Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

What are the chances this isnt IBC?

Options
SAR843
SAR843 Member Posts: 26

Hi everyone - I posted in another area on here (before I saw there was a specific IBC thread), so I hope it's okay to post in two different places.

Anyway, here's my story: Several weeks ago I noticed my bras were getting tighter just around the left breast. Two weeks ago I finally looked in the mirror and saw that the breast was larger than normal and there was this weird dimply area (looks kind of like the hair follicles are enlarged). Last Thurs. I felt a lump. It's very tiny though.

I don't have health insurance but didn't want to mess around with this, so I found a breast care center near me and saw a dr. on Fri. She said the area with the dimpling concerned her and I needed to have a mammo and ultrasound asap. Since I have no insurance I have to go somewhere else for the tests and they can't get me in until Mon 2/27. I'm going crazy waiting. I made the mistake of looking online and had a major meltdown last night. I'm terrified that this is IBC. But I've also read that these same symptoms can be signs of an infection. I'm hoping it's just stress, but I've been having some pains in my arm and my chest. Nothing terrible, but def new. I'm trying to stay positive but I'm just so scared. FYI I'm 30 years old. 

Comments

• Aza
    Aza Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2012
    Options

SAR843, looking on the internet gives us knowledge that we may or may not understand. Don't be thinking only of worst-case scenarios when it may actually be an infection rather than IBD. Do you have family and friends who will be waiting with you until Feb. 27? 

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

Thanks for responding, Aza. I know, I know, I'm usually the one that tells people to stay positive and not to look online and stress out, and here I am, not taking my own advice. I'm just trying to find as many things as I can to distract me until the 27th, then my mom will be there with me for the tests. 

• Aza
    Aza Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2012
    Options

I'm surprised that the doctor you saw didn't arrange for you to have the mammo and ultrasound right away, even if it meant you'd have to pay for those things out of pocket. Of course I don't know what your situation is, but I think I would've used my credit card rather than to be stuck waiting and worrying.... maybe unnecessarily!  I do hope this is "only" an infection of some sort. Did the dr. prescribe any antibiotics to see if they might erase the symptoms?

God bless, and please keep me posted. I'll be thinking of you.

• ibcmets
    ibcmets Member Posts: 312
    edited February 2012
    Options

Sar843,

I had to wait 3 weeks to even get into my obgyn, than a week later a mammo & ultrasound.  I do have ibc so just telling you to stay calm.  The 27th is not far off and the ultrasound should tell you more info. 

I've read for the most part that you would not have pain with ibc and I did not have any pain, but I had a much larger breast, redness & itching as well as slight orange like dimpling.

I hope your tests come out clean.  Don't start worrying yet, it may just be an infection.

Terri

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

Aza - thanks so much. I asked how much it would have cost to have it done in the office but they wouldn't tell me. I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it. I don't have a credit card, by choice, though it would prob come in handy right now. I'm trying to stay positive by thinking that since the dr., while hoping to get me in for the tests asap, obviously doesn't seem to mind my having to wait a little while. In the meantime though, I've been calling every place I can think of and no one can get me in sooner. The dr. didn't prescribe antibiotics, which makes me a little nervous. My thinking is that, if she really thought it was an infection she would have had me start antibiotics right away, and do the tests anyway to rule out something else. I'll def keep you posted and will be thinking of you too :).

ibcmets - thank you for responding. I don't have too much pain. I had none when I first noticed the symptoms, now almost a month ago. The other day I was lying in bed and got this sharp stabbing pain in my breast. It didn't last long though. The other pains come and go, but now I've had a little pain up near my collarbone. I'm trying to convince myself that it's just soreness from the extra weight of my breast. My left breast looks like it's almost twice the size of my right one, and they've always been the same size. I have little spots of redness, and then that dimply area. Some issues around the nipple as well. I haven't had any itching.

I'm trying so hard to not worry but I've never been so scared in my life. These next few days until the test are going to be the toughest. My dr. already said I wont get results right away, so that'll just be more waiting. I'll keep you all posted! 

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

HI Bon - I really can't tell. Sometimes it feels warm, other times it feels normal (the same as the other one, and the surrounding areas feel). Last night I started feeling really short of breath. But, I've had bad allergies all Winter (at least I think they're allergies, I don't know anything anymore). My nose is really stuffed, so hopefully it's just that. I've also been getting these sharp pains. They don't last long though. Just like little bursts and then it goes away. I'm hoping all this new stuff is just from stress.

Ugh, this has been the longest week and I have a feeling these last few days before my tests are going to feel even longer. 

• chester2010
    chester2010 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi Sar843:  I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through this worrying time and now you have to wait all weekend before your appointment.  It would have been good if they'd put you on a cancellation list as quite often people cancel tests last minute (maybe worth a phone call today even?).  The waiting part is awful but try not to worry in advance (I know this is easier said than done).  Our imagination runs riot with aches and pains so just try to take deep breaths and spend time with people who lighten your life. Thinking of you. God bless.

Kathy

• CuterWCurves
    CuterWCurves Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi Sara,

I've been lurking, and reading for a couple weeks now... I was waiting to register and waiting to post only if I needed to but on reading this I felt the need to register and let you know you are not alone.

You've done the naughty like I have and googled. Though I've likely been googling for a few weeks longer then you.

I am very close to your age (I'll be 32 in May) and am also in a state of uncertainty. 

Basically what I can share is this... The wait is the hardest because it is far worse then the fear of not knowing. The wait to find out. The wait to have more test ordered. The wait to see if they can or will do anything.

It sounds like they are moving at a reasonable pace for you. That is a very good thing. I myself am sitting on 2 week intervals, and feeling frazzled with symptom changes (additions), etc.

I second chester2010 on calling to see if they have any cancellations. If that fails...

There are a few things I have found to hold what little calmness and sanity I have left in place include getting out to do something outside of the house. Away from the computer. In fact... The only time I am not sitting here with my knees shaking is when I am raging against the system if the computer is on. Maybe it is time to take a bit of you time. If you have a favorite place or activity this might get you through. Monday will come soon enough.

Hugs & lots of wonderful thoughts...
    Shell

• learnin
    learnin Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2012
    Options

Are you pregnant or Breastfeeding? (wouldn't a blocked duct or mastitis be a nice diagnosis)

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

Thank you all for responding. It's been very helpful to come to this site and hear everyone's stories, and how similar a lot of the women are to me and my situation. Everyone seems so nice. Too bad we all couldn't have "met" under better circumstances. Anyway...

chester2010 - I actually called the office earlier this week and was told that I was on the list to be notified of any cancellations. My original date was March 2, but they had a cancellation on the 27th. I guess it's too much to ask for two cancellations.

CuterWCurves - I'm a huge googler and it really is a nasty habit, especially right now. I'm pet sitting right now, so at least I'm not alone and the dog, and two cats, are great company. Even though they try to steal my food and the dog thought it'd be a good idea to go through my bag and chew holes in my underwear last night. That was a nice surprise this am, haha. And having someone to take care of is a nice distraction. I've been trying to keep myself busy, but, ugh, the waiting is making me crazy. Feel free to PM if you want to talk. That goes for everyone too.

learnin - Nope, not pregnant or breastfeeding. I would love nothing more than to have my doctor tell me it's just mastitis. Ha, never thought I'd see the day where I'd be hoping for an infection.

Thanks again for responding and I'll be thinking of you all. 

• CuterWCurves
    edited February 2012
    Options

PM Sent. I hear ya on the taking care of another... Also a good time for favourite movies, and maybe some comfort food. ;-)

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

I think I've gained 10 lbs this week eating comfort food :)

• Jodycat
    Jodycat Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2012
    Options

I've been through lots of waiting for diagnoses, so whether or not it's cancer, it might be worth thinking about self-soothing. E.g., diet, exercise, meditation.

Now I confess that I regularly fail at such things, but I assume others are better than I am.

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

I'm usually very active. I walk 20-30 miles a week, bike (indoors) or run/walk on my treadmill a few days a week and whenever I'm upset, frustrated, anxious, etc. I work out. I haven't been working out since I noticed my symptoms, b/c I don't want to make anything worse. I've been walking though, but I've noticed that I get tired a lot quicker than usual. I'm hoping that's just from stress. My diet is mostly vegan, but I've been craving all those no-no foods that are commonly craved when one is as stressed as I am. I've never been good at meditation. My mind always wanders. But I'll give it a shot. 

I heard a quote that's kind of been helping - "Worrying is like praying for what you don't want". It's a different way of looking at it, and I guess it does make sense.  

• CuterWCurves
    edited February 2012
    Options

I have likely put on 5 lbs personally... And I tend to prefer swimming with jaunts to the hot tub or sauna which have needed to be curbed. Sar you'll have an idea why via pm.

I commend you for the Vegan diet. I will admit as much as I love nuts and veggies... I tend to really love steak on occasion. *blush* I did vegitarian for a few months but my body really wasn't as fond of it as I had hoped. vegitarian with a corn allergy = failure to launch.

I think your workout if it usually calms you may be your way of finding inner peace... Good luck with trying meditation.

Jodycat... tee hee... That made me giggle. I love that you admit you are not good with it, but assume others can be. 

I actually went on a bit of a theraputic bent. The entire month of Feb. has been spent doing renovations, and buying/upgrading things in my home. It was/is guilt free retail therapy. I got to shop for paint, carpet, a new TV, artwork, etc. Some days I got off light and retail therapy was under 75$. Other days... Well... *blush* but hey it got me out of the house and doing something productive. On the days I was limiting spending I spent time re-organizing and sorting my closets. My linen closet and front hall closet are so fabulous now that most who see photos are having closet envy, or giving me glares. *giggle* There truly is nothing like ripping EVERYTHING out, sitting on a chair, and refolding it. It is mind numbing and fabulous. I should note I am not at ALL domestic like this typically.

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

I love eating vegan, and most of the time I can stick to a totally vegan diet, but I make exceptions for times like these, when it just makes me feel better to have a cookie (or 12, haha). 

When I'm upset and can't workout I usually clean (even though I'm also not domestic at all). But I'm not home and I don't think these people would like it too much if I rearranged their house while they were away. :)

Bon - I'm so glad you found a doctor you love and are getting the treatment you need. The place I'm going to sounds nice so hopefully everyone there will be able to help me. In a situation like this I think bedside manner is important. I've been to too many doctors in the past where receptionists, nurses, doctors act like they couldn't give a crap about you. And now I'm even more nervous that, b/c I don't have insurance, I wont be treated as well as I would if I had it. 

I've been trying to get some pics of the pets but they seem to be camera shy. Every time I have a good shot, they run away. I'll keep trying though, these guys are adorable.  

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

Bon - I also heard it's a rule that, if you break up a cookie before you it, it has no calories, b/c all the calories are in the crumbs, which fall out when you break it. Haha, the things people come up with to justify eating yummy food.

Well, 24 hours til my tests. Okay, 24 hours til I have to meet with the financial counselor, 25 hours til my tests. Now instead of just worrying I'm getting downright scared. I have a feeling when I walk into the office I'm going to be wishing I had one more day to get myself ready. But, I guess you can never really be 100% prepared for something like this. I'm just trying to remind myself what I always tell other people, things that are going to happen are going to happen, and the only power I have is how I react.   

• CuterWCurves
    edited February 2012
    Options

Just remember... Reaction is a must. Be it laughing, crying, or screaming. Sooner or later one or all of those will happen regardless of how the results turn out.

Mmmm cookies. I hit the cookie stage on the 10th. I am all the way to chocolate covered cherries now. *looking arround all innocently*

Actually I did some groceries yesterday and as much as I am indulging in things the bucket loads of fruit and veggies isn't that bad. I did get vanilla youghurt to make my mixed berry fruit dip and/or pure cocoa chocolate dip for said fruit... Or just to eat with a spoon... I mean with the fruit. Yeah! That's it! Ohhhh and I love, love, love cutting up some kind of bun or roll into bite size pieces and dipping it in spinich dip.

And of course Sar knows what I am off to hunt up and indulge in tomorrow. *giggle*

I actually went knob shopping today. Yes... you read correctly. Knob shopping. I needed new knobs for my closet doors. And of course I posted that I was off to do some knob shopping on facebook as my status so now my status is over run with innuendo and giggles. Sometimes one needs a giggle.

Hugs and wonderful thoughts to everyone today!

Shell

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

So, I just had the mammo and ultrasound. I was told the doctor would have the results in a few days. 20 minutes later on the ride home the receptionist at my doctor's office called and said the doctor has the results and wants to see me in her office tomorrow. I'm freaking out. That can't be good. To get the results so quickly and then want to see me in person. I'm still going to hope for the best, but should I be preparing for the worst?

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

Thanks so much Bon. Good idea about keeping a notebook by the bed. I'm def gonna do that. I've never had a doctor get results and want to see me so quickly before. But, I've never dealt with anything as serious as this. I could've used some of those happy pills during this past week. 

I did get some bagels on the way home from the Dr. It was the end of the day so they weren't as good as fresh am bagels, but I warmed them up and they hit the spot.

No problem on the SAR v Sara.

Ha, yes, I did get a good laugh out of knob shopping. And the Facebook status innuendos. I've been stalking around FB this week as a distraction and trust me, there are a lot worse statuses out there. What is wrong with some people?! At least I get a kick out of it.

I'm not really a huge fan of candy. There's not much vegan candy (that I've tried) that's, um, what's the word, oh yeah, good. When I allow myself an indulgence I usually go for Twix or Kit Kat bars. Something about the caramel, and the crunch just gets me. Damn, wish I had some now ;)  

• CuterWCurves
    edited February 2012
    Options

Sar... More hugs to you...

I am glad both of you laughed over that. And Sar... I have been trolling the facebook feed and re-sharing anything exceptionally funny for the past few weeks. I hear ya loud and clear there.

I am a twix girl persoanlly.

Shell

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

Quick note to all you wonderful people who've been helping me get through this - saw the dr. today and it's definitely breast cancer. My doctor said she couldn't say from the mammo and u/s if it's IBC, so I'm having a biopsy on Friday to find out what type and how advanced it is.

I wish I had some twix right now.

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2012
    Options

So sorry to hear ..........

Stick around the forum.  Lots of women here who you can lean on and who can help you.  The very beginning is the hardest part where you know you have cancer but don't know any specifics nor what the treatment plan will be.  As you find out more and get started in treatment, things will settle down and you'll feel less afraid.

For now, don't get ahead of yourself.  Trying to absorb too much at the beginning is too hard and too scary.  Focus only on what you need at that time instead of trying to soak everything in at once.  One day at a time, one breath at a time.  You'll be ok.

• CuterWCurves
    edited February 2012
    Options

*passing Sar some Twix and telling her to check her PM and make use of the info in there if she needs it*

• SAR843
    edited February 2012
    Options

Thanks Faith316 :). I actually feel a little relieved right now. After weeks of waiting and worrying is it or isn't it, at least now I know. I'm going to try not thinking too much about things for the next few days and until I get the biopsy results. 

Right now I'm seeing doctors at a breast care center at a hospital near where I live. I know a doctor who works closely with the breast care center at another hospital that's a little farther away. He wants me to consider switching over there, b/c the center at his hospital is larger and more state of the art. But, I feel like I'm too connected to my current place to cut ties. I really like the doctor I've been seeing and feel like she really cares (she came in today specifically so she could see me). So, I don't know what to do. Maybe have the biopsy at my current place and then go the other place for a second opinion and see which one I'm more comfortable with? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• SAR843
    edited March 2012
    Options

My plan right now is to get the biopsy done on Friday, get the results and then get a second opinion before I start treatment. I just feel like I can't do anything until I get the biospy results. 

I think I'm going to go out tomorrow and stock up on Twix. I'm sure I'll need them after the surgery on Friday.  

Hugs right back to you Bonnie. And to anyone else who needs one right now. Just don't squeeze too hard, our boobies are going through enough right now :) 

• SAR843
    edited March 2012
    Options

Surgery in the am. I'm not too nervous right now but I'm sure I'll freak out a little once we get to the hospital. My doctor called me today to see how I was doing and to give me a rundown of the way things should progress after the biopsy results are in. 

Nope, I stopped pet sitting on Wed. and I miss the little guys already. My mom drove out here tonight so she'll be with me and my friend that came with me on Tuesday when I got the diagnosis will be there as well.  

I went grocery shopping this am and made sure to stock up on the essentials - cookies, chips, and of course, a massive amount of Twix.  :)

• Faith316
    Faith316 Member Posts: 1,088
    edited March 2012
    Options

Good luck tomorrow.  Give us an update when you feel up to it.

• CuterWCurves
    edited March 2012
    Options

Yes! Yes we do because Sar is fabulous!

• SAR843
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thank you all so much! It really helps to know you're all waiting here for me. The biopsy went well. After wasn't so pleasant. Apparently when they asked me how I was feeling, my response was to throw up. Then I was dizzy, tired, and nauseous for hours. Feeling better today, though still a little nauseous. Not even in too much pain. I have to go back to my doctor on Tues. and hopefully she'll have the results. 

I can't wait for the nausea to go away so I can dig into those Twix bars :)