All about Xeloda

Comments

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited July 2020

Does anyone take their daily vitamins at same time as Xeloda?

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,528
    edited July 2020

Sandi-I read on an X forum on Facebook to take our vitamins at lunch time-4 hours after our morning Xeloda. Makes sense, since my Centrum vitamins have Folic Acid and we can't take extra Folic with X. My pharmacist said it is okay to take a vitamin with Folic, but no extra supplement.

I asked my onc nurse to test my Folic, and my levels are fine. She said to NOT order the special (very expensive) vitamins without Folic on Amazon, since Folic Acid levels are crucial and we should not eliminate it in vitamins.

• sandibeach57
    edited July 2020

Hi Denny123, The specialty pharmacist did not tell me about the extra folic acid..learned about it here.

The specialty pharmacist did tell me to stop the Prolia injection that I take for osteoporosis. My MO is switching me to IV Zometa/3 months.

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited July 2020

I was wondering about the timing of taking my non-cancer meds and supplements. The specialty pharmacist said what I'm taking will not interact with X, but never mentioned anything about folate. I get Xgeva shots, too, but no one ever mentioned any problem there either; interesting.

• denny123
    edited July 2020

Sandi-why were you told to stop Prolia??? I am healing from another broken rib, and have broken my ribs 4 times in 3 years (for NO reason). They just break.

So I called my onc this week and asked if I could take Zometa or Xgeva and he won't let me switch from Prolia.

I just heard a TV ad that said that Prolia can cause bones to break in unusual places, so I was going to ask again about it.

My breaks did start before I went on Xeloda, though.

Do you have bone mets like Bliss does?

• denny123
    edited July 2020

Bliss-I found this. Xgeva is the same thing as Prolia... But it doesn't say anything about bone breakage....

1. Drugs A to Z

Print Share

Drug Interactions between capecitabine and Xgeva

This report displays the potential drug interactions for the following 2 drugs:

• capecitabine
    • Xgeva (denosumab)

Edit list (add/remove drugs)

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

capecitabine denosumab

Applies to: capecitabine and Xgeva (denosumab)

Using denosumab together with capecitabine can increase the risk of serious infections involving the skin, lower stomach area (abdomen), bladder, ear, or inner lining of the heart. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. Contact your doctor immediately if you develop fever or chills; red, swollen skin or skin that is hot or tender to the touch; itching or rash; blisters; severe abdominal pain; or frequent, urgent, or painful/burning urination. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

• Bliss58
    edited July 2020

Wow, Denny123. Thanks for that information. I'll bring it up to my MO next week when I see her. Yesterday, I developed a red patch on my left forearm, but I think some bug bit me during the night, a spider maybe, rather than an X SE. It's gone now. I think I read on the Xgeva thread that it can cause a weird femur break after long-term use of more than 5 yrs.

• sandibeach57
    edited July 2020

Hi Denny, I never questioned why I couldn't take Prolia shot while on Xeloda. My MO must have looked up the same drug concern. She just said we would switch to Zometa.

I have osteoporosis that is why I am on the bone med. Although my 2016 CT scans kept reading T12, sclerotic. My MO said maybe, maybe not..since what was viewed as sclerotic we never addressed again.

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited July 2020

//www.drugs.com/zometa.html Sandi-----here's a link for zomata. Do NOT take with aspirin, And it can cause kidney damage

• sandibeach57
    edited July 2020

Thank you Snooky for that link!

I have had osteoporosis for many years (inherited issue) and have been on some form of treatment prior to liver met dx. My MO thinks the alendronate plus long distance running kept my bones inhospitable to cancer. Although there was that T12 sclerotic area on my scan in 2016.. I just assumed it was healing from osteoporosis. My MO has never indicated I had both liver and bone mets. She said tx choice wouldn't have changed.

• denny123
    edited July 2020

Thanks ladies! I am going to call my specialty pharmacist tomorrow to check again. They always check interactions with Xeloda for me.

I have been on bisphosphonates for 21 years for my osteoporosis.

My onc said that he has never prescribed Zometa for osteoporosis.

All that I can think of that causes my rib breakage is from carrying around half-buckets of water for my flowers and shrubs, or hauling a hose to water them. That is ridiculous, since I don't really do anything heavy.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    edited July 2020

Wow this thread move fast !

Thanks denny123, a mine of information, congratulations on being a 18 1/2 cancer survivor

I have now read the last 20 pages, I recognise some names from the Ibrance thread, it looks as if these pages are just as supportive.

Good wishes to all.

• Bliss58
    edited July 2020

Denny123, sorry for your rib breakages. Ouch.

SandiBeach, when I was on Zometa for 2 yrs, the nurse always gave me infused fluids afterwards telling me it was because the drug is hard on the kidneys. They always encouraged fluids before, during and after. I never had kidney problems.

• denny123
    edited July 2020

Thanks Denny. My real name is Denise.

I used to use it when I joined this site over 18 years ago. We had chat lines going. But it turned out that everything that we said was searchable via Google, including my whole real name. So I changed it to my present alias.

• ninaca
    ninaca Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2020

Hi - I'm new to the Xeloda list. I just finished my fourth cycle of Xeloda with good tumor marker results (they dropped 250 points!), will have pet scan tomorrow. Xeloda-1500 mg twice a day total six 500 MG pills), 2 weeks on 1 week off, and I feel I'm on the right track now. My doc said the dosage was weight related. I've seen many other dosages on this list so far. He's willing to modify the dosage because of side effects but I'm determined to get the most out of the medication and will suffer and soothe the side effects best I can.

I'm 73 now and I had a liver met originally in 2002 (BC in 1998) but it went into remission with femara for many years. It returned in 2015 just in time for newly released Ibrance/faslodex which worked until December 2019 (I also had RFA/liver resection in 2016 after some shrinkage). In Dec. 2019 the liver mets came back in 2 places on my liver AND I had to have laparoscopic surgery to my ileum (small intestine) because of a MBC tumor affecting the outside of my small intestine. A PET scan, not my CT, also discovered rectal wall MBC. AT the moment this MBC condition to my intestines is rarely found in literature, not noted as a place where breast cancer can go. I'm unusual. After a 3 month failure with Aromasin I was put on Xeloda- best oral chemo drug around so as to avoid hospitals in this covid era.

The best suggestion I got for side effects, not listed in SandiBeaches response, was a moisturizing cream called Atrac-Tain by Colopast (I got on Amazon). I swear by it and ice slippers or a baggie of ice when uncomfortable hand foot stuff. Creams with UREA in it are excellent for this task. Another non-greasy cream is called Pedinol-Ureacin-20. Both are less greasy than Aquafor, which I also use occasionally, but I don't need socks to keep the grease from getting on other things.

My side effects so far are the usual and unusual (do I ask MO, do I ask PCP-all by email, phone or video conference these days). I've had a few blisters on the tip or top of my toes (big and ugly) which an MO said not sure if it's Xeloda related, I say YES. And an EYE problem, with gooey stuff in eye throughout the day and some tearing. I never did get to the eye clinic for help but as a last ditch effort on my own I tried CLARITIN, a non-drowsy anti-histamine which worked within 24 hours. I never had airborne allergies before so is it Xeloda related (just being more sensitive overall to the environment)? Luckily most of my side effects take place at the end of my cycle so I can get a week off to get back to normal.

Wow. This was a long letter. Stay safe and best of health for ALL ! NinaCA

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,336
    edited July 2020

Hi Nina. Thanks for the suggestions. I am mid-way through my second cycle and so far things are manageable. Take care.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421
    edited July 2020

Hi denny123, denise is my middle name, I had trouble logging in with my first name.!!

I now have results of all my latest tests, I start Xeloda at the beginning of August, awaiting healing after some palliative radiotherapy.

• sandibeach57
    edited July 2020

Denny123. I am so glad you questioned why the Specialty pharmacist discouraged no prolia injections while on Xeloda. My MO had no problem switching..since it was to address my osteoporosis, not for bone mets.

I called the specialty pharmacy (stole your idea) and spoke with a different pharmacist. She said it was their job to let us know all concerns when combining prolia with capecitabine. Prolia has a slight risk of causing increased immune problems. And basically it was to alert your MO if you have problems with increased fevers, coughs, colds..anything that reflects compromised immunity. She said it would be the same if on Xgeva or Zometa. Their advice was never the intention to remove/replace either drug (prolia-xeloda)..just to alert and be aware.

So I will ask my MO to restart my Prolia injection!

• denny123
    edited July 2020

Hi Nina! Welcome and boy have you gone through a lot! I sure hope that Xeloda works for you!

Denny10--LOL that this place didn't let you log in. Too many of us??

Sandi-glad that you wrote since I forgot to call my pharmacist. That sounds better, so I will try to figure out what the heck I am doing wrong to break my ribs!

• Bliss58
    edited July 2020

Hi Nina, and welcome! Hoping Xeloda will work for you; I'm hoping the same for me. I've completed 5 days of my first cycle. You and Denny123 give me so much hope for the length of time you've both been dealing with liver mets!

• denny123
    edited July 2020

Bliss-was Gemzar an option for your liver mets? I had it with Herceptin and they wiped out my numerous mets in 9 months. They have been gone since the end of 2004, TG. I did have to have a liver resection to get rid of the 9cm liver met.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,585
    edited July 2020

Hi gals,

Others have asked about products and here are the ones I use: these footies, tho I don't need to use them too often.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016X8DBVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• divinemrsm
    edited July 2020

These "cold therapy" socks with gel inserts are nice. I thought the color was a little geriatric but when I put them on, they look fine and are very soft and I like them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L4WOKG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• divinemrsm
    edited July 2020

Ah, yes, urea. I just discovered it. I don't know what it is but am happy with how it feels. I prefer it over Aquaphor. I got Udderly Smooth Extra Care Cream from Amazon because it's unscented and has 20% urea. It seems much more effective than Udder Cream without urea. My cuticles have been a little funky my whole adult life; rough, cracked, plus I pick at the skin around them. I just started using the new cream and my fingers and cuticles feel calmer. Smoother and less jaggedy and I'm not picking at them. I had some peeling of skin on my index fingers and that seems to be subsiding. I hope it continues and I don't build up a resistance to it. I also use on feet and seems effective which is why I don't need the heel gels as much. There are a lot of reviews for the product that mention people on chemo with extremely dry skin who like this product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D86VL1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• lizo1
    lizo1 Member Posts: 94
    edited July 2020

I see others mentioning Zometa. Liz just had her 3 month Zometa yesterday. She is no longer taking Xeloda but she did Zometa every 3 months for the 18 months that she was taking Xeloda.

I hope everyone is well.

Grant.

• Bliss58
    edited July 2020

Denny123, MO never mentioned Gemzar to me, but that's awesome it worked so well for you. Thanks for that information. Another question for MO when I see her on Friday!

Divine, I got the heel gel pads, but thanks for providing the other two product links. MO's PA told me to get a cream with urea. I was trying to find it locally, but couldn't so I'll just order these now from Amazon. The socks look comfy. I mentioned the heel gel pads to her and she wanted more info because she has a problem with cracked heels even without cancer.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,336
    edited July 2020

Bliss, my MO recommended cream with urea and the gel socks. They work well as I have not had any problems yet. Today I woke up dizzy and have had "Big D" problems all day. I will call in the morning if I don't feel better tomorrow. Sometimes I have a random day like this so I want to make sure it doesn't resolve on its own.

• Bliss58
    edited July 2020

IntoLight, I ordered both these products tonight. Thanks for letting me know. Sure hope the D resolves and you're feeling better tomorrow.

• Andish
    Andish Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2020

Hi lizo1. youre wife is triple negative or hormone positive ??how many months she is been on xeloda ??

• lizo1
    lizo1 Member Posts: 94
    edited July 2020

Andish,

Liz was originally diagnosed in 2006 and was ER+.

She was good until November 2018 when it metastasized to bones, lungs and liver and it triple negative. Liz started Xeloda January 2019 and was responding well. Liver and lung mets have all shrunk and bone mets were responding. June 2020 they found new small mets in lung as well as a weird spot in her gluteus muscle. This prompted her MO to move her to bicaludamide.

Grant.