Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Asymmetry found in left breast....please help!

Options
kittycat1971
kittycat1971 Member Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone. My name is Karen and I just turned 40 years old.  Anyway, long story short I had my 40 year old routine screening mammogram the other day and they called me today to tell me that they found "asymmetry in upper outer quadrant of my left breast".  I am now completely out of my mind with fear.  I have been researching on the internet what exactly this means(which I probably shouldn't) and I am more confused and upset then ever.  I am going back Friday for additional mammography.  Has anyone ever had this diagnosis on a radiology report before?  What did it mean for you?  Any and all responses will be helpful.  I did speak to my OB and he went on to say he has seen this a lot and they did not see any kind of mass so he is not overly concerned but I'm a wreck.  thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• mfb218
    mfb218 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    Options

I've had the same "diagnosis"...for me is simply meant that there was stuff that was thicker (more dense) in one area of my breast that the other breast didn't have.  I'm sure there are more intelligent responses that will come.  I still have it in my right side as well and they just watch it a little closer to make sure no lumps or calcifications form.  Just keep staying positive and take one day at a time.  You will get through this.

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze Member Posts: 250
    edited June 2011
    Options

Asymmetry can be anything.  A cyst, or just denser breast tissue.  Don't worry, it's probably nothing.

My first mammogram on my remaining breast came back with an asymmetry.  I figured, well, sure, with my history, the cancer is now in my other breast.

It was just a cyst.

It's not a very meaningful word in cancer-land so really, try to relax. 

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi - I have focal asymmetry, as well, on my left side - with increasing density in two spots.  I had a ductal excision on that side, as well as calcs popping up - it's just not healthy like the right side which is is crystal clear.  That is the asymmetry - our breasts are pretty much mirror images of each other, so when one is exhibiting different density, that is the asymmetry part.  My left breast is now 50-75% dense, right is less than 10% dense.  As we get older, our breasts are supposed to decrease in density. 

They will do a diagnostic mammo that flattens out the breast (literally and on the picture) - the will look for distortions, which could mean obscured lumps. If they don't see anything, the radiologist will say it "flattened out" which means no lumps *that they can see*.  The problem is mammos are not perfect for dense spots.  So typically they will say "BIRADS 3", probably benign, and come back in 6 months for a relook.  An MRI is much better, if you can get one. It will look right inside the dense areas. 

Keep us posted! There is also a "dense breast" thread in the "high risk" board here in the not diagnoses area -you should check out. 

• kittycat1971
    edited June 2011
    Options

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I am scheduled today at 1:30 for additional mammogram films of my left breast.  It has been a tough few days.  I think I saw a post about how horrible the waiting is and I couldn't agree more.  I have been a wreck!  Again, thanks for responding to my post. 

• Unknown
    edited June 2011
    Options

hi kittycat1971- i am going through the exact same thing as you right now!! i'm 46, this was my first mammo ( i know, a little late). got called back for asymetric left breast tissued. Had compression mammo, ultrasound, and still unconclusive. Next i have to do an MRI. my mom was just diagnosed with breast cancer a month ago so i'm a bit nervous. how did you make out?

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi MissyDawn, please let me know how your MRI turns out. I have been fighting for one with no luck (military medical system and a bit stingy) - would like to know what is going on in my dense areas....

Hope your mom is doing ok, I know you are worried about her and now worried about you, too. 

• Unknown
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi Carpediem1965,

I will let you know how MRI turns out. I am scheduled for this Friday, the 8th. But like you said the insurance is such a hold up. I should say i am tentatively scheduled, it all depends how quickly my gyn office can get approval from ins. company. If i have to cancel friday, i will have to wait another month, as you have to schedule this test between your 6-16 day of your cylce.

very anxious to get it done and find out if there is anything inside this dense tissue. like you , i also have two spots in left breast. Radiologist feels its fiberglanduar but won't sign off till he can see through the density. guess he's just being thorough.

I really hope you can somehow get an MRI for yourself!! Do you think it is possible??  I know they are expensive.

thank you for asking about my mom; she's doing good but i think has a long road ahead of her. Unfortunately, she is one of those "old school" ppl who knew something was going on but ignored it. Never was she a doctor person. Well, let me tell you, she is getting her fill of dr's now!!

let me know about your mri situation!

• Unknown
    edited July 2011
    Options

kittycat1971, how did you do with your additional mammogram??

• kittycat1971
    edited July 2013
    Options

Wow...I can't believe I found my old post from two years ago! It's 2 years to late but I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. After I had my f/u I got an all clear but here I am again 2 yrs later going through this yet again. I am headed back this afternoon for additional testing and am a complete wreck (yet again). This time they see additional focal density that was not seen in my June 2012 mammogram. Spoke w/the nurse in my ob's office who tried to reassure me but it is not helping much. When I got the all clear back in 2011 they told me that since they switched to digital mammography they saw changes that they would not have seen using their old system. This time though, the same reasoning cannot be used. I am trying to hold myself together but not doing such a great job.

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2013
    Options

Kitty, get a copy of the radiologist report. We can help you understand better in layman's terms what they are seeing

• bellerose
    bellerose Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    Options

I just received the same news today and I have to go back in on Friday to have more images taken. I'm totally freaking out and no matter what the nurse said didn't help put my mind at ease. Kitty please let me know what they said. I need any good news about this. 

• Uey2
    Uey2 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Options

I just got the call about thirty minutes ago and I too am freaking out. I just had a Colonoscopy where they found four polyps and Rectocele Repair surgery last Friday and now this. You would think that after looking up Rectocele repair on the internet that I wouldn't do it this time but curiosity has bitten me once again. I have heard of the word "Asymmetry" but never really knew it's meaning. I'm glad I saw these postings so I am a little more calm but not relieved. So I have an appointment next week for a sonagram I believe and something else they said. I guess when it rains, it really does pour.

I think I understand why that actress decided to have them chopped off. If I didn't have them, that would be one less thing I'd have to worry about. Can you tell that I am feeling really depresssed and angry right now? Since I hit my 50's, my body is breaking down. So let's see, an Asymmetry breast (new), Rectocele (fixed), mild Cystocele (pending), Type 2 diabetes (controlled), Hyperthyroidism (controlled), and high cholosterol (controlled)...I dare not ask the obvious question.

• Uey2
    Uey2 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Options

I was wondering what the outcome was of your Friday visit that you mentioned here? I made an entry but no one has been on here that I know of. My appointment is on the 8th of Oct.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited October 2013
    Options

Uey, it is pretty safe to say that most of them who are going through testing and didn't post again got benign results and got on with their lives.

• kittycat1971
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi everyone. Uey, I am so sorry it took me so long to get back to you with my results. Wound up going back and having additonal images of my left breast taken along with an ultrasound. According to my report I am now at Birads3, no sign malignancy but come back in 6 months to be sure. Having read a bit on some of the horrible, intense circumstances many ladies on this board are dealing with I know I should feel relief but quite frankly, this latest scare has affected me more than I could have imagined. I am at the point where I think I need to speak with someone professionally about how much this scare has jolted me. Every weird pain, or strange feeling I have in the area that was analyzed sends me in to a tailspin. Ugh....don't know how I'll deal with my f/u. I hope you are doing well and please post when you get a chance. Thank you for everyone who has commented on my post.

• Catbalou
    Catbalou Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Options

I'm 53 years old mammo a month ago showed asymmetrical density left upper breast. Then had spot compression that showed persistent architectural distoration. Ultrasound didn't correlate the finding. So told to have 6 month follow up left mammo. Not sure how comfortable I am with that. Isn't biopsy only way to know.

• natalieallen1964
    natalieallen1964 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2016
    Options

Waiting for an appointment at the breast clinic. Asymmetry diagnosis Jan.20, 2016. Just want to get whatever needs to be done and over with. I know God is able. Putting all my worries in His hands. Not quite sure what to expect.

natalieallen1964