Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Spookiesmom, it would seem that sometimes it works and other times it doesn't - like so many things we've encountered. HUGS

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

true!

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

PontiacPeggy: I was on both Fosomax and glucosamine together for several years and my Dr and pharmacist were OK with that. I have found it very helpful, though the effect isn't evident right away. I was told to wait a month to see results.Don't know if it makes a difference, but mine is Glucosamine, Chondroitin with MSM. Plain glucosamine didn't help much.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

Years back orthopedist said it works for some not others which is why one study says it helps and another says it doesn't. I didn't bother trying it then but since it helped the dog decided I have nothing to lose

• pontiacpeggy

Puffin, I just checked and my glucosamine/chondroitin doesn't seem to have MSM (whatever that is). I'll check it out. Thanks.

Chloesmom, I agree. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. (Trite but true).

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

And here's another trite but true statement - check with your drs. BEFORE you take any supplements!

• pontiacpeggy

Good point, 208Sandy!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Good advice 208Sandy, I just went thru hell & back after taking calcium with magnesium. My onco had told me to take calcium but I didn't realize the magnesium would cause me such severe SE's. It took me a month to get it out of my system (that's a long time to be afraid to be away from a bathroom, if you get my drift) Dee

• pontiacpeggy

Wow, Dee. That must have been terrible. I don't tolerate calcium very well at all but haven't heard about magnesium causing problems. HUGS.

• GG27

Thanks Peggy, when I went to my GP, he didn't have any idea what was causing my "issue" & thought that I had probably picked up some kind of bug, which I knew wasn't the case. I had to do my own digging to figure it out & then when I spoke to my onco last month, she confirmed that it was the magnesium causing all the problems. The calcium causes a lot of folks to be constipated which is why they put the mag in. But it just shows how these supplements can really cause problems.

I've been good for about a week now. Threw out the cal/mag even though I hate throwing stuff out. Dee

• spookiesmom

think good old Milk of Magnesia. Same stuff, same result, different form. If you start small amount gradually increase, you should be ok.

• pontiacpeggy

Oh, Dee, I didn't realize you were just coming out of this problem. Just glad you're feeling better. I'll just skip the calcium (which I think I shouldn't take with my fosamax anyway).

• GG27

Thanks Spookiesmom, I have never had a problem with calcium & that was the problem!! I didn't need the mag. I bought the calcium on sale & didn't notice that it had mag with it. I eat so many high magnesium foods that I was OD'ing on magnesium. I just told the story to highlight how supplements can really screw you up. I hear so many folks say "oh you should take this, oh you should take that" Someone on this thread mentioned about checking with your Dr's. They are so right!! Cheers, Dee

• spookiesmom

I do calcium too on MOs order. 1200 mg daily. Don't have a problem with it. Buy it at Walmart, less expensive

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

I highly recommend a probiotic if you have issues with constipation. Also I find metamucil works well. Got me through 6 rounds of chemo-costipation.

• 208sandy

Yup, metamucil works BUT Dr. warned me that you can get into trouble with it if you don't drink enough fluids - once again, check with your Dr. before adding anything to your routine - there are many things that can cause an adverse reaction - I also run every new drug by the pharmacist just to double check.

• schoolmom
    schoolmom Member Posts: 327

i took fosomax for 7 years due to osteopenia from hyper-parathyroid disease. Last month the endocrinologist said I could take a break since no significant change in bone density for 2 years since starting arimidex. I take about 1500 mg calcium with magnesium daily with no stomach issues. The magn helps my foot and leg cramps at night.

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

I too need my calcium supplemented with magnesium to keep away leg cramps at night. It takes only a half dose to do it.

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

I also take magnesium malate 2xs a day for foot n leg cramps...it reaaly helps

• schoolmom
    schoolmom Member Posts: 327

i take about 1500 of. Calcium and 1500 of vitamin D daily. Just had blood work with endocrinologist so I will see what my levels are. Next bone scan in May. Have them about every 12-16 months. She said D helps absorb calcium.

• spookiesmom

I tested waaaay low for D3 before bc. Still take it, MO recommended I keep on. It's the only thing that Ever helped with the fibro pain

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

W hen I was dx I wa s at 14 for Vita min chemtter 3 years of 3-5,000 a day I am just at 42. I'm trying for 50. I read that your body can only absorb about 600 units of Calcium at a time. So i take 600 pill 2 x a day. The kind I take also has D in it. I have been low on magnesium since my chemo. I have to take 4 tablets a a still. And about every 4 on the or even less get an infusion of mag. However y last bone density scan was actually better than my last one after chemo. So i guess my Arimidex is not hurting me too badly. Well except for trigger fingers and pain in my joints! LOL and with arthritis who knows what is my problem. LOL Much love to all

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Spookiesmom less than a year before diagnosis my PC diagnosed me with low D too. I was in the single digits! I was on prescription for a while but the proceeded to OTC. I'm still taking it. D is now in the normal range although the lower end of that range.

• 208sandy

My D was also very low before diagnosis and it's still in low range with supplementation but we "Snow Birds" don't get enough natural D in the winter months - but again I warn if you take supplements check with your onc first BEFORE taking!!! On BCO we are all so anxious to help one another and I get that but we aren't (mostly) healthcare professionals and don't want to cause any harm.

• spookiesmom

no snowbird here! Been full time Florida resident 30 years.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

If you notice we don't tell people what to do, we just let them know what we do for ourselves or what our MO says. But it is ALWAYS a good idea to check with your own docs as they know what's going on with You! .

• spookiesmom

Thank you Moonflower

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Moonflower - I totally agree with youThumbsUp

• bride
    bride Member Posts: 121

Hi all,

I'm just finishing my first month on Anastrozole. My bone density was borderline low so I'm taking1200mgs of calcium citrate and 1000iu of D3. Lots of hot flashes, some increase in upper back pain, lost my eyelashes and my nose hair so my nose runs like a two year olds (which means my nearest and dearest companion is a handkerchief). Following the wisdom of this group I made sure my Anastrozole was Teva, but my label says Teva USA. It seems the hot flashes are easing off, but that may just be wishful thinking.

After finding out at my second to last neoadjuvant infusion that I'm allergic to Taxotere -- I had every SE except nausea, plus some unknown SEs -- the AI regime doesn't seem too bad. I have a couple of questions. My neuropathy has changed from tingling to numbness, no one seems to know if this a response to the infrared lights my PT straps around my calves and my forearms or if it's from the AI. Anyone have any info on this? And has anyone had bone pain only in one area as an AI SE?

And one general question. During chemo, I lost every bit of my hair except those nasty ones that appear overnight on my chin. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if that was a question or a rant...

bride

• spookiesmom

I had such a severe allergic reaction to Taxotere my MO stopped treatment. I'd say the change in your PN is from that. You could try ALA with your docs ok. My PN is weird, I can't feel the skin, but know if I've stepped on a rock