Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stringy things in drains?!?!

Options
iammommy
iammommy Member Posts: 23

Ok, visiting nurse said it's ok, but did anybody else have these white, or bloody things in their drain tubes? I was really freaked out this morning. They appeared overnight. I'm trying really hard to believe the nurse that it's ok. LOL luckily I see my surgeon tomorrow. Nan

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited May 2011
    Options

It's OKAY!!! Not to worry. I know it looks like your insides are coming out in spaghetti-like strands, but it's just the way you are healing. It's just harder to keep the drains from blocking so make sure you milk them well. Good luck!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited May 2011
    Options

I had them too!  Like barbe said, it is just your body removing loose tissue and part of the healing process.  

• cinnamonsmiles
    cinnamonsmiles Member Posts: 67
    edited May 2011
    Options

I had a few stringy reddish looking pieces in my drains occasionally too. I also had small red pieces of tissue at times as well. The surgeon saw it all and was not concerned.

• shannonW
    shannonW Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2011
    Options

Yep, me too! Thought is was strange too and worried they left something inside that wasn't supposed to be there. Nothing wrongs, normal stuff!

• iammommy
    edited May 2011
    Options

Cindy, thanks. How do i milk these tubes? They're really rigid. You can't pinch themflat at all. It's a jackson-Pratt drain. Nan

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited May 2011
    Options

Yes I had gross stringy things too.

You don't milk the bulbs you milk the tubes. Check this out: http://www.drugs.com/cg/jackson-pratt-drain-care.html

• iammommy
    edited May 2011
    Options

Mine isnt the bulb tye drain. Its a flat disk you pop open a tab, pour out the contents, then squeeze it shut and replug to create suction. The tubes going into my body are thin enough to pinch and milk, but part way down theres a connector to thick tubes you can't pinch.

• iammommy
    edited May 2011
    Options

Britchick. Thnx for the video. My drain is different. The tubes are very rigid and cant be compressed. Im hoping when i empty the drains in a few hours the clots will go through. At least i'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow. I wonder why my drains r different than everybody else's drains?! LOL

• iammommy
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hmmm. No, I don't think I had any unusual blood loss. I have no idea why he used this type of drain. Yes, i can strip part way down. Thanks for the info! You ladies r the best.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited May 2011
    Options

To me it seems that you only have to milk until you get to the larger rigid tubes, then let them do the flush.