Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Questions for Plus Size No ReCon Women - sizes 22, 24, 26 etc.

Options

Hi, I am trying to figure out clothes options for my professional life (suits, dresses, similar outfits) post - bilateral mastectomies. What will I do with a very large belly and no breasts? I am fine with no recon; I just need to be comfortable with the work related clothes options. On my own time, I'll go bare and be fine but work is super important to me and I need info/ideas/pictures. Help me. V

Comments

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2013
    Options

Well I'm a uniboober, about size 20 -22, and I finally bought a MX bra (3 of them) with prosthesis. Were you planning to go braless? I do that when I'm wearing something like a heavy linen/cotton "big" shirt, the kind you don't tuck in, that has pockets at breast level - but i do not have professional concerns so maybe someone will chime in...

• fiaranch1
    fiaranch1 Member Posts: 259
    edited November 2013
    Options

HVV,

Hi I am not a plus size but wanted to share what I have found to be extremely helpful as I do not ever plan on reconstruction,. I purchased the geni bra cami shaper (www.genie bra.com) and then ordered some foobs (fake boobs) from Mary at www.mastectomysolutions.com . She hand makes her forms and they are wonderful !!! She has all sizes . I only had my surgery on 10/22 so still relatively new . but I think these solutions will work well for me . Hope this helps !!

• kmpod
    kmpod Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2013
    Options

The description fits me - all too well.

I'm now two years out from my two mastectomies and I don't even own any foobs.

I'm retired now, but the last year plus that I was still working professionally I found that a black top, silky or knit, under an interesting loose jacket or shirt worked very well. The black top seemed to retreat into the background and the jacket camouflaged the belly.

This strategy worked well enough that most people didn't even notice anything had changed. The most common comment I got was (believe it or not) that it looked like I had lost some weight.

• LanaM
    LanaM Member Posts: 41
    edited November 2013
    Options

I am also a uni-boober although I now have a prosthesis and mastectomy bra. I work professionally and have found that layering with jackets and/or using scarfs seems to work pretty well. This helped a lot prior to getting my prosthesis and I think it will help during my radiation as well which I should start in Dec.

• Vivtwins
    Vivtwins Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi,

sorry this a bit of a late reply and you may have found your comfort.  I am a size 20/22 with bilat mx.  I am currently ditching the prosthetic boobs, they are too hot and uncomfortable for me.  I work in a school of boys so I am fairly self conscious.  I tend to wear a blouse with a ruffle around the boobline or jackets or quite baggy shirts.  I'm a lot more comfortable than I used to be.

I am hoping to lose some weight this year of possible PS discussions but I'm reasonably sure that I don't want to go down that route.  

Have you found what you are comfortable in now?

Viv x

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2013
    Options

thank you all for your support ... Of me and each other. I am mch more comfortable as I await surgery.

One day at a time seems to work best for me,

V

• Vivtwins
    Vivtwins Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi!

Glad you are okay!  When are you having your surgery?

Viv xxx

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2013
    Options

January 15th -- soon!

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2013
    Options

I got prostheses and wear them to work and when I am with others.  I am used to them and don't find them to be uncomfortable.  I had them fitted by a professional so they are the right size for my large belly!  My insurance actually pays for them and for replacements every two years. 

• aunt_paula
    aunt_paula Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2014
    Options

I am in that size range and had a BMX eight weeks ago. I've decided to stay flat for the foreseeable future and though I have a couple of mastectomy bras with breast forms, I rarely wear them, unless I have my heart set on wearing something that needs boobs. I also need clothes I can wear in a  professional setting. I am becoming a little more adventurous in terms of trying new things clothing-wise, and would like to learn to use scarves--I have never been good at that kind of thing. I am working on losing weight/improving my fitness level, but I am not self-conscious at all about my flatness, which helps a lot. One of my favorite things to wear for work is a cotton camisole (no "foobs") with a ballet- or boatneck (pullover) sweater over it, and I can make it more dressy if I need to with choice of earrings, etc.

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited June 2014
    Options

bi-lateral MX in 08, no recon. I wear layered shirts. Or shirts and jackets. No one seems to notice it with the layers. I too am not good with scarves but have worn some this past winter. It is a challenge because plus size clothes have such large darts in the top that it is very obvious and does not lay right. It takes some time finding stores that do not have as many/heavy darts. For layers I have found Ruby Rd. to be a good brand for me. I bought a metallic jacket from them and it has been the MOST versatile piece of clothing I own! 

It is just trial and error. Good luck.

• tsoebbin
    tsoebbin Member Posts: 199
    edited June 2016
    Options

I am plus size and considering no reconstruction. I'd love to hear from others and how they worked around the no boob/big tummy challenge.

Thanks

• denvmom
    denvmom Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi tsoebbin! 

I am 5 foot and at 180 lbs!  Had 2 C sections and a hysterectomy so I have a huge tummy and no boobs.  I have "fat wings" under my arms leftovers from my size G cup boobs.  I am happy to be without boobs but I am going to a plastic surgeon remove my "fat wings" this summer. 

I can only tell you what I have done.  I wear lots of Chicos cover ups and jackets/sweaters that go over tees/camisoles or in winter turtlenecks.  Those cover ups and jackets hide a lot of my stomach.  I watch women in moves and TV, like Kathy Bates and see how they dress larger women with no boobs...she looks great in cover ups and jackets.    Look for Kathy Bates movies and watch a few it helped me!

I also now wear scarfs with all my summer stuff, hides the fact I am "flat". I could not wear scarfs when I had breasts just added more bulk and looked bad.  Had an oriental friend who laughed when I told her I loved not wearing a bra and being flat.  She said she never wore a bra and had always been flat,  I had never noticed until she said something, but she just did not have much in breasts.  BC is not the only reason women are "flat", genetics make many women flat and many of them wear scarfs to hide that fact.

I hope this helps you!

P.S I am on Atkins now to try and lose weight...Carbs are bad for me and put on all my weight.  I can lose weight with Atkins but my love of bread and chips put my weight back on.  The years of stress with a husband who had a triple bypass, knee replacement, and more operations than these he had over 20 years did not help my weight either and then the poor man died of PC.   Such is life!

• pessa
    edited June 2016
    Options

I wear prostheses and look balanced (in my opinion). Stomach sticks out too muc if I were to go completely flat

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited June 2016
    Options

I know this is an old thread, but here are some of the tricks I used while waiting for implants (I had to wait a LONG time....)

In summer, I love the look of a plain T shirt decorated with a big, inexpensive, thin, pretty scarf. They are so large these days they can completely camouflage the chest area, and a big belly will disappear with the right pants or skirt.

In an air-conditioned office, wear a thin jacket or sweater with the T-shirt and scarf.... very professional.

You can Google "How To Tie Scarves" and get tons of ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYAEz777AU

If you don't like these, there are a gazillion more videos.

I also wore cowl necked tops - especially in bright prints - to add dimension to my flat chest, and balance out my, um, generous tummy.

• tsoebbin
    edited June 2016
    Options

Thanks to each of you for your replies. I am struggling with weather to recon or not. Such a huge decision, isn't it?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited June 2016
    Options

Another bilat masts here. I don't wear foobs for anyone. Why should I wear fake breasts to make YOU feel more comfortable?? I, too, have been told that it looks like I lost a ton of weight but I haven't. I've been 7 1/2 years flat now and haven't regretted a single day. I don't have to wear bras anymore...woo hoo!! I'd even had a breast reduction about 6 years before BC.

I use sweaters, jackets and "busy" tops to fool the eye. I also us chunky necklaces to draw the eye up. I've worked with people who have had NO idea I was flat. I go out in flat T's all the time and don't even think about it and sometimes wonder why someone may be looking at me strangely but I've only noticed it a couple of times in over 7 years. I can handle that. Most people keep their opinions to themselves. I don't comment on their chest, and they don't comment on mine. I've been in sales all this time and walk around as if I have the best two out there - cause I did!

I do notice that it's smaller breasted women that seem to crave reconstruction. The chance to get the breasts they've always wanted? Be careful what you wish for! For those of us who were larger, it's a relief to lose the bulk. You begin to stand differently once your body adjusts to the bulk loss - kind of like ballast for a boat....and your belly sits back a bit better. I still have my "fat ridge" (surgeons word) where my underwire sat. I thought I'd have lost it by now, but it's sticking around. It's a weird area to try to exercise.

I find confidence is the best way to camouflage the loss of my breasts. You can do this. I've never seen another woman in "real life" that walks around like I do, so I don't know where my guts come from but I'm glad to get rid of bras forever.

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited June 2016
    Options

I had non-traditional Goldilocks recon during my BMX surgery. This is a recon that works best for women who have big boobs. I thought I did, but apparently not, because I was left with these small, droopy old lady boobettes. They look terrible. I have been going flat due to having a LOT of complications with healing. I couldn't be fitted for a bra or cami due to my open wounds.

I have been very self-conscious in T-shirts or any shirt that clings to my abdomen. Without boobs, I look like I'm 9 months pregnant with twins. I thought I was getting more comfortable going flat, until today. I ordered some Knitted Knockers and they came yesterday. Just for fun, I put them in my soft, non-underwire bra and threw on a T-shirt.

OMG, they are great! So soft and just the right size and projection. They stay in my bra well and I must say, I have never looked perkier since I had my first child, LOL. DH loves them, I love them. I hadn't realized how much the flatness was bothering me.

I'll probably continue to go flat around the house. But I think I'll wear my Knitted Knockers when I go out, just to balance out my big tummy and give me a more "together" look.

• barbe1958
    edited June 2016
    Options

How does a bra stay on without the breasts to hold it from riding up?

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited June 2016
    Options

My PS used my skin to roll a decent size ridge at the bra line. Unfortunately, there was not enough skin left to make beautiful breasts. However, I can have her put in over the muscle implants at a later time, if I want to. Not sure I want to go there, but we'll see how I feel next year.

• barbe1958
    edited June 2016
    Options

Huh, I had no idea!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited June 2016
    Options

barbe! You have a new avatar! Very pretty!

Or am I just a moron for just now noticing something you changed a long time ago? Loopy

• barbe1958
    edited June 2016
    Options

Nope, just changed it last week. Got a wig finally to make up for thinning hair.

• reflect
    reflect Member Posts: 280
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi mustove poodles,

I've been curious about the Goldilocks, and the pictures I've seen have been all over the map--some good, some terrible. I have (I think) the right, huge, droopy breasts for this. G/H cup. Can you share your size, which you think was too small after all? Was your surgeon experienced with Goldilocks? Why don't they "lift" the breasts during this procedure? (seems like a non brainer). I'm sorry your results weren't good.

• denvmom
    denvmom Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2016
    Options

Barbie1958,  you said it girl!  I had G cup breasts and I am so happy to be rid of them...freedom!  I am 66 a widow and will never marry again, I would never find a husband like I had so not looking.  I hope all women who have gone through this trial of BC gets what makes them feel best!

• tsoebbin
    edited August 2016
    Options

I was in Target this weekend, and found a bunch of great shirts for plus size women. They have a new line called Ava & Viv and I bought 5 shirts that I can wear when I'm completely flat or with breast forms. I haven't washed them yet, to see how they wash up, but they sure are comfortable and look good. I'll try to post a picture

• tsoebbin
    edited August 2016
    Options

• pessa
    edited August 2016
    Options

thanks for the inf

• bevemar
    bevemar Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2019
    Options

I am 73 had a bi lateral mastectomy on May 20th, 2019. Was a size 22 women's plus size in blouses and tops, now I do not know what size to buy. I do have a tummy which will stick out without my big breasts now.

Does any lady have suggestions what size I need to buy for tops and blouses and I am not going to wear protheses bras unless I need to go somewhere, I will be flat otherwise.

I am 5' 2" tall and weigh now, without breasts, 202 lbs. Have lost 26 pounds thus far before bilateral mastectomy.

Thank you for any suggestions and size recommendations for me. I still have the 2 drainage tubes in and wrapped around my incisions. See my surgeon on Wed., May 29, 2019.