Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kiwi ladies who need encouragment, but all welcome.

Options

Comments

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    Options

My heart is breaking right now. Cancer is so unfair. RIP KT xxx

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    Options
    Im only posting in a certain area of this board at the moment but I'm breaking that right now to say this here...

I have a lump in my gut, just like I had at KTs progression and I'm sad to hear this news. I'm also reminded how nasty and vicious this disease is.

Musical.
  • Kruise
    Kruise Member Posts: 242
    Options

hi ladies...I have tears in my eyes as I write this, but I too Nikki had been keeping an eye on the Herald obits for a while as I had seen that Kt hadn't checked in here on bco for a while.

She was an amazing person. So loving and caring. Her family and friends must be heartbroken.

Kt you will be so greatly missed.

Fly high with the angels.

Xxoooxxx

• Twofer
    Twofer Member Posts: 35
    Options

Please excuse the profanity, but all I can think is F**K cancer :-(

• Optimist52
    Optimist52 Member Posts: 144
    Options

So sad . . . KT always asked about everyone else before telling us her news. She remembered everyone's medical appointments and details of our lives. So sad for her family to have lost such a lovely person and mother.

She sounded much happier in hospice care, I do hope her last days were peaceful. I will write something in the Herald obituary guestbook online.

• Nik1966
    Nik1966 Member Posts: 402
    Options

I think, that in honour of KT, we could perhaps organise a get together sometime in January or February for who ever can and wants to take part.

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    Options

Nikki that's a wonderful idea

• Optimist52
    Options

I would love to come and meet you all. I noticed that KT contributed to some Stage 4 threads on this site. I don't mind letting them know this sad news if that's ok.

• Nik1966
    Options

Good idea Michelle. I am sure that KT would want her friends on here to know.

I am free all though January until 20th as that is when I am supposed to be having my ovaries out. I know that we are planning a get together with Kat when she arrives in the first week of Feb, but I am sure that we could do both if we can get organised.

When is everyone else free? We are not going away due to now having working kids.

• fizzdon52
    fizzdon52 Member Posts: 382
    Options

Bloody hell, knew I shouldn't have checked on here while I was at work, the guys must think I am such an emotional person. KT was such a lovely caring lady. I don't know how she remembered everyone so well, and what we were all going through. So sad for her family and friends. F**k Cancer!!! I am up to meet you all whenever. Take care everyone :(

• HelenWNZ
    HelenWNZ Member Posts: 404
    Options

This is very sad news. Being a relatively new member I too appreciated how KT always asked after everyone before telling us what was going on with her. She was very brave.

Being at the other end of the country I won't be able to come to a "get together" but I hope you have an enjoyable time. Make sure to laugh lots!!!!

I was pleased I bumped into you Amusing Saprano here in Dunedin, and I hope your getting on with life after radiotherapy. I'm over it now mentally that is, still have 13 sessions to go.

5 weeks away from home is hard - father in law had a fall ended up in hospital for the first week, came home on the Friday and passed away on the Saturday morning. My poor other half and kids organised a funeral while I just swan off to Dunedin.

This week my sons teacher phoned to give me the heads up that he is getting a big prize in prize giving. So yep I'm pretty fed up as I will miss that.

Take care everyone

• katcar0001
    katcar0001 Member Posts: 320
    Options

I am terribly saddened to hear the news of KT's passing. She continually moved me with her soft spirit, stoicism and selflessness--always putting others first. I struggled with what words to say to her--wanting to comfort her but not really wanting to acknowledge that she was dying. My heart goes out to all who knew her and her family. What a difficult loss. I regret that I did not get to meet her. I am just waking up on this side of the world but will light a candle in her honor.

Helen--I am very sorry about your father-in-law. It sounds like it is very hard on you to be away during this time, and I hope that you breeze through the remainder of your radiation treatments.

• Nik1966
    Options

Helen. I am so sorry to read about your Father in Law. I can imagine that the best Christmas present will be the end of radiation for you. It's good that you were able to meet Amusing down there.

Does anyone have any preferred date for a KT meetup? I am thinking the Wintergarden in the Domain could be a good venue

• amusingsoprano
    amusingsoprano Member Posts: 77
    Options

As a relatively new member to the boards, I did not 'know' KT well but it is clear that many of you did and I am sorry that you have lost someone who was obviously an inspiration to you and those around her.

HelenW, I was so pleased to finally bump into you - I just wish we'd found each other sooner! I totally get the 'over it' feeling, and I hope the remaining sessions and days pass quickly for you. Make sure you keep up the cold-cloths, and don't forget your armpit - mine is a little tender and I think it's because I focused on the boob area and forgot about the armpit. Very sorry about your father-in-law, and sad that you are not able to see your son get his prize. Hopefully someone will take video or at a least a photo for you.

I'm working shorter days (till 3pm) but still feeling like a half-sucked jube (a very eloquent phrase courtesy of my mother). Roll on Christmas and a 3-week break! I have my 6-week check up with my BS next Friday.

• Kruise
    Options

Awww Helen hang in there hun! Believe me when I say we have all been through that emotional 'over it' exhaustion! Tough time with your family stuff and very sorry to hear about your father-in-law passing. Yes hopefully you can watch your son on a video clip and nothing still takes away how proud you are. Remember you are nearly at the end of this and then you will have Christmas and many more times to celebrate.

I always loved the fact that KT was always trying to look for a solution, always 'positive' for everyone else no matter what crap she was going through. I still get so very sad to think she won't be posting any more on our wee group. It doesn't seem real. She certainly fought the good fight. I really hoped she would get to have this Christmas with her family and move into her new house. I hope she now knows up there in heaven how special she was. She was proof that you can shine your light anywhere and help others in just small ways not just in huge ways.

I can try and come to the meet up...try and find a date that suits everyone in the Auckland area and I'll do my best. Xx

• Optimist52
    Options

Helen so glad that you and Amusing met each other! I'm looking forward to the rest of us meeting in January. It seems that KT will also be greatly missed on some Stage 4 threads here. I hope that her children are getting lots of support, it's young to lose your mother. Kruise, it would be great if you could be there too. Lovely to talk to you yesterday Nikki.

• woodyhollow
    woodyhollow Member Posts: 103
    Options

Just heard from Nikki that KT passed away...feel gutted. RIP dear KT

• Kruise
    Options

hey everyone - hope you all had a good weekend. Nice to see you popping in quickly Woody but yes I can imagine how gutting it was for you to hear from Nikki about Kt. I honestly got so sad last week - every time I thought about Kt my eyes just kept welling up. I hope I wasn't the only one. I worked out I had been chatting to her on this forum for three-and-a-half years since I was going through my treatment.

I had my two follow up appts last week. Ultrasound all good. Nothing until June next year now (fingers crossed).

Just had my Dad down to stay from Tauranga as he came along to my son's last prizegiving at his school. Off to college next year. My man's Birthday today so had a nice family day.

Anyone get up to anything exciting over this weekend? Shazza forgot to ask how your walking stars walk went? How is all your leaky issues now Nikki? Healing up?

Helen you must just have this week to go and your done? Michelle yes I am definitely going to try and come up? Have you all decided on a date yet? It's always the hardest part finding a date and time that suits everyone. Donna did you end up having to tell the guys at work why you ended up getting emotional at lunchtime the other day? Kat hope your travel plans are still coming along nicely. Hi Amusing 😀

It's 2 weeks today until Christmas. Coming round way too fast x

• fizzdon52
    Options

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing okay. Still thinking about KT often, can't help it and I guess it's something none of us will ever get used to, losing friends. Even though we haven't met, we are still friends. I keep thinking about her family and their house they are building etc :( I am really looking forward to meeting some of you in the New Year. Kruise - yes the guys at work all know about my journey now and why I got emotional, they are lovely about it. One of the Sales Reps at work is married to a Breast Care Nurse, she actually works for that Doctor in Auckland who brought that machine in that does one dose Radiation? It was on 60 minutes a few weeks ago. I was so excited to meet her at the work Christmas Party to ask her about it, but sadly she couldn't make it as she was overseas at the time. I have to have a colonoscopy soon, just got a message to call and make the appointment, can't help it but feeling really nervous again. It's my three year anniversary now, when I found out I probably had cancer but had to keep it to myself over Christmas. I went to Annah Stretton in Pukekohe to look at dresses on Saturday as I had a flash family Christmas party to go to yesterday. I told the shop assistant that I had one big boob and one small boob now due to BC and I was very conscious of it. Turns out a lady in the next fitting booth heard me and came in to tell me all about her mother and how she had passed away from Breast Cancer etc. I didn't end up buying a dress because they are so expensive (but OMG they are sooooo beautiful), and that lady put me off. ( Anyway, I hope you are all coping with the silly season. Not long to go know and I can't wait for a little holiday. Donna xxx PS Kruise when is your wedding? I expect to see some photo's please and good luck with the planning.

• Kruise
    Options

hi Donna - my wedding 7th January. Just been sorting some stuff again tonight. Flynny from the Hits radio station is our celebrant :)

It's coming round way to quick! I don't think I'm going to lose those extra 30kg lol. But yes will post some pics.

Ps. Kt's name was Karyn and her hubby was Tim. My name is Karen and my hubby-to-be is Tim. She knew that but I didn't. Funny aye ....🤔

Xxooxx

• Nik1966
    Options

I hope all your wedding preparations are going well Kruise, and the day is exactly how you want it to be.

During my cancer treatment I developed a strong friendship with someone (she ran a charity where she did nails for BC patients, and had BC 3 years ago). Her name is Nicola & she is married to a Gary. My name is Nicola and I am married to a Gary. Weird.

Regarding our meet up - Saturday 4th Feb (Katcar is in Auckland then), and it's Waitangi weekend? What suits you guys?

I am still having trouble after my surgery. I go to the District Nurse 3 times a week. It's been 4 weeks now and getting very tedious. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Helen, you're nearly at the end :-)

I hope everyone is well. Thinking of KT and her family.

• fizzdon52
    Options

Hi guys, yes Waitangi weekend for a meet up would be great for me :) Kruise my son is friends with Flynnys younger brother, I believe they went to Pukekohe High School together. Such a small world! I'm so sorry to hear you still aren't right Nikki, do you think it's not healing very well because you had radiotherapy and it's damaged your skin so it takes longer to heal? Hope everyone else is doing well. Countdown is really on now for Christmas. Take care everyone, Donna xxx

• HelenWNZ
    HelenWNZ Member Posts: 404
    Options

morning everyone I hope you are all doing well. It sounds as if great plans are underway for meet ups and a wedding, awesome. When I was first diagnosed that side of me lost the will to make plans and really it's so important to look ahead.

I'm being very lazy at the minute, I'm in Dunedin for week four of radiotherapy. The old skin is holding out - just I think. I'm feeling pretty tired and embarrassed myself on the machine yesterday by falling asleep while they did all the measuring wouldn't have been so bad but flat on my back is inviting me to snore !!!!!

My daughter is with me for the last two weeks so we have done most of the Xmas shopping and kept well fed. With the entertainment book which is a great investment.

The time away from home has been hard and my 15 year old son is not coping with his extra responsibilities put on him and to be honest is a little Sh.t so we have fences to mend over the holidays. But I'm here so it's left to his dad to sort out. My son and I share a birthday so are probably too much alike.

Take care everyone

• Optimist52
    Options

Feb 4th is fine by me for meet up and Wintergarden area is lovely. Helen, great to know you're at the very end of your active treatment. Your son will be pleased to see you back I'm sure, even if he doesn't always show it. I'm having some major issues with my just turned 19 year old son who has up until recently been the "easy" one of my two sons. I look back to their younger years which were busier but less stressful!

Still thinking of KT and her family, wonder how they're coping. Nikki I hope you're getting some improvement with healing now. I've used arnica drops before which can help with healing from surgery etc. (from health food shop), just an idea to maybe speed things up. Karen it's wonderful to have your wedding to look forward to.

I'm enjoying this cooler start to summer.

• Kruise
    Options

Thanks for the wedding well wishes everyone. It is starting to get quite exciting now. I am up in Mt Maunganui again for a flying visit to organise a few things. Will drive home Sunday and then we'll all be back up on about the 28th December till after the wedding. did the marriage licence paperwork yesterday and florist. Lots of Pohutukawas out around here - beautiful! Our very own Kiwi Christmas trees.

Helen that was funny when you wrote about falling asleep on the machine. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first one to have a wee snore :) I think I came close to it a couple of times too. Enjoy the time with your daughter. You can sort your son out after you get home and have the time to spend with him.

Michelle sorry to hear you are having issues with your 19 year old son. Hopefully it's just a phase and doesn't last. Try not to stress too much....not good for us 😬. I have a problem older son (who is 24 now) but I have had to realise at the end of the day it's his life and his choices and I just have to accept that. Only he can be the one to change.

Nikki I really hope that you get relief soon from your post op issues. It certainly has dragged on for you. Terrible! Have they given you any reasons why it's been so problematic. It won't be giving you much confidence going into your next bout of surgery next year. Funny about the 'Nicola and Gary' thing too :)

Donna - yes it is a small world alright. Especially in NZ. Countdown to Christmas for sure. One more working week. I still have presents to buy....I have got all the extended family ones - just not my kids or Tim as yet. I know he wouldn't have mine yet either though.hehe.

Well hope you all have a fantastic weekend - let's hope the weather is good.

Hi to everyone else. Missing you Kt. Xx

• amusingsoprano
    Options

Kruise, when is your wedding? I hope the weather is settled for it, it's been veering from searing hot to thunderstorms, hail and gale force winds down here the last few days.

Helen, that is so funny you fell asleep on the machine!

How are you doing Nik - are you starting to heal?

I had my 6 week check up with my surgeon yesterday. He is very pleased with the way I am healing. He's keen to look at some cosmetic revision in about 6 months or so and said that they are doing really good work with fat transfer these days. I immediately grabbed the squishy roll around my tummy and said, well they can have this and he replied, Ah yes, we call that the 'bank' and some people have a bigger 'bank' than others. lol

• Kruise
    Options

I think I have a huge bank balance then too Amusing :)

My wedding is 7th January. 21 days...eeeeekk

One week until Christmas Eve...I bet this week will fly by.

I'm driving back home tomorrow. Going to get up early and just hit the road before traffic gets bad. Today was just a fantastic day weatherwise...I think a lot of places were making the most of it. I got a wee bit sunburnt outside unfortunately.

• Nik1966
    Options

Last week was a busy one with parties and shopping. To be honest, I can't wait until it's all over and I can have a bit of "me" time. It's so hard buying presents for the kids this year now that they are earning their own money. Apparently they want me to surprise them this year. It's a week out, so I will be surprising myself if I manage to pull that off.

Kruise, I hope that you had a good drive home.

Amusing, good to hear that the Surgeon is pleased with your progress. I have enough in the "bank" to fix up a few sets of boobs.

My wound is still doing it's thing. I have managed to wear a surgical bra for a couple of social occasions but it was quite uncomfortable. After all these weeks and nurse visits I am definitely over it - next dressing change is tomorrow, and I don't see it ending anytime soon. I had my premed with the Gynae team last Tuesday, so I am all set to have those ovaries and tubes out on 20 January. They are also doing a Hysteroscopy and D&C as a precaution. This week will be my last zoladex yay!

Hi Michelle, Donna, Shazza, Helen. I hope you are well and got that Christmas stuff organised. We're off to my SIL place - I am a lousy cook, so thank goodness I only have a salad and nibbles to make.

So, 2ish at the wintergarden on Feb 4th for whoever can make it.

• Nik1966
    Options

The District Nurse plucked out a few undissolved dissolvable stitches from my incision line. Yay, she's thinking that that might be the healing problem. There's about 6 that are working their way to the surface and might be able to be plucked out on Friday or next week. Feeling like I might be on the mead!

Hope you all are well on to the way to Christmas x

• amusingsoprano
    Options

That sounds promising Nik!