Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pinktober Revolution

Options

Comments

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    Options

lol wrenn!

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

Love it Wrenn!!!!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

I have seen less pink marketing this October 2019. I think the powers that be are getting the message.

This year I found out about a local mbc support group in my area. The organization that provides it is part of a larger foundation. The organization provides breast cancer patients with free groups, wigs, exercise classes, etc. I can support that. Then I was invited to their pink event with a fund-raising walk, booths, entertainment, etc. Just the sort of party I find inappropriate and distasteful, and that ignores male and stage iv patients. At first I thought to boycott it, but I decided to ask the person in charge, “What kind of presence will there be for stage iv?” Of course none was planned, but she was open. So our little stage iv group got tables, a banner (not pink), an art display, lots of literature from Metastatic Breast Cancer Network and Metavivor, flyers for our mbc support group, and we put on our stage iv T-shirts, and we went! Among the sea of pink tutus, random vendors, and some actual service providers, we did our best to raise some real awareness and to reach out to others who have mbc. It was weird being there, but I think we did some good.

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    Options

Good for you Shetland Pony. Might be good for me to take a more proactive role in my community. We don’t have to join them but maybe we can educate some

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

I think there is more awareness this year that the pink party is not the best look. Great that your local group listened to you re mbc, Shetland, I have my group up to speed on malebc. What's more, I've noticed on Twitter that the major pink charities have taken up the cause for the diversity of the problem and are promoting the cause of late stage bc and accepting the genderless nature of this disease. Change is slow, but we can all be somewhat satisfied with how things are going!

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    Options

Good one, Wrenn!

Excellent progress ShetlandPony!

Sadly, this photo circulating Facebook is a step backwards:

I find it way too realistic looking and not encouraging folks to get their mammograms.

• april1964
    april1964 Member Posts: 153
    Options

OMG... that photo of the graham crackers is truly disturbing... who would even think of coming up with that awful idea?

• rubyredslippers
    rubyredslippers Member Posts: 94
    Options

I don't know when the message will ever get through to the fundraising groups to drop the pink and the boob jokes and boob themed slogans and dress ups.

Shetlandpony - I have had a similar experience as you recently - I know exactly what you mean by there being a pink narrative so loved by the fundraising groups. If you tell them it's offensive and you don't like it, youre very unpopular. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned the woman that didn't know much about her diagnosis / breast cancer who was wearing all the pink. I have noticed this kind of thing too. It seems to me that the women who have had breast cancer that support pinkwashing are either not very aware of the reality, or they are newly diagnosed and are easily led by these groups. I know I liked it initially too - I hadnt been far off being a woman who hadnt had it and knew nothing, and furthermore, at that stage the pinkwashing groups were telling me that I had support and that it was the thing to do in order to feel part of a group.

I have seen far more women that have had breast cancer opposed to all of the pink boob stuff then for it. It's sad though that fundraising groups arent listening to the very women they claim to want to help. Just because you're helping in some way, doesnt mean it's okay to raise money in ways that cause offense and anger - maybe not to all but to many. And if youre offending a large portion of the people who have had breast cancer - or worse, those who are stage 4, surely it's time to re-think your approach.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Ruby, I think you must be referring to a post by bettysgirl on October 27 above. But I do agree that the peppy pink victorious survivor narrative is used for marketing, and that women with bc can easily think they must go along with it even it it does not resonate with them.

• rubyredslippers
    Options

No I was referring to your post above about how the marketing department was all pink boobs and forgot the feeling of women with stage 4, and most others. I agree with you also that it's seen as a marketing ploy and yes, most women would be afraid to speak up in case they're seen as rude and ungrateful. I am grateful - I'm just not happy for the fundraising to be done their way, when it's so offensive, causes so much anger (dont we have enough on our plates?) and so harmful in general.

It's time the message started sinking in that doing anything just to raise money isnt ethical or helpful. it's sad that breast cancer has become the biggest money making opportunity since Christmas. It's sad that apparently it's not easy to raise any money unless it's turned into a sexy pink circus.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

Spot on rubyredslippers, now just imagine you are a man with this disease and all this pink crap is going on around you. Each year I talk at local breast cancer fundraisers and say the same thing: cut the pink back, Stage 4 needs more, the disease is genderless, why buy pink stuff, etc.

Then there’s all the marketing hype such as “race for the cure”, “No deaths by 2030”, all wishful thinking and unethical.

• rubyredslippers
    Options

Yes Traveltext I totally agree with you. I've said all of that recently to a local organisation and they took away my ability to post any comments and deleted my comments. Yes all unethical, and all due to greed and ego trips.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

I finally got the breast-grab picture used to illustrate a "metastatic breast cancer symptoms" clickbait. I've noticed some questions/comments in the "not diagnosed but worried" section on this site wondering if stage 4 shows on a mammogram, so there's a lot of misinformation floating around, even here.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

AliceBastable, it looks to me like she's heartbroken over sad news... or maybe it's a bad case of heartburn? Breast cancer mets? I wouldn't guess that from this picture in a million years

• alicebastable
    Options

Looks to me like she might be having a heart attack.

• Mominator
    Options

I would worry about this lady having a heart attack, heartburn, or heartbroken, in that order.

Metastatic breast cancer symptoms would probably NOT be in the breast, such as shortness of breath, dizziness, and pain in whatever organ(s) the mets have traveled.

• kathindc
    Options

If that was shown to me and had to say what it represented, I would never guess MBC

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    Options

Looks like heart attack to me.

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    Options

Or the vapors.

• kathindc
    Options

Edj3, 👍🏻 Haven’t heard that term in years

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

edj3, that's perfect!

To me, it looks like she's emotionally wrought more so than in physical pain. Maybe this is meant to illustrate her emotional reaction after hearing that she has metastatic breast cancer? Nah. It's just another misguided representation of breast cancer, or in this case, metastatic breast cancer.

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    Options

edj3....HaHa...I actually had to turn to google to see what "The Vapors " was !!

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    Options

Rediculousimage

• Mominator
    Options

DebAL, I think that's the worst solicitation for breast cancer donation I've seen. His and her cars? How about, "Both his and hers may get breast cancer."

• alicebastable
    Options

What the hell? Do the cars come with matching pink front-end bras?

• rubyredslippers
    Options

Have you all noticed that only happy stories are featured on cancer related websites? No one who wants to talk about cancer related anger, depression, fear, tiredness etc, is ever welcome? Like cancer must be prettied up and packaged in a media / socially acceptable way.

• DLJ46
    DLJ46 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I have so appreciated all the perspectives on this Pinktober mania. This month I have seen Vans shoes with "You Got This" imprinted on them, "Claws For A Cause" crab feast fundraising event, and pink pizza boxes. Just when I thought Pinktober was coming to an end, I pulled into the Cancer Center's parking..image

PINK PARKING LINES- who thought this was a good idea??

Take care.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

DLJ46 - at least we’ll know where to park

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

Oh thank Dog, it’s over for another year❤️❤️

• kathindc
    Options