Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

AIs being used by bodybuilders...

Options
JeninMichigan
JeninMichigan Member Posts: 51

I was scanning the net reading about side effects on Aromisin and came across a whole lot of info on AIs being used by bodybuilders especially just prior to comepetition.   It robs their body of estrogen so they can build mass.   I found it ironic that for the last two years I have been working out so hard 4 times a week and have steadily gained weight.  I don't have alot of fat but have ended up with some big hard thighs.   Is it related or maybe I just like to blame everything on the hormonal part of my treatment???  

Interesting reading though.   Here we are stuck taking these dreaded pills to stay alive the bodybuilders take them to bulk up their muscle mass.  Lots of precautions as they warn how their joints can be dried and to only take them before competitions.    Hard on the joints ... ya think??   uggghhh  :-(

Jennifer 

Comments

• kayrnic
    kayrnic Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2013
    Options

I agree. Pretty unfair! The side effects on the joints are the worst! Nice that they can take it as an "options."

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2013
    Options

Ugh is right. I've read about bodybuilders using Faslodex,too, although I can't imagine how they get and pay for it. The use of these strong drugs for body building competitions just proves the time-honored descriptor of some folks having muscles between their ears.

As for your thighs, Jen, just tell people you're a figure-skater!

Tina

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited July 2013
    Options

I have seen that too, and also that they are fans of taking DIM.

• stagefree
    stagefree Member Posts: 360
    edited July 2013
    Options

Really?? I never understood those people, taking all that steroids, hormonals to grow bigger & now opting for our stuff, weird, literally. 

• Mzmerz
    Mzmerz Member Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    Options

Yeah, I have seen that.

The other thing that baffles me is the use of Tamox for fertility treatment.  When I first started this journey, the onc told me that taking tamox and getting preggers is really bad for the baby.  I just don't get that!

• tarheelmichelle
    tarheelmichelle Member Posts: 248
    edited July 2013
    Options

Lupron, which shuts off the ovaries, for premenopausal women on AIs, is used as a fertility treatment. I came across that on the Web while researching. Docs shut off the ovaries temporarily and when they restart, more eggs are released. And then there's new BC treatment using testosterone. It's all crazy, isn't it?

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,003
    edited July 2013
    Options

I have to wonder what the long-term effects of taking AIs will have on body builders.  It seems a lot of people abuse their bodies in their teens, 20s and 30s only to start paying for it by the time they hit 50 and their health starts to spiral downward.  I've seen that with many people I know personally.  Sometimes, they don't even make it to 50.

With just about anything, there seems to be a group of people who become obsessed with being the best and taking any and all measures to get there.  That, of course, includes the different drugs and steroids for the body builders.  It wouldn't surprise me to learn that men in other sports would try this to help them bulk up for whatever reason they think they need to.

In general, since the bc diagnosis, I become quite annoyed when rock stars now in their 60s speak of the massive quantities of drugs they ingested, inhaled and shot up their veins when they were young and dumb yet are still hanging around, still touring, still raking in the big bucks!  

And yes, arimidex is SO SO SO hard on my joints!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited July 2013
    Options

Yes, I read that too. I have picture of a bodybuilder on the breast cancer board of my Pinterest page.

Caryn

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited July 2013
    Options

They use Tamoxifen, too. Maybe those on a tight budget. No risk of endometrial cancer!

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited July 2013
    Options

Yikes! Who would voluntarily take this crap?!? Crazy fools, that's who! I'm lucky I can bend over to put on my shoes in the morning, let alone lift weights. Good luck to them with that gamble!

• seanswole1
    seanswole1 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2022
    Options

AI's dont build muscle. When a guy takes testosterone his estrogen count will rise. So to avoid estro related side effects they take an ai in very small doses. They dont want to completely wipe out their estrogen they just manage it. Before comp it's taken because lower estrogen let's the body hold a lower body fat percentage.... so no you didnt build bigger thighs because of aromasin. You just have good genetics. If anything taking an ai can make it harder to put on mass.