Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How are people with liver mets doing?

Comments

• nancyh
    nancyh Member Posts: 185
    edited February 2016

Happy birthday, Left! Hope you had a great day and enjoyed the sunshine.

• Isy
    Isy Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2016

Many happy returns leftfoot

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited February 2016

Thanks Diana and babs. I am like you Diana, I don't get too happy as i know how things can turn in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I still freak out for a day when not great results come back. I get pretty scared and I haven't even had anything that dramatic happen yet.......Then I hop on here and try to bolster up my spirits and it helps. I hope as time goes on I will deal better. Hey, Happiest Birthday ever Leftfoot! Celebrate every single one like a Rock Star!

• Woodylb
    Woodylb Member Posts: 935
    edited February 2016

Artist,

Good news , you are getting there hopefully in march you will get even better news. We will both wait for results in march as i will wait for the results of my scan also . :))

• artistatheart
    edited February 2016

Hanging in there with you Woody! Mine is on St. Patrick's day and I plan on dressing the part as I am 75% Irish! I'll be thinking of you with positive vibes!

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited February 2016

Leftffoot-happy Birthday and many more-god willing!
    Babs

• Mama2twinsplus2
    Mama2twinsplus2 Member Posts: 98
    edited February 2016

Happy birthday left!!

And congrats too all these good numbers!! I am so happy to see some good news!! I hope everyone is having a great day and we can keep those good vibes rolling on in!!'

Alissa

• Sarah0915
    Sarah0915 Member Posts: 81
    edited February 2016

Happy belated Birthday, leftfootforward. I think we have all grown to appreciate another birthday, spring, fall, etc. I am happy to see a new spring beginning to pop out for now.

• Woodylb
    edited February 2016

leftfoot, happy birthday ! And many many more with good numbers and wonderful results. Sending you my best wishes and good vibes. May all your days be filled with joy and sunshine :)))

• Isy
    Isy Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2016

the mystery of my bone progression, or not, deepens! Although some spots showed up on the CT scan, nothing appears on the bone scan or the X-Ray, not even any arthritis. Spoke to one of the junior oncos today who said that chemo can causeCT scans to be misleading and after all, it's only a set of grainy black and white images. (A bit cynical for a junior doctor I reckon). So I'm labelled a bit of a puzzle and continuing on gem carbo for now. Any insights from you well informed ladies appreciated!

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited February 2016

Babs...wonderful news to hear & I'm happy to share in the high fives!!!   Artist...woohoo for numbers falling & hoping for you & Woody to experience great scan news too!!  Leftfoot...Happy Birthday to you!  I'll bet your little darlings had a great celebration for you.  I'm sorry there are family members not doing well...prayers for them.  

• artistatheart
    edited February 2016

Thanks Ronnie, I think I can start the scanxiety stress machine in about 10-11 days......Loopy

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited February 2016

I'm having crummy hip pain...can't figure out why...of course the mind starts wondering into that dark area. My neck's been cracking and gp said maybe osteoarthritis but is sending me to PT.  One of my childhood friends, her dad was our elem principal, passed of mbc last week.  We reconnected after our first dx & were dx mets at the same time, 2012.  Hers started in bones, then liver & after 13 tx changes (so many) in 3 years, she's gone.  I spoke to her (and her 94 yr old mom!), a month before & she'd just gone on hospice.  So fast :-(. Yesterday, I visited a former co-worker, still a school secretary, who'll be having a dbl mst Monday.  She's triple neg. I have a feeling I may have sympathetic pain, right?????   What I want is a scan but I'm sure my onc will say no.  I had one Aug 6th & don't see him til April.  Thanks for letting me vent..XO

• Woodylb
    edited February 2016

Ronniekay, i am sorry for your loss. Vent away any time you like. About your pain, it does not have to be the dark place. Last month i got a pain on my rib and it is still here, my onc requested an xray , it showed a tiny fracture on the lateral side along the rib. I have been coughing a lot lately because of the heart meds side effects. My PET is not till end of March . So maybe your pain in not related in any way to cancer. My neck cracks all the time. Do notlet your mind wander. :)). My hips kill me from time to time , chemo has its downside you know? And you have done a lot of that, it weakens bones. ((HUGS)

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited February 2016

hugs Ronnie. I am sorry for your loss. I understand your worry about your hip pain. I have forgotten a few things lately and made simple mistakes. My mind immediately goes to my brain mets are back. I just had a clear MRI but when I do stupid things I worry. Cancer is sneaky that way. I hope that your worry goes away.

Hugs

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    edited February 2016

Ronnie

(((Hugs))). Sorry for your loss. MBC raises its ugly head and the anxiety begins along with the sadness and unpredictability.

Even though my liver responded to gemzar I did have progression in bones. After talking to RO we are just going yo keep an eye on it ( small spots) rather then go toxic rads. Staying on gemzar for liver and kidneys may help. I try to avoid too much toxic TX except for liver ad belly mets. waiting for scans is the worst.

The cancer pathology can change anytime it wants to. Maybe more difficult to TX but maybe less difficult as we go through this stuff. You never know and that's the hard part for me. I find myself constantly assessing my body; pain and performance.

Anyway. Losses of friends and people we know give us reality of what we are dealing with on a daily basis. Hang in there. Remember scans and blood work gather information for Tx.

Hang in

Diana

• kaayborg
    kaayborg Member Posts: 576
    edited February 2016

RonnieKay, thank you for venting. Sometimes I think I need to hear others fears as much as I do their incredible courage and attitudes of hope...allows me to be human myself. And I resonate with your feelings just as so many others do. I was never one to worry about little aches and pains. I'm not sure I believed anything bad could happen to me, as if that were somehow something just for the movies or other people's lives. Cancer's changed that for sure. Yesterday I found myself measuring my waistline again. I get a little more bloated and a little panic sets in. Couldn't wait to go to bed and wake up thinner again (I did). And, for some reason my hips and legs are aching much longer than usual after Neulasta so my mind goes to other explanations...what if? But, in the end I push it aside.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am trip neg and lost my aunt to the same 6 months after my stage 1a dx and 6 months before my stage 4 dx. She lived a year after dx so you can guess what I was thinking as far as my fate goes. Don't feel the same now largely because of the posts of many in these forums. Praying for your peace of mind!

• babs6287
    edited February 2016

Ronnie- so sorry for your loss. We're all there giving you a hug!

Please understand that you can always rant here-it's our safe place and nobody gets it like we do!

Babs

• luvmyfam
    luvmyfam Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2016

Hello, I've come to introduce myself and support and be supported by those in the same situation as me. My husband and I just got back from my onc and the liver biopsy done Wednesday was positive for me static cancer.

All of you here are such fighters. I know that sometimes we get down, but it seems like you all rally. I feel like I got sucker punched. I just wasn't expecting him to say it was positive. My onc says I have a lot of options because I'm young (42), and he's going to reach out to a breast cancer expert in Seattle and my old onc from MD Anderson.

Take care everyone, Erica

• kaayborg
    edited March 2016

Sucker punched is right, Erica! I'm 38 and in your boat with the added thrill of being triple negative. Still, treatment options only get better and better and there is much life yet to be lived. Thinking of you as you settle in to this new reality. It does get easier to face with time and support and you have oodles of support here!

Missy

• DancingVeggie
    DancingVeggie Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2016

Tips for pain when your liver is pressing against your ribs? Hurts to breathe or move much. MO gave me fentanyl patches but my liver can't metabolize them very well. I'm loopy for too long

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    edited March 2016

Hi Dancing Veggie,

Don't have a lot of tips, but have been doing the liver pain thing for over a year.

I'm currently under hospice care and take as little drugs as possible. Am using tramadol, lyrica and drops of morphine under my tongue for pain. Also some homeopathic medications prescribed to match my pain picture.

I pay lots of attention to what, when and how much I eat, since my liver presses against my stomach.

Also, shortness of breath gets worse with full belly, liver swelling and also the ascites (fluid in abdomen). So, I try to time activity around eating too. Or eating around activity. :)

A couple of months on low dose steroids helped last year, but that made everything but the pain icky.

See if you can get palliative care in addition to your cancer treatment. They really know their pain meds and are often more helpful than oncologists in tweaking prescriptions and treatments to get relief.

Sending healing light from California, Stephanie

• artistatheart
    edited March 2016

ronnieKay, I too question every little new pain. The other day I was having a lot of achiness in my hip that radiated down my leg. I finally linked the fact that I had my Faslodex shots and sat around in my work chair too long the next day. Just did not connect the two as it had never happened before. I'm so sorry about your friend. The worst part of this disease is the unknown, what will happen when. It drives me nearly insane at times. Unfortunately, all we can do is take it one day at a time and try to find the good piece of everyday. Welcome Erica, you will find so much comfort and support here!

• luvmyfam
    edited March 2016

One day at a time is right. I imagine after the shock wears off a little, it will be easier.

I'm sorry so many of you are in pain. I haven't experienced that yet.

Thank you for the warm welcome

• Woodylb
    edited March 2016

Hello Erica,

I am sorry you are here. It is always shocking and scary to find ourselves in a place in which we don't want to be. The unknown is always scary. Itjust takes time for the info to sink in. Once it does and you talk to your onc , you will get on board. Fortunately, many options are available nowadays. You and your treating team will choose what is best for you. Do not worry as you will gradually adjust to the situation and will be able to resume your life with quality.

The ladies here are wonderful , full of life and supportive. So feel free anytime to drop and ask what you want.

I wish you peace of mind and a long life,we will be all here for you to cheer you up.

• luvmyfam
    edited March 2016

Thank you, Woodylb, The treatment doesn't seem as extreme as the first time around. We are waiting for a PET scan next week and to get the results of the HER2 status before we decide, so, it's another waiting game.

Thank you for reaching out, I feel so guilty talking to my husband about it, he's stressed enough.

Hugs,

Erica

• kaayborg
    edited March 2016

Erica, what you say about stressing your husband also reminds me of my early months. I remember feeling similar to you. It was a while before we actually ended up talking about it, other than in very practical ways. He was so quiet and didn't really express how he felt and I hated the silence but also feared an emotional assessment of the situation. Once we finally did though, we both felt so much better.

• babs6287
    edited March 2016

Erica,

Welcome and I'm sorry you have to be here but, you're in the best hands possible. The women here are a great source of information and support. I don't know how I could have dealt with everything if I didn't have them!

Babs

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited March 2016

Ugh. Blood work back from yesterday's infusion. All 3 tumor markers up. I hate this disease. Hopefully nothing but ugh

• artistatheart
    edited March 2016

I'm sorry Leftfoot, I know how anxiety producing that is. Are your TM's normally a good indicator? If you don't mind me asking when is your next scan or what is next to find out what is going on? Hang in there and try not to project too many scenarios. It is what it is and stressing out won't help. Thinking of you and hope things resolve quickly.