Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Cold Caps and African-American Hair

Options
2»

Comments

• kdanielle
    kdanielle Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello all! I began receiving treatments of TCHP once every 3 weeks on Wednesdays on January 24th, and I am just about to have my 3rd out of 6 treatments. I'm using the Penguin cold caps, and my capper stressed the importance of not putting anything on my scalp, but I'm experiencing shedding to the point of developing a large (maybe not to some, but to me) bald spot on my head, and my head has been itchy. I think the itchy scalp is from the chemo leaving through my scalp (that is what my capper said), but I also think it's because I'm not leaving any leave-in on my scalp/roots. Are there any thoughts or experiences on applying leave-in or things like rosemary oil to the roots? Also, thoughts on a diluted solution of water and ACV on wash days (typically once a week) prior to shampooing, or would something like that be too much with the chemo leaving through my scalp?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Hmm, you could try asking your medical oncologist (MO) for a referral to a dermatologist that specializes in oncology. They tend to be well-versed in diagnosing and managing treatment side effects related to skin changes, which would include hair loss and skin changes on the scalp. They might have some helpful suggestions or even be able to prescribe something for the itch. As for hair loss, a leading researcher and oncology dermatologist specializing in this area, Dr. Lacouture, has found Minoxidil (also known as Rogaine) to be the best treatment to manage hair loss. It could be worth looking into and you might experience a faster recovery with these side effects. Please keep us posted! We know how not only unpleasant these side effects are to experience physically, but the way it feels emotionally to watch the physical changes happening. Holding you in our thoughts, @kdanielle, and welcome to BreastCancer.org! We hope that you find it to be a helpful and supportive resource. 🤗