Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Coconut oil

Options
2»

Comments

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited May 2012
    Options

Please dont forget about the coconut water.....try it you just might like it.

I drink 8 oz container daily along with the coconut oil...but then again I do love the taste of coconut.

All of the abouve it sooo true.Nutivia is the brand that has it all.I buy the large bottle.its about 20 bucks.a little goes along way....

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited May 2012
    Options

Also, you can use it as a whole body skin cream. Our organs absorb oils we put on our skin.

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    edited May 2012
    Options

I just started using coconut oil for oil pulling (a form of detox).  Its great for the skin.  My daughter has eczema and its really helped that as well

• Angelfalls
    Angelfalls Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2012
    Options

Does anyone know if coconut oil is contraindicated for those with ER+ tumours?

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012
    Options

O.K. No more coconut oil on my face - I've never had whiteheads in my life, but since using the coconut oil, I do now! Undecided

Back to my hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic light lotion.....

• Mallory107
    Mallory107 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2012
    Options

Well, Dr Oz is a heart surgeon and he loves coconut oil and uses it every day :-)

• shera
    shera Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2012
    Options

I've been using unrefined coconut oil for years too... in food and on skin. I had my cholesterol checked after years of the habit and my "bad cholesterol" was very low and my "good cholesterol" was normal. I'm only 1 statistic, and it could be my genetic makeup... but I plan on keeping it in my diet. 

Also...  air popped popcorn, substitute coconut oil in place of butter. Sprinkle in some curry powder. YUM! 

• Thatgirl
    Thatgirl Member Posts: 34
    edited August 2012
    Options

I dont use coconut oil on my face but it's magical on other parts of my body.

• Shayne
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ive been using it for everything in cooking - as Ive read about the evils of Canola oil.  I used it to make popcorn in one of those old fashioned popcorn makers......it was perfect!!

• Natkat
    Natkat Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2012
    Options

Coconut oil is extremely beneficial for the skin.  Many moisturizers, face creams, hair products, etc, are very expensive and not that good for you.  Coconut oil is natural, cheap, and will probably do way more for your skin and hair than all the expensive brand name stuff.  Ayurvedic medicine uses it for external skin & scalp health. 

As far as eating it?  Your mileage may vary but it is 100% GREAT for your skin and scalp.

• FireKracker
    edited August 2012
    Options

Natkin----I feel the same way as you do....I use it on my skin and its a wonderful hair conditioner.

Been doin it for almost 2 yrs now.

I also cook with it and every now and then I take a spoonful just to eat...yummy.

I keep 2 jars going and the trick is not to put your hands in the jar.

love love love it.

• Sierra
    Sierra Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi there:

thought Id post this for what it is worth

I am having teeth issues

as usual

am l2 yrs out

and trying to avoid a/b for themoment

coconut oil wasrecommended to me

now, I forget the way they told me to use it

as I have enought other things on the go presently

ever heard of this for gums 

Sierra :)

• Shayne
    edited August 2012
    Options

Yes.  THe oil pulling technique will work for gums.  If you google oil pulling......youll find it - unless  I posted a link earlier on this thread....

• livinandlovinlife
    livinandlovinlife Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Options

I'm very new to any knowledge about Coconut Oil but I recently read in Coconut Cures by Bruce Fife, two statements about using virgin coconut oil to cure problems with gums. It appears that the effects are rather rapid, having a noticeable difference in just a few uses or at most a few days.  On page 22 it implied that it won't hurt teeth either because it is used in the islands to sooth gums when babies are cutting teeth.   

• Shayne
    edited November 2012
    Options

When i was doing the oil-pulling (not as faithful right now) my teeth got noticably whiter right away.  And on my last check up, she hardly had to do any scraping - and I usually have a lot of plaque.  So, I can attest - it works!

• new_direction
    new_direction Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2013
    Options

I was investigating this subject and wanted to post this link about coconut oil and it's antibacterial properties.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041821_coconut_oil_tooth_decay_bacteria.html

• FireKracker
    edited September 2013
    Options

New direction

Thank u for the link

Been using it for quite some time now

I put it on my gums every night

I eat it to try to hel my stomach

I use it in my hair as a conditioner

I use it all over my body including the face

Good stuff.

• GlobalGirlyGirl
    GlobalGirlyGirl Member Posts: 77
    edited September 2013
    Options

After having to give up my paraben-filled creams and lotions, I really love coconut oil as a body moisturizer. I get the unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil because I just love the smell. It melts like butter on the skin.

• Shayne
    edited September 2013
    Options

I use it on my skin......cook with it.......use it on my daughters eczema......give it to my dogs......  

I have an old fashioned popcorn maker - whirlypop - and use coconut oil and it comes out great!

Coconut milk and coconut water - also great!

• Lucy2014
    Lucy2014 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Options

Coconut and ER+

I'd like to know too

• Lucy2014
    edited January 2015
    Options

It is heavy so not on the face as it blocks the pores

• Lucy2014
    edited January 2015
    Options

About coconut oil on face (post above): It is heavy so not on the face as it may block the pores

• FireKracker
    edited January 2015
    Options

I use the coconut oil on my face

Only once a day and it's at night

My face shines when I put it on

A drop goes a long way

• labelle
    labelle Member Posts: 134
    edited January 2015
    Options

I use it for everything: cooking, baking, skin (body and face) care, put it on my lumpectomy scar and am using it with rads. After being diagnosed w bc I threw out almost all of my old "beauty products." Ever read those labels? Coconut oil with frankinsence oil added is my new perfume.

• ceramx
    ceramx Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

Question - Did putting the coconut oil on your hair and scalp stop your hair from falling out during chemo?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    edited April 2015
    Options

I love coconut oil and use it for many things, but have never heard that it prevents hair loss during chemo. If I am wrong, I know someone will correct me

• kittysister
    kittysister Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2015
    Options

I use coconut oil on my body, occasionally on my face. For me, it's the best moisturizer ever. When I do put it on my face, a few minutes later, I blot the excess with a tissue. My granddaughter swears by it for her scalp and hair. She said it's really helped with dryness.

• FireKracker
    edited May 2015
    Options

last yr.i was diagnosed with Cealiac disease

Have to do my own cooking and baking

Coconut oil is now my best friend

And it's sooo yumm

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited May 2015
    Options

i cannot see any reason why coconut oil would be bad for those of us ER+ in fact I think it helps with side effects of AIs, and I make a pudding with coconut milk that is great instead of chocolate. I am working hard to cut out sugar but boy is it difficult, so much hidden sugar in basic foods, i never add sugar to anything......

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2015
    Options

Lily, the concern with coconut oil is that it is mostly saturated fat, which may raise cholesterol. When you are taking an AI, you are already at greater risk for increased cholesterol levels, so in that situation it may not be helpful to consume a lot of coconut fat.