Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• Mel26
    Mel26 Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2015

Nancy,

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles. I hope that the Abraxane works well for you, as it did for me. I have followed your posts, and greatly admire your strength and positivity. Allow yourself to feel everything you are feeling at this time.The sadness and fear are understandable. Please continue to vent, as we are here for you.

Have a blessed Christmas.

(((((Hugs))))))

Melanie

• chichimaine
    chichimaine Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2015

I know I haven't been posting much lately, but I've been reading your posts and sending prayers for healing for all of us.The words of comfort and encouragement have kept me going through all the ups and downs of this year...Thank you all sooo much! Here's to a happier, healthier new year for each of us!!!

Debbie (Chichimaine)

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited December 2015

Nancy...I pray you will once again amaze & astound everyone with your healing powers.  You are so loved...

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2015

I second that Nancy, I've been thinking about you all week. Sending healing thoughts your way!

• Bail
    Bail Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2015

hello, I was wondering are there any side effects from the mess you are on. Is this a pill you take everyda

• Bail
    edited December 2015

I'm sorry I meant to ask you are there any side effects from the meds you are on and, is this a pill that you take everyday

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    edited December 2015

Hi Bail,

It looks like these are your first posts on this topic, so I checked your profile and see that you might now have liver metastases after earlier TNBC?

There isn't one treatment for liver mets that we all get, but my guess is that your oncologist has prescribed Xeloda as your first MBC drug?

Almost every drug has unwanted effects, as well as those we hope will shrink or stop the cancer, but it's impossible to guess what any other patient will experience based on a general list of possible side effects and desired good effects.

Bail, if you are more specific about your situation and which meds, we may be able to help you through these early days.

Meanwhile, sending warmest healing wishes, Stephanie

• artistatheart
    edited December 2015

Let us know how you are doing Nancy, thinking of you......

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited December 2015

Nancy, thinking of you. I find you an inspiration and hope Abraxane will do the trick.

Stephanie, you mentioned you try natural remedies for pain. I would love to hear more about that

• Longtermsurvivor
    edited January 2016

Hi JFL,

Thanks for asking about my natural approaches to pain. Sorry this is so long, but I feel like I'm running out of time and want to get this written down while I still have the focus to do it.

JFL, I don't think we've met yet. I've only been at bc.org for a couple of weeks and it's hard for me to sort out who's who and what y'all are going through.

This is from my introduction I shared at the Dying and Death topic: My name, longtermsurvivor, isn't my hope or wishful thinking, but my lived reality. I've been living with advanced breast cancer for 25 years. While I can't give you my survival secrets, I can share a bit of what I've learned - how to maximize "ease of well being", engage healing allies, substances and practices, and what I've learned about caring along the way.

So, here's my take on pain and other unwanted symptoms.

I've had to live with them my whole life because of a rare genetic condition - breast cancer with lung, pleural, liver and peritoneal mets are later arrivals on the scene that affect how I live within my body.

Because of early unfortunate experiences with many meds and surgical procedures, I tend to use the least amount possible for the largest good effect and the least unwanted effects. I also seek out holistic and integrative approaches including substances, procedures, healing allies, practices, process, service and faith.*

I don't think these are widely engaged in the cancer, medical or wider world, but I'm highly motivated to live my best possible life, given my physical challenges. I don't try to get rid of or control pain now, but to learn from and through it. It is my companion, that too often clamors for attention.

Also, physical pain is just one aspect of total pain as described by Dame Cicely Saunders, the founder of the hospice movement.

"All of me is wrong." This is how one dying woman, Mrs Hinson, described her pain to her doctor, Cicely Saunders. Saunders would often re-tell the story to explain her ideas about 'total pain' where there are no clean divides between what is physical, emotional, spiritual and social.

I will work with and from anything that comes my way...though I'm feeling into my limits of what I can't yet do (unrelenting pain and nausea do require some meds, just not to the point of dulling consciousness or bringing unwanted effects).

JFL, I hope you weren't thinking I'd send a list of herbal, homeopathic, body work, acupuncture, exercise and other tips for dealing with pain and unwanted symptoms. Sorry!

I hope this is helpful to you and others.

Sending loving, healing regards, Stephanie

* My personal definitions this morning, subject to change and upgrading. :)

substances = conventional and alternative medicines I take or inject or infuse or rub on my skin.

procedures = things like regular draining of ascites, now through an implanted drain.

healing allies = doctors and other health care providers including acupuncture, mental/emotional/spiritual support, my hospice team and my circle of caring friends who support me. Allies are those who see and support my unique journey and offer additional support that I may or may not incorporate.

practices = things I do on my own to support healing - self-touch & massage, movement, diet, meditation, relaxation, MBSR, creativity, writing, etc.

process = the deepening of these practices into a lifestyle, an approach and openness to how I respond to anything that comes through life or my body symptoms or from wherever. This is where cancer becomes more of a quest than a hinderance and I follow the adventure into unknown places that have expanded and enlightened my life.

service = engaging my experience, strength and hope to encourage and empower others on their/your unique life journeys. It has taken many forms, but is useful for easing my symptoms, distracting me from my own woes and gives me a sense of meaning and purpose.

faith = my current challenge - trust in others and how I fall into their care and how I surrender my body to the slow dying process.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited December 2015

Stephanie, thanks for your response. I have read some of your posts but we have not officially met yet. I read the discussion boards most days but sometimes go a while between posts. 25 years with advanced BC is amazing and inspiring! It is so valuable to hear from someone in your shoes as we all hope to make it that long. Have you taken the holistic approach the entire time? Your strength, peaceful outlook and positivity is infectious!

• Longtermsurvivor
    edited December 2015

Hi JFL,

Yes, holistic approach all through cancer and long before that because of rare genetic condition.

I forgot to emphasize the importance of intuition, rest and sleep as my healers.

Off to my morning nap now.

healing regards for all, Stephanie

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited January 2016

Stephanie, 25 years is a long time and it is admirable. It takes a special and highly spiritual person to grasp the whole meaning. I totally get you even though it has been only five years for me two of the, only stage four. You are amazing, kind and very much alive in every way. Warm and gentle hugs to you.

• Woodylb
    edited January 2016

Happy New Year to all of you ladies wishing this year will bring all of us , new hope, inspiration and healing all the way through and of course a cure if not for us for those who come after us. My prayers are with all of you , may it brings you comfort and peace of mind and pain free days all year around.

• artistatheart
    edited January 2016

The same back to you Woody! You are always so thoughtful about us all. Have a wonderful New Year and here's hoping for more good news on this battlefront.

• Isy
    Isy Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2016

and happy new year to all of you from a very hot and sunny Australia. Here's hoping for a safe, happy and healing 2016. Personally speaking things can only get better!

Stephanie, thank you so much for your totally inspiring post. I read it several times, your wisdom and serenity shine through and it resonates with me some of your insights that I am slowly coming to realise. Intuition is something I am really tapping in to as I realise that this journey is highly personal and our docs simply don't have all the answers. Luckily my onc is very much a "how do you feel?" Doc rather than a "let's look at your test results" doc. And for those of us who led very busy and frantic lives previously, being able to rest and recuperate is one of the "benefits" of this new life. A wake-up call to slow down and smell the roses, or the ocean in my case.

All the best to everyone you have all helped me so much. Hugs and love from the beachside, down under

• chichimaine
    chichimaine Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2016

Happy New Year to you also, Woody!! And all of the other survivors here! May this year bring peace and comfort and hope as well as cure for us all!!

• LvinAZ44
    LvinAZ44 Member Posts: 107
    edited January 2016

hello sisters.Happy new year

Well my new year seems to be off to a good start my liver enzymes are at a normal level. Dr is happy and we will do first ct scan on the 25th, excited and nervous. How everyone is well!!

• Woodylb
    edited January 2016

livn,

Happy for you starting the year with good news. I hope it will continue for a very long time.

• Bail
    edited January 2016

hi Steph just got back from the doctors and I have breast cancer in my liver and some in my bones. There are so many kinds of men's to take. Xeloda is one Paraplatin is another and Halavan is another. Can anyone give me some input on these. Waiting to have a liver biopsy. So confuse

• artistatheart
    edited January 2016

Bail, It doesn't say what your PR or Her status is but I am Pr+ Her- ILC and my Onc started me on Letrozole/Ibrance combo which are Oral Aramotose Inhibitors. Letrozole didn't last long so now I am on Faslodex/Ibrance combo as of last week.

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2016

Bail

I also have bone & liver mets. Like Artista, I was started on Ibrance/Letrozole which only lasted about 7 mos, then went into a GDC 0810 trial for 3 mos and just started Xeloda this past Friday. You should go onto the "all about Xeloda" thread to get valuable info about Xeloda. It's chemo in pill form. I really can't tell you much about it because this is only day 4 for me.

Wishing you an easy time whatever you and your MO decide

Babs

• Woodylb
    edited January 2016

Bail,

The most important thing is the biopsy at this point , as it is possible for the cancer to have changed or mutated. The biopsy will give a clearer idea as to what treatment you should take. Keep us informed and wishes for the best.

• Woodylb
    edited January 2016

Artist, good luck to you on faslodex/ibrance with the least SE's . Keep me posted .

• Bail
    edited January 2016

Had the scan and I have mets in the liver and bone. They want to do a liver biopsy and I have some options to think about. Xeloda, Halavan, Paraplatin, any suggestions sout there?

scared and anxious

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    edited January 2016

Just checking in. Trying to keep up with liver metsters. Looks like some are getting results and some still looking at Tx options. Only sending best wishes for all of us. It's hard to be us isn't it? Prayers that those nasty liver mets can be decreased , or rid of.

I'm still on gemzar. Have two more cycles (3 weeks on 1 week off ) into end of February. TM down from 1380 to 650 in three months. Liver feels better. Scan end of February. Finally have SE under control. Lower dose and onc added small dose of steroid three days for fever. No fevers, rash or edema. Much better. I'm optimistic. Stable right now. 👍 Gemzar has helped decrease the mets I'm sure.

Best in the New Year. Improved for all.

Hugs

Diana

• artistatheart
    edited January 2016

That's so good to hear Diana! You deserve a big fat break on those SE's. I hope it works for you indefinitely! Thanks Woody, I will. Just hoping my liver enzymes have stayed down or gone even lower. I get my second loading dose on the 11th and have been back on Ibrance for 5 days. I was sort of thinking she would not start me back up on that until we checked the enzymes while on just Faslodex.....Going to ask her about that. Bail, I think you have to let your Oncologist makes those suggestions based on a lot of details regarding your particular situation

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2016

Diana. I'm so glad Gezmar is working for you

Babs

• Woodylb
    edited January 2016

Diana, good news, happy Gemzar is working at keeping you stable, hoping it will do so for a long time. I join my hands with you in prayers for all of us on this thread and everyone on BCO . Hugs.

• sandilee
    sandilee Member Posts: 436
    edited January 2016

Had my scans this week, and picked up results yesterday. Xeloda has reduced my liver mets! Not by a whole lot, but reduced just the same. They are all under a centimeter now. I feel pretty good about staying the course.

The only problem I see with this medication is that my liver enzymes are higher than they are supposed to be- about double normal. I think the med is affecting the enzymes, as this issue started on this med, not with the appearance of the liver mets. So we'll see.