Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Does Arimidex prevent mets at all?

Options

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited May 2011
    Options

I have been on it since March 1st. My hot flashes (all at night) came on during chemo. I don't think Anastrozole ever gave me hot flashes. I think I've been san's flashes for at least a month if not longer.

I saw my gyn today. He explained that some people just do OK with less estrogen and don't get many SE. I guess I'm lucky. Lets just hope it doesn't beat up my bones etc. He did say if my bone density is effected it will go down slowly so they can do something about it before it becomes a problem.

I think it's best to hear what your onc says about the benefits of Als. I'm sure s/he can give you the most recent studies.

• Fearless_One
    Fearless_One Member Posts: 905
    edited May 2011
    Options

That's good you have no SE's.   Don't get me wrong - I would gladly accept osteo, hot flashes, etc - if it meant I was reducing my risk of mets.   I only question to what extent I am really doing that.   But like you, I will continue to take them - better safe than sorry.   I just wish I could know for certain that I was doing the right thing in light of other problems the pills may cause.

• lago
    edited May 2011
    Options

Fearless I know our onc feel they wish they knew for sure with all the treatments too. I know my onc said to me that 40 women out of 100 with my diagnosis don't need any additional treatment. She said if they knew who those women were they wouldn't be giving them all this chemo/meds.

Maybe some day they will know. Oncotype testing for every type of cancer would be nice.

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited May 2011
    Options

fearless-  These are tough decisions and there are no guarantees,  but then there are no guarantees in life, period.  Just because we got BC doesn't mean we will die from it.  Just because someone doesn't get BC, doesn't mean they are going to live a long, healthy life.  Research the best you can and then go with your gut.  I wish you the best luck.

• Fearless_One
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks - for now I will continue to take them.   I will just see how it goes in time and keep getting bone density tests.   I have a family history of bad tickers, so I want them to moniter my heart, as well.

• nikola
    nikola Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2011
    Options

According to my onc after oophorectomy there is up to 10% benefits from AI and 40-50% benefits with exercise and diet. After chemo and oophorectomy my risk is around 8%, since 10% risk reduction from 8% is not much I am still on the fence should I start with AI or not.

• lago
    edited May 2011
    Options

nikola my thought is try it and see. If you don't get any major SE then why not go for the extra 8%… unless you have some real health concerns.

I spoke with my gyn yesterday about my concern regarding osteoporosis. He said that is happens gradually. As long as we are watching (will be getting another bone scan next year) I'm not as concerned. But my personal risk factor is my bones.

• nikola
    edited May 2011
    Options

My benefit with AI would be 10% of 8% so it would really be 0.8%.

I started with 25% with only surgery, down to 16% with chemo, down to 8% with Tamox or oophorectomy (I had oophorectomy).

But, lago, you are right, maybe I should try and see if I would have any SE.

• Fearless_One
    edited May 2011
    Options

Yeah, for 0.8%, I wouldn't be sure, either.   Mine said 50% (of 15%), which would reduce my risk by 7.5%, so I think that is pretty significant so I take the pills.

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    edited May 2011
    Options

I am curious as to how many supplemental drugs people are taking to offset the SEs of Armidex....whether it be for the bones, or depression, pain, etc. I have talked to a couple of women who need nothing added, but the majority seem to be on long term meds to counteract the SEs. My personal experience was so bad that I had no choice but to stop it, but am aware that if things change, I may need to try another. Despite the NCCN guidelines stating that it really is a personal choice at my stage grade type etc, I still don't like the idea of going without anything so I do the supplements of DIM, etc for my own peace of mind but my onc has agreed to do the full panel blood tests every three months just to watch for oddities that stick out. I have had to stop all in preparation for my upcoming nipple surgery due to increased bleed factor and I sure can feel the hormones rushing in...very odd...more emotional, more however I was like pre menopause. Anyway, it is just as important in my mind to keep an eye on the iron and D levels as well- they are one of those commonalities in many with BC. In retrospect I was found to have very low D levels and a couple of years ago docs were stumped by my high iron levels...despite me having long hard periods.

I had a good, if not great ONCODX level of 6- which really made me happy until later reading of it showed the test is only against a panel of 600 or so women....argh....it is a nascent test....when you read the physician version of the NCCN guideline it is eye opening in how much the supposition of it all is discussed.

We all have to research and learn to make these decisions. I could no more tell someone not to take something than I could say they must. The further stage or grade a cancer is it seems more clear cut in viable results to a point...I say to a point because again, I start reading all of the footnotes to the studies and they freak me out by what is excluded and things of that nature.  I don't believe it is a conspiracy in any event...it just sucks as it is still so much guessing and a lot of it just comes down to our own genetic makeup.

• Fearless_One
    edited May 2011
    Options

Annette, that is an excellent point.   I refuse to take anti-depressants because of hot flashes (I hear this is what is commonly given for this).   I think they are serious drugs and I would not take an anti-depressant for anything other than depression.   I don't like the idea of possible having to go on HBP meds if my BP goes up or Boniva if my bones start getting weak.

But at the end of the day, that stuff is nothing compared to cancer, so I continue on as a good patient and take my meds...

• annettek
    edited May 2011
    Options

fearless....I totally agree, this is where medicine is and at this point, it is the only viable option out there with any hope of staving it off and if you are tolerating it then that is fantastic...(as I said, my choices would be different if my stage was...that is no joke- I truly get angry when some urge others to dump the AIs...not that we aren't all at risk to some degree no matter what our stage is, but it is one thing for me at an early stage to have more wiggle room and another at a totally different stage to be told by me how stupid or wrong they are for taking the meds...it is so wrong. All we should do is share our experiences and be sure to include our stats- apples to apples.

Now, on somethings like depression, etc...I won't hesitate to say hey...it is proven that walking thirty minutes a day can have same or better effect than an antidepressant...which aren't evil in themselves but were only intended to be taken for a max of 90 days to allow the brain to calm down enough to get the person open to changing lifestyle, choices, etc...but in today's world people are prescribed them like aspirin, when indeed they do change our brain chemicals (again, for some this is needed-but not nearly as many people as who are prescribed them) Part of it is our society's fault..we want a pill to make it better...hell, I wish there was one that made eveything better like this cellulitebutt of mine hahaha  hugs and pulling for the best for you my friend

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited May 2011
    Options
    annettek - What does 'nascent test' mean?  I didn't know it was only a panel of 600.  I didn't have it done and was always curious about it. 
  • lago
    edited May 2011
    Options

annettek you'll hate me but the only meds I'm on right now is Herceptin (ending in September) very small amount of diuretic (1/2 pill that I will start to go off slowly next week) and Anastrozole. I do take suppliments like D, Calcium etc. but no other meds, prescribed or OTC. I also no longer have hot flashes… at least I don't remember having any in the last month or so.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2011
    Options

I don't take any medication to combat SEs of anastrazole either.  I do take supplements, and I take aspirin, but that is because it has been shown to be associated with a lower risk of recurrence in observational studies.

I do a lot of exercise, including endurance cycling events.  I ski in the winter.  I have normal bone density.

I am a bit achier than I was prior to Taxol, but not really a problem.  I keep ibuprofen in my cycling pack, as I sometimes need it. I took two tablets prior to doing a 50 mile cycling event last Saturday.

My pre-diagnosis energy is back.  I sleep just fine.  I have minimal hot flashes, most of which are caused by red wine.

I am grateful to have AIs available.  You can see the improvement in the survival statistics as each therapy is added to the arsenal of treatments.

I would counsel anyone who has AIs as part of their therapy to assume that they will feel fine until proven otherwise.  Based on what I read here, I was apprehensive when I popped that first pill.  It all proved to be unfounded. - Claire

• annettek
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oh Lago, why on earth do you think I would hate you for not needing more medications? That is exactly NOT what I said...I am THRILLED when folks can take a medicine like this and NOT need anything else to combat the SEs. Same goes with you Claire...it makes me so happy and hopeful, for others and myself if I find myself in the place of needing to consider taking one again,. In fact, it was others stories of not having severe SEs that led me to trying it after much internal debate.

When I go to the international Bio conference at the end of June in DC you can surely bet I am making a beeline for the researchers developing all of these type drugs to find out more. I have found in year's past that the actual researchers who develop drugs are among the smartest and most dedicated folks on the planet ...I have NEVER met one from any pharma or bio company that said "Gee let's develop a drug that hurts people so we can keep them sick and needing more drugs" I learn from them every year I go to the conference and this year will be more intense as I have a much more personal interest. Alongside the commercial companies are the various government agencies (including National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institue) and the access to talk to them about what is existing and what they are working on is thrilling to me. And down to a scientist I have found them honest in their opinions about medications. The one constant has always been not to every try a lifestyle drug (say, like Chantix for quitting smoking) until it has been on the market at least five years as opposed to a liveSAVING drug, which one should seriously consider DESPITE the SEs. I remember when Chantix first came out and talking with member sof the development team from Pfizer...I asked one of them "to hook me up" and one shook his head and said, "try something else for now, we have some issues that just aren't worth risk at this point, in fact we have to black box it soon"....and sure enough it was several weeks later as to the side effects. Now did this mean they purposely added SEs to hurt people? Of course not, it simply meant there were flaws and kinks to be worked out and refined but the drug had been approved and put on the market. Now Pfizer is working with GSK and combining Chantix with an anti-depressant to offset the mental impact of the Chantix in hopes of the combo working...neither company is thrilled to have to pair the two but recognize the need-these trials are all being held at major medial centers (including MD Anderson here in Houston-where an onc discovered the two might work-he was driven to the research as he was trying to help lung cancer patients find an immediate/quicker way of quitting smoking and stumbled upon the combo). All of the researchers emphasize no matter what a malady is to take care of one's self with excercise, diet, etc. Not necessarily a cure but common sense. It is also where I learned the fallacy of how just because something is called "natural" does not equate safety or the fact that they can be very dangerous in their own right. I am aware that any supplements I try are NOT proven and I am cautious to get my doseages and formulation data direct from NIH sponsored clnical trials.

It is such an inflammatory topic since it is all so personal and literally a matter of life and death, which is why I very carefully worded my own opinion and my experience. I have always believed the best patient is one who is informed and open and cognizant of understanding the facts about their own diagnosis and talking with their docs. I shudder when I hear anyone here or anywhere else state something as a fact rather than their own experience along with their own stats and telling someone that their way is the only way. It is wrong and dangerous.

Omaz- nacsent means new, early or emerging. that's all. It is neither bad nor good, just evolving.

• lago
    edited May 2011
    Options
    annettek it's sarcasm. C'mon you've seen me post enough to know my sarcastic humor. Of course I didn't think you'd hate me. Tongue out
  • nikola
    edited May 2011
    Options

fearless, it is big discrepancy between your onc and mine. Mine said 10%, yours said 50% risk reduction after oophorectomy. I noticed you had two nodes positive, but still t is big difference. Now, I am wandering if my onc is too relaxed.

Problem is my gut feeling is telling me not to take it. I did not have any second thoughts with deciding to go for double mastectomy or oophorectomy.

• Fearless_One
    edited May 2011
    Options

I suppose our oncs share different opinions, as our circumstances and stages were different.  

I have that odd feeling that you do, though.   And I didn't feel that way about any of my other treatments or surgeries.

• Fearless_One
    edited May 2011
    Options

I think I will go on adjuvantonline tonight and compare AI's effectiveness with oopherectomy vs. AI's without and see if there is a negligable difference.

• nikola
    edited May 2011
    Options

In my case there was no difference and that was why I questioned my onc.

• annettek
    edited May 2011
    Options

Phew (thank goodness:) hahaha I just wanted tomake sure....you're my bud:)

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited May 2011
    Options

fearless-  I  think it will be hard to find true data on adjunctonline or elsewhere on AIs with and without oopherectomys.  Patients  must be in menopause in order to take AIs (or they can actually make you produce more estrogen I think).  So, probably all women on AIs are menopausal naturally or with Lupron shots or with oopherectomy. 

• nikola
    edited May 2011
    Options

Actually on adjuvant on line there is an option for oophorectomy and oophorectomy with AI.

• Fearless_One
    edited May 2011
    Options

I tried it, but it won't let me on - I don't have "Javascript", whatever that is.   How do I enable it?

• lago
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Fearless what browser are you using? Once you know then do a search on google: enable javascript, browser name
  • Fearless_One
    edited May 2011
    Options

Lago, I looked it up, and I have IE 7 and it does show java is enabled.   Adjuvantonline is still saying it's not.   I don't understand.   I only know it's enabled on my computer.

• lago
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Fearless_One maybe you need to upgrade to IE 8 or try using Firefox.
  • LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304
    edited May 2011
    Options

How do you guys get on Adjuvant Online, it says you need to be a medical professional and I'm not, even though it seems like I've spent most of the last 1+ year in medical facilities - Wink

I just checked out lifemath.net/cancer/breast cancer and ran the numbers with and w/o AI, it said I had a 35% chance of recurrence w/o and a 20% chance with AI's.  That seems like quite a difference!  The only problem is that it didn't have the TCH regiman on it, it didn't have herceptin at all as an option.  My onc told me with all the treatments that I received I had only a 10% chance of recurrence, that is if I manage to stay on the AI.

• lago
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Linda I haven't checked out Adjuvant Online but I know there are a few Dr. Avacados and Dr. Pomegranates signed. Yes people "fake" being an MD to register.