Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All about Xeloda

Options

Comments

• K-Lo
    K-Lo Member Posts: 826
    edited August 2011
    Options

Do they discourage you from changing eyeglass prescriptions since it may keep changing on chemo?

• TXGigi
    TXGigi Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2011
    Options

Regarding hair loss.  I have been on Xeloda for going on 20 months.  The other day I decided to give my hair a good combing before I went in the shower.  It was unbelievable how much hair I lost in that combing.  I have been upset since.  My hair grew back after Taxol but it grew back limp, lifeless and thin.  Now I am seeing thinning from the Xeloda. 

As far as freckles go I have a few on my hands.  But the other day I went to the dentist for a cleaning and he was SO UPSET about the inside of my mouth.  He showed it to me and I told him that it was freckles from my medication.  He did not believe me and sent me to a pathologist dentist who sent a report back that it was definitely a SE effect.

Oh well it is better to have the freckles in the inside of my cheeks rather than on the outside.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited August 2011
    Options

My TM went down from 256 to 183 after 2 rounds, but the onc. wants to see the pix....I can tell the tumor on my lung went down but the lymph node under my arm did not....

• Lynn1
    Lynn1 Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2011
    Options

Apple:  I had not thought of Epson Salts.  I will try that.  Thanks!

Kathy:  I haven't been using gloves at all yet.  I have some, but hadn't really needed them so far.  I guess I'll try tonight to sleep in them, but I bet I know how that will go -- not for very long!

TxGiGi:  Now that is the kind of news I want to hear....20 months you've been on this!!  Awesome!!  I hope I can stay on it that long too.  I'm sorry about your hair thinning though.  That really sucks.  :(

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited August 2011
    Options

Okay, I thought the stomach issues were supposed to be during my on-weeks?  What the heck?  I seem to be running to the bathroom a lot this week, ugh.

blondie - that is great news about the tumor markers!  I hope the scans reflect the change!!

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Uh oh the big D? I get it off and on and take immodium which does it. Off week feels better to me but never know when the big D will hit.

• Suze35
    edited August 2011
    Options
    K-Lo - yea, unfortunately the big D Frown.  I've had it the past two days, having to stick close to a bathroom really sucks.  It isn't bad enough for Immodium...or maybe it is.  I hate taking more pills.
  • TXGigi
    TXGigi Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2011
    Options

I tend to get "explosions" on my off week.  Not enough to take immodium.  I hate taking it cause when I do I don't "go" for days on end.  This is my on pills week.  Yesterday I had horrendous gas pains but nothing happened.  I don't know which is worse going or not.  LOL

I am just so friggin tired.  I get so tired I want to die.  I lay down and can't sleep.

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Member Posts: 678
    edited August 2011
    Options

I think I am on my 5th round and no sign of SEs.  My hands and feet are fine.  I have thrown up twice but could be due to food left out all day then served for dinner.  Will have to figure something else for Thursday nights.

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

I have taken 1/2 an ammonium to avoid overkill.

Dream, be careful with that food, now! You don't need more problems.

• blondiex46
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thanks there are no blood work for the bones but if the inside stuff slows down that works for me!!!

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Blondie, what do you mean you can tell the lung tumor went down? I have an armpit tumor, too.

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

DreamWriter,  No SEs after 5 rounds!?....you are going to be my role model.   I have not had any diarrhea episodes, but have lomotil left over from when I had C-Dif.  I think it works better and faster than Imodium. Even though this is my week off, I am still using the bag balm and gloves and socks. 

• blondiex46
    edited August 2011
    Options

The lung tumor went down the the airpit one that is the lymph nodes and they did;t go down...

• Suze35
    edited August 2011
    Options

I did end up taking a half an immodium - thanks for that tip K-Lo, it worked well!

Anyone else having dizziness/lightheadedness?  I know it is listed as a potential SE, but I also have issues with vertigo.  I had a clean brain MRI recently, so don't think it is that.  Could be the Avastin also.

blondie - yay for it working! 

Marybe - I haven't used any lotion/creams yet really, and have had no hand/foot issues.  Hopefully it holds true for you too!

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Suze, no I haven't had dizzy/lightheadedness w xeloda. In the past I have and I think it's cause my BP runs low. Does yours?

I've been having Lynns headaches today (1st day of 3rd cycle). And the usual sweats when I try to do something on my feet.

We did go birding this am in the heat tho, so maybe it's just housework that my body resists.

• Lynn1
    edited August 2011
    Options

I'm sorry you all are dealing with the big D.  Kathy, that was a great idea to only use half a pill!!  Hope everyone is feeling ok today!

TxGigi:  I hate it that you are so tired and cannot sleep.  That is very aggravating when you just want to sleep if off and can't.  I hope you get some good rest soon!  Have you tried taking anything...Tyelnol PM or something stronger?

Kathy:  sorry about the headaches!  They suck!  I hope you're feeling better today!

Ok, so let me just say that keeping on top of the se's from this one is like herding cats sometimes!!  I get the feet under control and the hands go off...get the hands back in order and there go the feet again.  I've taken to wearing the gloves at night now.  I put neosporin on the bad areas and slather on lotion everywhere else.  It has helped, but I've never made it a full night with the gloves on...at least part of the night is better than none at all I guess. 

I tried to open a container yesterday and now I have this place on my finger -- it's like if you were repeatedly doing something over and over and you get a "worn" place...I got it in 5 seconds.  *sigh*

I'm very anxious to talk to my onc tomorrow.  I want to know what his thinking is on the dose and schedule and all.  I've printed off the article on the 7/7 schedule and will give it to him and ask that he at least read and consider it.  I think he is going to schedule my next scans tomorrow too (if I remember correctly) and that is going to set up some major scanxiety since this will be my first scans since starting Xeloda.  Oh I hope they are good!!!!

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

In case we are not switching to the new thread "xeloda divas" which I would be happy to do, I just had to repost this really good news in my camp:

Oh, divas, I forgot to tell yaz: I will be OFF the flipping twice daily shots as of this Friday. Sooooo happy. (coumadin catching up). :D

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Lynn,  I will say my prayers that your get good scan results.   Kathy, are you doing coumadin or the generic Warfarin?  I am currently on 7.5 daily since last time my INR was only 1.4.....it changes every week.  Tomorrow I get blood work, but don't see anyone or have treatment.  I have to pick up my Xeloda refill and will be going back to taking that on Thurs.  Now I am going back to bed....just got up to check on the ill cat  and go to the bathroom.  

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Yes, Marybe, its generic. THREE MORE SHOTS! Tyvm! Do a little no-more-shots-dance!

• Lynn1
    edited August 2011
    Options

Woo hoo Kathy on getting to stop the shots!!!  Laughing

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hey, guys, this being my home base, I'm gonna ventilate. Ever since someone posted under at least 2 id's and tried to fool everyone, I'm suspicious of anyone who sounds like her. Have y'all had this happen a time or two?

• Suze35
    edited August 2011
    Options

Okay, not sure where to post Tongue out.

Lynn- I'm sorry you are still having issues with the HF stuff, and that your doctor wants to do scans so quickly.  On one hand, you'll know sooner if this is helping and can switch if need be, but on the other, why buy trouble, right?  I hope it works out for you!

Marybe - I hope your cat is feeling better!

K-Lo - I know there was a lot of crap going down a month or so ago, someone with multiple id's, etc., but she stayed off the IV board from what I can tell.  But yea, I do raise an eyebrow when I see a similar style of post... and that is great on no more shots!!!  Yay!

So my latest is my eyes - they are driving me crazy!!  They are so dry, and drops do nothing for me.  Ugh.  And my head is still fuzzy as heck - I can't describe it very well, but almost dizzy, not quite.  I have a brain MRI scheduled for the end of September along with a PET/CT, I am really hoping it is just the drugs.  I know Xeloda and Avastin can cause dizziness... My WBCs are starting to head south, and I'm only starting my 3rd round.  I hope that doesn't mean Neupogen down the line, boy I hate those shots. 

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Suze, I hope it doesn't mean nuelasta also.....I thought I had a bad case of the flu lst time I got one of those.  I don't know if I built up a tolerence for them or if taking claritin before and after really helped...sounds crazy, but a lot of women swear it works.

So today my INR was 4.9....the nurse goes Good God, what did you do?  I said nothing, they told me to take 7.5 every evening and that is what I did. She asked if I was having nose bleeds or bruising easily and I said No.  So they checked with a PA and I am to take none today and tomorrow and go back for another finger prick on Friday.

At one point in time it used to stay right where it was supposed to be and then they only needed to check it once a month.  Now, I think I need one of those little machines or else they need to give me a script to take to a lab while I am on vacation cuz I will be gone two weeks. 

I picked up my Xeloda so go back on that tomorrow. 

I can't imagine having more than one ID....I messed up on my password so many times with Yahoo I had to change it and now I forget that I changed it when I sign in so always have to try at least once.....if I can't keep track of one identity, I sure could not keep track of two or three.  The people who do that obviously must not be on chemo.  I thought the monitors said they were going to do something so people couldn't do that.

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hey, Marybe,

Yowza that's a big INR. They say the xeloda potentiates it, if that's the right word. Mine was 1.4 Monday and that was after a long week off (stopped early do to hfs). So with xeloda this week and lovenox, I guess I won't be having any clots!

Let me know any tips about getting the INR machine. I don't mind getting stuck at all, the hem-onc techs are very good. The trip in is going to get old every week. But, HE'LL NO, no complaints at all!!!!! I love coumadin!

Best to all, kathy

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

If your doctor can justify the need for it, sometimes the ins co will pay for it.  I have this patient who has one and he says they cost about $5,000....not cheap, BUT if  you are going in there every week to get it checked and I am sure they charge at least $100 to just do that little pick because it is billed as more than just an office visit so if you are doing that every week, that is $400 per month and times that by 12 and you would be using the machine for more than a year so it seems to me the ins co would save money in the long run.  But then again the insurance companies don't always use logic.  They wont pay for me to have cell searches any more....did I tell you that?....they would rather pay for a scan. I will investigate it and let you know.  As with everything they will probably come down in price....look at how cheap those gigantic tvs are now.   

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Very good point.

• K-Lo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hey I'm gonna count down. ONLY TWO MORE SHOTS!!! These suckers sting, baby.

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited August 2011
    Options

day one of my week off of Xeloda.. yay!

i feel great.. had a great rehearsal.. (i am an organist and pianist for this church group and took a few months off) Well, the music vultures soared and attempted to fill in.. actually they did a great job.. but my skills are intimidating so they are 'backing off'.  A couple of hotshot wannabe kids.  I am certainly open tho to nurturing talent and gladly give them a song or two to play.

Anyway.  K-Lo.. what are the shots?

btw the sockpuppets drove me bats for a while.  Why be who you are not?

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited August 2011
    Options

Suze the dry eyes are definitely a Xeloda thing.. either they are tearing or dry.  so very irritating..