Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Faslodex question

Chickadee
Chickadee Member Posts: 469

Does it make your urine smell like barnyard stall? This is the second loading shot before I go monthly and the smell is back. Yuck.

Comments

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited October 2011

No. I am stall-free here. Unpleasant...

*susan* 

• Chickadee
    edited October 2011

Checkup next Friday. I think I'll see if onc will check it out. Must be interacting with something else I take.

• dianaleo
    dianaleo Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2011

I always have that.  I get disgusted with myself.  It goes away within a week. I've seen many post about that smell.

• donnabee
    donnabee Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2011

laughing over here! Yes, it is bad. No, i never though of sharing that information with my wise sisters.

donna

• Chickadee
    edited October 2011

So I'm not crazy. Thanks ladies.

• dianaleo
    dianaleo Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2011

Gosh, the things and indelicate things we have to deal with!

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited October 2011

Gosh, I don't remember a bad smell .... Maybe there's something wrong with my nose!

• Chickadee
    edited October 2011

No there might be a particular reason that it happens to some and not others. Think I'll ask her to run a urinalysis just in case.

• H-LYNN
    H-LYNN Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011

Besides the urine smell, does it give your body an odor, escpecially, is the vagagay area???  I know gross..It goes away in a few days, but I dont like it.  I thought it was about the urine but I am curious about the over all unpleasant scent...Also, I am loosing my hair on my head and gaining facial hair...Oh what a treat!!

Please let me know..Thanks

• Helmie
    Helmie Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2011

never noticed a bad smell. Could it have something to do with what you eat or drink? Maybe the combination of some foods with the injections can cause this? I'm just thinking, because I'm a vegetarian. Hope you can figure it out.

Hugs,
    Helmie

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited October 2011

i have always had a certainly good nose.. i can identify foods by their bowel odor.  I liked Faslodex and do not remember a 'smell'.. just hold your nose and turn on the blower fan.. ha ha 

• 3rings
    3rings Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2011

I'm have noticed a smell as well, it's gone after the first week but YUKKK!  I just keep telling myself it's a small price to pay if it is working.  Do you get Zomenta?  I do, i was wondering if it was the combination.

• H-LYNN
    H-LYNN Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011

Ughhhh...So I asked my hubby...smell me my neck...No not bite it, smell it...He could not smell anything...I swear, I can....ugh!

I am on a 3 week schedule for zometa & avastin and 4 week for faslodex....Bless my heart, (SARCASM) I was able to have all 3 and yup still the same scent...As I say with every treatment, this better be working...Then I take a bigggggggggggg deep breathe and wait for the shot..

Ok, so the barn yard example is awesome and so true :( I would take the smell, if it was not for the pain...pain...pain...Ohhh I am cranky today...

Hugs to you all....

• sueco
    sueco Member Posts: 62
    edited October 2011

Definitely has to be related to Faslodex.  I notice the odor even two weeks after my shot.  I find myself bathing more often.  Very strange that a med could cause this.

• Chickadee
    edited October 2011

I wonder if there is connection with how hydrated we are and yes it lasts about 10 days - 2 weeks. My next one is a couple weeks off and I've been dealing with lots of trouble staying hydrated with all the barfing I've been through lately with radiation. We're getting that under control now with a phenergan shot per rad.

I'm on xgeva now, no more zometa, so I don't think zometa contributed.

As if we don't have enough indignities to deal with, I've got sharpie drawings all over my body for the rads and we have to smell bad too.....???

• lukejessesmom
    lukejessesmom Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2011

Just got my first Fasoldex & Xgeva yesterday and my urine definitely reeks of barnyard too! I'm glad I read this post beforehand, otherwise I may have freaked out. Ugh...nasty

• Lena
    Lena Member Posts: 132
    edited October 2011

Oh my goodness! Is this for real? Thanks for the warnings! Now I'm GLAD I didn't "get" to try this stuff after all! :-O

• Chickadee
    edited October 2011

It's always interesting when you bring it up and the professionals never heard of it. Gotta love the Internet.

• Chickadee
    edited October 2011

I did some surfing around and found one reference to smelly urine associated with Faslodex.

"signs of a bladder infection (frequent urination, pain or burning feeling when urinating, smelly urine)"

I also read on a couple of sites that some faslodex is excreted in the urine. Perhaps for some of us a bit more than others. That brings up a question of effectiveness. If we pass more thru are we getting better or less benefit? I'm too early in the process to tell but it seems like one of those SE's that could merit someone's research to help us make better protocol decisions. For now I hope the stink is in my favor.

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    edited October 2011

I'm not as snobbish as you'd think

When I declare my pee don't stink!

Tina ( five Faslodex treatments out and no more fragrant than usual)

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196
    edited November 2011

I have not experienced it either. Probqbly just dependa on the person.

Judie

• WifeandMom
    WifeandMom Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011

I've had faslodex for close to a year. I have the same smell. Stinky!! I'm a vegetarian too. The smell is very strong fir a week but I think if I stay extremely hydrated it leaves quicker. But it reminds me of the medicine smell I had with chemo.

• ejnova
    ejnova Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2011

i always had sort of a metal smell to my urine for a few days after each shot. i think it's a normal side effect

• tygrzmom
    tygrzmom Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012

I know this problem all too well!!!! I am on Faslodex and Xgeva. But I am pretty sure it's Faslodex related. Glad to know I am not alone!!! Still gross tho!

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited July 2013

The odor is so noticeable, I wear incontinence pads and extra clothes because it comes from my skin too and the urine smell fills the restroom. If I am out, I spritz the air in public places too, am very self-conscious.  Goes on for about five days.  At first, I didn't realize what was causing this and thought to drink extra water which really does help it move on quicker.  After the fifth month on Faslodex, I realized it was the injection.

• Capriness
    Capriness Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2013

OMG! Finally! I complained to my onc so much that my urine smelled horrible and he acted like he had never heard of such a thing.  For me it lasted about 4 or 5 days after the shot then went away.  I could never pin down the smell. It wasn't barnyard smell for me since I have a barnyard and can directly compare. LOL

I just love being able to talk to others who are going through the same things. Don't you?

Teri  Laughing

• tarheelmichelle
    tarheelmichelle Member Posts: 248
    edited July 2013

I recently went off Faslodex for a few weeks, then back on. My husband said my skin smelled different. He called the Faslodex skin smell "medicinal" but I think he's just being nice. I definitely smelled more "womanly" when I was off the Fas. When I am on it, my sweat doesn't smell. Strange! I guess estrogen makes sweat and bodies more, um, "femininely fragrant"? I don't have any urine changes -- I've started taking so many vitamin supplements and that always seems to change the water. Thanks for sharing, ladies, as always.

• kayelen
    kayelen Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2020

I am also having a strong urine smell. I did not think about the Faslodex shots, but now am going to monitor. Have had two rounds of shots and get my once a month shot on Dec 3. Maybe TMI but i thought i had drunk too much coffee because that is the smell I am reminded of.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited November 2020

Hi Kayelen,

This is an old thread but yes, the Faslodex is the culprit with regards to the change in the smell of your urine. I believe it comes from the castor oils suspension that the drug is administered with. That's what gives it the very viscous quality. I find it only lasts about a day.