Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Odd question: Did your gut tell you?

Options
124»

Comments

• VirtualMel
    VirtualMel Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

Good question. I was SURE my microcalcification cluster was going to come back bad. All the way to deciding that I wanted a bilateral Mx and Diep reconstruction. I was looking at plastic surgeons and their references. I almost took a Valium before I went for results, I was so sure.

My results we B9! I just like to prepare for the worst (and hope for the best). That's just me and how I coped.

• elara
    elara Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Options

Its weird because my husband to be found my lump,and @1st I thought he obviously must be wrong. When I realized it was a lump I knew I had cancer. Even though the MDs said I'm too young, its possible but extremely unlikely ... I wanted to believe them but I still knew. Now I am really scared because we are still trying to find out how far my CA has spread. I'm afraid I know the answer. I don't believe I will die but .... still this sucks and I'm afraid.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2013
    Options

I had been following multiple cysts and dense fibrous breasts for 30 years. My grandmother had bilateral radical mastectomy with " cobalt" in the 60's if u can imagine what that was like! In my case I felt like the monster was out from under the bed. I knew in my mind I had cancer this last time when I got the recall notice. Interestingly enough, previous biopsy was on the other side.

• maltomlin
    maltomlin Member Posts: 48
    edited January 2013
    Options

I'd been to a birthday party, and when I got home I was lying on the sofa. Had a stabbing feeling, put my hand there and felt a lump!

It was a Friday night of a bank holiday week-end, so the doctors were shut until Tuesday. I knew straightaway. I'd read somewhere that a BC lump felt like 'a piece of carrot stuck to your breast - hard'. That was exactly how it felt.

I went to the 'one stop clinic' next week and was dx. It was no surprise.

The only surprise was how the lump had grown to the size of an egg without me noticing. I checked myself regularly, but my father had been terminally ill for a few months before and had died very recently. I'm sure the stress of that hadn't helped.

But here I am nearly 5 years out and we've travelled extensively, off to New York and then a Caribbean cruise next month. It certainly changes your outlook and priorities!

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527
    edited January 2013
    Options

As soon as I got called back for a recall mammo I started fearing the worst. I had some crying jags, though technically the chance of a recall mammo being cancer are pretty small.

I actually put it off a few weeks because I had a few events planned and wanted to enjoy them. It was like there were two channels in my brain, the I have cancer channel, and the it's probably ok channel. (First mammographer did seem really incompetent.)

I guess part of me was hopeful because I was networking and looking for a new job the weekend before.

I pulled out my film at the follow up and my husband said you have no idea what that is, and I said A. it's a breast, B. it looks bad.

Still part of me was surprised it was invasive stage 2 cancer, I was also suprised they were so confident before the biopsy. That shocked me, you can tell I have cancer now?

• cookiegal
    edited January 2013
    Options

April for what it is worth I had b-9 calcs on the other breast.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited February 2013
    Options

Unfortunately my gut was right. I have DCIS (at least that is what they know and they say they will know more after lumpectomy cause IDC can hide in DCIS I guess?) so my gut was correct. I knew it. I just knew that this was something to worry about when they put me on 6 month call back and then the radiologist said BIRADS 4 this time cause the microcalcs tripled from July. Ugh. HATE this disease. Have lost too many people in my family and friends to it (not all BC, none of that in my family but a few friends) and while I know I have the "best of the worst" diagnosis right now, I still can't wrap my mind around it.

Just really Scared!

• cookiegal
    edited February 2013
    Options

Sorry to hear that April.Frown

Hoping for no invasive.

There is a DCIS oncotype test to determine rads now. Maybe the lump can be the end of it.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2013
    Options

Oh definitely knew. I had never been called to come back and have a mammogram redone...ever. I have been called back while I was there but never called to come back after I left. What was odd was that day it just occurred to me I had not gotten the card in the mail saying everything was okay. Then I got the call from the nurse saying one breast was bigger than the other. I just knew. Still when I had the digital mammogram the tech said everything looked good and I would be going home only to have the radiologist come in and say I wasnt going to like what she was going to tell me...can you imagine? I was in total shock only because the tech was giving me the green light. Then the radiologist started spouting off all these percentages...I am like seriously do you think for a sec I am digesting any of this? Then she calls after the biopsy and says how are you and by the way you have breast cancer. Smooth. She was definitely a charm school dropout. I never felt anything but looking back on the time before I was dx I had lost weight...always trying although I am small and couldnt seem to concentrate. Someone told me they couldnt focus on anything either. I didnt cry or fall apart until I got my Oncotype score which was 11. That test saved me from chemo and the report said I have a non aggressive tumor which is smaller than first thought. Blessed. People have the misconception that BC always hurts...mine did not. Diane

• michellej1980
    michellej1980 Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2013
    Options

I never felt a lump but it was seen on a routine MRI. Despite being high-risk, I really thought (or just hoped?) that it woud be okay and that it woud just be a wake-up call to be  more proactive in reducing my risk and reconsider prophylactic BMX and/or tamoxifen. I so wish I had reconsidered those options years earlier but hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing!