Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Metformin-Anyone on this trial?

Options

Comments

• catbill
    catbill Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2011
    Options

dutchgirl6-

Not necessarily the case.  I am on Metformin with no side effects.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the input, catbill.  I was hoping that the weight loss that my med onc said was a possible side effect would kick in, but that hasn't happened yet. Sigh.
  • AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694
    edited December 2011
    Options

dutchgirl6,

Hi neighbor -- I think it would be so helpful if there was a place in the signature line for automatic insertion of one's age, because age/menopause is so key to so many of the results we each get with treatment...

Anyway... along that same thought line... My "guess" is that the younger one is, the more chance of weight loss with metformin, just as the same is true for without metformin.

I'm doing metformin outside of any trial and don't have diabetes, but taking just 250 mg with each meal. It has made a HUGE difference for me, because my metabolism slowed down so drastically with each passing year after chemotherapy. Like so many I've seen post about it... their comment is always the same.... They found that they could no longer "eat normally". Eating totally carefully, and eating nothing but the most basic health food, and exercising daily, I still was gaining weight. And I'd had a normal BMI all the way to age 51!

But at least metformin has allowed me to now eat at least about half what I ate per day prior to chemotherapy, without gaining weight. I still have to exercise, but I'm not going hungry all day while gaining weight.

A.A.

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 371
    edited December 2011
    Options

Wow!  That research article is GREAT!!! 

• AlaskaAngel
    edited December 2011
    Options

Just think.... if the study recommendations are correct, in ADDITION to figuring out that metformin likely is a helpful weapon against cancer, their research indicates that there is a test that is already developed and available for other purposes that might be able to be used to help tell the difference between cancerous tissue at time of surgery and noncancerous tissue at time of surgery, for helping to make sure they "get it all".  Definitely a winner if it turns out to be true.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20111205_Check_Up__Treating_cancer_by_starving_cells.html

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited December 2011
    Options

We need a like button^^^^^!

• starella
    starella Member Posts: 101
    edited December 2011
    Options

BUMP

• starella
    edited December 2011
    Options
      Good Morning!               as I find them I will post them! http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/238893.php
  • kks_rd
    kks_rd Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2011
    Options

Met with the clincal trials nurse today.  Did the informed consent and other enrollment stuff.  So long as my bloodwork does not screen me out (no reason to think it will),  I'm enrolled in the study.  Will find out before my next appt on the 20th.

If among the first 888 to enroll, one would have to do several lengthy questionnaires.  The RN told me today that nationally, more than 888 have enrolled by now, so no extra questions for me!

• starella
    edited December 2011
    Options

bumping

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited December 2011
    Options

I will receive my "Metformin/Placebo" prescription next week. Glad to be a part of research.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Welcome aboard, Kat and Ralston.
  • kks_rd
    edited December 2011
    Options

I got the call from the research nurse today - I'm enrolled!  I'll be able to pick up my pills sometime this week.  IDK if it's real metformin or not, but I'm keeping fingers crossed for no GI symptoms over the holiday weekend.....

• AlaskaAngel
    edited December 2011
    Options

It is an important study and I'm thankful for everyone who participates. I don't qualify, as I am considered too far out from treatment, but my PCP and NP and endocrinologist agree about my use of the drug. I picked up another 3 months of metformin today. Glad to see you joined the study, kks_rd!

AlaskaAngel

• kks_rd
    edited December 2011
    Options

I'm happy to be a part whether I'm in the placebo group or not.  I am having a hard time discerning if what I'm having are very mild side effects or just random gurgly-guts.  How noticable would any SEs be?

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited December 2011
    Options

I think I might qualify for this trial. I read the info at this website

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view?cdrid=669788&version=healthprofessional#EntryCriteria_CDR0000669788

I called the NCI number but it was not helpful. Was told to talk to my doctor about it or contact a facility participating in the trial.

I contacted 2 teaching facilities(participating) in my region & was told I'd have to make an appt to determine eligibility. Does this sound correct? There are 2 points that might DQ me but I'm really not sure I understand it completely. Both questions have to do with lymph node involvement.

Both facilities are over 2 hours away & I don't want to make the trip if they are going to reject me.

• AlaskaAngel
    edited December 2011
    Options

coraleliz,

The link you posted is not working (possibly because it looks like the version is for a health professional, and may require a password). Do you happen to have the NCT # for the trial you are referring to?

I've been in a couple of clinical trials. For sure I wouldn't drive for over 2 hours, either, just to get clarification on understanding the basic eligibility criteria. I just explained how far away I live, and each time the trial coordinator explained any criteria for the trial I wasn't sure about. I'd pester the contact person to either send you the criteria in writing, or to send you a link to get to it, and give you their intepretation of it. If that didn't work I'd go over it with a PCP or onc.

AlaskaAngel

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited December 2011
    Options
    AA - copy and paste the link into your browser - see if that works.
  • AlaskaAngel
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thanks, Omaz -- that worked. It is the MA-31, or NCT01101438, phase III randomized metformin vs placebo for early stage bc.

coraleliz, 

Tell the trial coordinator how far away you are, and suggest that maybe faxing in a copy of your pathology report to the coordinator would help to get the info you need so you would know whether to drive there or not.

A.A.

• coraleliz
    edited December 2011
    Options

AA- Thanks. I'll try again. I left messages & recieved a call back asking me to make an appt with a certain doctor. I might also try to craft an email to the coordinator cutting & pasting the parts form the trial eligibility criteria that I'm not sure of. Thanks again

• AlaskaAngel
    edited December 2011
    Options

coraleliz,

I hope it works out for you. It sounds like they are trying to come up with suggestions. I'm not sure why the coordinator isn't making it possible for you to ask your questions over the phone. However, the criteria for this trial is a little more specific than most. It may be that the trial is more popular than anticipated, since it doesn't involve a drug that has a lot of unknown or toxic effects and is inexpensive to consider continuing once the trial is over.

A.A.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited December 2011
    Options

Had my first meeting with the Oncologist yesterday: no chemo, no rads; she wants me on Arimidex ASAP, with Tamox as a backup should I have problems with the AI.

She mentioned the success they are having with Metformin, but said that because of my dx, I would not meet the protocol requirements to take it for breast cancer. However - because I've been prediabetic for years, we might be discussing this drug again in my future.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Here's the link to the clinical trials version of the study LINK.  
  • coraleliz
    edited December 2011
    Options

AA-Thanks for the additional information. I have an appt with a new MO on Tues, I will also inquire then.

Omaz-Both centers I contacted are listed as "recruiting" on the link you provided. Maybe it just the holidays. Not alot happens between Thanksgiving & New Years.

I have bilateral tumors & the one one the right, Im pretty sure quailfies me(LVI). But the one on the left might disquailify me. 2 positive lymph nodes. The criteria says less than 2 but everywhere else when numbers are used it says less than or equal to__.

• Fighter_34
    edited January 2012
    Options

Kks_rd---pretty instantly usually 4 hours after taking your first dose, or faster if you take both doses too close together. I made the mistake and took both doses within an hour of each other. What a day! Couldn't remeber if I took it or not. Chemo Fog.

For me I have hope that Metaformin works. For my particular diagnose we have no after treatment care; which is pretty scary. So if it works for the majority I would really love for my triple neg sister to have this opportunity.

• starella
    edited January 2012
    Options

bump

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited January 2012
    Options

What does bump mean?

• msjag
    msjag Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2012
    Options

Fighter,  it does sound good, but am I misunderstanding??  I tried to read up on this and what I'm reading talks about hormones and the drug reacting to keep tumors from forming or getting smaller in research, so would that work for us triple negative people?  Would love input, or info..thanks!!!

• kks_rd
    edited January 2012
    Options

Ralston, "bump" means the person is replying just to get the thread "bumped" to the top of the index page.  People bump a thread when it's been inactive for a while.

msjag, don't forget that insulin is a hormone (just not one of the ones we're used to thinking about with BC, that is estorgen or progesterone).  There is something about the way tumors grow that dependss on insulin/glucose, but it's way too complicated for me to understand/try to explain.  Maybe someone else out there can help..?

• Fighter_34
    edited January 2012
    Options

Msjag-I truly hope it does mean a reduction or total shrinkage in tumors

Researchers believe T-negs are insulin resistant and that Metformin works with metabolizing insulin within our bodies therefore cutting off the protein needed for cancer to survive.