Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Halaven - Day 1

Options

Comments

• MJLToday
    MJLToday Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2010
    Options

Jenn, you can always go back to the Ickyzempra, if Eribulin fails you.  I think I would try for the Eribulin / Halaven next.

• PJB
    PJB Member Posts: 150
    edited December 2010
    Options

Well, treatment 2 was as fast as treatment 1. No crowd gathering this time... :)

All in all, I'd rather not have cancer.

Still SEs mostly seem to be a bit of tiredness, a bit of nausea every couple days. Luckily, I have my own pharmacy on hand to take care of that. Neuropathy doesn't seem to be any worse than it was with Ixempra so far. 

My liver function numbers were high, as looks to be normal with this, after being flat-out normal after second Ixempra. Blood counts were low, but not too low. Tumor markers up a few points, but nothing too scary yet.

I now don't have to go back for two weeks. I'm happy about that!

Anyone else joining me? Vkac, how's your wife doing?

Paula 

• chainsawz
    chainsawz Member Posts: 113
    edited December 2010
    Options

Paula - I'm glad this combo seems to be tolerable for you....I am on the edge of my seat reading your posts and hoping for a great result!!

• cancerkicker
    cancerkicker Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Options

I get to start this new drug on Monday - first at my center too.  I am happy to read that it sounds tolerable.............now let's just pray that it WORKS.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited December 2010
    Options

Goodluck cancerkiller prayers are with you and I hope it works and you tolerate it well!

• justpayton1
    justpayton1 Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2010
    Options

Cheering you on from Indiana...

• PJB
    edited December 2010
    Options

Cancerkicker, I hope it treats you well and it works well for all of us. I don't have to go back til Jan. 4. Tumor markers had edged up just a few points before my second treatment, so I'll be anxious to see what they are after two weeks of break. 

I've had some slight nausea a few evenings that are SEs, I guess. I'm not overwhelmed with energy, but that might also be because I'm not exercising enough. That is my next goal, and it's one I think I can do better with this drug.

Crossing fingers it's killing those little buggers for all of us.

Let me know how your treatment goes. I'll be intersted to see if they approach it any differently when they give it to you.

Paula 

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Member Posts: 678
    edited December 2010
    Options

Im glad that things are going well.  The tiredness - well you solved that with cat naps.  Your body is coping with effects of this drug well.  I hope that it continues in this vein (oh no, no pun intended) throughout your treatment - is there a limit or is it ongoing?

• dianaleo
    dianaleo Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2010
    Options

This is such an interesting post, PJB.  I hope it is the magic bullet for you (and the rest of us for that matter.)  I think perhaps your statement "all in all, I'd rather not have cancer" could possibly be the #1 understatement of the year!  All my best wishes for you on this new journey!

• ElaineM
    ElaineM Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2010
    Options

Congratulations on being a Halavan trail blazzer !!

If the drug company didn't treat you special your oncologist's office should !!

I know of another woman who is taking it for skin mets and having alot of successful with it. I hope it ends up being a useful drug for you.

A peaceful, healthy and joyful 2011 and beyond to you !!  Enjoy the holidays.

• BaseballFan
    BaseballFan Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2010
    Options

So happy to hear about this new treatment.  Each new treatment is such a godsend to all of us.  I'm anxious to hear from each one of you who is receiving Halavan.  Best of luck!!!

• PJB
    edited December 2010
    Options

Elaine, glad to hear about your friend having great luck with it! I'm curious when my doc will do scans, after how many.... Go for No. 3 on Jan. 4. He usually will do scans after four rounds, so maybe sometime in February or early March. Hoping, hoping, hoping..... 

Here's the shame. I got this snazzy new laptop for Christmas and I don't even really have enough time to get online down there before my treatment is over. OK, that's not REALLY a shame. 

BaseballFan, aren't you doing the vaccine trial? I'm keeping up with that. I'm hoping we'll all get lots of chances with new drugs and treatments.

Paula 

• BaseballFan
    edited December 2010
    Options

PJB - Yes you are right.  I'm hoping to start the bc vaccine trial in early March.  Onc wants me to finish the Xeloda round I'm on and complete another round.  With the 28 of no chemo...that puts me to March.  I'm really anxious to get started and I'm rooting for the other women who are starting in January.  Hopefully, this is the "magic bullet" for all of us and it will quickly move to Phase III "at a clinic near you".  But I'm always interested in the new treatments and hopeful each one brings us closer to

• BaseballFan
    edited December 2010
    Options

PJB - Yes you are right.  I'm hoping to start the bc vaccine trial in early March.  Onc wants me to finish the Xeloda round I'm on and complete another round.  With the 28 of no chemo...that puts me to March.  I'm really anxious to get started and I'm rooting for the other women who are starting in January.  Hopefully, this is the "magic bullet" for all of us and it will quickly move to Phase III "at a clinic near you".  But I'm always interested in the new treatments and hopeful each one brings us closer to a real cure.

• PJB
    edited December 2010
    Options

I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm thinking that after initially losing a couple of my post-Ixempra sprouts, my hair might be coming back! Or it's wishful thinking. 

Paula 

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2010
    Options

This is starting to sound like the chemo for you!  It's very exciting.  Awww, even if you don't have hair I bet you're still cute as a button.  I've always liked your avatar -- you look like someone who's lots of fun to be around.  Enjoy your non-chemo week!  AND, I loved the photo of your cat!!!

Elizabeth

• janetwit
    janetwit Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2011
    Options

I just had my 1st round of halavan on the 28th.  2nd round scheduled for 5th then 3 weeks later.  I'm also on XGeva since they just found some spots on my spine. 

• PJB
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi, Jane,

How is the XGeva? I'm wondering if they'll switch me from Zometa, as well.

Hope the Halaven does great things for you!

Paula 

• janetwit
    janetwit Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2011
    Options

He was going to put me on Zometa and I asked about the xgeva since he had mentioned it along with the halaven.  No real side effects that I can tell.  My energy is not what I think it should be, but I'm doing pretty good.  Has your dr. said when they will do scans again?

• PJB
    edited January 2011
    Options

I don't think he'll scan til I've had four rounds, unless bloodwork does something hinky. I'll find out Tuesday. 

Here's to a great new year! 

• PJB
    edited January 2011
    Options

bump for any new Halaven ladies who might join in

• Leanneh
    Leanneh Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2011
    Options

Halaven for me too!! Thought I'd join in and compare adventures. Had 2 treatments so far. This week will be my "off" week. So far, not too bad as far as side effects. Feel like sleeping all the time and really achey in my bones. Here's to a great New Year and hope to kick cancer butt!!

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited January 2011
    Options

i must wish you good wishes to earn your thanks.

glad to hear you are doing well.

• PJB
    edited January 2011
    Options

Leanne, are you taking something for the bone aches? I take a Norco every morning. Can't take them at night. 

Paula 

• Leanneh
    Leanneh Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi Paula, My onc prescribed percocet for all my pain. Somedays it doesn't seem to help though. I really wish we had a cure....

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited January 2011
    Options

I gotta tell you guys, this is amazing!  What I am seeing is not only the Halaven but other new treatments, the vaccine, the new combo's that are being tried as with dreamwriter - all sorts of trials and new things in the pipeline prepping for potential trials.  This is a very exciting time, it seems, in breast cancer research as many things are coming to light - for a flop, there are more successess, for a recall, there are new options - it just seems like some fire was lit under some major a$$ and it seems like the FDA is almost responding to the outcries of 'let us have a shot at it'! 

Ok, so I am optimistic and a rah-rah but it sure does seems like some big things are happening and I, too, am sitting on the edge of my seat watching Paula, baseballfan, dreamwriter and many others - its like hope is no longer seeming like a miracle but a possibility! 

Woo Hoo to all the Space Cadets! 

• PJB
    edited January 2011
    Options

Leanne, yes, let's go for a cure! Then all these pesky pain issues and hair issues and everything would be a thing of the past. Wouldn't that be grand?

Paula 

• cancerkicker
    cancerkicker Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    Options

Treatment #2 for me.................i did get anti nausea meds before Halaven this time.  Still having fleeting nausea from time to time.  The fatigue is killing me.................I get treatments on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday are both completely worthless.  Anyone else feel the same way???

Still have hair..........nurse thought it might start to come out this week or next. 

What are the liver numbers to watch?  I am a new liver metster. 

• PJB
    edited January 2011
    Options

I do get occasional nausea, too. Compazine usually fixes it right up for me. I'm sorry to hear about the fatigue. I had that with my last chemo and it was unlivable. I was on the couch for weeks after each treatment. Could they try giving you some Ritalin or something to deal with those days? Or perhaps your body just needs the rest 

As for hair, I swear mine is growing back (lost it on Ixempra, last chemo). I don't think hair loss is a foregone conclusion on this one.

My liver enzyme numbers (after two treatments, had no. 3 yesterday) were mixed. One was high (and has been there before). One was normal (after being high last time). Good news is that tumor markers were down nearly 100 points. Onc also said he could no longer feel my liver during physical exam, so it's gotten smaller. 

Cancerkicker, I hope the fatigue lifts for you. I know that's hard.

Best,

Paula 

• Annie4
    Annie4 Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2011
    Options

Hi there ladies,

I'm going to be joining the Halaven club on Friday for my first treatment.  I'll let you know what I'm feeling too.  Scared about how fatigued you're feeling!  Have two girls ages 11 and 13 and involved in lots of after school activities.  Yikes.

Annie