Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

Yogurt was about the only thing I ate during chemo, it tasted good, helped with my stomach/intestine issues.....  A spoonful before a meal, cleansed my taste buds so that the meal didn't taste so ... wretched.    I ate Nancy's Organic, Plain, Whole milk yogurt most of the time, but when it wasn't available  ...... any natural, plain yogurt, I added fruit, ground flax, maple syrup, granola..

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Cypher keep u'r good outlook on Tamox---everyone is so different just like with all the chemo and combinations we get.  Alot of women are good on Tamox so just think of it that way.

• suegr8
    suegr8 Member Posts: 138

Hi Jenn    What is the type of blood test that I need to ask for in order to check tamox metabolism?  I have appmts coming up with gyno to inquire re ooph & hysterectomy.  MO wanted arimidex at first, an AI, but found I have bone density loss.  Between 2 drs. I hope to ask for the testing.

cheers

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Wow, you guys are busy!

LeeA, yes I lived on Fage during chemo.  My dietitian said at least 100g of protein a day to help repair what chemo destroys.  There was no way I was eating that much meat....lol.  So I ate Fage, with PB2, frozen with sugar free hot fudge, sometimes blended into smoothie, just anyway I wanted...  Regular yogurt doesn't have the protein punch that Fage does, even the regular Greek....it was the best protein source with the fewest calories...and it is DELISH!  lol  I still eat it almost every day.

I can't wait to read that study Jenn!  I want it to be true (ie, solid methodology)!  Especially since the other studies out now have shown some women who metabolize Tamoxifen just fine, still have their ER+ cancer return.  Obviously there is more than metabolization to consider...but am waiting (impatiently) for that study!

Salmon....Lago is right...the Cuisenart is probably better.  My GF is about 15 years old, and has one setting.  But I'm used to it so I can get my meat done perfectly.  I always get grill marks with it too.....top and bottom.  When I make chicken breasts on it, I pound the breasts to the exact same thickness so the top will cover them all uniformly.  Anyway, I cook the salmon on it for 4 minutes, 5 tops. 

For my salmon last night, I just made a ketchup/vinegar blend and used it sparingly as a dipping sauce.  Usually I make a dill sauce to go on it, but didn't feel like fooling with it last night.

Salmon with ketchup and vinegar,  and sweet potato oven fries!  400 calorie dinner!  And filling because I eat about 10 ounces of cooked fries!  lol  Love em!  (The trick is to bake them on a cookie cooling rack so both sides cook...no soggy fries in this house!)

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 1,095

suegr8 - the lab here in Australia that does the test calls it "Tamoxifen PredictAR". It tests something to do with CYP2D6. Here is the link to the brochure...

http://www.healthscopepathology.com.au/index.php/download_file/view/135/176/

http://www.healthscopepathology.com.au/index.php/download_file/view/136/176/

Jenn

• suegr8

My thanks Jenn!

cheers

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,257

tonlee - I don't know if you have eaten at Bonefish Grill but I have the recipe for Pan Asian Sauce that you can get with their salmon.  Let me know if you want it.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

I'd like the recipe SpecialK!  I eat salmon, but only have a couple sauces for it.  I'd love some more variety.  Thanks!

• specialk

Here you go:

Bonefish Grill Pan Asian Sauce

2 T. olive oil, 2 T. minced ginger, 2 T. minced garlic, 2 T. soy sauce, 2 T. peanut sauce, 1/2 c. ketchup, 1/2 c. oyster sauce, 1 T. lemon juice, 2 T. water, 1/4 c. sugar, 2 T. chopped fresh cilantro.  Saute ginger and garlic in the olive oil until tender but not browned.  Add soy sauce, peanut sauce, ketchup, oyster sauce, lemon juice and water.  Bring to a simmer on low heat.  Add sugar and simmer for another 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves.  Remove from heat and add chopped cilantro.  This keeps in the fridge so you can make it in advance.  I think you could also use organic ketchup and sugar substitute like agave or stevia.

I also like to mix greek yogurt, lemon juice and chopped fresh dill and use it as a sauce.  You could add grated cucumber and garlic to that as well.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Mmm....that sounds good SK..thanks!  I'm always on the lookout for salmon sauces!

• Kay_G

Thanks SpecialK, I can't wait to try it!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

My MO wouldn't order cyp2d6 test when I asked about it last year, so I wonder if that recent study will change her mind. She said it was unreliable. I see her next month & will ask about it again. Thanks for the info everyone.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

Yummmmmm Special K, sounds great!!! Can't wait to try it.

• specialk

It is yummy - don't know how many of you have eaten at Bonefish Grill, but the have several sauces and different kinds of fish, you pick your fish and then your sauce.  DH and DD always pick the salmon with Pan Asian sauce.  Last time I changed it up and got trout with Lemon Butter sauce.

• ang7894
    ang7894 Member Posts: 427

Ok as long as we are talking food I need to ask all you gals something. My sister said I need to watch what I eat I should not be eating hot dogs, bacon, sausage anything processed  why?

• specialk

ang - cured pork products contain nitrates which are thought to be linked to cancer.  Here is a link:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/lousylabels/processedmeat.html

Generally speaking, anything processed is less than desirable when trying to eat healthy because as food is processed, frozen, canned, etc., chemicals and preservatives are added to it. 

• LeeA
    LeeA Member Posts: 1,092

Thanks for the recipe, SpecialK. 

I just looked at Bonefish Grill's website.  No locations in California but a location in Louisville, KY (which is close to where my family lives) and in New York (which is where my DH's family lives).  I'll have to remember to give it a try the next time we're in either location.

• ang7894

SpecialK-- Thank you.   I just won't eat pork for that just woke me right up.

• gratitudeforlife
    gratitudeforlife Member Posts: 138

SPECIALK,

Thanks for catching my error re: tamoxifen statements. Chemo brain is at it again!!!!  I am nervous to start taking this drug, but I am going to stay positive until it's actually in my body (finish radiation next Thursday, so I want to give my body a one-month break, and then begin taking it,) even though my MO wants me to begin taking Tamoxifen on Feb., 1. I turned 50 on December 12---thought it would be the best year of my life with the 12/12/2012 vibe going on, but it turned out to be a beyond hideous year-----and I want to celebrate turning 50 with my friends without the Tamoxifen in my body. May sound silly, but as alcohol promotes production of estrogen, it has not passed my lips since last March 2012, when my 2nd ultrasound pretty much confirmed I had a malignant growth.  I want to be able to drink more than 3 drinks without worrying about all the chemical interactions, i.e., Herceptin, Tamoxifen, mixed in with radiation and remnants from chemo (finished Nov., 9, 2012).

• specialk

gratitude - you are most welcome and congrats on turning 50 - it is a milestone birthday for sure!  Have a great time celebrating and make some fun memories!  I waited to start Femara (I am post-meno) too so I would know what SEs belonged to what - it is a good idea!

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516

I'm way behind on this thread again but I promised I would post when I received the results of my endometrial biopsy (I've been on Tamoxifen for 16 months now and I had a pelvic ultrasound before Christmas that showed a thickening of the uterine lining beyond what is considered normal). Call came today and it's benign! I also had a 6 month mammogram/ultrasound yesterday that was normal. I can stop worrying for another 6 months. If you are on Tamoxifen, make sure you ask for an annual pelvic ultrasound to monitor for the effects of Tamoxifen.

• specialk

dragonfly - yay!!!!!  Thanks for coming to post with this great news!

• Kay_G

Yay Dragonfly! Great news indeed.

• cypher
    cypher Member Posts: 447

dragonfly, yeah!  The women on this thread for the most part seem to have good luck with that kidn of thing -- let's keep it up!

jennt, thanks for that info, really helpful.  I'll ask my MO about it.

• Dragonfly: thanks for that info...I must remember to ask for that when I go on tamoxifen. So many things to remember!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Dragonfly - good to see you & excellent news about your biopsy Smile

• ang7894

Great news Dragonfly Smile

• suegr8

Great news Dragonfly!  Thanks for the tip.  I'll be asking gyno for this.

cheers

• beckstar18
    beckstar18 Member Posts: 97

Gratitudeforlife, thanks for the Science Daily link.

LeeA, I've been eating Greek yogurt nearly every day, topped with ground flax and fresh blackberries. Very satisfying breakfast. Sometimes I add a banana or granola bar.

Pbrain, good info on nutrition training received by most docs. Unless they have a vested interest or take their own initiative, a few weeks of med school is it. I'm finishing my Master of Public Health- Nutrition this semester. Perfect timing to learn this stuff as I'm in the throes of chemo!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

gratitudeforlife I celebrated my 50th 2 weeks PFC. I felt like crap with all the accumulated SE from chemo. But I was glad chemo was finished before I was 50. I didn't start my Anastrozole till 6 weeks later. My onc wanted me to start 1 month but her NP told me to wait till March 1st so we would remember when I should stop. She said if I was doing RADs I would be waiting that lone anyway. So I waited.

Dragonfly YIPPEEE !!!

Here's my baked Salmon Recipe. It's general recipe so the amounts might be off. It will still taste good. I tend not to measure anything. Will have to find out what my husband does when he cooks it on the grill but lately he's been baking it as well.

-------------------------
    BAKED SALMON
    -------------------------
    Ingredients:

• 1 tuna fillets, about 12 to16 ounces
    • 4 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 medium clove garlic, pressed or minced
    • 3 or 4 drops Worcestershire sauce (I use more)
    • 1/2 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning, or your own favorite seasoning blend
    • 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    • 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley (Yeah right. I used dried)
    • 3 to 4 tablespoons plain or seasoned bread crumbs
    • few slices of onion (optional)

Preparation:

Place tuna in a baking dish which has been sprayed with a olive oil baking spray.

In a small bowl, combine olive oil with garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Creole seasoning blend, pepper, parsley. Brush both sides of fish fillets with the mixture. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the fillets. Add some onions on top if you like. Bake at 400° for about 12 minutes, depending on thickness of fillets, until fish flakes easily and is no longer translucent.