Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,256

mstori - I was over at Haley on Wed. seeing my old boss - I was thinking of you and wondering where you might be.  Pretty standard not to order Oncotype if Her2+ - I think most of us on this thread did not have one.

• MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

SpecialK- aww! Sorry I missed ya! I was at the breast clinic in blg 36. Right off the lab area and next to ER. I go back Oct 16 th to f/u with PS. I'll pm my number. Still have my drain in. Lol! Can't get it under 30 ml in two 24 hr periods. I'm going to hope to have a RN friend pull it this next week, here locally.

Thanks for the info. I thought it was standard to have Oncotype to help direct oncologist in treatment. But if not, I'm all for saving the VA money. Lol!

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Ms Tori....

No Oncotype DX for me either. My BS did Mammaprint which is very expensive but I'm in a trial.

• ashla

Ms Tori....

No Oncotype DX for me either. My BS did Mammaprint which is very expensive but I'm in a trial.

• ashla

Ms Tori....

• ashla

Ms Tori....

• ashla

Ms Tori....

• ashla

Ms Tori....

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    No oncotype for me either. Oncotype is mainly ordered for Hormone +, node negative, stage I or II as well as HER2- to see if chemo would be of benefit. Since Herceptin works more effectively with chemo doing an expensive oncotype test is wasteful.
  • moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Aw, shucks, Lago beat me to it! LOL.

I knew I was getting spoiled. My husband caught a bad cold and does not want to bring them home, so he's not coming home this weekend. It's going to be a real quiet weekend. I have to get some grocery shopping done, and will have to do it in between bouts of D. Wheeeeeee, are we having fun yet? LOL

• moonflwr912

I knew I was getting spoiled. My husband caught a bad cold and does not want to bring them home, so he's not coming home this weekend. It's going to be a real quiet weekend. I have to get some grocery shopping done, and will have to do it in between bouts of D. Wheeeeeee, are we having fun yet? LOL

• moonflwr912

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Jennifer404,

I had that same discussion with my onc lasat week at my 6 month post Herceptin checkup. He said he believes in five years there will be treatments that will cure stage IV folks. He is an optimist, but even I thought that was pretty gutsy to say. He also said he felt several other cancers will become treatable almost like a chronic disease. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

One of the things I consider a positive about breast cancer is the learning I have done. Even with chemo brain, I really enjoyed researching all the medical topics, treatments, etc. I still do.

An older lady in my oncs yoga class was stressing about getting her implants and the fact that my PS wouldn't authorize staying overnight (he did finally relent, big softie). I went through the details with her, told her not to worry. She then said, "What kind of doctor are you?" Ummm, not. Are you a nurse? Welll, no. Are you in the medical field? Ughhhh, not that I get paid for...lol.

Told her I just read a lot. She was stunned. Made me chuckle.

• fluffqueen01

Jennifer404,

I had that same discussion with my onc lasat week at my 6 month post Herceptin checkup. He said he believes in five years there will be treatments that will cure stage IV folks. He is an optimist, but even I thought that was pretty gutsy to say. He also said he felt several other cancers will become treatable almost like a chronic disease. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

One of the things I consider a positive about breast cancer is the learning I have done. Even with chemo brain, I really enjoyed researching all the medical topics, treatments, etc. I still do.

An older lady in my oncs yoga class was stressing about getting her implants and the fact that my PS wouldn't authorize staying overnight (he did finally relent, big softie). I went through the details with her, told her not to worry. She then said, "What kind of doctor are you?" Ummm, not. Are you a nurse? Welll, no. Are you in the medical field? Ughhhh, not that I get paid for...lol.

• fluffqueen01

Jennifer404,

• fluffqueen01

Jennifer404,

• fluffqueen01

oh, and fat grafting today went great. Foobs look good. We will see how they do after swelling goes down. Abs are sore, but tolerable. I really do feel like I am starting to look forward.

BTW...September 19 was National Gratitude Day, so I am saying I am grateful for this site and all of you. Happy Belated!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Hey fluff !  Happy belated back to you!  
  • moonflwr912

Fluff, so glad the fat grafting went well. Do they put you out for it?

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Could someone explain, in detail, the fat grafting procedure?  I am curious and need to determine if it is something I want to do or can live without.  I'm not big on down time.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Tonlee they take fat from a donor site usually the tummy but for those of us that don't have a tummy they can go to other places like your thighs. It's basically lipo suction but they don't take as much so not as painful. Anyway the take the fat and place it with a syringe in spots around your implants to soften the shape and slope. Not all of it takes but my PS says that the breast area takes the best. (My PS also does it in the face).

The donor sites are a bit sore and you will need to wear some kind of compression garment. I do remember getting out and walking pretty soon after but I had to take it a bit easier (no power walking) because I did have that revision to left. Otherwise I think you might have to wait about 2 weeks to do vigorous exercise.

There are some small incisions but they heal and barely noticeable. Actually mine are almost gone.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Congrats fluff on the successful fat grafting procedure!  

• vjm
    vjm Member Posts: 12

Happy Fall Equinox - just coming back from lots of summer fun PFC and gettin back to my road to wellness and recovery with swimming, yoga, exercise, walking, nutrition, rest and  sleep (as much as chemopause hot flashes allow)!!! Still battling some side effects from chemo and radiation, but all-in-all pretty good. Keep the faith girls still in treatment that there is indeed light at the end of your journey. Stay strong!!!:) vjm

ps some peach fuzz coming now - if I had a camera I'd update my photo:)

• MsTori
    MsTori Member Posts: 298

Thanks for asking TonLee about fat grafting and the response Lago. I was wondering too. I had Tram flap and although my breasts are similar to my original ones, I'm not very full up top half of chest, and had asked PS if he could pad that area with some fat. Didn't know it was called grafting and others having it done successfully. My PS said it prob wouldn't take, and that I could have implants to fill area out.

• ashla
    "

In findings that are fundamentally reshaping the scientific understanding of breast cancer, researchers have identified four genetically distinct types of the cancer. And within those types, they found hallmark genetic changes that are driving many cancers.

These discoveries are expected to lead to new treatments with drugs already approved for cancers in other parts of the body and new ideas for more precise treatments aimed at genetic aberrations that now have no known treatment.

The study, published online on Sunday in the journal Nature, is the first comprehensive genetic analysis of breast cancer, which kills more than 35,000 women a year in the United States. The new paper, and several smaller recent studies, are electrifying the field.

“This is the road map for how we might cure breast cancer in the future,” said Dr. Matthew Ellis of Washington University, a researcher for the study.

Researchers and patient advocates caution that it will still take years to translate the new insights into transformative new treatments. Even within the four major types of breast cancer, individual tumors appear to be driven by their own sets of genetic changes. A wide variety of drugs will most likely need to be developed to tailor medicines to individual tumors.

“There are a lot of steps that turn basic science into clinically meaningful results,” said Karuna Jaggar, executive director of Breast Cancer Action, an advocacy group. “It is the ‘stay tuned’ story.”

The study is part of a large federal project, the Cancer Genome Atlas, to build maps of genetic changes in common cancers. Reports on similar studies of lung and colon cancer have been published recently. The breast cancer study was based on an analysis of tumors from 825 patients.

“There has never been a breast cancer genomics project on this scale,” said the atlas’s program director, Brad Ozenberger of the National Institutes of Health.

The investigators identified at least 40 genetic alterations that might be attacked by drugs. Many of them are already being developed for other types of cancer that have the same mutations. “We now have a good view of what goes wrong in breast cancer,” said Joe Gray, a genetic expert at Oregon Health & Science University, who was not involved in the study. “We haven’t had that before.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/health/study-finds-variations-of-breast-cancer.html?_r=0

• ashla
    "

Comprehensive molecular portraits of human breast tumours"

We analysed primary breast cancers by genomic DNA copy number arrays, DNA methylation, exome sequencing, messenger RNA arrays, microRNA sequencing and reverse-phase protein arrays. Our ability to integrate information across platforms provided key insights into previously defined gene expression subtypes and demonstrated the existence of four main breast cancer classes when combining data from five platforms, each of which shows significant molecular heterogeneity. Somatic mutations in only three genes (TP53, PIK3CA and GATA3) occurred at >10% incidence across all breast cancers; however, there were numerous subtype-associated and novel gene mutations including the enrichment of specific mutations in GATA3, PIK3CA and MAP3K1 with the luminal A subtype. We identified two novel protein-expression-defined subgroups, possibly produced by stromal/microenvironmental elements, and integrated analyses identified specific signalling pathways dominant in each molecular subtype including a HER2/phosphorylated HER2/EGFR/phosphorylated EGFR signature within the HER2-enriched expression subtype. Comparison of basal-like breast tumours with high-grade serous ovarian tumours showed many molecular commonalities, indicating a related aetiology and similar therapeutic opportunities. The biological finding of the four main breast cancer subtypes caused by different subsets of genetic and epigenetic abnormalities raises the hypothesis that much of the clinically observable plasticity and heterogeneity occurs within, and not across, these major biological subtypes of breast cancer. "
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature11412.html

• ashla
    "the fourth type of breast cancer is what the researchers called HER2-enriched. Breast cancers often have extra copies of a gene, HER2, that drives their growth. A drug, Herceptin, can block the gene and has changed the prognosis for these patients from one of the worst in breast cancer to one of the best.

Yet although Herceptin is approved for every breast cancer patient whose tumor makes too much HER2, the new analysis finds that not all of these tumors are alike. The HER2-enriched should respond readily to Herceptin; the other type might not.

The only way to know is to do a clinical trial, and one is already being planned. Herceptin is expensive and can occasionally damage the heart. “We absolutely only want to give it to patients who can benefit,” Dr. Perou said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/health/study-finds-variations-of-breast-cancer.html?_r=1

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Thanks Lago.

I do have some fat on my tummy I'd like to use! lol  But I don't know if it is fat or just extra skin from having 2 babies...my PS says it's extra skin, but I'm not so sure.

I will ask about it because I have a couple places that aren't round..or whatever, hard to describe.

Thanks again girlie.  You have good info!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Ashla, thanks for posting. Interesting info. Im confused tho about her-2 enriched and "the other type" for which the article says herceptin might not work well. Would we know which type of her 2 we have?

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Ashla, thanks for posting. Interesting info. Im confused tho about her-2 enriched and "the other type" for which the article says herceptin might not work well. Would we know which type of her 2 we have?