Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BiRads 4a, Waiting for Biopsy

FrayedKnot
FrayedKnot Member Posts: 1
edited January 2021 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone. I am a newbie.

I got a call back on my mammogram just before Thanksgiving and had my re-do last week. The radiologist told me I have a density at 12 o'clock, posterior third but no microcalcifications. My chart says BiRads 4a, so he wants me to have the stereotactic biopsy.

I am 45 years old with none of the risk factor or family history.

After talking in depth with my regular dr, I have decided to schedule the biopsy which, because I am uninsured, will cost $900. However it is worth every penny to hopefully find out the lump is benign.

Anyway, I am shell shocked. I do not feel a lump, have never had an irregular mammogram and am just super healthy. I wondered if there were any members here who had a similar finding and what the outcome was?

I know BiRads 4a is a fairly low risk category, but still warranting a biopsy. I am trying to stay positive but it's almost Christmas and I keep feeling panic whenever I look at my young daughter. It's so hard to keep it together while I wait. And I do have to wait 3 weeks for financial reasons. Agony!

Anyway thanks if you read this long post. :)

Comments

• KTGR
    KTGR Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012

I just went through the same thing. I was birad 5. Had both a core needle biopsy and then, because the findings came back benign but discordant, had an excisional biopsy. It has turned out to be a benign radial scar. Don't freak out. Really. I did, but then I did things to comfort myself: walking, baths, eating really well, reading, meditating, and yes, crying. I have three girls, a 10 year old, and two 4 year olds. One of my twins has cerebral palsy. Bad things float through your mind; let them float OUT of your mind. Don't get ahead of yourself. Birad 4a odds are really good to be benign. Deep breaths. Take care of business and take care of yourself.

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2012

Yes, a BIRADS 4a is low risk for BC, so try not to panic. At this point you have no reason to.

I will say this because women get confused over what constitutes risk for BC. 

Most women who get BC are mothers, grandmothers, breast fed their kids etc etc, and have no family history, have lived very healthy lives etc etc etc

The two BIGGEST risks for getting BC, and they are  THE doozies, are these.

1)Being female 

2)Getting older. 

The other risk factors are much smaller in comparison. Always keep that in mind. That is why it's important to get annual mammograms and follow up accordingly. 

Dont get lulled into thinking you are "safe" because you can check off various "risk factors" with "no" 

If you are a woman, and you are getting older, you are at risk. That is the reality.

Keep up with your health

• Allegraco
    Allegraco Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012

Hi FrayedKnot,

I also had a BIRAD of 4a after an irregular 3D mammogram followed by ultrasound and ultrasound guided biopsy. I was diagnosed with suspected 1 cm Radial Scar and just recieved patholgy which was negative I'm happy to say. Will have it removed in two weeks as my Doctor is not happy with the shape or size and I'm good with that.

It's hard not to worry I know but on my report it did say with a BIRAD of 4a it was low risk so take some comfort from that if you can.

• lisabdcat
    lisabdcat Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013

Hello, I am new to this site and am looking for a voice of reason.  Went in on Christmas eve for a diagnostic mamo and ultrasound for increased density area on left breast/armpit.  Nothing of concern was found in left breast, but microcalcifications found in right breast.  Magnification mamo done and surgical consult and biopsy recommened "as soon as possible".  Going for Core needle biopsy tommorrow, 1/3/13.  Worried.

• Mamma_Cyab
    Mamma_Cyab Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2019

50 years old. Been getting mammos every 1-2 years since 40.

Last week's showed "asymmetry in left breast compared to prior imaging". A spot compression mammo (tomosynthesis) was ordered. Radiologist read on-site and ordered a sonogram. Sonogram was done and categorized as a BI-RADS 4. I didn't ask if it was a BI-RADS 4a, 4b, or 4c. They have now ordered a Vacuum assisted breast biopsy (VABB) and I am freaking out! They didn't see a clearly-defined mass, per se, but they said that the breast tissue had changed and become more dense and looked different than previous mammos and sonograms.

I am so fearful and confused. Anyone had something like this happen? . . . . . . what happened next? . . . . . and what were the results? Any suggestions? Thank you!

• Baileygirl80
    Baileygirl80 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2019

Hello, I’m not in the exact same position as you, but I’m pretty scared non the less, on November 2nd I found a round and what feels like a hard lump in my left breast, I went to my dr who send me for a diagnostic 3D mammogram and ultrasound, it came back as normal, both did. Radiologist notes I have almost all fatty breast tissue and that all they saw was a ridge of benign breast tissue/fibrofatty tissue. The problem is, is I feel a lump a round hard lump in there, so I’m in the process of trying to get into see the breast surgeon for another opinion. This is hands down one of the most scariest things I have been through. Please know that you’re not alone, and I hope we both get the answers we need. And prayers for good news for us both ☺️

• Mamma_Cyab
    edited November 2019

Best wishes to you. I go for my biopsy tomorrow. Hope you are making progress with your issue too. :)

• Moonchild23
    Moonchild23 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

hi, how did you findings came out? I was categorized under birads 4a yesterday and also worried.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited January 2021

Moonchild, this is an old thread. BI-RADs 4a biopsies have a 10% or lower risk of cancer. Since none of the posters here who were going for biopsies have posted much on this site, it's probably safe to assume that none were diagnosed with breast cancer.

• Mamma_Cyab
    edited January 2021

Yes. I was one of the posters that went for a biopsy after a BI-RADs 4a and my biopsy was negative (thankfully). I probably should have updated my status. Thanks for the reminder. Wishing everyone on this string the same. <3

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,813
    edited January 2021

Moonchild23, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We can imagine you're going through a scary and uncertain time, but just know that you are not alone! As Beesie says, for this category (BI-RADS 4) most biopsies will turn out to be benign, so try not to worry too much for now!

Mamma_Cyab, thank you for the update. We're super glad to hear your biopsy results came back benign!

Moonchild, good luck and keep us posted!

The Mods

• LivinLife
    LivinLife Member Posts: 301
    edited January 2021

Welcome Moonchild23! Consider starting your own thread if you haven't already.... You can get feedback about your concerns, etc. that way. You've likely been looking around the site - lots of good info and support here!