Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ER-, PR-, Her2+ Roll call

Options

Comments

• marjie
    marjie Member Posts: 365
    Options
    IowaSue - LOOKING GOOD Laughing
  • IowaSue45
    IowaSue45 Member Posts: 422
    Options

Thanks Marjie!! You Too !!!

Have you ladies all seen the movie Living Proof?  it is about the Dr. that discovered herceptin and what he went through to get it approved, awesome story !! It had been on Lifetime but I didn't see it then so I ordered it online.

• anonymice
    anonymice Member Posts: 52
    Options

Sounds interesting, Sue!

• marjie
    Options

I keep wanting to see it....but I keep forgetting the title (chemo brain!!) so thanks!!  I'm going to see if I can rent it....

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

I saw it.  It's an inspiring story.  I think I got it from Netflix.

• nevo84
    nevo84 Member Posts: 55
    Options

bump

• BringOnTheChemo
    BringOnTheChemo Member Posts: 4
    Options

5babiesmommy-  

It sounds like we are in the same clinical trial, I am doing the same exact treatment, this Thursday will be treatment number 4.  Haven't lost my hair yet, my onc told me day 18, which was yesterday.  In a weird way I just want it to happen yet I will not cut it off before necessary.  There is just so much build up to the hair loss!  I have been feeling pretty good so far, just cold-like symptoms on day 2 and 3.  I have heard the effects are cumulative and as you are about 3 weeks ahead of me I was wondering what SEs you are currently experiencing?  I am also a stay-at-home mom of 3 children, ages 10, 8 and 17 mos.  I have been nervous about having them home for the summer and the SEs of chemo, but so far I have been feeling pretty good.  Best of luck through treatment!

• Slainte
    Slainte Member Posts: 55
    Options

5babies,

I also had FEC x3 then T x3. A Canadian common chemo protocol. I believe I had the FEC first as they don't give the herceptin at the same time as the E(epirubicin) because heart complications are higher if the two are given at the same time. They do however start the hercptin with the taxol, as herceptin given at the same time as a chemo agent is move effective ( called concurrent therapy). So the first three herceptin is given with chemo agent. I believe that is the logic here.

How is chemo going for you?

Christine

• ssimmons66
    ssimmons66 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hey Ladies!

It has been 2 years since I had my first "chemo tx" and even though I thought it was never going to end and my life would NEVER be the same. I was WRONG!  2 years later I almost forget sometimes that I ever breast cancer. Its kinda like that old boyfriend from High School that at the time I thought I was never going to get over and now I cant even remember his last name!!!

I just wanted to encourage you ladies going thru all of this right now to keep your head up because soon you will be back to living a normal life. And this will all just be another chapter in your life that you can close.

Oh and as far as my hair growing back it is now thicker and prettier than it has ever been!

God Bless all of you and remember.....This too shall pass!!!

Love yall

Sherri

• Southamptonmom
    Southamptonmom Member Posts: 71
    Options

Congrats, and Thank you Sherri!

• Survivorwoman
    Survivorwoman Member Posts: 70
    Options

Thank you for your kind words Sherri. I really needed to hear your words.

• IowaSue45
    Options

had my last herceptin today YAY!!!

• Survivorwoman
    Options

Iowa Sue: Congrats! Well done!

I have three more months of Tykerb alone. No Herceptine for me.

• marjie
    Options

YAY IowaSue!!!  I can't wait to be there - think I will finish up herceptin in January sometime.  Do you have a port?  If so, when are they going to take it out?  DH and I are planning to go away in February...be nice not to have a port sticking out of my chest!

• Survivorwoman
    Options

Hi Marjie-- nice to see you. You look great! I have not seen you since we finished chemo in February or maybe it was a bit longer for you. I just thought to say "Hi" to you.

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    Options

Congrats, Iowa Sue!

I finished chemo (taxol/carbo/herceptin) three years ago today!

Marje - I finished Herceptin in April 2009 (right before my daughter's wedding in my picture) - had a PET/CT in June - and port out in August or September. It's just a thin, white scar now. Getting the port out is really a great feeling.

• marjie
    Options

Hi Survivorwoman :)  I think we both finished up around the same time if I remember correctly!  Good to "see" you again.

suemed8749 - I wonder if a scan is the "norm" once you are finished chemo and herceptin?  I'd love to have my port out but I wasn't sure if they wait a bit incase it's needed again (let's hope and pray not!!)

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    Options

Marje - I think it's the norm for my onc when treating Her2+ ( I didn't have any symptoms calling for a scan), but I don't know if it's part of the standard of care. I could've pushed to get the port out sooner, but I just waited until my regular check-up. It was the first question my PA asked me after we'd gone over the scan results in detail - "Ready to get your port out?" You can imagine my answer!

• IowaSue45
    Options

Had my port out in May when I had Bilt DIEP. The last 3 herc. were done with IV and it wasn't fun, Fri. it took them 5 sticks to get the iv in, I have really hard to access veins.

• Grimbol
    Grimbol Member Posts: 139
    Options

Hi to you all,  I have recently been diagnosed with BC, had a lumpectomy, and a sentinel node testing.  No node involvement, but it is grade 3, and HER2+.  I will do radiation (sorry not up on all the abbreviations yet!) but I'm still waiting to see onc dr. so I don't know about chemo yet.  Probably Herceptin though.  I was inteerested to read about those with the same type etc. who have done chemo. Did you get a choice, or does it just automatically go with Herceptin? Waiting is the worst!

thanks for reading this and the posting and all the encouragement I have seen.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    Options

Grimbol~ Sorry you had to join this club. :(  Herceptin is not given very often without some type of chemo.  You are right and you are at the worst point in the process IMO. 

• Grimbol
    Options

Thanks, yes not overjoyed to be sure, but very happy to find you all!

• Southamptonmom
    Southamptonmom Member Posts: 71
    Options

Grimbol, sorry you are joining our group, but glad you are here. This board has been precious to me. There's lots of information and support, and the WAITING is the HARDEST! You are about a month behind me in your diagnosis. Please feel free to PM me if you need to talk. I would imagine that you will be doing chemo. Keep us posted on how you are making out. There are specific chemo threads for ladies starting chemo in specific months. Let me know what your MO is suggesting, and I'll help you find the thread. Lots of (((Hugs))) Rose

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475
    Options

Grimbol,

Of everything they gave me  in treatment Herceptin has been the easiest.  I used to get a runny nose from it but that hasn't happened the last few treatments.

• 5babiesmommy
    5babiesmommy Member Posts: 5
    Options

Slainte and bring on the chemo..

Sorry I didn't get a notification to this..:-/

Anyway I'm on #9 this Wednesday and yes it is cumalative lol BUT I still can't really complain alot cause I've heard worse while on taxol but for me it's still just the usual what I like to explain as electric jolts(body aches and pains) but nothing ibuprofen hasn't taken care of thankfully! I'm not sure if its the taxol OR herceptin but my back hurts every week after an infusion and I only get about a day or two of no back pain before it starts again ,anybody else have back pain w these drugs?

Bringonthechemo are you in a clinical trial ? I asked this question also but they told me it wasnt a trial so I'm gonna ask my onc this week if this is fairly new..hmm. Wish you all the best of luck!!

• rochelleanderson
    rochelleanderson Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi ladies, I'm ne w to this... this site and cancer, the works! I'll be starting treatments this week and have been poking around this site, thought I'd introduce myself.

• GraceAnn
    GraceAnn Member Posts: 1
    Options

I'm ER-, PR- Her2+ (overexpressed) and am still on Herceptin. Clear scans the past year (formerly stage IV with mets to liver and multiple lymph nodes). I thank God for each new day and ask Him often how He wants to use me and what it is I still need to learn and overcome. Blessings to all! 

• Grimbol
    Options

Thanks for the responses, appreciate you all.  I see the onc dr. on Wednesday.  From everything I have read now I guess I should be ready for them to tell me chemo too.  Do you actually get to the point of adjusting to the dx?  I'm not there yet for sure.  Well, I'll post again when i know what they plan.

• cmaxhaney
    cmaxhaney Member Posts: 3
    Options

hello

I have enjoyed browsing these discussions and have found them very helpful, I am currently going through chemo, have completed AC x 4, staring Taxol and Hercepton, am a bit nervous about side effects as I had a lot of nauseau with AC.

Thank you for the many inspirational words and tips and information.

• nevo84
    nevo84 Member Posts: 55
    Options

Dear cmazhaney

Taxol and Herceptin is very very easier than AC. My mom suffered from AC alot but taxol and Hercepin is very easier. For my mom it has no side effects but a little bone pain which is so bearable compared to AC. Don't be panicked and I hope it'll work for you the same with the least side effects.