Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• denvmom
    denvmom Member Posts: 24

Jerseygirl9,  I forgot to tell you I also had an insitu ductal tumor next to the invasive Lobular.  I have a very good oncologist and he would NOT give me Chemo even if I had asked for it because my Oncotype was so low and other factors I am sure.  He said if I wanted Chemo I would have to go to another doc.  This man cured my friend of stage 3 colon cancer 14 years ago and he teaches other doctors who are specializing in Oncology.  The man has bona fides so I do not question his diagnosis and what he says is best for me.

I DO NOT question your decision to do Chemo we all have to do what we think is best and what your doc says.  My cancer is different from my sister's and my mother's who both  had insitu ductal my sister had no treatments other than removal of her breast and she is alive 40 years later.   My aunts on my mother's side, who we don't know what type  breast cancer they had all lived into their 90's my mom is 93.   Until I started reading this forum I did not even think about my cancer coming back...lol silly me!

Lost my husband 7 years ago to Pancreatic Cancer in less than 5 months, I would hate to leave my 22 year old who is still in college that is why I am doing Arimidex.  However, after all that being said, as much as I love life and will fight to keep it, I would not refuse going to my Lord and will do so with a glad heart. 

I enjoy everyday, and am happy everyday, hope that Arimidex does not change that but like my husband said when he quit chemo, "I want to enjoy what life I have left and suffering on chemo is no life so I am no longer going to do chemo."    I supported him.   If Arimidex is really really bad I may not continue it.

My sister has a friend who has survived BC for 17 years, chemo after chemo, Tamoxifen, Arimidex and has cancer in her bones for over 5 years but she keeps going...got to admire her!   I admire all of you who go through Chemo, radiation, Tamoxifen, Arimidex and any other treatments they throw at cancer patients!  Keep strong!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

DenvMom I highly suggest you get a 2nd opinion with a oncologist that specializes in breast cancer. Typically they do not do oncotype tests on us HER2+ gals, regardless of node status because we get Herceptin/chemo if our tumor is above 5mm unless you have other health issues.

Now if you are choosing to not do Herceptin/chemo that's another story and your choice but be sure you have the correct info regarding treatment of your disease.

I was node negative and did not get an oncotype test for the reason stated above.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

sorry to post on this thread but the Aromasin thread is really quiet. I am a few weeks into exemestane and I am getting bone pain and some feeling of heavy legs again. Anyone have suggestions?

• lago

Molly Make sure you D levels are not low. Discuss with your oncologist and primary care.

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

Molly - This is so random, but did the docs ruled out PVD (peripheral vascular disease) and MS? When veins get stressed, even varicose veins, the legs struggle with the pressure and feel "heavy."

• Molly50

Sloan and Lago, I think I need to find out who my PCP is and make an appointment. I am pretty sure this is all SE from exemestane though. I had this same SE with anastrozole.

• lago

Molly there was one SE from Exemestane I had my PCP prescribe meds for. I didn't even bother with my MO. She would have just sent me to another MD anyway.

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

Are you taking any vitamin supplements along with your AI Molly50? I take Vit D and Calcium for bone health and have also started Magnesium. I see lots of the ladies here are taking Tumeric, (Curcumin) but my pharmacist warned about interactions with some of the other meds I take so I need to look further into that. Hope you get some relief soon. Donna.

• Molly50

Donna, I'm taking Vitamin D and Cal, mag, zinc but I ran out . Maybe I need some more. You all have great ideas!

• HappyHammer
    HappyHammer Member Posts: 985

Molly- While Arimidex just caused too much joint pain for me switched after 3 months-ish and  have been on Exestereme for almost a month. Just commented to my DH yesterday that it is so much better now! 

I do have a bit of leg heaviness-have committed to daily work outs at the Y and/or walking.  Also, have increased vit D to 10,000iu's daily.  Not sure what is working but since I feel better just going to keep this up. 

(AM doing cardio funk, Zumba and "Wurk It" group classes at the Y- brutal but great and LOTS of fun!- trying to get my "groove" back on several different levels  ;)

Hugs!

• lago

Molly I too did much better on Exemestane than Anastrozole. I also felt keeping active made a big difference. If you can get your vitamin D from food too that would be best. I'm starting to think a yogurt or 2 a day is medicines best kept secret. Note that Greek yogurt has less calcium and less salt. Read the labels:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/benefits-of-yogurt?page=...

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/...

• HappyHammer

Lago- sugar is an enemy for us as well- as well as any artificial sweetener.  Ahat brand of yogurt do you eat?  I miss Greek yogurt!

• Sloan15

Make your own yogurt! It's soooooo easy. I bought a yogurt cooker on Amazon (keeps it at 100 degrees for 12 hours). The yogurt is so creamy and tasty. Essentially you heat the milk to 180 degrees, cool to 100-110 and and the starter, then put in in the machine over night. For a starter I just use 2 tablespoons of Stoneyfield greek yogurt, but you can but granules. I usually eat it plain with fruit or boil a little water and some berries for sweetness, or I put a tablespoon of Costco's organic jam on it. Make your own granola, too. It takes 15 minutes. Then you know the ingredients!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Be sure to have your doctor check your Vitamin D levels from time to time. At that dose, you can get too much.

• Sloan15

I changed from taking anastrozole from AM to PM and am having significantly fewer night sweats. Yay.

• HappyHammer

Sloan- that is great...dang those night sweats!  Since changing- really have few night sweats and not nearly as much joint pain.  Not sure if the change in meds has helped, the major increase in exercise has or the combo...just glad for the reprieve from the pain!

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

I take mine in the evenings too. Works better for me.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topics...

thread with link to study just released on staying on AI for 10 years. Sorry, tried to post the link itself but my skills have gotten rusty.

OK, this may be a direct link to the NEJM:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1604700...

• denvmom

How long does it take to get SE?  I just started my pill 3 days ago.  Does it take days, weeks, or months to feel SE?

Thanks!

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

I would say months.

• denvmom

Thanks Jennie93,  at least I can quit trying to see if I feel anything every day...LOL!  I can be such a hypochondriac sometimes, this is going to be interesting if I don't get any SE....LOL!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

DenvMom, I'm into my 20th month of Anastrozole with no issues. Hope you won't have any!

HUGS!

• lago

DenvMom it took me 3 months to start but some did go away after a year, and some got worse.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353

I got SEs right away (within 2 weeks) with Anastrozole. First symptom was dizziness -- I switched to taking it at night, which helped. That symptom went away rather quickly. My sister (a recent BC survivor) got terrible diarrhea almost immediately. MO put her on Imodium and it disappeared over about 3 weeks.

My mom also a BC survivor (we had 3 diagnoses within 3 years) and who is 82, had balance issues but it took almost 2 years for that to happen. She is now off the drug.

Joint pain - I had that fast - my sister has not had any - she is about 3 months in. But over the years, my joint pain has decreased significantly.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Hi all! No real side effects for me after 10 months, but I find I am hungry a lot more often!!!!! Anyone else? I lost some weight through all my treatments and do not want to gain it all back!

• Sloan15

I don't have any SE. Tamixifen 2 months, then switched to anastrozole 4 mo ago.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

On generic I had SE after a werk....On Brand name I have very min or SE....

• denvmom

Ok, I have been acne free for many years now all of a sudden I am breaking out near my chin with good sized acne.  These have not come to a "head" yet but since this is new to me I am not sure what to do.   At this point I will just leave them alone and see what happens but has anyone else had this problem?

• denvmom

Thank you all for your support!  It means a lot to me since I am a widow and my son is at college.   

• Sloan15

I read that anastrozole makes rosacea worse. I bet you don't have acne; I bet it's rosacea. Even though they don't know the cause of it, a mild antibiotic can sometimes make it go away. Mine got worse with my first chemo, I took antibiotics, and I haven't had it since. Go to a dermatologist since MOs won't know what rosacea is. It's with the doc cost.