Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Life on aromasin

Options
1181182183184185187»

Comments

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited February 2022
    Options

Thank you for getting back to me Ladies. Another question, I did read that one of the SE of Aromasin (exemestane) is weight gain. What is your experience with exemestane and weight gain? Also, do white and red blood cells go down.

• RoRo123
    RoRo123 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2022
    Options

I've had no issues with weight gain, but switched pharmacy (due to expense) on Exemestane and have some anxiety issues with this new manufacturer. Anyone else?

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited March 2022
    Options

Lilly is here, I have been on exemestane for 4 years and have not experienced weight gain, although I am very thin and could actually use a few extra pounds. My blood work does not fluctuate much and is pretty much in the the normal ranges. I don’t really have any side effects other than insomnia. I’m sure part of that is stress and menopause as well though. I hope you have good results.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thank you for getting back to me Ladies. I am planning to start it next week but I am terrified when I think of SE I had with letrozole. I didn't even know how miserable I was with letrozole until I stopped it a month ago. I keep reading that letrozole is better than Aromasin on reducing recurrence and it is a different formula but I can't find any info on how it works on reducing the estrogen.

• gamzu710
    gamzu710 Member Posts: 203
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi all, I just finished chemo and rads for triple-positive IDC. I've been on Zoladex since chemo started and will be continuing with that and adding exemestane/aromasin. I'm pre-menopausal so if I can't tolerate OS + AI, my MO said we will switch to Zoladex + tamoxifen, but we figured we'd try this first.

I'm very nervous about it but hoping it's tolerable and I can stick with it. My two questions right now are:

1) What should I be expecting or asking for in terms of bone density monitoring? I'm 34 but have been borderline to mildly underweight pretty much my whole life, which my MO confirmed does put me at higher risk for osteopenia/osteoporosis. She didn't seem too worried, but I am, a bit.

2) My MO suggested that I should look into mail order to save money. I just picked up my first 90-day supply from my local CVS and my copay was $10. To me, that seems pretty cheap already, but I don't know how it compares. Should I be paying less?

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi!

Have you gotten a baseline dexascan? I had one before I started Zoladex and exemestane, and now I get one every two years. After my first two years, my bone density had gone down to the point where I had full-blown osteoporosis and was at high risk of bone fractures. Then, I went on Prolia and I'm back to osteopenia.

The $10 co-pay is great and I doubt if you can do any better. The cost of exemestane varies by insurance; mine is pretty cheap.

Good luck!

• gamzu710
    gamzu710 Member Posts: 203
    edited March 2022
    Options

Thanks, elainetherese. She didn't order a baseline Dexa. I think her assumption is that I'm probably fine because I'm only 34 and look healthy. I don't think it's a safe assumption at all--I'm thin, not much of an exerciser, and have an unfortunate liking for soda, and I can imagine my bone density already not being optimal with those traits. I'll ask at my next appointment. I'm taking calcium and vitamin D supplements now and working to change all that, but it doesn't work retroactively!

• sherbear22
    sherbear22 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2022
    Options

I've been on Aromasin (Exemestane) and Afinitor (Everolimus) for about 21 months. The only mild SE is a scalp rash, and my dermatologist gave me medicine with a sponge applicator to keep it manageable. I'm on the Susan G. Koman FB pages for breast cancer and metastatic breast cancer, and have read that a few women have been on that combo for several years(!!) I told my Dr. that I'm praying for at least four years on this, because the next step is Piqray, and the SE for that sound just horrible. Best of luck!

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2022
    Options

gamzu,

I would definitely push for a dexascan. I was 46 when diagnosed but my bones were already osteopenic despite swimming regularly. Also, osteoporosis runs in my family.