Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

After Radiation

Options

Comments

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

grannydukes I have been using the coconut oil for a couple of months now and I love it.  My skin is so soft.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

Sherry- its amazing right? now my GD just told me that her SIL uses it all over her body and her hair too.are you doing that? its funny because you have to keep it at 76 deg.well my apt is always different deg.so i go from window to window room to room(in my studio apt) trying to keep it from not getting too hard or melting down.gosh that should be my biggest problem.ha.

• Sherryc
    Options

grannydukes I have only used it on my face, but when I use up my current body lotions I am going to switch.  I have not tried it in my hair but I heard it was good for that as well.

• FireKracker
    Options

so now all i need is a shampoo without all the crap and im on my way to be holistic...I guess the coconut oil is gonna be my best friend.Sherry--did you ever try to cook with it?

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    Options

Tory, are you alright?  I just haven't heard any more since you talked about having the Shingles....  Are they giving you something to help with the pain?   See if you can find more information on here!

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-topic-overview

I haven't had THAT one, but I just got the Shingles Shot last year, after one of our friends talked about how horrible it was.... 

Kantalope!  So what do I do?  You want me to actually send you a leaf?  Until you get one?  Honey, I could send you a plant CHEAPER!!!  Ha, ha!   I told you what to do with your bras, and you promptly ignored the suggestion....See?    You know what I did with my coconut oil....?  I mixed with my home-made cream, so it doesn't get so hard!  

And the Baby wipes?  I get them at Big Lots, a huge pack for $1.....they are the best, and I use them for everything! 

Okay gals....just get better little Tory and all you other gals still going through treatment and SE's!  xoxooxoxoxxo

• FireKracker
    Options

Chevy----you just crack me up.im wondering if any other of these nice sistas of ours know what kinda nut you are.Its such a pleasure to have you on this thread.

about the bras---yea I read it but i used to sew but my hands are so bad i can hardly open a jar .it would take me a month to take apart a bra but thanks anyway.ill use my crappy ones for now.Someone posted after about 2 yrs. they were able to go back to nice clingy tops.I can wait.its alright that im buying my tops in Romans now.nice and baggy and long to cover my skinny legs..

and yes send me the plant.express.pronto.

have a wonderful peaceful nite everyone.huggggggggggggs K

• Chevyboy
    Options

Kantalope!  I was just KIDDING about the bra's!!!!!!!  Yikes....!  You other gals didn't think I was SERious, did you?   No don't ever cut your bra's in half....but on the other hand, it might just work, Ha!   I don't even wear a bra at home, do you gals?  I don't think it's going to bother my what used to be cute perky little boobs....Nope...Not at 73...Wink xoxoxoxo

• FireKracker
    Options

Yes I do wear a bra at home.i would never answer my door with that huge boob sticking up in my Pjs.they get in my way anyway.24DD.shit.and on the bottom im a size 6.

this is supposed to be about after rads.did anyone find a shampoo for me yet????gee i thought chevy would send something over by now.

Im realy done for the nite.its been fun.have a peaceful and pain free nite.

special prayers for Tori with the shingles and Sherry for her pain.still prayin for everyone else.WE NEED TO PRAY FOR THE VACINE.hugggsK

• Chevyboy
    Options

Morning gals...I just read on another thread, that Dr. Oz had a piece about Thyroid cancer....Make sure you ask for a Thyroid shield, when you are having a Mammogram...I had never heard of this before! 

Kantalope, the only place I am a size 6 is in my shoes!   I WISH I was a size 6....I think my little Sheltie is a size 6.... but not me...Undecided  Didn't you grow up yet?  Ha!  I once heard "How can I grow old if I haven't even grown up?" xoxoxoxo

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

GD, try using Soma organic hair products. I use them and love them. Also, I use the coconut oil on my body and in FL, it is warm so it is really like oil a lot of the time. No problem applying it. I love it.

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

Hey ladies...

Just checking in...

Got started on meds almost 3 days ago...still having pain, but it seems to helping already...I think they caught them early enough...can't imagine them being all over the place because they hurt like a mofo....yikes!

One more boost on Monday and I'm done, done DONE!  I'm sure it will be bitter sweet...looking forward to bonding with al you feisty ladies!

Tori 

• Chevyboy
    Options

Good job Tori!  I'm so glad you are feeling better!  Just take care of yourself!  And little honey, I think you've already bonded....Kantalope thinks you are as sweet as Peach Pie!  

It's because some of us are "older"....that's why we are feisty, Ha!    Either that, or just plain onery!  xoxoxoxo

• FireKracker
    Options

good afternoon everyone---chevy-yes i heard about the thyroid shield for mammo and Xrays.when I went to the dentist last week i told him i just got finished with the rads and i didnt want too many more xrays he got the shield and only took 1.

Barbara-thanks once again for the info on the soma hair products.im gonna check it out.I am so sick of reading labels.wow the new me.

Torygirl---thank GOD those shingles were caught in time...just dont forget to rest a lot.and....MONDAY is your last day.I promise you that you wont miss going to tx.every day.Think how sweet that will be.We are gonna have a party here..

I think you are the first sista to actually finish treatment on this thread.am i right???????If that is so then someone who knows how to post flowers or drinks something please help me here.i dont know how.WE NEED A CELEBRATION.THE FIRST ONE HERE.YAY

Hope everyone has a wonderful pain free day.hugggggggs K

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

ALL DONE WITH RADS AS OF TODAY!

Thanks be to God!

Such a beautiful day of sunshine and slight breeze...feeling wonderful and empowered to move forward...

Going to visit my dad this weekend for  a little R & R....it is going to be most welcomed.  

Still taking meds for the shingles and it seems to be getting better although there is still some pain..but that, I can handle.... 

How long do I keep using the RX lotion the RO gave me? When an I start to use other stuff to soften my skin and get it on the real road to recovery?  Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

So glad to be finally be a part of the "after" treatment group!

Love, hugs and prayers,

Tori

DE COLORES! 

• Sherryc
    Options

Tori glad you are finished and going to see your Dad this weekend, Woohoo.  I used my Xclair cream for 2 weeks post rads and then switched to a vitamin E cream for three months.  This was my instructions from the rads clinic.  I will be following up with my RO in a couple of weeks so i will see then if he wants me to continue with the vitamine E cream.  Glad your shingles were caught early and is responding the medication.  I have heard they are painful.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

(((NANCY))) I have scanxiety too. I'm having a mammo next week. Yikes. I think I have breast lymphedema, too, and will be checking that out next week.

• Chevyboy
    Options

Morning gals!  Good luck on your up-coming Mammo's!  Mine is NEXT month. Undecided

Also could anyone please tell me how often you see your Oncologist?  I don't take any other meds now...stopped Tamoxifen after 14 months... Is it normal to go see her every 3 months?  Do you even SEE an Oncologist if you are not taking the preventive meds?  Is this visit just for the blood-test for the "tumor markers?"  And to schedule Mammogram's?   Thanks for any help! 

• Sherryc
    Options

Barbara I have my mammo next Monday not looking forward to it at all.  With the swelling that I have I also wonder if I have breast lymphoma.  See my RO on the 28th for follow up and will ask then, if not will be seeing my BS soon so will ask her.

Chevyboy I see my MO every three months. They do blood work and also order my mammo's.  I am taking tamoxifen so they monitor that as well

• Chevyboy
    Options

Thanks Sherry...Yes, I was seeing my Oncologist every 6 months, but since I stopped the Tamoxifen, I wondered if that is why she scheduled it in 3 months instead of 6.  Maybe I should post this on a different thread also, like one where the women are not taking the meds like Tamoxifen or Arimidex, or Femara, etc.....And see how often they see their Oncologist.

See, she is not happy, nor very talkative, like she used to be, when I was taking the Tamoxifen.  She wants me to take Femara, & will push it again when I go back.... Heck, at 73, you would THINK I wouldn't be so intimidated by her.....I just don't want any more SE's.....You know, it gets hard enough sometimes to put up with all the OTHER little things that come with growing older, Ha! 

• Sherryc
    Options

Chevy you might want to look at the natural girls thread http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/79/topic/730113?page=274#idx_8205

Several on that thread do not take Tamoxifen or the AL's are are doing things with supplements.  They may be able to give you some things to think about as far as supplements go etc.

• lestwin
    lestwin Member Posts: 20
    Options

TORIGIRL:  Congratulations on finishing rads.

I finished on March 16th, cancelled a follow up appointment with the RO for two weeks later (what for?) and used the silverdean ointment for about a week, went on a cruise for the following week (just got back) and have not been using anything since.  I had very severe burns but now you would look at me and think "she has never had rads".  I was never told about using anything except putting the cream on the burns and they healed in a week.

I have an MO appointment the last week of April, an RO appt. end of May, and a BS appt. beginning of June with a mammo in between.  I start the Arimidex in a few days and hope things go as good as the rads did, we'll see.

• Sherryc
    Options

Does anyone have scars from radiation.  My areola/nipple area was completely raw during rads and now that it has healed my areaola is one complete scar with 1/4 of it more pronouced because my boost got it also.  Took me by suprise when it healed and was scared. 

• FireKracker
    Options

Morning sistas

was away for 2 days a wow.i missed Tori party.congrats to you.YOU ARE THE FIRST ONE ON THIS THREAD TOFINISH RADS...CONGRATS..I wish i knew how to send you roses.smooches instead.have fun with your dad/

Nancy welcome-I too am goin to the dr today.BS.first time im gonna see her since i had the drains removed.im scared.

that breast is way bigger then the other one.my onco said it could stay that way.gosh i hope not.

Cheyv-i see my onco every 3 mos.you know im not takin the meds and my dr is ok with it.not thrilled but ok.she talks to me about the dim and other suppliments to and not to take.also does blod work.if you dont like your onco move on honey...

Leswin-you should be puttin on some kinda cream like emu or 100%aloe something.the rads do dry out your skin.

And yess sherry i do have a scar all around my nipple and it really sticks way out.im havin trouble with tops.its still darker and ugly.

and the beat goes on....i hate livin like this with these damn drs.next month i will be loaded with drs.i better stop whining.it could be a lot worst.

prayin for a vacine.or a miracle.huggggggggs K

• texaslonghorn31
    texaslonghorn31 Member Posts: 5
    Options

SherryC - I still have the weird brown square on my chest from RADS though my last one was 6 months ago. My right breast (the one that got the lumpectomy and RADS) is still weird looking compared to my other one. I burned pretty bad in RADS. My nipple has the scar from the lumpectomy (looks like they made the incision right around the nipple... my lump was deep in my breast under the nipple) and the nipple is of course a totally different color than my other one. And it is like half inverted if that makes sense.... and I have a lovely blue tat dot next to it. :) But I wear tank tops and swimsuits and don't really care if people see my square.... am lucky to have a boyfriend who doesn't care what the breast looks like as long as he gets to see them! My side effects from RADS ( swelling, pain, etc) are way worse than what the outside look like so I guess I don't pay that much attention to it anymore. I just call it my broken boob. I did use the creams A LOT going through RADS which I think helped some.

• GirlFriday
    GirlFriday Member Posts: 203
    Options

Can you explain the scar?  I have my last boost tomorrow, and but my nipple is  a week out of exposure.  At first it turned to leather, and then last week...3 more sessions to go it looked ike dinosaur skin, where it peeled and the magenta new skin was exposed.  I feel the need to say...my original color was more "petal" pink, not this brown/magenta combo!  ha!  Is the scar a color change? Or is it more like a scar you get on say your knee?  Does that make sense?  Just curious to see what could be waiting for me?

• texaslonghorn31
    texaslonghorn31 Member Posts: 5
    Options

GirlFriday - not sure if you are asking me or the earlier poster... about the scar. My scar is from the surgery... not the RADS... though the RADS did turn it a weird color vereses say getting a cut on your leg which heals and looks like a regular scar.

I actually took pictures of my breast every week for the entire 7 weeks of RADS. Wanted to see the before, during and after of it all.

• GirlFriday
    Options

texaslonghorn:  You posted while I was typing, I should have id'd it better...I wish I would have taken pics...I considered it and then ignored it! Now I wish I would have snapped pics!

• Sherryc
    Options

Girlfriday my areola is scared.  It is a lighter color than the other breast and the skin is thicker and raised. 1/4 of it is even puffier because it continued getting zapped on through the boost.

My lumpectomy scar is at the 9 oclock position and it looks pretty good, flat and not much color there.  But the areola scar from rads is not very pretty.

• GirlFriday
    Options

Sherry:  I'm thinking that may be where mine is headed.  My lx scar is at twelve...the top of my once tough nip is getting boosted. I guess I'll just add it to my list of scars that I'll use to torture the kids at Halloween when I'm old and cantankerous!

• Sherryc
    Options

Girlfriday my last week of rads was very painful.  My areola was raw like hamburger meat.  I took painpills just to get through the week.  Hope yours is not as painfull because it was no fun.