How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• thrivingmama
    thrivingmama Member Posts: 133
    edited October 2018

coolbluewater - thanks for the update about your sister. She'll be in my thoughts tomorrow. Scans can be so stressful and exhausting. I hope she gets her results quickly and that they are good. Please keep us updated.

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited October 2018

coolbluwater. I've never heard of so many twists and turns for hormone receptors. She's now NNN? Is that by liver BX? Just throwing this out there, you might want to check into local treatment for liver tumors. I had radioembolization with SIR Spheres y90. It worked for eighteen months.

• coolbluewater
    coolbluewater Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2018

thanks thriving mama, her scan is done now and now comes the waiting.

Grannax2, yes, currently triple negative and each change was confirmed by liver biopsies. Relieved she had this option and was supported by her MO because after ibrance failed, if they hadn’t biopsied, she’d be getting the wrong treatment.

I have mentioned Y90 to her thanks to what you and others have said about it. Her doctors told her that her Mets on the liver are the “eyes” to what the cancer is doing so they didn’t recommend at this point

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited October 2018

Coolbkuewater, interesting statement from the doctor about not wanting to treat the liver mets with Y90 because they are the “eyes" to see what is going on with the cancer. I would say that is a luxury that no one with liver mets can afford to take. Sounds crazy to not treat the cancer with an effective local therapy so the doctors can see what it is doing!

• skyfly
    skyfly Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2018

coolbluewater,

It sounds like she has a team of doctors, but if not just an fyi most insurance will cover a second opinion

• coolbluewater
    coolbluewater Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2018

Prelim results are in - the short version. Stable to shrinking. She was hoping for NED, but maybe next scan or the one after....(*hope is a good thing*)

Liver:

21mm X 16mm is now down to 18mm X 15mm

7mm X 5mm, no change

Lung:

5mm X 4mm is now 2mm X 2mm

6mm X 5mm nodule is now 4mm X 4mm

4 X 4 nodule has resolved

No new lung nodules

Lymph nodes that were formerly enlarged are no longer enlarged

Bone is still stable

My sister has had second and third opinions - I think the plan is to see where the trial takes her and then to consider IR or other treatments after.

• thrivingmama
    thrivingmama Member Posts: 133
    edited October 2018

coolbluewater - great news that the directional trend is good! Shooting for NED next time. 3 months until the next scan?

Also, just wanted to say that I also went from ER/PR+ initially, to ER+/PR- after neoadjuvant chemo, to TN liver mets (which showed up while on ibrance, which clearly failed to stop the TN liver mets). My care path also was anti local liver met treatment until after doing systemic treatment and monitoring response.

• Bubblebeard
    Bubblebeard Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2018

hey there everybody, newbie here. I've been reading a bit and I seem to be joining at such a sensitive time, I was so sorry to read about your friend Babs. She sounds like a truly amazing woman.

I am 37 years old... My son is going to be 7 in January. I was diagnosed with liver Mets the beginning of August this year after being disease free from stage 3b (er+ , her-). I went through the gamut the first time... AC and taxol, bilateral mastectomy with lymph node removal on the left side, and radiation on the left. I continued on hormone therapy with the combination of zoladex and Anastrozole. I did not react well to the Anastrozole so after a year on that they switched me to tamoxifen.

After finding the liver metastases and confirming with biopsy my oncologist immediately started me on eribulin. I have done 4 rounds and each time on my week off I felt fantastic. I felt like the tumor was shrinking, I looked good again and I felt good again. I am on my week off and about to have scans Monday and I feel great. Except for one thing. My liver tumor is 22 + centimeters. Well it was, I'm hoping to see some shrinkage on my scans. I guess my main question is kind of odd... I couldn't really find anybody describing this anywhere. And it just may be because my primary liver met is so large. But the past day or so it's felt like I have a softball sitting under my ribs. I had never felt the tumor before and I'm absolutely terrified this means that it's all of a sudden growing. just to be clear I'm not having pain on my liver at all, I can just feel it inside me when I'm moving around.

I am in a really dark place right now to be perfectly honest. I know most of us are at the beginning. I wish I had the positive attitude that so many seem to show. I am crying on and off with the thought that my little boy won't have me around anymore but at the same time I see all these women living years and years. Any and all advice is welcome and anyone who has any words of wisdom about what I'm feeling under my ribs would be greatly appreciated. It's caused me two panic attacks today already.

So that's the beginning of my stage 4 story. I look forward to learning from all of you beautiful Warriors

• Karz72
    Karz72 Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2018

Hi Bubblebeard, I don't have any answers for you. I can only say keep on breathing & keep on believing. I have a 9 year old daughter so I know the panic attacks the fear of leaving our kids brings on.

And call your onc if your next appointment is a way away, that's the one "benefit" of being stage 4 - no one can accuse you of being a hypochondriac! thinking of you.

~K,

• daywalker
    daywalker Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2018

Hi Bubblebeard

I'm really sorry you find yourself here, the one place none of want to be but strangely enough draw comfort from. I have to say, I am amazed that you haven't felt that size tumor yet, which is a good thing in and of itself. I have read of a few women on here who have "felt" their tumors as treatment started working, so it really could be that, or it could be the anxiety related to scans coming up. It is a nasty experience, the whole scanxiety, my body always feels worse a few days before... If you can, tell yourself to be scared in one hour's time, not now, and when the hour comes, repeat it until you go to bed. Fear serves no purpose for you now, but I know it is much easier said than done. I have three boys, the youngest is 9. I really can identify with your emotions and fears. I am praying for you during this wait, and for the scan itself xx

• Grannax2
    edited October 2018

I wish I had some advice for you. I do have liver mets, but they are inactive right now because of a successful y90 in May 2017. I don't know anything about the chemo you are on but I hope it's working on that big, bad tumor.

Did the pathology on the liver tumor show the hormone receptors? Mine was ERPR+HER-. So I've been on Ibrance/letrozole since January 2017. It's working on my lung and chest mets.

I hope you get good news on Monday.

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    edited October 2018

Bubble- welcome to liver mets land, the twisted amusement park that no ones chooses to experience. I hope your scan shows tumor DEATH! If not, there are other treatments that will work. Xeloda is very effective against liver mets and you may be a candidate for Y90 radioembolization. I have a 9 year old grandson we are raising, and the thought of him losing his Granny is almost more that I can bear. Mostly, I keep that thought burried, but every so often.........

Best, Mary Jane

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148
    edited October 2018

Hi Bubblebeard,

I'm a newbie here on this thread, and felt compelled to post after reading your story, as we have so many similarities. I'm 46 and married with a 10 year old son and twin 13 year old daughters. I was diagnosed with Stage 2A in 2014 and had a BMX, chemo, radiation, and after that did 3 years of Arimidex and Zometa every 6 months for osteoporosis.

In early August this year, felt fullness in my right quadrant and bloating. CT discovered widespread mets in my liver, largest measuring 13x8x16cm. The size of this mass freaks me out, as I have not seen anyone on these boards with anything this large! I feel no pain, but do feel the mass under my ribs as you described. So you are not alone in that. A radiologist told me masses this size can go undetected because there is a lot of space under the ribs in the intestinal area that it can grow in. I never noticed the mass until after diagnosis.

I started Gemzar/Taxol at the beginning of September. I also sought a 2nd opinion with a MO at Stanford. She thought Gemzar/Taxol might be too aggressive and suggested weekly Taxotere, but was ok if I wanted to go with the more aggressive Gemzar/Taxol, which I did choose to do. It's been 6 weeks now and a repeat CT shows no progression in any lesions, and a slight decrease in largest lesion 11x7x14cm. Im disappointed that there wasn't more shrinkage but my MOs tell me that no progression/stable and some shrinkage is good news. My liver enzymes which were elevated, are trending down now. So I continue with the Gemzar/Taxol for 3 more cycles.

Positive thoughts for you for a good scan next week, hoping you get great results. I have never felt such fear in my life...and the sheer size of my mass is so scary. Thank you for posting...I hate that you are going through this nightmare too...but now I don't feel so alone.

PB

• Bubblebeard
    edited October 2018

thank you so much for all the kind words! After reading I knew that this was the place to ask my questions :-) I have been doing the Google self torture for way too long.

They did a biopsy and I am estrogen receptor-positive. So the plan was after this scan DOES show some shrinkage they were going to switch me to the combination of ibrance and an estrogen receptor blocker along with zoladex. There was also some talk about taking out my right ovary as it's the only one I have left and it would rid the need of taking zoladex. I guess the less meds the better. My friend had offered up the suggestion that I didn't feel it before because I had so much bloating and then there's the possibility that was suggested above... I didn't know it was there before so every feeling I had I probably wrote off as something else.

I'm not glad that I have stage 4 cancer but I am certainly glad that I found this particular forum. I have never heard of the y-90 treatments until I came here and I will be talking to my oncologist about that next Friday.

Thank you again ladies for bringing me back to reality. Being that my son is only 6 he does not really understand the seriousness of all this. And I don't think I want him to quite yet. He remembers me going through it the first time and I think he just thinks it's going to be like that. Mommy will lose her hair for a while and be sick but then she's going to get better. So I've been doing my best to act normal for him and I think that's why I end up breaking down when I'm by myself.

• Bubblebeard
    edited October 2018

pboi....

I am sorry to hear of your similar situation. It's so tough with little ones. But I was kind of in the same spot as you, I hadn't seen anybody on here mentioning a tumor anywhere near my size and it completely freaked me out. Hoping it's not that big when I go check it out on Monday and yours is shrinking as we speak

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited October 2018

Welcome, Bubblebeard. The liver sensation could be from the medicine working. I have a painful liver and can feel the location of my main tumors every time I start a new med. I do feel pressure when it is growing as well. However, it feels a bit different. More of a non-specific general pressure in liver. Also, I recently read that the liver can expand up to 40% in size and shrink again during the day. That may play a part as well. You definitely have an unusually large tumor, although I am not convinced that is a bad thing. My tumors never get that big because they spread before they have a chance to grow that large. Very diffuse and then my innumerable tumors eventually conglomerate into one large blob. The fact that your tumor is staying put and is not breaking off and spreading too much into a million different mutated versions of itself could be a good thing and easier to treat. I have a 3-year old son, about to turn 4. I was diagnosed with stage 4 while pregnant with him at 38. It makes me sick to think he will in all likelihood grow up without a mother. I haven't told him yet - although he has noticed some things over the few years. Your son must have been little when you were stage 3 (5 years old?). Do you think he remembers a lot about it or just bits and pieces?

Pboi, welcome as well. Liver tumors take a while to shrink. They typically become inactive first and the shrinking follows. 2cm since the beginning of September is a great amount of shrinkage - it is just challenging for you because you are starting with such a large tumor so the progress will seem slower. Shrinking mets is a great thing, regardless of whether it is happening at a snail's pace or rapidly. Stable with no shrinkage is great too. Statistically, it is not thought to matter in overall survival whether someone is stable or actually "NED".

• Bubblebeard
    edited October 2018

JFL,

I had heard that from so many women and never felt it myself... I really hope that is what I'm feeling (that this feeling is the treatment killing this nasty cancer). This morning I woke up with kind of a dull ache in the area , I can still kind of feel what I think must be the tumor. I had not thought to be grateful for just having one big tumor instead of diffuse ones but that's a great point.

I'm somewhat anxious also because they took me off the zoladex when they found this tumor and started me on the chemo but if there is shrinkage and I'm going to be starting Arimidex or something similar next Friday I feel like I should have been getting my zoladex injections to prepare me for that ( thanks to chemo brain this did not occur to me until last night, and I know it's unrelated but how annoying is chemo fog? I used to be so sharp and I feel like an idiot now). I know that chemotherapy kind of shuts down your ovaries but I'm definitely not going through menopause... I haven't had any of the hot flashes or symptoms that I had when I was on the zoladex. I called my nurse today to see if I could at least get the injection Monday when I went in for the scan so I'm a week ahead so she is asking my doctor... you really do have to be your own Advocate don't you? This is all in preparation for what I hope is an improved scan... If not at least stable.

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis while pregnant, I can't imagine. What a miracle baby . . I know that there are other women in my situation which gives me hope but at the same time makes me sad because I don't want anyone to be feeling the way that I'm feeling now. Your little one is such a blessing but I know how scary it must be with them being so young.

My little guy was almost 4 when I started my treatments, he's almost 7 now and old enough to talk about it and he really seems to only remember bits and pieces. He remembers that I had no hair and then I had to wear wigs. He remembers the surgery a little bit, but not much I don't think. And I think that's about it. I know he looks at me like I can beat anything, so I just have to keep trudging forward. In a way I guess I'm lucky... I have the biggest tumor that I've seen on any of these forums but my liver enzymes are normal and I'm really not sick at all. Except for the chemo side effects at the moment.

I'm trying not to dwell on it too much because there's really nothing I can do at this moment I guess. My pet scan and MRIs are on Monday so since I have no other symptoms (slightly decreased appetite... But that's been going on since the beginning) just trying not to think about it over the weekend. We're taking my little guy to his schools Trunk or Treat tonight and I'm just trying to enjoy my family .

Much Love, Jenna

• pboi
    edited October 2018

JFL...thank you so much for your comments. It does make me feel better about not getting a more dramatic response. I'm praying that this will shrink fast, but am coming to learn that stability and no progression can be ok too.

Bubblebeard...I'm amazed that if you get shrinkage that you can move to the anti-hormonals already, that's great. Both of my MOs have mentioned a possibility of anti-hormonals in the future, but not until my large tumor shrinks by a lot. Their plan for me if the next scan continues to be positive is to drop the Gemzar and continue with the Taxol.

PB

• Bubblebeard
    edited October 2018

pboi... I was really surprised they were already talking about anti-hormone tx already as well. I was expecting to be on chemo for quite awhile and although I don't like it, I am tolerating it well. Another patient at Moffit, I don't know how much truth there is to this, says that often large tumors shrink quickly. I'm hoping that's the case but you never know.

I am learning a lot just from this one thread and I have so many more questions to ask my oncologist on Friday. Why have I not started on zoladex already if she wants to even consider anti-hormone tx? It doesn't hurt to be on zoladex and chemotherapy at the same time so where is the hesitation? What percentage of shrinkage is she looking for before switching me to anti hormonal? Why have I never heard of y-90?

Maybe it's because clinically I'm doing so well... That is one thing that I have going for me. And my blood work is always normal. My elk Foss is elevated but it always has been. Since before I was ever diagnosed. My primary says it's a sign of information so God knows. I have so many autoimmune disorders.

here's the thing, and this is what I told my oncologist, I'm willing to do anything. I do not mind being sick to stick around for a few more years for my kiddo. I want to be here for my friends and family, and the holidays, and all the milestones. My son is starting to read, I'm not ready to go. I told her all this, she said she was going to look into trials and we would have a long discussion at our next meeting. And we sure will LOL again I'm so thankful to have found you ladies. You give me information and Hope.

• Grannax2
    edited October 2018

I had my monthly appt with MO. A funny thing happened, she heard a heart murmur. I'm 70 and no doc has ever heard a heart murmur. Why would that all of a sudden turn up? My son says it might be calcification causing stenosis in the valve. I'll go to my PCP on Monday and she will probably order an echocardiogram. My guess it's probably something that can happen as we age. I've just never heard if it at my age.

Also, I thought she would set up PET to follow up on my scare last month. But she wants to wait one more month for PET. I guess I see her reasoning. Since I took a month off of TX during my vacations, she want to do the PET after I've been on TX for three months. So it will be four months since my big scare till we get to see what was real and what was not. Grrr waiting 😟

• pboi
    edited October 2018

Bubblebeard...I know this is not quite the same, but I took Lupron in order to take Arimidex before I had my ovaries out. I started the Lupron at the same time I started the Arimidex. Perhaps your MO has not started you on Zolodex because they’re not certain until your scan results if you will go on an anti hormonal?

I asked both of my MOs about the possibility of Y-90 for me, but both didn’t believe that was an option for me. I’ve let that go for now, but keep it in mind as something I may want to consider at some point.

You mention trials, have you had genetic testing done on your biopsy? I had Strata testing which showed I have aFGFR1 amplification. Hopefully this info can help me down the road.

PB

• Daniel86
    Daniel86 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2018

Bubblebeard, my wife, too started Letrozole and her shot at the same time.

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited October 2018

Hello my dear dear BCO livermetsters and friends. I think of you and pray for you all daily.

I have 41 unread messages in my inbox. I've been gripping the bar on the roller coaster and of panic and hope. I have to dig very deep into my inner wells of strength to deal with this. I am obsessed with my family and their care. I struggle to balance an aggressive treatment strategy and being with my family, caring for them, feeding them. My respect for each of you and your path ... it's greater than it was if that is possible. I think we're talking about something immeasurable like love but you know what I mean.

I promise a tome on my experience at some point but here's a brief update and some thoughts. I write posts to you guys in my mind daily ...

I have been doing Abraxane with a water fast since April when I presented with 60%+ liver involvement. My July MRI showed an astonishing response. I water fast at least two days before and one day after IVs. In August my MO agreed to give me 2 chemos in one week and then give me 2 weeks off. During that IV week I water fast (tea and decaf but nothing else) starting 2 days before the first chemo and ending one day after, 7 days total. I now fast 1 out of every 3 weeks.

I am maintaining my weight and increasing my lean muscle mass under this regime. Fasting is protective against cachexia. Cachexia has zero to do with caloric intake and everything to do with inflammation. Fasting also protects against most chemo side effects and gastric issues in particular. When you digestion is not working you will not get well. Unfortunately does nothing for neuropathy.

Is it hard? In the beginning fasting is somewhere between hard and a nightmare. The average American (me in April) is not able to easily metabolize fat. I committed after reading the Longevity Diet by Valter Longo. I read it and knew I needed to combine fasting with chemo whatever it took.

After fasting periodically for 6 months, I've develop the metabolic pathways to run on ketones and I feel amazing. From this experience, it is clear to me that we are built to be in ketosis some and possibly all the time. Metabolic flexibility (the ability to switch between burning glucose and ketosis) is a cornerstone of health and cancer treatment, IMO.

I look forward to my weeks of fasting. I am on day 2 of 7 as I write. My mentors on fasting and cancer are Valter Long and Dominic D'Agostino. Neither researcher recommends a protocol as extreme as mine. It's not clear the research supports it, I just enjoy it. There are are far more accessible ways to implement fasting in your treatment if you are drawn to the idea.

Things were looking good doing chemo and fasting for a while but after my July scan my freakishly reliable TM's suggested a slowing response. In August TMs stopped dropping and started rising. Chemo resistance? Given where I started my response to Abraxane was amazing, but I need a treatment to last longer than 6 months if I want to be around for a while.

One reason for chemo resistance is lack of oxygen in tissues. Anemia (low RBC counts) and other factors caused by the chemo reduces delivery of oxygen to the tumor and everywhere in your body. Tumors love this (see metabolic theory of cancer), and it also reduces the oxygen available for the chemo to turn into Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS).

Oxidative stress is one mechanism off most chemo regimes. Cancer creates ROS, pushing ROS levels in their environment to levels that almost kill them, but not quite. Chemo adds a bit more ROS and bam, apoptosis (cell death).

It's one vicious circle after another with chemo and here's another one to consider …With time, chemo reduces O2 levels in tissue, interfering with it's own efficacy and improving the environment for cancer growth. Chemo causes anemia... RBC counts typically drop as you continue treatment. Mine have dropped from 8 mcL to less than 4 mcL. Less RBC, less delivery of O2 to tissue. I have also been monitoring my saturation of O2 on my hemoglobin with the finger sensor and noticed that it has dropped to below normal. I don't know the cause but suspect it is chemo related.

As my TM's slowly began to rise in August, I considered how to increase the oxygen saturation in my blood and plasma and dove into hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT), exercise with oxygen training (EWOT), adaptive contrast training (alternating the inhalation low and high oxygen concentrations).

I don't have access to hyperbaric oxygen chambers that reach a pressure found therapeutic for cancer. I have access to a 1.5 ATM chamber but the studies that show efficacy in cancer are done at 2.5ATM. I did ~20 HBOT treatments at 1.5ATM with enough effect to know I was on to something but it was a huge effort for not a huge effect.The main effect was to spend a lot of money and time.

Researching further, I found EWOT/Adaptive contrast training can also saturate the plasma with O2. EWOT is low cost to free, short (15-30 minutes per session) and provides all the additional benefits of daily doses of high intensity interval training (HIIT). I started at a local facility (google LIVEO2 to find facilities near you with an EWOT system with Adaptive Contrast).The effects on how I felt and wound healing were much more significant and immediate.

The lesions on my body are an interesting guage of how I am doing. Over time on chemo, my body became covered with open sores that do not heal. They became more numerous and inflamed with time. I postulate that whatever is going on in my skin is going on in my organs. As I got into EWOT I stopped getting new lesions and the lesions are beginning to heal. It's not a rapid process but it is improving. I was also getting an inflamed face which has stopped with EWOT.

I have subsequently built an EWOT system in my garage.There is a YouTube video on this.You can buy them for 2K-5K or build them out of used oxygen concentrators and mattress pads for <$500.

My liver MRI last week showed improvement since July. My last blood work showed TM's have stopped rising and plateaued. My CEA levels are freakishly reliable. I am going to take my first chemo break in 6 months and regroup.

Rising TMs suggest the chemo (Abraxane) started failing in August. Abraxane, on average, works for 6 months. That is about when my TMs started to rise. But what caused the TM's to stop rising in my blood work last week, what caused the response? Did the oxygen saturation make Abraxane effective again or did oxygen saturation act on it's own. The oxygen saturation could increase ROS on its own and generally screw up the cancer's metabolism (see metabolic theory of cancer) .Ketosis (fat metabolism due to fasting) plus oxygen saturation (HBOT) have been shown to have a huge effect on cancer and specifically breast cancer in mice.

Whatever the case, I am going to take a short break from chemo at this point, 6 months into treatment. It's a reasonable thing to do. I am going to skip my 2 IVs next week and see if I can drive down TMs with ketosis (fasting) and the EWOT regime (plus some other tricks, too much detail for a BCO post).

I am also considering sending a 1cm chunk of a tumor to Rational Therapeutics for functional profiling.It's a pretty straight forward and accurate way to find out if Abraxane is still working and, if not, what I should switch to. Straight forward, except for the surgery required to extract the chunk. I still need to sit down with the radiologist and my MRI images. I will figure out if there is an accessible chunk ..

Very very interested in experience with functional profiling, fasting and WTF I do next if this respite from panic is brief.

Z

There is a crack in everything, that is how the light gets in.
    - Leonard Cohen Anthem

• MuddlingThrough
    MuddlingThrough Member Posts: 655
    edited October 2018

zarovka, so very glad that you posted. Thank you for sharing your fasting and oxygen regimen. I'm in awe of your ability to fast, but when you say you feel amazing I'm so glad. Hoping your liver is more comfortable than when you had to lie over a bolster for some relief. I need to do better at fasting but at least I'm fasting at least 12 hours a day and often a little longer. The oxygen angle is intriguing. I still have my oxygen machine and some tanks. What do I do with them? Hmmmm. I'm looking forward to the tome you're going to post! Also sending all the best for you and for your focus on your family.

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    edited October 2018

Z-so good to hear from you and glad you are pursuing treatment that makes sense to you. Praying it works. Understand the desire to take tender care of your family. i am the same.

Best always, Mary Jane

• zarovka
    zarovka Member Posts: 2,959
    edited October 2018

Muddling Through - I run a hose from a 5L/min oxygen concentrator at night to my bed. I sleep with an oxygen mask for a while. At some point it gets to be too much. I take off the mask, put it nearby and let it blow 95% O2 into my face. Oxygen is good.

I wanted to mention that I have had increasing pain in the area of my liver since September. I assumed the liver was getting bigger and the cancer advancing (see rollercoaster of panic above). Figured treatment was failing of course. I assumed this even though my onc said the liver wasn't getting bigger. I assumed progression even though when I started chemo, my liver area was in a lot of pain while I had my spectacular response to Abraxane.

Per my scan last Wednesday, the tumors are dying and the liver is the same size at it was in July. No evidence the cancer is growing. I want to point out here, as many have, that pain in the liver area can be associated with healing. It can also be associated with advancing cancer but it never has in my case. I felt nothing while my cancer was going batshit crazy in March. Turns out a piece of it is costochondritis. Chiropractor took care of 60% of the pain in 10 minutes last friday. Says I should come back to take care of the rest.

Unfortunately, this information is unlikely to help if you have pain in your liver area ... the pain will get to your head. All I can say is hang on to that safety bar and pray. It's a roller coaster.

MJH - Thanks. Everything is very intense with the family ... and good. Grateful for this ... so glad to find you have this blessing in your life.

Off to soak in a float tank full of water saturated with magnesium. Helps the neuropathy and cramps.

Z

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2018

Welcome back, Z!!! The boards are definitely not the same without you!! Let us know what the options are for the next steps...

• Raven4
    Raven4 Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2018

Hi girls,

Need some answers. I have been running a temp since friday the day starts with normal temp, 97.8 then as day goes on it climbs the temp climbs around 9pm I am over 102. I take advil 400 mg before I go to sleep. wake up 97.8. They sent me to the ER where they took chest xray found nothing unusual. Later thatday( friday) I was admitted to the cancer ward into reverse isolation. They took blood cultures and kept me over the weekend, put me on Fortum x3 iv which is a gram neg./pos. antibiotic similar to KEFLEX. My dr. stopped the treatment I was supposed to have last thursday and also the xeloda Thank God). Over the weekend my total WBC climbed to 3.4 yesterday and leucocytes to 1.8. So I was discharged home. I had no temp at this charge but in the eveing back to 102. I called the onc unit. think it´s a virus. advize bed rest. Bloodwork on wdnesday ir before if it gets worse. Next treatment is thursday.

Has anyone had this happen. Last treat was zomex, navelbine and then the xeloda. that was on october 18. This was discoverd during blood draw my wbc were 2.5, not 4.0 like it usually is and kept dropping 2.2 lecocytes went to 1.0

Raven

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited October 2018

Great to hear from you Zarovka. You are always on the cutting edge of cancer treatment.

• Bubblebeard
    edited October 2018

hi raven4...

I had a very similar experience when I was hospitalized. It was when I actually was diagnosed with the liver Mets but I would run a normal temperature all day and then spiked a fever at night. They told me it was what was called a tumor fever.

If you look into it a little bit online it has a pretty distinct pattern usually. I wasn't allowed to take Advil so they just had me using cold compresses under my arms to bring my temp down. I don't know if this helps or not but you're definitely not alone. After my first round of chemo I stopped getting the tumor fever so I'm not sure exactly what it's related to

Best wishes