11
    edited March 2012
    Options

Had my BMX on 3/21, and had 2 drains on the left (cancer) side and one on the right side.  They took one drain out on 3/27 and the other two today (3/30).  This was sooner than I'd even hoped for! All drains were putting out less than 20 ccs (today, less than 10 ccs) each by today.  They assured me that I shouldn't worry about fluid building up - that it can easily be drained with a needle.  I'm not wild about that idea - but it is so fabulous to have the drains out!

• Twinmom77
    edited March 2012
    Options

Congrats to you all who have been relieved of the drains recently!! I'm at over 8 weeks now with drains (minus the measly 4 days I had none). Saw my PS last week and I'm below 20cc on both sides, but he wanted to keep them in an extra week just to be sure since I've had so many problems, but he's 99% sure they can come out Tuesday. Here's hoping!

• Fierro6
    Fierro6 Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2012
    Options

I am new enough to all of this that it scares me to see such varying instructions.  I've been allowed to shower from the first day home from the hospital.  I am using antibacterial soap, but no precautions or warnings have been issued, so now I'm worried about that!

I got one drain out yesterday, since it was doing next to nothing (<10cc per day) and the other is still >100cc per day, so I feel I'll have it forever.  I know it's only been 2 weeks since my mastectomy, but I hate this damn drain with every fiber of my being.  I understand that it's better than the alternative, but I've just had one of those days where I cry at the drop of a hat.  

Seriously, now I'm scared to shower.  LOL  At least I see my oncolgist tomorrow and can ask. (Although all of the various doctors/surgeons seem to have different ideas of what's right.)  Grrrr.

• dmlenn1
    dmlenn1 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2012
    Options

I had one in for a litte over a month. Do that exercise where you pump your arm up and down, then open and close your hand about 10 times. It helps move the fluid. And Strip that line as much as you can. There could be a hidden clot. Also... the pain... you know, where the stitches are? I used lidocaine/prilocaine (emula cream that is for my port) around the stitch so I could get to sleep. It dulled the area for long enough that I could lay still. If you want to shower, get a few tegaderm patches from your local independant pharmacy (usually about a dollar per each) and cover the entrance while you shower. Eyeglasses cords ( those things that go around your neck to hold your eyeglasses) are great to pin your drains to while you shower. If you have to keep the drains in longer, try tying a scarf around your body to keep the drain from moving too much so it won't pull on the stitch.Men's a-line t-shirts are great to wear to pin the drains to (keeps the plastic off your skin, the fabric is soft and tight fitting and pinning it to the collar keeps the drain out of your way)

• longislandmom
    longislandmom Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2012
    Options

I am on day 9 after BMX. Still putting out @ 40 in each drain :(