Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kiwi ladies who need encouragment, but all welcome.

Options

Comments

• katcar0001
    katcar0001 Member Posts: 320
    Options

Best of luck with your surgery, Nikki.

• fizzdon52
    fizzdon52 Member Posts: 382
    Options

Hi guys, sorry I've been so slack lately. I seem to have so much trouble with passwords. My Facebook got hacked so I panicked and changed all my passwords. I couldn't remember my password for this site, so had to change it and then couldn't remember my password for my emails. Haha I am turning into my mother (bless her) allergic to technology. My son gave me his old phone and I keep doing conference calls, I have no idea how, but the plus is I have reconnected with heaps of people I haven't spoken to in years. I hope everyone is doing well. I can't wait to see some Wedding photo's Kruise ??? Also good luck Nicki, I hope all went well with your operation. Can't wait to meet you lovely ladies on the 4th - exciting :)

• Kruise
    Kruise Member Posts: 242
    Options

hi girls! So sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I have been thinking of you! Wedding went by in a blur. Oh my gosh so much to organise. I said to Tim - if I ever (god forbid) get married again then I'm just eloping to a pacific island where they organise everything. Lol.

But yes we had a fantastic day - weather was perfect and we managed to get everything done that we could. Our celebrant (Flynny from the Hits radio) got stuck in a post crash hold up on State Highway 2 so never made it - luckily he managed to organise his colleague Will (who works on the Hits too - he does 10am-3pm) and is also a celebrant to do the wedding with 20 minutes notice. So everything ran late but we still got married.Will writes a column for the local Tauranga Bay News so I'll copy his article about it. Very cool! He was lovely - so it all worked out as it was supposed to I think.

Anyway thinking of you all - especially you Nikki with a couple of days to go before your op.

Will write more soon. Xx

• Kruise
    Options

• Kruise
    Options

So lucky with the beautiful weather! Our sunset wedding was just beautiful.image

• Kruise
    Options

imagemy hairdo! Loved it :)

Doesn't seem that long ago I had no hair...

• Kruise
    Options

And one more - sorry if I'm boring you all

• amusingsoprano
    amusingsoprano Member Posts: 77
    Options

Kruise you look amazing and that hair!! Sounds like an amazing day despite the last minute celebrant substitution.

Good luck for the op Nikki.

I caught up with my two bc buddies from Daffodil House (Cancer Society accommodation in Dunedin) - we are all finished treatment (DV) so it was great to be together away from hospitals etc. We're trying to wrap our heads our 'new normal'.

• fizzdon52
    Options

Hi guys. Oh those photos are just beautiful Kruise. What a glorious setting and everything looked beautiful (loved that hair style). Good luck Nikki. Hope everyone else is doing well. Donna xxx

• Nik1966
    Nik1966 Member Posts: 402
    Options

Such beautiful photos Kruise, You both look stunning and so happy. Congratulations and I'm pleased that the hiccup was resolved and didn't spoil your day.

Thanks for the good wishes ladies. I had my presurgical call last night, so I am not affected by the strike which had worried me a bit. Reporting time is 12.00, so hopefully it will not be a long wait like last time. I hear that the Manukau Surgical Centre is a nicer place to be than Middlemore Hospital - I suspect they have the same chef though

SickTired

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    Options

Kruise what beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing your day.

Nikki best of luck wth your surgery.

I'm off to Melbourne for a week on Friday with the girls so I'll be missing in action till I get back. Take care everyone

• Nik1966
    Options

I hope you have a great time Shazza.

• Optimist52
    Optimist52 Member Posts: 144
    Options

Lovely photos Kruise, you look very happy. Have a great time in Melbourne Shazza. That's where I had my radiotherapy but I remember it as a great city. Nikki best of luck.

• HelenWNZ
    HelenWNZ Member Posts: 404
    Options

Lovely happy photos. So glad your day went well Kruise.

All the best for your surgery Nikki and good travels Shazza.

Back to work for me after 7.5 months. Pretty tiring but good to be back. Went commando and no hat so my very very short hair threw them a bit but I'm too hot wearing hats.

• katcar0001
    Options

Just back from Dallas where I go to see my MO and get volumes of blood taken. I think they must have taken 13-14 vials, 10 the first day. I am surprised I did not pass out, but someone else did, and the ambulance came. I wonder if it is necessary to take so much?! They are vampires there. Ultrasounds were clear, so that was good. My MO confirmed what my doctor in Mexico said--that it is time to get my ovaries out. Thinking of you Nikki and will be checking back for an update.

Absolutely gorgeous photos, Kruise. Your hair and the decorations in it were incredible! So beautiful and original. I love the beach theme. I enjoyed the article in the news! Very cool.

Helen, Congrats on going back to work! That is indeed a long time to be away, and I am sure it will take some time to adjust.

Shazza, have a great time in Melbourne. I wish I were going to Australia as well, but there is plenty to see in the 5 weeks in NZ.

• Nik1966
    Options

I am back! Surgery went well and I stayed in for two nights. It was bliss as there were only 11 patients in the whole place because of the Doctor's strike last week. I came home this morning and must admit that I feel a bit rough. The hot flushes are coming thick and fast as predicted - I hope they slow down. Seems that I may have a bit of an infection in my bellybutton, but it also could be a reaction to the dressings again. I will keep an eye on it and go back in if it spreads. We've drawn a line around it just to be sure.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts ladies

Heart

• katcar0001
    Options

Welcome back, Nikki. I am so surprised that you would be experiencing such severe hot flashes so soon after surgery, so thank you as I now know what to expect. I am glad I put this off until after my trip to NZ. I am sorry that you are feeling rough. Hot flashes can be so miserable. I am curious about the belly button--did they go through your belly button to do the surgery? I had assume I'd have two scars--one on each side and below the belly button. I hope the infection clears up quickly!

• Optimist52
    Options

Nikki hope your recovery is quick. I agree hot flashes are a pain in the %@#! At least our summer isn't as hot as usual this year. I had my appointment at the genetic clinic at Greenlane Hospital on Friday. Apparently they do a computer algorithm on all your information and have decided that I don't qualify for publicly funded genetic testing. It's all a question of money and there mustn't be much funding at all if someone with my history doesn't qualify. Anyway I will look again at the Color Genomics website and probably send off a saliva sample! They test for 30 gene mutations, as opposed to the 2 that our health system checks for. Essentially if someone tests negative for BRCA1 or BRCA2, it doesn't mean they don't have a mutation in one of the other 28 genes, so I'm not too disappointed.

Have any of you had storm damage? We were lucky and didn't lose our electricity but there are many tree branches lying nearby on the footpaths.

• Nik1966
    Options

Kat, I have 4 incisions. Two on either side (where my ovaries were) one on my knicker line and another on in my belly button (the camera goes through that one). They are probably all a couple of inches in length. I saw the Gynae Surgeon today (who did the op) and he was pleased that I looked Good - swelling and redness could be either infection or some blood leaking under the skin, so I have to wait two days to see if it resolves before getting antibiotics. Don't get them wet for a week etc. I drove myself from Howick to the Superclinic today, so I am up and around and back at work. I had a certificate until 6 February, but I think that excuses me from ALL housework. The Surgeon thinks that the flushes will calm back down again - they are quite intense, so he thought that I probably had a fair amount of estrogen still in my system while having the zoladex.

Hope everyone is well - looking forward to our meeting. Table booked for 2pm under my name.

• katcar0001
    Options

Nikki, I hope the hot flashes are calming down as well as any sign of possible infection. I have learned a lot through you--always thought there would be 2 incisions, not 4. I am going to have to get a fancy tattoo there as well! Seems like a quick recovery otherwise, if you are back at work already!

• Nik1966
    Options

Katcar. Yes the flushes are calming down somewhat. All in all I feel pretty good. The supposed infection turned out to be bleeding under the skin from the bellybutton incision, so I am all good. I am supposed to be off work until 6 Feb but as I work at home that's not possible after the Christmas break. I started work on Monday. I'll be happy to show you the incisions which are pretty minor - I think it's on the inside that is more extensive. All in all though, definitely not as hard as my mastectomy revision.

Hey girls, I hope you are well x I am loving this non summer (probably the only one in NZ, but hey I'll take it).

• fizzdon52
    Options

Hi guys. Niki I am loving this non summer too and my hot flushes aren't half as bad as they were last summer. I am worried the February/March will get hot though, as that seems to be when our summer really happens. Hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to our meet up on 4th Feb. Have a nice long weekend everyone, Donna xxx

• katcar0001
    Options

Nikki, Do try to take it easy while working. You've been through a lot lately.

My BF has been sharing the unusual weather changes. I guess it has been more extreme in the south island. He has a boat and has been tossed around a bit by some big storms. Things seem to be changing everywhere... we had a non-winter in Mexico, and usually it can get quite cold. 24C today! His Kiwi housesitters are finding it quite warm. I just hope it stays nice in Auckland for his daughter's wedding on the 5th!

• Nik1966
    Options

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow: If anyone else wants to come, I have overbooked by two, so you are welcome to pop along if you can.

Hi Nicola

Thank you for our booking.

Your table is confirmed for the 4th of Feb for 7 people at 2pm.

Looking forward to having you and your guests here at the Wintergarden Pavilion.

• Optimist52
    Options

Also looking forward to meeting you all. The humidity has been getting to me so this rain is welcome. I have my yearly mammo/US on Tuesday - yuk, hate it. So sick of the stress! Anyway hope everyone can come tomorrow.

• fizzdon52
    Options

Excited :)

• shazzakelly
    shazzakelly Member Posts: 620
    Options

looking forward to the catch up. Thanks for organising Nikki

• amusingsoprano
    amusingsoprano Member Posts: 77
    Options

Pictures or it didn't happen Happy

• Nik1966
    Options

Michelle - I got a gel dog mat from K-mart. THE BEST THING EVER EVER EVER. Cools me to the core. $17.00 well spent. I have a kmart close so let me know if you want me to pick one up and bring it tomorrow. Seriously fantastic.

http://www.kmart.co.nz/product/pet-cooling-mat---b...

• Optimist52
    Options

Nikki, wow, what a great idea! Quite funny really. Thanks for your kind offer but I can get one, Kmart not far away.