Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Coming off tamoxifen early to have a baby

1293031323335»

Comments

• caligirl76
    caligirl76 Member Posts: 5

@snowflower100 I’ve been there and it was a hard journey but SO worth it!I stopped tamoxifen, started trying and got pregnant right away but unfortunately miscarried. It took me almost a year to get pregnant again (from the time I stopped tamoxifen). I was off tamoxifen for a full 2 years for pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would suggest going to a fertility doctor to discuss your options. There are things you can do to help you conceive without doing full on IVF. For me, we did “timed intercourse” where they monitored me closely with ultrasounds and then told me when to have sex. My doctor specializes in oncofertility so I felt safe going the IVF route but she felt that it wouldn’t improve my outcome given my age at the time (40). Feel free to reach out with any questions!

• nem126
    nem126 Member Posts: 37

Hi SnowFlower,

I was there... I was 35 when I took the break. I didn't get pregnant, I think mostly bc of stress but who knows, so I went back on. I just finished up tamoxifen now. I'm going on 38. We are going to try again, but even though I'm older and I know there's a good chance of it not happening at my age, I feel less pressure now.

Luckily you are still very young... so even if you went back on it and completed 5 years and tried again, you'd still be young.

There's always the option of freezing eggs. You can talk to a fertility doctor about doing it without hormones too.

Wish you luck. I understand how isolating it is.

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about people's experiences about getting off Tamoxifen to do IVF. How far ahead before the IVF process did you get off Tamoxifen? My fertility doctor says about 3 weeks is enough, is this the same in your experience? It feels too short to me but I'm not a doctor so just looking to see if other women had similar experiences/advice from their doctors.

Snowflower, I'm sorry that you've had delays in conceiving. I have not heard about the 2-year tamoxifen break in terms of length of time you can be off it. I know that my oncologist wanted me to be on tamoxifen for at least 2 years before getting off to try to conceive.

• caligirl76
    caligirl76 Member Posts: 5

@domzie30218 it takes 2-3 months for the tamoxifen to “wash out” of your body. I started trying exactly 2 months after I stopped and got pregnant right away but miscarried. I’ve always thought I started trying too soon. Not sure why your doctor would say 3 weeks. I would ask your oncologist

• smiling_brenda
    smiling_brenda Member Posts: 24

I had a baby! Just wanted to share. I was on zoladex and arimidex for approx 2 years. Came off and (with some fertility help) was pregnant within 6 months. I had my second baby 6 weeks ago. I am breastfeeding but only from my non radiation side. My radiated side did not produce any milk. I plan to feed for 6 months or so then will have to go back on the meds (which I am not looking forward to!)