Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited April 2021

Hope I am so glad you are doing so well...I wonder why I didn't get that coil thing?? Maybe I wouldn't have had the stomach issues?? hrmmmm... I believe my treatment was in the same sections...I am still on the "HIGH" from what the IR said :)

Bliss so happy your pain and bloating has subsided :)

Bev still looking out for you...hope you are healing up

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited April 2021

HopeandGratitude, thanks for reporting in & glad everything well & you're doing ok! Fingers crossed for super smooth recovery.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited April 2021

Well I had the liver ultrasound today. The IR said he is going to aim for the one closest to the surface of my liver--- measured 1.5cm-- for the biopsy.

This IR is not at the same location as my normal cancer center. My normal center is a satellite site. And I had to go to the main campus for the ultrasound and for the biopsy procedure. Before I could even get home (2 hour drive) my normal center called me and had a date set for the biopsy. So the biopsy is next Wednesday the 28th. Boy, they move fast. Discussed the option of a biopsy with MO on April 19, had ultrasound on the 23rd to verify they could get to the lesion, and biopsy scheduled for the 28th. But, then the Tempus testing takes 3-4 weeks, per my MO.

• nicolerod
    edited April 2021

Candy glad they are getting that biopsy quick hope you get some answers with Tempus. In your pocket for next week :)

• candy-678
    edited April 2021

Forgot to add---

I asked the IR today a little about the pending biopsy. I had a liver biopsy at diagnosis in 2017. I had it locally and I know each facility may be different. He said that they use a local and would have sedation on "standby", but doesn't usually use it. The first time I had Fentanyl and Versed combo. They will keep me a "couple of hours" to monitor. The first time I was monitored for 4 hours (but had the meds).

Did you guys have meds with a biopsy??

• HopeandGratitude
    HopeandGratitude Member Posts: 520
    edited April 2021

Candy - SEDATION yes. Why would they not use it? What's their logic? Did you have issues with sedation? Local yes, but that's usually for insertion site etc. Sedation for you is what keeps you out of pain, keeps you still, and prevents any issues that could occur from you feeling pain and moving etc. I would not have a liver biopsy without one and I would question the facility that does not use sedation routinely.

Anyone else have something different???

• EymiG
    EymiG Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2021

I am so happy for you, Nicole! God is good all the time. I'm still waiting to hear back from my onco and IR if there is an earlier ultrasound guided liver biopsy available instead of waiting until 5/19. Until then I don't know what my treatment plan would be for multiple liver metastases (stage 4). God bless all of us.

• EymiG
    edited April 2021

Hello everyone, I just joined today and thank you Moth for sending me the thread. Your posts and updates are really encouraging and makes me stay positive. I am still waiting to hear back from my oncologist if there is an earlier available liver biopsy schedule instead of waiting until 5/19.

• HopeandGratitude
    edited April 2021

welcome EymiG to the group. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Many compassionate, smart, experienced people here and I rely on them a lot and often. I would push on the biopsy sooner rather than later. If it were me, i wouldn’t wait but would be making calls. Usually these can be scheduled quite quickly if you have a large enough hospital or facility. A month seems a long time to wait for a biopsy when you need a treatment plan

• EymiG
    edited April 2021

Thank you. I just got a call from my oncologist's office and I was informed that the radiologist was able to move the biopsy to an earlier schedule than 5/19. The hospital staff will call me with the new schedule.

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited April 2021

Candy, I had the Versed + Fentynal combo for my liver bx. I was concerned and questioned it, but all went well and I didn't feel a thing. Ask for anti-nausea meds. I had this same drug combo with my bone bx, but got no anti-nausea. I felt queasy and groggy afterwards. The gastro nurse told me she was glad I told her and ordered the meds. They only kept me in recovery a couple hours, too, but afterwards I felt alert and so so much better.

• Bliss58
    edited April 2021

Had my first Gemzar tx. So far, so good. I usually got sicker on the 3rd or 4th days with infused chemo, so we shall see. I do 3 wks. on and one off. Fingers crossed for kicking my cancer's butt!

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited April 2021

Welcome, EymiG. Sorry you're dealing with liver mets like the rest of us, but hopefully you find support here.

Candy, I had the same light or “twilight" sedation and meds you had for my biopsy. I know there were some points where they asked me to take a breath and hold it during the biopsy. I never felt pain and actually felt very calm and relaxed from the meds. I hope all goes well for you and you get some useful info.

Hope, I'm glad your Y90 is done and you're feeling ok.

Bev, Hope you're doing ok and can check in here to let us know how you're doing. Thinking of you. 🌻

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited April 2021

I also had versed + fentanyl for my two liver biopsies. I was not all the way out, but enough that I did not have pain or worry. Why would they not use this combo as a matter of course?

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited April 2021

Bev, if you are reading, you are in my thoughts. So many people here rooting for you.

• Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited April 2021

Candy, I have had 3 liver biopsies and each time they used Twilight sleep. I was kept for 4 hours for observation.

• candy-678
    edited April 2021

Thanks for your responses about twilight sedation with your liver biopsies. I had my first, and only, one done at my local rural hospital procedure area. They gave the Versed + Fentanyl. This cancer center is larger, and in the "big city". But, the rad said they have the meds (did not mention them by name) on standby, but give local and I would just feel some pressure. IDK maybe I will end up with the meds. We will see.

Also, here is another hum moment. I have a friend that had to have a procedure locally (our rural hospital) with putting a stent in his kidney. He had to have a Covid test 3 days before the procedure. Then, 6 weeks later, he had the stent removed--- another Covid test. Now, he is having an epidural steroid injection in his back (another situation), and, yet again, another Covid test in preparation. They said nothing about getting a Covid test in prep for my biopsy. Hum.... different facility, maybe that is it. Seems our local, small hospital does more than the "big city".

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited April 2021

I am catching up after week 2 of in person learning and RO consult and then mapping the next day. so glad to read the good news.

I hope everyone’s testing went ok and they are resting and recovering well.

After my RO consult and the doctors consulting with IR it was decided that my chest lesion is not able to be biopsies due to location ( too close yo heart, spine, lung). So I will have to take a pass as the possible consequences of biopsy were collapsed lung and catastrophic bleeding.

I will do radiation to my chest for 10 days starting Thursday. I already went in for the planning CT snd mapping and hot 4 more tattoos.

I am not looking forward to this but I have been told the dose will kill whatever cancer is there without harming all the vital tissues around. I most likely will have some esophagus issues during and after but i is something I have to accept yo get to the cancer. I am ok with the plan and really hope to be done with this issue forever ( cancer in chest ) it is not clear where the cancer is but it appears to be in the soft tissue abutted to my spine and near the right atrium. Not a good location.

I am sure it will be fine but I am scared. I have no way of knowing if it is BC, if it’s the same type of abC, or if it is a secondary cancer. due to treatment over 10 years. My mom passed away from cancer located in a similar site after 15 years. I am praying to not be in the same boat.

I will think of all of you as I go through the next 10 days of radiation. I am so blessed to have you in my pocket.

• nicolerod
    edited April 2021

LFF....I know what you mean about esphogus issues..that is my fear with SBRT to my C7 and T3... :(. That is the thng that has been holding me back..but I am afraid I may have to risk it as my pain is getting worse and mobility with my head/neck

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,030
    edited April 2021

Candy-With the twilight sedation, I would think that you will need someone to drive you home or to plan on staying overnight at a nearby hotel. Did they say anything about that? I had it for a spinal biopsy-I was able to go out for lunch with a friend when it was over but she did the driving. I wouldn't have felt comfortable driving on a busy road.

• candy-678
    edited April 2021

Chicagoan- I do have a driver--- a friend from church. The hospital told me that when they were going thru the prep stuff that I had to have a driver. No eating for 6 hours before, what time to be there, had to have a driver. So, I guess, if they have to give the "standby" twilight meds, then we are ready with a driver.

• candy-678
    edited April 2021

I think this is a good Thread to ask this---

My sister asked me about how long treatments last, on average, after first line therapy. I mean, I have had 3 1/2 years on first line therapy. I will probably be going to 2nd line soon. So how long can the next therapy last? So how do I find that info? Do you look up the specific drug being used to see PFS stats on that drug? Or is there a rule of thumb that the first line therapy is the longest line, on average?

I know everyone is different. But, just wondered how to answer my sister. And also to think about it myself. I got 3 1/2 years on Ibrance/Letrozole, will the next treatment not last that long, on average??

Thoughts....

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,030
    edited April 2021

Candy-Good to know you have a driver lined up. One time I had a procedure and they didn't tell me I needed a driver. I was able to take a Medi-Car home after a lot of arguing-it was no better than a taxi but I guess it met the doctor's requirements.

• Bliss58
    edited April 2021

LLF, will be in your pocket for all RT treatment. Wrapping my virtual arms around you with fingers crossed for little to no SEs.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited April 2021

Candy, to answer your question, there really is no hard and fast rule in terms of time to progression that I have been able to discern. It really is up to the individual and the cancer. In your case, you have ILC which seems to be slower growing although it's also sneaky so it's not always easy to figure out where it is going. In my case, my cancer appears to also be somewhat slower growing as evidenced by the long period from initial diagnosis to stage IV.

You can look at the stats for each drug in terms of PFS but that won’t tell you where you fit in the spectrum of responses. As an example, PFS for Faslodex is about 8 months. I got three years out of it, adding Verzenio into the mix after about 22 months as I anticipated I might be reaching the limit of that drug. I can’t remember the PFS for Xeloda but it is less than a year (I believe by a significant margin) and yet there are folks on this site who have been on it for years.

The only generality I am aware of is that typically we get less time on each subsequent treatment, particularly as things start to progress but again, that is not always the case. I have seen recent examples of ladies running out of options who landed on a treatment with a durable response of over a year.

I’m sure wiser folks will chime in but essentially, in my opinion, this disease is a crap shoot from beginning to end

• HopeandGratitude
    edited April 2021

LFF - thanks for the update. In your pocket for upcoming RT treatments and praying they do what they need to do. You have been at this a very long time and have such strength, hope and perseverance. You will get through this too. You are not alone. I think we are all scared...at least I can say I am. Trying to learn from you and others in this thread, to take it one day at a time, one scan at a time, one treatment/procedure at a time and not look too far down the road. Trying to stay present and live in gratitude for what I have been blessed with and not let this disease take that away. Sending prayers and hugs and always hope

• moth
    edited April 2021

candy, generally speaking, I've heard oncologists say that each line gives a shorter pfs than then previous lines. There is a largeish study saying mean first line tx duration was 163 days and mean 4th line was 130 days Ray S, Bonthapally V, McMorrow D, et al: Patterns of treatment, healthcare utilization and costs by lines of therapy in metastatic breast cancer in a large insured US population. J Comp Eff Res 2:195-206, 2013

tumors develop both resistance to hormone therapy & to chemo.

BUT as sadiesservant says, the thing is, some of those studies will have people who lasted a very short time on the treatment, and others who had a considerably longer response. And it's hard to predict still who will or won't respond - I think this might be one of those things that becomes clearer with the genomic testing & drug sensitivity testing being developed but right now it seems like nobody knows till you try it.

& in mTNBC we now have a game changer with Trodelvy for pre-treated pts. They're getting a substantial improvement in mean tx time - I think it might be longer than 1st line for many people which is pretty astounding.

I think we just can't know for sure. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst seems to be the only reasonable thing with this stupid disese

LFF - good luck with the rads. I hope whatever it is, they zap the hell out of it & you have no residual damage. I'll be counting down your 10 days with you!

Not much new here. I feel I've barely recovered from the last abraxane - it just slammed me so hard - & it's chemo week again (this thurs). blood work tomorrow so already the low level anxiety & hoping the liver blood tests are fine. I've been off immuotherapy for 1 cycle again while sorting out my lung issues so always worried that it's letting my liver mets run wild. CT on May 1 & bone scan May 5.

I'll be posting in the other liver treatments thread a new study about surgical resection of mets in MBC pts in case anyone is interested.

hugs everyone

• nicolerod
    edited April 2021

MOTH I hope those lung issues resolve and your blood work is all good. Also hoping you don't get as slammed this round with the chemo.

• moth
    edited April 2021

Thank you Nicole :)

I'm worried about Bev. Has anyone heard anything?

• nicolerod
    edited April 2021

Moth...I have PM'd her here about 3 times last week..and then I texted her this morning and nothing...... I am thinking she may be doped up and just sleeping a lot?? I did tell her in the text I was worried and that all the ladies have also been asking about her....