Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited November 2016

Patti - Your choice is both brave and rational. Obviously you spend a lot of time with some well grounded and intelligent cats. Cats don't worry and stay present in the moment. Glad you are off chemo. Thank you for putting your experience out there. Whether and how we choose to fight this is a hard topic, but something we all need to consider for ourselves.

>Z<

• momallthetime
    momallthetime Member Posts: 1,375
    edited November 2016

Babs your trip is a dream. You waited for this a long time, got the wardrobe? This time with Dad is so precious. Enjoy

Patti thank for sharing.

Z i see you as a powerwoman. Good example for your precious little girls.

Steph you know I hear you, and I know you wanna prepare me, i take meds so i could sleep at night because my thoughts are constantly running, but we cannot accept it yet. She is dealing with major mouthsores, but could be from Rads to the area also, so...All we could do is hope it goes away soon. And I just reread the report and I see not only in the mesentery where I knew there is been something there, but in the peritoneum. She says she feels some pain in the area, but she also doesn't wanna know and at the same time yes. I was reading and found that you had told people about the thread about peritoneum, so I'll add it to my following.

We'll see how the stuff is working next week after Pet/Ct.

Artist how are you? Aurora?

Everyone, hugs and hugs

• zarovka
    edited November 2016

((MomAllTheTime)) Praying for Dani's complete healing.

>Z<

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited November 2016

Today is Dads actual 95 th. So glad to be with him!

Bab

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2016

Babs,You are taking my dream trip and I hope you have a FABULOUS time! That is pretty special going with your Dad.

Stephanie and Z, I am very curious and interested in the Misletoe tx too. Think it's time to find a complimentary oncologist for some ideas. Stephanie I hope your troubling symptoms settled down and you are more comfortable this evening.

Mom, thanks for asking about me when you have so much else to think about with Dani. I think about you two all the time and like Z pray for her complete healing. I am doing pretty OK as far as I know, still working full time. I have next scans coming up right after Thanksgiving. I have been having some new stabbing sensations so won't be shocked if they say that dreaded word "progression". The scanxiety is starting.....

We have had our house up for sale since August and may finally have a buyer on the line. I hope to get that done and downsize a lot. I think it will help my too cluttered mind! Plus free up some funds as I would like to do a few trips before I get too sick to do so. Never been much of anywhere.

Patti, I hope giving up the treatment helps you feel much better and that you just continue on with life.

• sharethehope
    sharethehope Member Posts: 37
    edited November 2016

Starting Taxol also. Understand its not as bad as the treatments I've so far. Everyone's different best to wait & see how U do. Don't stress on what might happen. U'll be OK.

• babs6287
    edited November 2016

artisthea. Came back from Florida and seeing my dad Thursday night. Thank god he's doing well. My DH and I leave Monday night for Paris. Can't wait. My dds boyfriend is so sweet. He's making us a thanksgiving dinner and invited his sister and step sisters too Then we're spending the weekend in Strasbourg meeting his parents and the rest of his siblings. Can't wait but truthfully I'm exhausted!!!!

Babs

• Sattipearl
    Sattipearl Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2016

Babs,

A perfect opportunity to let others take care of you. Let them.....they'll love it.

Love,

Patti

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited November 2016

Good news from our visit to the oncologist yesterday. My wife's CA-15 is down to 25 from a peak last April of 449. The oncologist is suggesting we start considering switching off of xeloda and to something milder, that wouldn't be as hard on her. Such as an aromatase inhibitor, possibly paired with palbociclib. It's hard to give up something that is currently working, and continuing to lower her TM's every cycle. Her platelets got down to 49 and her neutrophils to 1.15 this cycle. I'm kind of thinking it makes more sense to just follow what he said previously, and that is to simply take more time off xeloda, as he now considers it maintenance treatment. There are women who have been on xeloda for 4 years or more. So why not continue?

• rpoole1962
    rpoole1962 Member Posts: 386
    edited November 2016

Hi Timothy, I'm thinking like you....If its working so great...why switch! I think taking the extra off time would help her counts. I hope she continues to do great on this drug for a long time. This is great news leading into Thanksgiving holiday, so go enjoy the holiday with no worries!

Robin

• babs6287
    edited November 2016

Timothy I agree. If it's not broke why fix it! It's so hard to give up any drug that works!!!

Bab

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited November 2016

One more vote from me for keeping on Xeloda. I take longer breaks than are studied between carboplatin cycles to keep counts up and I haven't lost any efficacy. Feel well too. We won't switch until there's progression. Best wishes! So glad your wife is doing well.

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited November 2016

Kaayborg, how long of breaks do you take between cycles of carboplatin vs the standard?

• kaayborg
    edited November 2016

The standard for the gemzar/carbo combo is two weeks on, one week off. I have dropped the gemzar entirely and do just carbo, two weeks on, two weeks off, though a good number of times the two weeks off has turned to three weeks (sometimes b/c of counts, sometimes b/c of summer vacation plans) with still no progression. I was seeing platelet counts as low as your wife's when we added the extra week. I hover in the upper 60s through mid-70s now and have been able to stick with just two weeks off since end of August. Every week I think I'm going fail but I just keep sliding by.

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited November 2016

good morning ladies I'm usually on the bone met thread but I have a question for you all😊

A very good friend of mine recently found out on a ct scan that her bone mets are now in her liver she is Er+Pr+ her - . When the found it it was 3 mm long two weeks later it was an inch and a half . This raised the concern that her cancer had changed to triple negative. So they decided to do a ablation which was done on Monday. After a lot of pain and discomfort she found out they missed the tumour completely. Now they want to do it again on the 29th of this month. She wants to go on holiday Dec. 10th as doesn't know what to do. She still is waiting for her biopsy results. Any help from you ladies would be very much appreciated😊

Wend

• zarovka
    edited November 2016

Hi Wendy. I am sorry to hear about your friend. These are my thoughts

You don't mention that they had taken a biopsy of the new tumor. It is important to know the exact status of the cancer in the liver. The treatment plan would be different based on the biopsy.

With the tumor growing so fast, they need start some kind of systemic treatment ASAP. She needs to be on an appropriate systemic treatment whether or not they do the ablation.

Once she is on a systemic treatment, the ablation can probably wait. She might be able to get the systemic treatment started, go on vacation and do the ablation when she gets back.

Did she get a biopsy? Is she on a systemic treatment?

>Z<

• Wendy3
    Wendy3 Member Posts: 872
    edited November 2016

Zarovka she is not getting any treatment yet but I will double check. She is still,waiting for the results of the biopsy. My advice to her was to wait and get the results so she would have all the information. Just made sense to me. Thank you so much😊

Wendy

• zarovka
    edited November 2016

Rapidly growing tumors respond well to systemic treatments and the most important thing, IMO, is to get it under control by systemic treatment. Ablation in addition to systemic therapy seems appropriate given the aggressiveness of the tumor and I would do it, but I doubt the timing matters a lot. Definitely a question for her doctor.

I've been there. I learned I had Stage IV cancer 2 days before I was supposed to leave on a 3 week trip to Peru. My doctor told me to go on the trip and start treatment afterwards. She said there would be no significant impact on the outcome. Being in that early state of terror, I figured that meant I would die in a year whether I or not I started treatment immediately. It's been about a year and I am far from dead and glad I went to Peru.

>Z<

• momallthetime
    edited November 2016

Stephanie has passed on. Stephanie, let us accompany her, she prepared us for this hour. But it hit me just the same.Stephanie you were truly an unbelievable person, so full of life.You helped us so much, you helped me so much. Your caring knew no boundaries, i honestly could write paragraphs about you. What a true friend. You will be missed. Thank you. God Bless.

Wendy knowing very little, the doctor wants systemic systemic. Even for brain mets. They made my daughter wait for Rads bcs they wanted the Brain Mets to go aways sytemically, it did not go very well for her. So she did the Rads. But as Z said, systemic.

• momallthetime
    edited November 2016

Wendy knowing very little, the doctor wants systemic systemic. Even for brain mets. They made my daughter wait for Rads bcs they wanted the Brain Mets to go aways sytemically, it did not go very well for her. So she did the Rads. But as Z said, systemic.

• momallthetime
    edited November 2016

Timothy your instincts are very important. What everyone is recommending here, sound very plausible. Good wishes on your decision.

The way things are now, D's TM's went down literally, just a few digits, but they haven't been for awhile, but just this week went up again 2 digits. May times have read in these threads, that Tm's sometimes go up, and it's still could mean that treatment is working. Let's see what Onco has to say.

Pet/CT showed some lesions were stable, but some got worse, some got smaller. The same for the bone mets.

Hope and patience. Hope and patience.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited November 2016

Mom, my tumor markers went up on Xeloda for a while before they went down but it was working the whole time. Others have had the same experience.

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618
    edited December 2016

I wanted to let you know that Holeinone passed on October 12. I got a nice thank you card from her daughter. She was last seen on BCO September 10.

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited December 2016

Smaarty, thank you for letting us know about holeinone . I am so sorry to know she passed , she was a really nice and kind person. May her soul rest in peace . My deepest condolences to her family and friends.

• zarovka
    edited December 2016

Thank you for letting us know. My thoughts are with her family.

>Z<

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited December 2016

Very sad. Peace be with you, Holeinone.

• babs6287
    edited December 2016

Smaarty. So sorry to hear about Hole inone. Another angel has left us

Babs

• babs6287
    edited December 2016

Had my scans on Wednesday and I've had more progression In just 2 months on CMF I have more mets in my liver and the ones I originally had have doubled in size. Looks like I'm on to Taxol now. Once a week for 3 weeks and then a week off. Time to get my wig out!

Bab

• kaayborg
    edited December 2016

I am very sad to hear about Holeinone. It shouldn't be. It shouldn't be.

Babs, hang in there. Always a shock how things can progress so quickly. It sounds like you are weathering your news gracefully. Vent when needed.

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited December 2016

I am sorry to hear of holeinone's passing. We lose too many people to this disease.

Hugs Babs- thinking of you. We are here for you.