Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

after mastectomy - how long were your drains in?

Options
13»

Comments

• CityFi
    CityFi Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2012
    Options

I had a UMX one week ago today, went home with one drain on Friday, and it was removed this Monday - 5 days. I was told immediately that the drain would be gone soon. I'm wondering to what extent the low turnaround had to do with the fact that I only had a UMX and am small-busted. 

Also I was advised that after emptying the drain, I should squeeze it - more ilke pinch it with my fingers - before closing it again. This creates suction and helps the draining along. Maybe this will help those of you speed up the process so it you can get rid of the darn things.  My visiting nurse commended me when she saw my drain was pinched as instructed, saying that people always forget to do that.  

I was told not to shower but not because of the drains. Apparently, they don't want my stitches to get wet.  I was told that once the drain site was dry for 24-hours (e.g. no discharge on the gauze), i could shower but even then only my back!  

• Shachar
    Shachar Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2012
    Options

I really appreciate this thread and those of you who are sharing on it.  I will most likely be having BMX soon and this is great to help know what to expect.

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi CityFi - unfortunately your theory did not quite work for me. I had a UMX and I am also small busted but I had my lovely drain for nearly five weeks and it drained about one and a half litres in total. Guess I was just lucky ;)

• CityFi
    CityFi Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2012
    Options

Aw, Hils, I'm so glad you're past all that now! Did they give you an idea of how long you would have the drains in advanced? I was told from the start it was coming out a few days later so my surgeons obviously saw some indicators and based their predictions on something. 

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi CityFi - nope they just said it would come out once it drained less than 20mls for two consecutive days, and it just took forever to get down to that level. But on the positive side when the drain was taken out I had no build ups of fluid and everything was good. It was just an annoyance to have the drain for so long ;)

• bam123
    bam123 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi, I'm new here and so glad I stumbled onto this forum.  Just looking for some clarification:  I had BMX with TE 3 weeks ago.  Went home with 4 drains, two of which were removed after one week.  I was told the remaining two can be removed once fluid output is 30 ml or less. I have to clear the drains and measure output 3 times a day. My question regarding the 30 ml or less output.  Does that mean the total for the day (morning, afternoon, night) needs to be 30 ml or less?  Or are they looking for each output measurement (morning, afternoon, night) to be 30 ml or less?

I have another appointment tomorrow to determine if the remaining drains can come out.  I am so sick of these drains and can't wait until they are a thing of the past!

Thanks!

• clmtootie
    clmtootie Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hi bam123, they mean total output for the day needs to 30 ml or less for two consecutive 24 hours periods.  At least that was my PS guidelines for drain removal.  Sorry you still have some in at 3 weeks post-op.  I had two out at day 8 and the other two at day 10.  Although they were all ready at day 8, my PS wouldn't pull all 4 at once. 

Hopefully you will get them out soon!

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited November 2014
    Options

I had a UMX so 2 drains.   One was removed 2 weeks with no problem.  The other was still draining quite a bit over ideal at 4 weeks.  Surgeon thought it might be 'irratating' the area so removed it at 4 weeks.   A large seroma developed and even afte.  Months it was still showing on a CT scan as being 6cm.  Dealing with drain is a 'bother' but I would rather have had the 'bother' a bit longer than dealing with the seroma.

• toni67
    toni67 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2014
    Options

There was a miss communication between my PS and I. He said once it goes down to 25cc he would remove the drain. So finally last week on 11/26, he asked how much it was draining and I said 25cc and with that answer he removed them.

Yesterday I saw him 7 days post drain removal and I developed a seroma.

Today I had 145cc drained from the area. We were going over the conversation we had on the 26th and I said 25cc every time I emptied the drain every four hours and he said it had to be 25cc in a 24hr period, hence the mis-com. I have to go back of Friday afternoon to be aspirated again. If fluid buildup continues and depending on the amount, I may have to get a drain put in.

• Luckydog42
    Luckydog42 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2014
    Options

I had a UMX with two drains. First drain never had a lot of output and came out 6 days later. Second came out 2 1/2 weeks later.

My PS said I could shower with drains but I had to use Hibiclens liquid soap. I was scared of my drains so I showered every other day. After the shower, my husband put aquafor around the drains and bandaged it back up.

My PS said I had to have output of 24cc or less in 24 hours before he would remove it.

• Geo
    Geo Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    Options

I had the diep flap nd 4 drains. The last day at the hospital they remove 2 from the breasts and one week later the other 2. I didn't have pain, but feeling the drains moving inside me ... Made me nervous.

• hopefulmomof3
    hopefulmomof3 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had a bmx on 12/22/14. I have 2 drains. One drain is putting out about 50 ccs from the right breast (cancer side) ever since.  The drain on left side seemed to be draining fine the first 2-3 days after surgery. But since then,  the amount has decreased to 5-10ccs. I saw my PS for my 1 week post op and he ended up having to aspirate the fluid from my left breast.  He said that the drain wasn't working correctly. He added some saline to the expander in hopes that the added pressure would help the drain perform better. Its been about 5 days and the left drain isn't working any better. My left breast is accumulating fluid. I see him again on Tuesday. He said he will be taking the drains out. So this means that he will have to aspirate the extra fluid from now on. Did anyone have this situation?  How long did you have to go in to get fluid aspirated? Is there any concerns that I should have about this? Can anyone advise me on this?  Much appreciated

• Lmcqueen
    Lmcqueen Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had a BMX and had 4 drains. Two came out two weeks after surgery. Tomorrow will be six weeks that I have had these drains. Today I started running a fever and have swelling in the left breast. PS said if fever continues to go up to go to the ER. BS said call the office in the a.m. To be seen. Wondering if this is flu or infection? Anyone else had this happen

• pamfightson
    pamfightson Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had a UMX on 12/2/2014 with full axillary dissection and no reconstruction. My drain was ready to come out on the 6th but it was a weekend so I had to wait until the 8th. I was able to shower at 24 hours just had to hang my drain on a lanyard so it wouldn't pull.

I stopped outputting into the drain but have been dealing with major swelling above and below the incision. It's a hard lump that is slowly going away but it's uncomfortable.

• mollyboo
    mollyboo Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2015
    Options

I want to add to this feed as a nurse and a cancer survivor who was a plastic surgery disaster because my drains were left in way too long..... my PS should have been sued... sadly we had a medical link to him and worked with him in the community. My right drains were left in for 9 1/2 weeks following a BLM. I was only draining 27-30 cc daily. Most PSs will tell you that all drains should come out after 3 weeks because after this time you begin to risk MRSA.... I had the argument more than once with my PS that I would choose a seroma that could be drained in a sterile manner over MRSA, but no.... arrogance wins. I found myself with MRSA on IV antibiotics with my chemo stopped, and then, my implant surgically removed... and sick.... very sick.... I was left with a scarred mess and ended up having a modified Tram flap and then implants. My reason for posting this is to educate women and to hopefully empower them to stand up to their physicians when things don't feel right... During this time I was also fired from my job.... for not meeting my "return to work date". On a final note, I ended up in the hands of an amazing PS, who worked magic for me... and I will forever be grateful!

• theantz
    theantz Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2017
    Options

Time to revive the thread !

Git operated on one side, with axillary node clearance. Drain was initially about 260ml/24 hours, which has now dropped to 60ml/24 hrs. Doc has asked me to wait till it drops to 30ml...

Question is, do you have any tips and tricks to get rid of it? Shoulder is almost jammed and frozen, and doing exercise with it slowly...will this help or would excrete more? Also have pain to touch the triceps area...what ia that for? Any specific diet to increase the healing ?

• lrwells50
    lrwells50 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2017
    Options

My remaining two drains were still pumping out tons of fluid at 3 weeks. The only thing I can think of that might have stressed it was taking wet clothes from the washer and putting them in the dryer, but I think I would have had the fluid regardless. I had no problems with moving my arms (which in retrospect, may have increased the fluid) but my drains were taken out at three weeks regardless, because my PS won't leave them in longer because of fears of infection. I can only say THANK GOD! One had started to leak, and I really couldn't safely go anywhere. I did have to be aspirated once a week, but since I was still numb, it was a lot harder on the NP than it was on me. I'm guessing if I hadn't had a skin sparing mastectomy and TEs, I would have had less fluid. Nature must not love a vacuum, and filled the space caused by the loose skin with fluid

• Grateful615
    Grateful615 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Options

Try taking Bromelain (can order from Amazon which is an enzyme found in fresh pineapple that aids in healing and also wrap an ace bandage around to provide light compression. These both helped speed up my healing and reducing the drainage output.

• Foobmama
    Foobmama Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    Options

My first ones in 2004 were in for five weeks and I had three, two were on the side the lymph nodes were removed from. I just went through lumpectomy, with implant removal and expander insertion both sides, and my drain on the right was out at three weeks but only because it was trying to come out on it’s own. The naughty drain is the one on the side less was done to, believe it or not, and it is still in after 3.5 weeks and counting, but I think it’s coming out soon. I was told it had to drain under 30 mL but I can’t remember for how many days. If someone has that information that would be great.

• LisaK12
    LisaK12 Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2018
    Options

I had four drains -- two came out six days after surgery, and the last two came out after another week (13 days after surgery). They came out when they were only producing 20-25 ml or less per day each. Getting them out is wonderful because I can finally sleep on my side again.

• amccms2
    amccms2 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Options

The doctor is still getting 90-100 cc from breast (cancer side) 6 weeks after surgery. Is this cause for concern?

Ann Margaret

Stage 1, Grade 2, Invasive Mammary Carcinoma, 0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2 1 (negative)

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited October 2018
    Options

I think 3 weeks. Maybe 4.

• mollyboo
    mollyboo Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2018
    Options

I am truly amazed at how long some of the women posting have had their drains in! I had one left in 9 1/2 weeks, even though my drainage was minimal, & with all clinical indicators that it should come out. My PS, with his infinite stupidity, insisted I could get a seroma. My answer to that was a seroma can be aspirated with sterile technique, but MRSA can kill you! No drain should be left in longer than 2-3 weeks or you risk infection. I did develop MRSA, became very ill, & ended up on home IV therapy & my tissue expander needing to be removed. My husband worked with the PS in the OR, so it was a very awkward situation. As a result of his arrogance & stupidity, I needed two additional surgeries & have significant damage to my pectorals. Ladies, if you are draining less than 30-35 cc at 2-3 weeks, those drains need to come out! I wish we had been more assertive.

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224
    edited December 2018
    Options

I had mine for almost five weeks because I was still producing a lot of drainage after four weeks. My PS took them out because of risk on infection and everything was just fine. No infection.

• Wigging2000
    Wigging2000 Member Posts: 56
    edited December 2018
    Options

I just got mine out today at 3 weeks post op, but I had an extra surgery in there so technically my second set were in there 2 weeks. I was not sad to see them go!

• MDRR
    MDRR Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2018
    Options

Mine were in just short of 3 weeks. After another month, during which I developed a seroma on one side, my BS had to put one back in for another 10 days. The seroma was drained 4 times before she put the drain back in. I was allowed to shower from day 1 but had to let the drains hang from a lanyard around my neck and, of course, take care when cleaning the area around them.