Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Protandim

Katiejane
Katiejane Member Posts: 188
edited March 2021 in Alternative Medicine

Anyone on this board heard about or using Protandim?  I love to hear your experiences and comments.  Thanks,  katiejane

Comments

• rudy2010
    rudy2010 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012

I was hoping someone would respond to the use of Protandim. I have a friend that takes it and she has had a double masectomy, I had a lumpectomy and she suggests I get on Protandim too. I am checking with my breast care doctor and I am waiting to hear from them,

Rudy2010

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited February 2012

I toook two bottles last month, and have more on the way.  I take 2 pills 3x a day, a triple dose for now.  Do not have experience to share yet, but  I know it was developed as an antioxidant and has proven to be much more, the research papers are on pubmed.gov for ingredients in this product. 

All I know is whatever 'had' me is going backward.   My tests will come in next week, andeven if I end up w a Stage IV diagnosis, I know I am much better now than I was before I found that mass and started active protocols for BC.  Before, I had no memory, could not stay awake, was a very sick woman, could not even drive, lost my way, made ridiculous mistakes, even the computer keyboard ws foreign to me day-to-day.  

Protandim, I am impressed with this, and will keep it in my arsenal.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 205
    edited February 2012

Hello ladies, have never heard of it, but will start googling, thanks !

Essa, I'm experiencing a lot of the same problems, can you share your protocol, or if you prefer to pm me, I would really appreciate it Smile

Kind blessings to all 

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited February 2012

Hi Maud - We use kinesiology to decide protocols, every two weeks check again.  We also use a lot of resesarch, common sense and follow what fits in the budget. 

I don't mind sharing.  But remember this is this week, I have been using one protocol or another since I found the mass mid-July, and was using other protocols before that for memory issues nd exhaustion, I was in very very rough shape, could not even drive, was scary, would forget what yield meant when facing the sign and made others yield for me instead, freaked out my sister, family took my keys for months LOL.  Could not remember names, or how to use computer day-to-day, or for example, sister's phone number and she had same for 15 yrs, so looked it up five times in order to call her, everytime I shut the book, forgot, looked again, kept forgetting I forgot.  So I was sick.   

What I am saying, I think this started in my brain, a scan showed "plaque" four years ago, I tried to deal with it myself.  Was it cancer, doubt it, but it had to do w the undiagnosed thyroid.  Wondering, Maud, if you have had your thyroid correctly checked???? Thyroid issues, the proteins do not digest properly, not utilized.  Thyroid has been linked to both cancer and Alzheimer's and I am eagerly researching this again, but the one book I have is from Mayo on Alzheimer's and they are very clear about proteins in brain.

Following through, thyroid, Alzheimer's symptoms, at least dimentia, then cancer.  Bam bam bam.

Protandim is an antioxidant that can assist in all.  The studies on ingredients is on pubmed.gov for own research.

Maud - back to my protocol -  the one thing that helped me most w memory was Rife technology, bought mine from JWLabs, user friendly, but not the cheapest.  Would be a good contraption to go in w others and share cost and use.   Everyone noticed my memory came back after the Rife, but before the surgery, interesting.  I would be glad to share with you all about it.

I also, at the time of memory issues, was using Ojibwa tea, fucoidan capsules some.  

I think right now, the protocol does not really address memory, though it would help it.  I will be on Protandim 2 3x day, Fucoidz capsules 6  1x  day, BioResponse's Breast Balance and DIM, 2 of DIM and 1 of other,  Ojibwa tea 4 o 4x day, SeaCalcium 3 day, Noni capsules for pancreas and more 3 day,  flaxseed oil/ organic hormone free yogurt mixture as prescribed by Budwig 3 x day, coconut oil 4 tsp day, lemon water, green tea, low glycemic foods, Metformin 2500 mg - see thread for more info on Metformin - Rife every other day, gentle and systematic approach to spine right now for fungal issues, I am taking Levosomething for thyroid,125 mg day but want to get on a natural support such as New Zeland sheep thyroid, and I am taking the MSM - LIPH protocol 2x day plus LIPH water 2x day - see that protocol on  http://cancertutor.com/Cancer03/MSM_LIPH.html     because it is involved.  I take CoQ10 400 IU 2x day, use Vitol, a water soluble so cannot OD since it only absorbs what one needs, my integrative med dr said. 

I used so many products and improved.  Then I found the mass last summer.  And that is what I am on right now. 

It's hard to know what is for each person though because every cancer is different, every body different, every system at different condition.  I would be happy to pm with you on questions though, I love to help people.  

Right now, I just want all the test results to say cancer, what cancer?  But I would still do what I am now and more, there is no easy way out of this with or without chemo and rads.  I feel I am fortunate to have known so much when I found the mass and to begin immediately.  I waited two months+ to go to GP, two months for surgery but have not stopped a  day from hitting it with everything I learn and can afford.  The Protandim one at top of list, happy to find out about it.  

• Schlisner
    Schlisner Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013

I have done quite a bit of research on this supplement (I take it as well) and I can offer some correction of information previously stated in this discussion.

Protandim is not an antioxidant. This is a very important fact! It does what antioxidants claim to do. But antioxidants fail miserably because it is impossible to consume enough of them to make a difference. (This is a little known fact that I found out recently and I feel duped!)

Protandim activates enzymes in your own body that fight oxidation (the breaking down of your body that begins at about age 20) and this is what causes us to age. Protandim is the only supplement clinically proven to reduce oxidative stress in humans by an average of 40 percent in 30 days.

This reduction in oxidative stress is so huge because over 200 diseases are linked to oxidative stress. That is why we are hearing story after story people having dramatic improvements in their health with this natural supplement. Just Google Protandim testimonials to find out more. If you want to read the peer reviewed scientific research that has been published, go to PubMed.gov.

I am a healthy 34 year old and I started taking Protandim about 2 months ago. I don't have any diseases to experience relief from. However, I have noticed that I focus better. I feel more rested from my sleep and more alert during the day. I was able to stay awake on the 14 hour drive back home after our vacation! 

If you take Protandim make sure you give about an hour on either end before taking any other vitamins (which many find that they don't need their other vitamins anymore anyway). The science is in the specific combination of ingredients in their specific dosages. Don't mess with the science! :)

Also, don't take Protandim if you are currently on immunosuppressants. For example, someone who has gotten an organ transplant will be on immunosuppressants so that their body won't reject the organ. Protandim improves the immune system.

I hope this helps!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited February 2013

Schlisner, gotta love wiki. I did google, and found out that this supplement is sold through an MLM scheme, and that of the 12 studies done on it, 11 were paid for or authored by the MLM that sells it.

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2013

Just want to add something. I've taken protandim. There are only 5 herbs in this supplement. Tumeric, bacopa, ashwaganda, milk thistle, and green tea. If you research each of these ingredients, all of these herbs according to the research I have done are known immune builders/cancer fighters. I stopped taking Protandim because there was too much green tea/caffeine in it..and because I worried that the supplement lacked purity, none of the herbs organic, no natural extraction process, the inactive ingredients concerned me a little, and all the hype about it turned me off. Now I take each of these herbs individually, purchased them separately from brands that I trust. I take a lot of other stuff too, but these 5 herbs definately make a difference in my energy level for the day. I just generally feel better/stronger when I take them, and it does seem to me they work better synergistically than they do alone.    

• NattyOnFrostyLake
    NattyOnFrostyLake Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2013

You mean an MLM scheme like the oncs get with chemo kickbacks in their chemo suites? Cool!

• digger
    digger Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2013

Apparently Protandnim, aside from being one of those lovely MLM schemes, also causes users to lose half their hair!  Unless you've got a lot of hair to lose, I'd be careful.  Always gotta love a user who signs up for BCO, admits he/she has no diseases, then touts an alternative product that cancer sufferers simply must cough up money to try.  Cool!

Blessings!

• lightandwind
    edited February 2013

I don't have any hair loss, and I've been taking the herbs that are in protandim for quite awhile...along w/ femara.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited February 2013

I took Protandim at the suggestion of my PS but I didnt notice any difference so I let it go and take Turmeric now. However, now that you mention the hair thing,I noticed my hair getting thin but I thought that was from age and thyroid problems,if its the Protandim then I am really gonna be mad at that company!!

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited February 2013

I take many of the herbs in Protandim on their own, but my Naturopathic Oncologist told me to stop taking Milk Thistle since it is counterproductive to femara (it has something to do with the way the liver interacts with Femara and Milk Thistle).  So perhaps Protandim might not be best for those on an AI. 

• lightandwind
    edited February 2013

Bestbird, I wonder why your Naturopath said this. Is it because of the concern about milk thistle containing phytoestrogens? or is there some other way it might interfere w/ femara? Regarding milk thistle, the seed according to articles I've read, do not have estrogenic effects. I'll attach a couple here. For me it is worth taking the milk thistle seed. I'm just wondering if there is something your Natropath knows that I don't about it's interactions w/ femara though, and if so, could he/she point us in the direction of some research on this. Thanks!

http://ww5.komen.org/breastcancer/milkthistle.html

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/milkthistle/Patient/page2

• vacationbound
    vacationbound Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2013

Hi Bestbird! Hope you read this as it looks like you haven't posted since Feb on this thread but I think the reason for the Doctor saying it interferes would have something to do with the P450 enzyme interaction but according to this article, taking recommended doses of milk thistle seed are too low to affect activity of the CYP3A4 and UGT1A1 enzyme pathways-also I want to say that I have researched taking milk thistle SEED for my liver mets and I was going to call you tonight but then hubby came home so we will talk later as I want to know how your other treatments are working for you. (Seed is not estrogenic) http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/milkthistle/HealthProfessional/page6

and

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/138.html

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited June 2013

Vacation...so, milk thistle isn't a great supplement all in all?

• vacationbound
    vacationbound Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2013

I researched it for myself and I wanted to confirm with "Bestbird" as she is an avid researcher herself but from my findings, I believe the milk thistle SEED is something I would consider taking for my liver mets as the SEED I read is NOT estrogenic but the plant, stalk and roots ARE so I believe in regard to taking it while on chemo, if you havea CYP3A4 or UGT1A1 sensitivity or polymorphic reaction then it is advised to leave it alone during treatment

• Rhiannon777
    Rhiannon777 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2017

I've been on Protandim for 4 years!!!

• Rhiannon777
    Rhiannon777 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2017

I have 28 family memebers on Protandim and NONE of us experience hair loss. It actually makes my hair healthier.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816
    edited February 2017

Rhiannon777, welcome to the BCO Community, and thanks so much for sharing your experience !

• Dymondgurl
    Dymondgurl Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2017

I just found this site. And YES I tell you that Protandim has been a life saver and complimented my chemo treatment. My tumor markers were over 400 when I was first diagnosed. I started taking Ibrance (a chemo pill) and Protandim and I am proud to saythat my tumor markers have dropped to just over 40. I love it. There is power in prayer and Protandim.

God Bless with good health and long life.

• Dymondgurl
    Dymondgurl Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2017

I tell you that Protandim has been a life saver and complimented my chemo treatment. My tumor markers were over 400 when I was first diagnosed. I started taking Ibrance (a chemo pill) and Protandim and I am proud to say that my tumor markers have dropped to just over 40. I love it. YES it is an MLM but not a scheme. It first started out selling in stores like GNC but FDA pushed them out because of their claims that could help people with cancer. That's why they're a direct marketing company now AKA MLM. I take it everyday and I've told my oncologist about it and told him and the pharmacists that I take it with my Chemo pill. I've had great results and Ireally believe it helped my medication do it's work but more importantly gave me great health results based on my bloodwork and monthly visits.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,816
    edited May 2017

Dymundgurl-

Welcome to BCO, and thank you for sharing your experiences!

The Mods

• GreenEyes81
    GreenEyes81 Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2018

Was searching to see if anyone on here was taking protandim. Excited to see a thread. I started a month ago...I am blown away how much better I feel. Radiation kicked my rear, I was getting desperate as I was not getting better or my strength back nearly as quickly as my doctor said I would. The last year has been 5 surguries, 6 1/2 weeks of radiation, multiple hospital stays including 2 days in the hospital due to an alergic reaction to tamoxifen. I can honestly say I feel better than I did before I was dx with cancer.

As for MLM.....Ever use Avon? Tupperware? Pamppered Chef? lol

• Bibi4
    Bibi4 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

HI

I have been using Protandim for nearly 2 years now, last month I was diagnosed with breast cancer and started chemo today. I stopped taking protandim last wednesday as I was waiting for a response from the oncologist if I could carry on taking it. All I got was a yes it is fine to carry on taking. But after reading articles saying it can prevent the chemo from working I have not started it up just yet. Does anyone know if I do decide to take it again when the best time of day would be.

looking forward to hearing from you.

Bibi4

• GreenEyes81
    GreenEyes81 Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2021

Hi Bibi4, something to keep in mind that everyones chemo is different. There may be some that could conflict. I have taken it for years and the only time I stopped was for my reconstruction surgery. Also the only time my migraines came back.

Since you are concerned, I would make sure your doctor knows what the 5 ingredients are and double check those are not conflicts with your specific chemo.

Good luck!