Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ports/tell me your pain level after placement

Options

Comments

• puce
    puce Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2012
    Options

holdontohope: I hope it's better this time.  For me it was a necessary evil!  Can you control the team that is going to do it?

• minxie
    minxie Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2012
    Options

I was seriously sore after mine - so much I remember complaining to my BS about it. She said it's a sensitive area (upper chest/pectoral) and it does tend to hurt more than people think it would. I remember being in pain a few weeks.

• AmyIsStrong
    AmyIsStrong Member Posts: 426
    edited March 2012
    Options

Mine hurt quite a bit more than I expected, and A LOT more than my lumpectomy, which really didn't hurt at all.  I remember thinking that it would never stop hurting and how could I live with it for a year. Bard Power Port. And I am definitely not skinny, so that wasn't the determining factor.

I'd say the first 2 weeks were pretty rough with it. But eventually it stopped hurting and I did get totally used to it and had no pain at all. And it was a breeze to use for tx.

But I have to say the BEST day was the day they took it out!
    Amy 

• debbie6122
    debbie6122 Member Posts: 2,935
    edited March 2012
    Options

shoot sorry about the bold letters dont know what i did. Edited it to delete bold letters

• geocachelinda
    geocachelinda Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi, I was a little sore but it wasn't bad.  Half way thru my chemo treatments I started getting a poking sensation in my neck that was bothersome but that is gone now.  I don't even realize it is in unless I feel it!

• lintrollerderby
    lintrollerderby Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi, all.

I had my port placed in my left chest by my surgical oncologist at the same time that he did the SNB and re-excision of the margins. The majority of my pain after surgery was from my port--it hurt terribly. I'm very petite and slender and it stuck out very prominently from my chest. Within a few days, my heart was racing all the time and I couldn't figure out why. The SO said that the catheter was "tickling" the heart and he had feared that would happen because he had difficulty with it during placement. He took me back into the OR and shortened the catheter and that solved the heart issue. The port ALWAYS hurt me. I envy anyone who had an easy time with it. By the time I was done with chemo, my SO was scheduling me for removal because it was such an issue. He even put my under for the removal because of all the issues I had with it (I'd asked for that rather than the more standard removal). Even now, 5 months after having it taken out, I still use my Emla cream on the scar because it burns and itches.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2012
    Options

I had mine out today. Procedure was prefect. Had nice nap after. But must admit I think i need to take something stronger than motrin for pain.of course it doesn't help that my TE and arm hurt some since I havnt moved a lot today.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited March 2012
    Options

I have a mediport placed on Feb 14, 2012. on my right side, as I have a pacemaker on my left.  I thought it would be like the pacemaker placement and it really was.  I did need pain pills, I used my hydrocodone for the first two days, after that an occasionally tylenol.  I am a large lady with definite plumplness on the chest.  This was almost two months after my BMX with TEs.  On my discussion board (CHEMO FEB 2012) a lot of people complained about pain.  Occasionally if I sit wrong, I will have an ach in the area.  This also occurs in my pacemaker area, if I sit kind of  hunched.  So I try not too.  LOL!  Thanks for checking on this, though, I think they should give pain blockers to whoever needs it as it seems to be very random.  I have a hight pain threshold, but I did need them, just for the two days. 

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited March 2012
    Options

Had Bardport on right shoulder one month after Left Breast MX.  The port placement was worse pain than Mastectomy for me.  Since it was on side with remaining large breast, the movement of the breast caused horrible pain.  I had to hold my breast close to my body and take Norco again for a week.   

• Nancebeth
    Nancebeth Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Options

I just had my Smart Port implanted last Thursday and I am very bruised and have a strange stinging/burning pain at the site. The doctors say this is not unusual...some people are hypersensitive to the port and I may have this pain throughout my whole six months of chemo. I sure hope not.

• PamCA
    PamCA Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi, I had Powerport put in on the left side.  Contrary to what dr. said about pain, I had a lot of pain for at least 4 to 5 days.  Fortunately he did give me Hydrocodin, which I took several times a day to get through the day.  I think all port patients should be given a pain script, whether they end up needing it or not.  And I am not petite.  I am 163 lbs.(although with side effects I am having, I should be considerably smaller when chemo is over).

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited April 2012
    Options

i had a Bard PowerPort on the right side.  No pain at all.  Left the hospital and went directly to dinner and even had a few margaritas!  Minor discomfort at best.  Nothing a Tylenol wouldnt take care of.  

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2012
    Options

My port site that I had removed mid match still feels weird.

• my2boys
    my2boys Member Posts: 124
    edited April 2012
    Options

My port placement hurt like heck for about a week and then all it once it was better.  Needed prescription meds for the pain.  Still use the port and it has been there for four years.

• Cspreng73
    Cspreng73 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    Options

Just had my power port in today. I agree with the freight train, Mack truck, kicked by a horse metaphors and I have a high pain tolerance. The surgeon (who is great) said it "might be a little sore" (I told him I had some meds leftover from the lumpectomy or ge would have prescribed more--just didn't think I'd need them.

• S1SSY
    S1SSY Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2012
    Options

Left side (same as lumpectomy) Bard port. Had no pain with lumpectomy so am grateful to have leftover Tylenol #3 now. I am very small and relatively thin, have extraordinary pain tolerance, but this really hurts. Doc tried to place port on right first, failed and placed on left instead, so I hurt all over. It's a deep chest ache something like I suppose a cardiac blockage must feel. Even have nausea with it. I definitely recommend having pain meds available for this procedure, in case you may need them. I'm starting AC DD chemo tomorrow. No rest for the weary.

• SaracVA
    SaracVA Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Options

I was in severe pain for 5 days; only Percocet would help. It hurt to move or turn my head at all. Nurse said in recovery that I would be "more sore than most" due to my "anatomy", whatever that means. My whole chest was black and blue for more than a week. After that it stayed very sensitive for a month, when the end of a stitch finally stabbed its way through to the surface. It had been stabbing me the entire time. They snipped it off and now it's much better, but is still sensitive to getting bumped, seatbelts, etc.

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332
    edited February 2013
    Options

My port didn't cause much pain, it was more annoying because I could always tell it was there. I was very glad to see it go!

• manksy
    manksy Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    Options

My heart breaks hearing all these terrible stories. At my PS's suggestion--he said I'd had enough trauma to my chest--I asked for an arm port. The port has been easy and not a problem at all. I had tenderness there (they placed it in my inner right arm lower than the bicep) for a few days and some bruising but never any pain and it hasn't bothered me since. Especially after reading all these stories, I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't yet gotten their port placed--get an arm port.

• gkodad
    gkodad Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2015
    Options

I had a right side power port installed on Friday (today is Sunday).  Just soreness today, but Friday night and Saturday I was extremely uncomfortable.  I managed on Tylenol once home, but my pain level was high enough after surgery that the hospital dosed me with Dilaudid before sending me home and I slept most of Friday.   Surprising, because I didn't need Dilaudid after my mastectomy.  Saturday was the rough day - I was pretty sure I knew what it felt like to be shot in the shoulder!  But the right UMX two weeks ago might have contributed.   Regardless, things are settling down now and I'm looking forward to a shower this evening.   

• hikerchic
    hikerchic Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2016
    Options

I am sorry about the port pain you all are experiencing. I had my power port placed yesterday and the pain level is way more than I expected. My pain threshold is very high. I am a long distance hiker and am used to pushing all limits, but this port is killing me! It is very low on my chest...think almost cleavage area...and I have large breasts, so if I take my bra off the pain is intense! I took a shower with my bra on...that bad. All I am taking is Tylenol and I do have hope the pain will improve with time as it is some better this evening, but knowing I'm not a total wimp makes me feel better.

• KarenInCanada
    KarenInCanada Member Posts: 194
    edited April 2016
    Options

I had a power port put in left side a while back. I have a very high pain tolerance as well as tend to talk away instead of falling asleep given meds during these procedures. It hurt at the neck area when they put the freezing in and when they put in the drug....quite a bit. During the procedure they had to add more freezing as well. My neck was sorest for a long time. I just had to have an ultrasound done right above at my neck/shoulder due to swelling still there and it was at least 8 weeks ago. I think it's soft tissue, will find out Friday. Although I found the port Veryuncomfortable to get used to and didn't think I ever would, it is fine now. I don't recall taking anything for pain but if I did it would have only been a Tylenol ES. I wouldn't even take anything stronger than that after my surgery for lumpectomy/nodes. Not a fan of painkillers.

My biggest thing was they made it sound so simple and painless when explaining it, yet you come on here and clearly that is not how it is. I think more explaining of the neck pain, discomfort and getting used to,it would have helped because I was more afraid that something was wrong because I had pain

• HappyHammer
    HappyHammer Member Posts: 985
    edited April 2016
    Options

AM sooo sorry yall have had so much pain and all from your ports....just want to say, in case someone comes her prior to having one placed that mine has been fine...took pain meds 1 day after having it put in....it's been there a year next month....have been so glad for it as I am pretty sure my arm veins wouldn't have held up for chemo and a year of Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks. Hugs to you all!

• hikerchic
    hikerchic Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2016
    Options

I agree....it really does come down to communication! I also didn't expect so much pain post procedure. In retrospect, I believe a lot of mine was due to not having sedation during as I believe I tensed up throughout the procedure and this made it much worse. Today I am almost back to 100% aside from a little soreness of my chest area, so all is well and I am ready to start the chemp journey tomorrow.

• Zoziana
    Zoziana Member Posts: 102
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi ladies--This is a very useful thread. I'm having my port put in on Thursday, first chemo Friday. If I had any doubts, they went away when the nurse at my PET scan today had trouble once again with my IV: inserted, veins roll, and it pops out. Repeat. Give up. Try a different vein. Bruises in three locations now, and that was just today. So I'm ready for that port and sure plan to ask the doctor if she or he can try to make it "pretty", but it seems like a necessity, regardless.

Do you get a choice of sides of the body?

• Rickasmom
    Rickasmom Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hello all. I had my power port removed June 6th and am still having discomfort. Mine was also placed on the left side and was removed under local anesthetic (which he had to give me 3 times) and took about 15 minutes to removed, it was buried in my muscle . I feel it on top of my shoulder and on under the incision which is indented quite noticeably. Even the water hitting directly on it in the shower is uncomfortable. Has anyone else experienced this and how long has it lasted?

• LUmmel
    LUmmel Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

Port placed 3 days ago in left side due to cancer being in right breast. I am very sore and have been pretty uncomfortable. Better than yesterday and am hoping that tomorrow is better than today. Tomorrow will be the real test as I will try a real bra and am going to try and work for a few hours.

• ILikeCats
    ILikeCats Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2018
    Options

I had my port placed this past Friday morning (two days ago). It was on my right side. The rest of the day Friday and throughout yesterday, my upper arm and shoulder were kinda painful when I moved, so I tended to keep my arm pressed up against my waist. But I decided the best thing would be to do some gentle movement to keep from stiffening up. I took a few "heavy" doses of ibuprofen (three 200-mg tablets every 5-6 hours a time for about 24 hours), and that definitely helped.

I've been absolutely fine today with my arm. The incision spots are a little tender/puffy, but that's to be expected. Otherwise, I feel great! Everyone heals/recovers at their own rate, though, but I think you'll be fine by tomorrow. Be careful not to let anything press up against the incisions, though. If you drive, you might need to put a folded washcloth or dishtowel under the part of the seatbelt that crosses your left side.

Good luck!

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited January 2018
    Options

My port pain hurt more or as much as my UMX which I had done 3 weeks before port placement.

My remaining large breast pulled on the area and it was painful for 2 to 3 weeks. After that, it was

fine.

Sending all my best wishes!

• WorriedMe77
    WorriedMe77 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2018
    Options

I have a bard power port right side and I had pain the first day and discomfort for several days..My BS prescribed Percocet for pain which I needed so I was glad I had it. I attribute this to the fact the my port had to be accessed for ct with contrast the next morning, then the day after accessed again for conscience sedation, then the next day accessed again for PET scan.