Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Metformin-Anyone on this trial?

Options

Comments

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited April 2012
    Options

Got my Metformin in the mail today.  I cut the 850mg tablet in half and will take the first one tonight when I go to bed.  I usually have a cast iron stomach, so hoping any se's are minimal.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,795
    edited April 2012
    Options

Navy mom.....I didnt have many symptoms until I hit the full dose, then diarhea. Took awhile to even out, but now pretty good.

• navymom
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks, fluffqueen.  Outta be an interesting Onc appointment next week when I tell her I'm on Metformin.   She denied my request for it, But PCP gave it to me.  :)

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited April 2012
    Options

Navymom- My MO is the one who suggested it. My old MO and reg doc looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked about taking Metformin. They are all about waiting for trials to be completed and stuck in their ways. I like a doctor who thinks for him/her self and thinks outside of the box. Did you have chemo and did you do the Oncotype dx?

• navymom
    edited April 2012
    Options

Yep, I did 6 rounds of TAC.  No oncotype because I am Triple Negative.  Which in my own opinion is good enough reason for trying the Metformin since we TNs have no hormonal therapy after TX is complete  And I had 2 ONC decline my request for Metformin...The first one was the ONC I went to for tx and the second one was the one I went to for a 2nd opinion at a large teaching hospital.  And as you stated, both had the reason of waiting for studies to be completed.  Good Bless my PCP......His own sister has BC..she even went to the same BS and PS that I did.  He was more than happy to let me give it a try.  Dear man even gave me a hug when He left my exam room.  Gotta just like the guy for being human.

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited April 2012
    Options

I was upset when I found out that the bs took 4 nodes instead of 3 because now the insurance won't pay for the Oncotype dx. I don't have 4k to pay myself.

Just make sure you eat when you take the metformin so your sugar doesn't crash. Some doc's around here prescribe it for weight loss. I really don't need to loose weight.

I just pulled my side with the drain tubes trying to fling a bee off my hand. I am deathly allergic to them and I freaked out. Now I am in pain.

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216
    edited April 2012
    Options

Navymom - I'm with you with having to tell the Onc this week! I'm going Tuesday, but let us know how yours takes the idea. 

I had one afternoon - really just a few hours - of diarrhea about two days into it, and no problems since.

Dianarose - Sorry you're hurting now. Stupid bee. 

• aug242007
    aug242007 Member Posts: 186
    edited April 2012
    Options

I spoke to my onc today who is very conservative and she was willing to give me a prescription.  I am thin to normal weight and ER+/PR+.  She states that the trial looks promising on this one.

• navymom
    edited April 2012
    Options

Got a question for those of you on Metformin: I have taken 5 doses now and feel that my abdomen is bloated and even uncomfortable.  I have not had any GI issues or any other issues for that matter. So just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if so, how lond did it last?

Hey Madpeacock, did you see your onc yesterday?  Just wondering how the conversation went when you reported that you are on the Metformin.

• madpeacock
    edited April 2012
    Options

Navymom - I have to say I love my onc. She - like me - has autoimmune issues (I may be repeating myself here, but am too lazy to scroll back and check), is heavily into integrative meds and supplements, and supports me and even asks me questions about what I have done for myself in the past. She was FINE with it. I was nervous, but she was totally on board. Whew!

Re: the bloating. I have had digestive issues for years, so I fully expected GI issues when I started. I am slow to process, if you know what I mean. The autoimmune stuff does not help here. I started on a Wednesday (last week) at dinner. Was fine until Friday afternoon when the dam broke, so to speak. Had a few hours of cramping, bloating, and colon cleanse (LOL), but have been fine since. 

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited April 2012
    Options

Navymom.. I have a lot of gas. never did before Metformin ( so pretty sure I am getting the "real" drug)

• navymom
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks for comments, gals.  I have always been a "slow processor" and that seems to be true as of now.  was prepared for the loosy goosy with Metformin but not yet!  Maybe once I increase the dose the real action will get going.  Right now, I take 425mg each evening.  Promised my PCP that I would go a full 2 weeks between increasing dosages.  Eventually hope to be at 850 twice a day.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,795
    edited April 2012
    Options

NavyMom, mine didn't hit until pretty close to the full dose. Like MadPeacock said...colon cleanse. LOL. Although for me, it beat the alternative that I had after surgeries and while on chemo. I was happy to have the opposite effect for awhile and be pain free.

• lindsay72
    lindsay72 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2012
    Options

I am in the clinical trial. I started Jan. 20, and within a few days, I had nausea and diahrrea. It settled down until I doubled the dose after 4 weeks, as per instructions.  Same thing - so I guess I'm not on the placebo. Now I've been on the full dose of 850 mg twice a day for almost two months, and I still get diahrrea about once a week, with burning lower abdomen pain. Any suggestions?

• lindsay72
    edited April 2012
    Options

Anyone else with ongoing problems with this. I stil have lower abdominal pain. I feel as if everything is going to fall on the ground! Don't know if it's still the Metformin or something else. Told my GP about the diarrhea and stomach pain, and he said it's the Metformin but if this keeps up, I don't know if I want to stay in the trial. My cancer and treatment gave me enough pain. I'm not looking for any more.

• madpeacock
    edited April 2012
    Options

Sorry to hear that Lindsay! I get an occasional gurgle, but that is about it. Never had nausea. Hope it clears up - or becomes at least more tolerable - and you can stay in the trial. 

• lindsay72
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the support, Madpeacock. It seems a bit better tonight. I also think I got a bit too enthusiastic about exercising after too long getting flabby, and I've strained the abdominal muscles. Swimming three times a week after not having been swimming for at least three years?  Go figure!
  • navymom
    edited April 2012
    Options

No abdominal pain here.  But I have noticed that I feel bloated by the end of the evening.  Also, no loose stools.  Going back to aerobics class today.  First time in 2 weeks.  I've had bronchitis, sinusitis and layngitis.  Went through 2 different antibiotics and a steroid dose pack.  Feeling much better now.  Keep on keepin on, Gals

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited April 2012
    Options

If I have something important to do or a long trip I cut my dosage down and when I got back to my regular dosage here comes all the side effects.

However, no matter what amount I take I still have gas, but the loose stool has subsided.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2012
    Options

May I join? Am almost done with my treatment s.im going to print out tberapist studies and present to my docs when I go back to them. Otherwise I'm sure I can find a way to get it.

• madpeacock
    edited April 2012
    Options

Ouch NavyMom - that sounds rough. Glad you're feeling better!

Keep up that exercise Lindsay - the soreness will work itself out of your muscles with continued effort - keep it slow and steady - and soon you'll wonder why you ever stopped!  

Have a great day! (Dang, I'm little Miss Sunshine this morning. I'm blaming the coffee...) 

• oaktownmom
    oaktownmom Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2012
    Options

Just signed up for the trial and got my huge bottle o' pills yesterday.  Guess I'll start this weekend.  Actually hoping for side effects, with the hope that I'm getting the real deal and not the placebo.  Anybody who is taking it by prescription not have any SE's?  Wish me luck!

• momoschki
    momoschki Member Posts: 218
    edited April 2012
    Options

My integrative onc rx'ed Metformin for me over a year ago-- 500 mg 2x day.  No real side effects except maybe a slight decrease in appetite (a good thing!)-- I have lost some weight.  Whether this is from the Metformin or not, I really can't say, as I have also stepped up my exercise program.  But I tolerate the Metformin with no problems.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited April 2012
    Options

Lintroller, I had similar things going on prior to DX, a stubborn extra 10 pounds or so, which was very unusual for me, craving sweets, tired etc.

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    edited April 2012
    Options

I just finished rads and today my MO offered me the chance to participate in the Metformin clinical trial. I have all the literature to read. I'd like to help BC research but even the thought of nausea and diarrhea as a side effect have me scared, having just finished chemo before the radiation.

I'll be reading all the past posts on this....

• carolinames
    carolinames Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2012
    Options

Wave Whisperer, I am meeting with my MO tomorrow and a hospital rep for the Metformin trial.  My MO recommended me and I am interested to see what he has to say! I am pretty sure I am going to do it. 

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2012
    Options

I just started my metformin trial this morning 850MG tablet once a day for 28 days then 2 per day starting May 25th. I have the tummy gurgling happening and gas Hmmmmmmm, I also have a fever but I think Im may be cathcing a cold with this crazy weather latley.... I have a bit of achy bones wondering is this is related.............. Im wondering if this is normal.... Guess Im on the real deal too.... A placebo wouldnt give you side effects I dont think

• mkkjd60
    mkkjd60 Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2012
    Options

Has anyone heard anything about stage iv people using metformin? My mom is stage iv. Thanks!

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 371
    edited April 2012
    Options

Well, bummer.  I wrote a way back that I've been taking my husband's metformin but don't have a prescription of my own.  Well, I saw my GP yesterday and finally decided to ask for a prescription.  I even took a list of the metformin studies going on.  NO GO.  She told me that it was my onc's duty to okay it (and he already said no a while ago) since it was solely for the purpose of preventing a recurrence rather than diabetes or prediabetes treatment.  She said that the study women were probably already prediabetic or diabetic, and I said NO--quite the opposite--being diabetic was actually an exclusion factor to some of the studies!  She was concerned that it might make a non-diabetic's blood sugar to go down too low to be safe.  I didn't tell her, of course, that I've been taking it for a few months already and it only lowered my fasting blood sugar by about 5 pts. LOL.

She was willing to take my paperwork and said she would look into it further, and let me know if it she could find enough "reason" to prescribe it.  She did seem a little bit more willing when I told her that both my parents are/were diabetic.  That with the fact that I had gestational diabetes just might help out. 

Does anyone who has recently gone in armed with research and paperwork about htese studies have a link to a specific article or download that I could email to her in a few days (just to keep the subject fresh in her mind!)??? 

• navymom
    edited April 2012
    Options

MKK:  So sorry, I don't have an answer for you regarding Metformin for stage IV.  Have you spoke with her Onc?  You might also want to ask on one of the stage IV threads or even start a new thread.

Weety: Well, crap.  The articles I went to PCP with are from May 2011, Nov 2011 and Dec 2011.  Keep pestering that GP of yours.  Let us know how it all turns out.  Best of luck to you.