How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited April 2017

For the past month I've noticed swelling in the liver area. Now, my kids have noticed. I go to my MO on Tuesday and I will ask.

How is acites diagnosed? It wasn't mentioned on my PET in March. I'm due for another one in June. If that's what it is, what do they do about it? It is uncomfortable but not painful.

Of course at this point, I am six days out from y90. It seems logical that my liver would feel swollen/inflamed. But, I started noticing it weeks before the the y90.

It's probably just part of being a livermetster. My spell check does not like these made up words. Ha

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited April 2017

Artist, I have discovered that it is easier to get through things by focusing on the positive than dwelling on the negative. I fear that I would find myself hiding in the corner weeping if I changed my outlook. To be honest, I have many things to be grateful for. My DH came through a horrendous year and a half of illnesses and is now, since his most recent (and hopefully last) surgery, he is the picture of health. I am feeling pretty darn good two years into MBC. I admit to being more nervous about my dh's scans that are coming up on May 1 than I am when I have my own, but we have found out that we are stronger than we ever realized and deal with things because we have to. We share a strange sense of humor and can sometimes laugh at our own situations. Laughter helps sometimes. At any rate, we have been given yet another spring, and by golly, I am going to enjoy it.

Lynne

• 50sgirl
    edited April 2017

Has anyone heard from Momallthetime? I am worried about her and Dani. Maybe she just needed to take a break

Grannax2, I have no answer to your question about swelling, but you should probably call your MO to ask if it is something to be concerned about. If they tell you it's just a normal part of the treatment, you can relax a bit. Oh, and that spellcheck can get me in trouble sometimes. It wants to change some words into ones with completely different meanings.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited April 2017

Thank you for your congratulations on my scan, Zarovka, Stefajoy, Babs, and Artist. Lol, Stefanie, about slaying dragons. With my little Hobbit dagger, right? It's nice to read all your encouraging comments, because I don't feel too excited, having actually wanted to hear that I'd had a complete response! My nurse used to call my labs my report card, and when my TMs dropped so nicely on Taxol she called me an A-student. I want to be an A-student again. Waiting for May TMs.

Grannax, when my onc and I wanted to check for ascites, we chose CT with contrast as the best mode to visualize. She also ran CA 125 on my blood test, which is a TM used for ovarian cancer that can also indicate peritoneal mets. (Both tests normal for me, no ascites.)

Lynne/50sgirl, well-done on the team effort with DH, the gratitude, and the humor. Let's all enjoy the Spring!

• KDs-Husband
    KDs-Husband Member Posts: 75
    edited April 2017

Stefanie, I admire the calmness you exude during this time. I am curious which plan you and your MO will choose going forward. Praying that it will be effective with as few SE's as possible.

Lynne, I was checking earlier this morning and noticed that "Mom" hasn't posted for about 11days. I too am concerned about them. I just sent her a pm letting her know that she is missed and her friends are concerned.

I too love your positive attitude. I try to choose to remain positive and keep a sense of humor at all times. I do o.k., except at 2 am in a hospital when KD has a 103 fever and is talking out of her head.... 😂

Shetland, my prayer tonight will be that all the ladies on BCO be Honor Roll students.

Grannax, KD has had no experience with ascites, but she has dealt with various stages of irritated and enlarged liver. When it gets enlarged, she describes it as if there is a tight "band" being stretched across the top of her abdomen. It's like you said, not so much as painful as it is uncomfortable. She just calls it "the band".

Z, you are remarkable in your knowledge and your encouragement of others, not only by your words, but also by your example of how to live with MBC.

Letmywifelive, you were spot on about KD. It was a combination of a viral issue combined with an abnormal reaction to her pain meds. I hope your bride is doing well these days.

As for KD, she has slept almost the entire day. GOOD, DEEP, RESTORATIVE SLEEP!!! When she has awaken, her voice has been stronger and her communication is much clearer. And, her numbers continue to improve

Louis

• ShetlandPony
    edited April 2017

Louis, I'm so glad to hear that KD is doing better! You are so right about sleep being important for healing. It can be hard to sleep in the hospital, but I bet weekends are better.

• letmywifelive
    letmywifelive Member Posts: 303
    edited April 2017

Louis - It's great to hear that KD is on her path of recovering from this ordeal.

I also have not heard from mom in a while and just sent her a message.

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited April 2017

Louis - Thank you for stopping by to let us know. Wonderful news!!! A few more days of good sleep and things will be back to normal.

>Z<

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited April 2017

I too sent Momall a PM last week. I have her phone number but I'm a bit nervous to use it. I hope all is ok. Will text her in a few

Babs

• zarovka
    edited April 2017

Thanks Babs. She hasn't been on since April 12ish. Not responding to PMs. Maybe just a text letting her know that 10's of women she's never met have her and Dani in their prayers. You know... something that doesn't require a response.

>Z<

• babs6287
    edited April 2017

Z. I sent her a text last night. No response. This gets me very nervous!!!! I'm praying for them both!

Babs

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited April 2017

I have been thinking of mom and Dani, too. It hurts not to hear mom's words advocating for her daughter. I like my sideline cheerleader role.

ShetlandPony: I truly understand your disappointment on your latest scan. My first CT scan after that brutal AC only showed just subtle decrease in widespread liver mets. I broke down and cried hard in MOs office. I wanted to hear differently. She said to give it time for treatments to work and together we would monitor the Ca15.3, scans, labs and symptoms. I am better and you and your scans will get better, too.

Thanks to all for sharing your journeys with this disease. I learn from you.

Sandi

• babs6287
    edited April 2017

Hi All

I heard from Momall. She's just been crazy busy with her uncle too. I'll speak to her later today.

Bab

• 50sgirl
    edited April 2017

Thank you, Babs. She has a lot on her plate.

• KDs-Husband
    KDs-Husband Member Posts: 75
    edited April 2017

She certainly does.

As a caregiver who is battling with weight issues, I have grown to hate that phrase. When people tell me I have a lot on my plate, I reply "Yes I do, and I eat every bite of it!!" 😬

Prayers for Mom's uncle as well.....

Louis

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited April 2017

Just catching up after a week of vacation. This thread always leaves plenty of reading material if you don't stay on it. And geez, so glad to be able to get to the good news by the end. So glad Dani is okay and that KD is getting better and that Shetland's scans while mixed are still ultimately, good. Steroids keep me up but I must ATTEMPT to sleep. Take care you wonderful people. You are blessings.

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited April 2017

Hope you did something wonderful on vacation with your beautiful girls kaayborg!

• Scwilly
    Scwilly Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2017

What, if any, pain do you experience from liver mets?

I was dx'd in Oct'16 after getting sudden onset extremely severe pain. I first started with Anastrozole (Arimidex) - the pain quickly subsided (after a weeks or two on strong pain killers which I was able to stop) My scans in Jan were mixed with some shrinkage and some slight and not really significant growth to a couple of spots, with a new little (7mm) spot appearing on the top edge of my liver. My MO added Ibrance in Feb. Since Jan I've had what I would describe discomfort which is there when I breathe deeply, and waxes and wanes. Sometime it feels a little worse - eg this week other times it's v mild. I just wondered how everyone else gets on.

For me tumour markers have never shown much. My liver markers which shot up lats Oct are now back to normal. I know it's all in the scans ( my next one is in a few weeks) but I wanted to get my head round the discomfort/pain I feel.

Sending healing and warm wishes to you all.

Sarah

Hug

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    edited April 2017

scilly, at diagnosis I had two very small liver mets and felt no pain from them. My pain was from multiple bone mets. This past November through January, I had a nagging mild right flank pain and rising tumor markers. My February PET scan showed no activity in the liver and stable bone mets. My tumor markers have since come down and the pain has gone.I had fully expected activity in the liver, so who knows? good luck with the upcoming scan, may it put your mind at ease. Best, MJH

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited April 2017

Hi Scwilly, I was diagnosed in Oct 2016 with widepread liver mets. I never knew I had anything brewing- discovered on a CT scan ordered for shortness of breath. (Which turned out to be tumor cells in lung arterioles.)

So I never felt pain in liver area. My liver enzymes and TMs have dropped, like yours, since diagnosis and the liver mets continue to improve. On occasion, I feel an ache on the right side under ribs, but I just tell myself it is the chemo/AI working and killing cancer cells.

I hope your next scan gives you answers to your continued pain issues. I am sorry you have this added worry.

• ShetlandPony
    edited April 2017

Thank you for your kind words, SandiBeach. Hi, kaayborg, welcome back! How often do you get those steroids?

Scwilly, I could still feel things in my liver while scans and tumor markers were improving dramatically on taxol. My onc said she didn't know exactly why we feel it, but she hears that from patients. I think that in a way, the liver has been injured, so it could hurt even if the cancer is getting better. Maybe that pain is from the liver healing, and changing back to a more normal size and shape. It sounds like your liver enzymes may be reliable for you and it is a good sign that they are normal now.

That's really interesting MJH. Maybe something started happening in your liver and your body and your drugs beat it back.

• zarovka
    edited April 2017

I have constant and sometimes intense burning in my breast and rib cage around the site where I used to have lesions. It's been particularly intense over the last couple months, and my PET scan showed significant improvement in that area since December. I had the same burning and aching last spring, when my scans also showed significant improvement.

Of course, this is breast, you all are talking liver, but it does suggest that it can hurt for things to heal and return back to normal, as Shetland says. Not all pain is cancer. In fact, cancer is mostly asymptomatic in the breast and liver until gets quite advance, or so I am told.

>Z<

• Scwilly
    Scwilly Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2017

Thank you for all for your reassurances. I am hoping its the drugs stirring up my liver. It makes sense and I am less worried. I did start my current round on Monday and its been niggling me a bit more since then. Who knows! I should work at being distracted and busy - as I've been focusing on how I feel. Its hard not to think too much. This is such a mental as well a physical time. What will be willl be and Im on a great regume. I knew you would all be here for me. Thankyou. Your support is invaluable.

Heart

• ShetlandPony
    edited April 2017

We're all in this together, Scwilly. I agree that keeping busy helps, especially if it is something creative to really engage your mind. Escape reading also works. Also going outside and focusing on what all your senses can pick up. Ok, everybody say your favorite way to get your mind off cancer worries.

• artistatheart
    edited April 2017

Watching a comedy movie! Beading jewelry.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited April 2017

yoga on the beach

• artistatheart
    edited April 2017

Welcome scWilly! I get pain in the liver are too since the beginning with improved scans but also have a rib met on that side so who knows. My TM's are rising so next scan will tell a lot.

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited April 2017

All great ways to get your mind off cancer many of which I do and enjoy! I have to say that comedy is especially helpful. Straight after diagnosis my hubby and I watched lots and I gained a new appreciation for all comedians and writers of anything funny. Those people seriously make the world a better place in a way a never fully realized before. I specifically remember drafting words of gratitude in my head to Jimmy Fallon for bringing me such relief from my woes!

• zarovka
    edited April 2017

Take all the band, orchestra AND choir middle school kids from your town to Denver for the weekend ... in a snowstorm!

>Z<

• cive
    cive Member Posts: 265
    edited April 2017

Wondering when you're gonna get your second wind as you complete the first lap of two, dog in tow.