Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pain in lumpectomy site years later

Options
1235»

Comments

• purplecat
    purplecat Member Posts: 226
    edited February 4
    Options

Glad to find this thread. I reached the 5 year anniversary of finishing radiation and almost immediately started having scar pain and some of the same sensations in my arm that I remember from the lumpectomy. Fortunately, my mammogram was scheduled shortly afterwards, so I decided to hold off on calling the doctor until those results came back. I’m now 2 weeks past the “no mammographic sign of malignancy,” so that’s a relief. As always, it’s so reassuring to find I’m not alone in my experiences.

Returning to lymphatic massage has helped somewhat. I’ve also returned to the snug sports-type bras I wore during radiation. Kind of a bummer, as I’d recently overcome my superstition and purchased the first normal/pretty bras I’d bought since before diagnosis, but I’ve realized they don’t provide much support. Oh well.

https://community.breastcancer.org/en/profile/bpmcfm , I don’t have great insight on how to manage the constant anxiety about recurrence. Therapy has been helpful, but my therapist also pointed out that it’s pretty normal to feel anxiety while waiting for test results, and I think some anxiety about fear of recurrence probably also normal. I’m trying to say “Yes, I had cancer, and yes, it may come back, but RIGHT NOW I am doing just fine, so what would I like to do with my day today?”